What is the best Thinkpad under 200 and preferably closer to 100 for basic web browsing and YouTube...

What is the best Thinkpad under 200 and preferably closer to 100 for basic web browsing and YouTube? Should be about 15".

T61 or R500.

this, or the T420/T520
also don't buy the T61p

T420

>also don't buy the T61p
why?

T430

Question

Is any of these cheap thinkpads for under 300 bucks good for light virtualization?

I got my T410 for £75, just have to keep an eye out. Though mine was only that cheap because it's a US keyboard and there's a slight blotch on the screen. And the touchpad is worn in the centre. (But works.) And the clit is missing.

But yeah, good little machine if you ignore the rough edges.

Good suggestions. Anything I should know about the T61 or T520? This is just for an older family member.

T61 and T61p with Nvidia GPU will usually die after a few months of usage, if it's not the super-rare version that was made really late in production

Don't get the T61 with nvidia GPU. Also don't get one with a 1366x768 screen.

The T61 will be much cheaper and probably perform just as well for what is needed of it.

>touchpad is worn in the centre
It's just a sticker, you can replace it with a new one

The older intel GPUs aren't supported anymore by firefox and chrome, they run like shit.

So the integrated graphics in the T61 will be good enough for 720p Youtube?

It will work, but it will not be using hardware decoding. Meaning that the laptop will be loud and hot when playing a video.

T400 w/ IPS+LED

X200

>buying the broken USB port one

Put a broadcom decoder card in it.
Costs about 10 dollars.

get something else if you wanna watch videos on youtube. 100/200 will give u shitty screen you could get more battery life and higher resolution if you don't get a memepad

thinkpads are for doing computer things not tv things

they are meme'd because their keyboards and reliability. you don't want a thinkpad you want a tablet

Shouldn't all the faulty Nvidia T61(p) units have already died by now?

Most are probably "reflowed" and will die soon. Or haven't been used much.

My T60 cost about £90 a few years ago. Should be able to find it for cheaper now.

It can do all my normal tasks easily with just ordinary distros like Xubuntu.

I don't stream video though because streaming is such a con.

Sounds like I'd be better off with the T520.
I want a durable computer for the old motherfucker. Battery life doesn't really matter and he can have a terrible 1366x768 screen for all I care, that's what he was using.

Cool. Where does everybody get their ThinkPad parts, by the by?

Depends what you consider light virtualization, I'm running native OSX and Win7 in parallels at decent speeds on my i5 T420 with 16GB RAM.

I mean running shit like lubuntu just to teach some basic stuff about how virtualization software works to a few people. Can't invite em to my house currently.

Besides, native OSX? Not hackintosh? How well do gestures work there?

By native OSX I meant hackintosh, not running in VM. It should work fine in your case, I even used to run XP in VM on T400 with just 4GB RAM and it worked without any problems.

Gestures are almost nonexistant simply because the trackpad doesn't support them, but I use trackpoint and keyboard gestures most of the time anyways...

T510 should suit your needs perfectly OP. I got one for my mom and she loves it.

Great suggestion, thanks.