Looking to make the leap to a Linux from Windows, what distro is best if I enjoy gaymen?

Looking to make the leap to a Linux from Windows, what distro is best if I enjoy gaymen?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You uh, you know Windows literally has Linux built in now so you don't need to "move" to Linux right?

Windows

Ubuntu and stop playing games you're an adult now.

Install antergos, it comes with steam installed.

Mint and stop playing games you're an adult now

Alright OP listen to me because these other guys are total faggots.

If you aren't a total wad then Linux will serve you better than Windows ever could and you would one day laugh at how you could ever stand to use such a crippling OS.

Is it "ready" for gaming in general though? No.
Whether or not an OS has games has nothing to do with how good the OS is. Linux has just as much potential (if not more) as windows to run games well. It just can't because developers don't make games for it.
Sure Linux _has_ a lot of games now, but it still seriously lacks in many many gaming departments, especially triple A games.

Is it possible to use Linux as a gamer? Absolutely, but only if your gaming needs are currently being served on Linux.

From the fact that you're asking us on Sup Forums instead of doing the research yourself I'm guessing that you don't know exactly what you need (meaning you're probably a gamer that loves getting the latest and greatest all the time), and if that's true then you probably won't be happy gaming on Linux.
If that's not true however, and you have specific needs (specific games for example, or if you're the type to only play a handful of games for years) that are already on Linux then you can definitely make the switch. The gaming situation on Linux is improving a lot lately thanks to steam. One day it might be a good choice for hardcore gamers that want the newest games, but not yet.

Honestly? The Linux thing for Windows they released some months ago.

You are still on Windows so you can keep doing your manchildren things, but you get all the development tools you use in Linux. Unless you want Linux for the kernel, I wouldn't know why you'd want just that. It's the best of both worlds.

I don't want to be on windows at all
I'm still in highschool, I have a good bit of free time and enjoy playing with my friends sometimes.
Checking it out now, thanks.

I don't really have any friends who use linux, that's why.

I'm not usually about the latest and greatest shit. I'm running a 760 and buy a brand new game maybe once a year, for example last year I bought Fallout 4 and this year I bought Civ VI, will I be able to run these games?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Don't install antergos if something goes wrong you will stare blankly at the command line when something goes wrong and not know what to do.

Was talking about the kernel though

If you just wanna get stuff done and play games, either Linux Mint or Ubuntu. (Preferably Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10 has been a bit of a crap shoot.) Mint and Ubuntu are basically the same just with different desktop environments, so pick what you like better. There are other Ubuntu "flavours" worth checking out for more DE options.

Don't bother with anything else unless you're feeling adventurous. Ain't nothing wrong with that, but it sounds like you want something that just works.

>I don't want to be on windows at all
Then you need to grow the fuck up and drop the video games, moron

Thanks

Mint is a lot less bloated than ubuntu no?

Pretty sure only autists like us give a shit about that famalam

Decided to try Mint first.

none

you're gonna need a vm with pci passthrough to play games, and it's a nighmate to setup

just install a linux vm in your current windows system and set it to turn on at startup

install solus

i mean, if you care about bloat go lxde

filtered

If worse comes to worse I will duel boot.

SteamOS technically its linux for gaming. Its Debian wheezy under the hud tweeked for gaming. And the international space station uses Linux debian too. They ditched windows.

>fallout 4
no, runs DX11 + which aren't working yet in WINE
>civ 6
is supposed to come out with a native linux version sometime next year i believe
currently works really well under WINE though i believe

appdb.winehq.org/ is what you want when looking for WINE compatibility

>currently works really well under WINE though i believe
this is a lie i dont know why i said this
however I should add any game that runs DX9 typically works just fine, not many new games seem to offer DX9 versions however, it's too old

>I don't want to be on windows at all
Why?

Because it's not as fashionable or edgy.

Hello from the other side.

Really hating Windows 10 still after endless tweaking, it's also pretty limiting.

I may also revert back to windows 7 or XP though.

OP? Is that you?
Dual booting or did you just fully jump into the deep end?

My recommendation would be Fedora.

# Fedora
+ Very recent software, but not as bleeding edge as Arch. This means you will have very recent video drivers and good hardware support.
+ Very well maintained repositories.
+ Lots of good guides and advice available because RHEL/CentOS/Fedora seem to be focused at sysadmins.
- Be default no non-free software, so you need to enable RPMFusion (officially supported) for things like the best video drivers and mp3 support.
- A version is only supported for 1-1,5 years. Upgrading is painless though. For LTS you could use CentOS (10 years support), but CentOS has older versions of software because it's mainly focused at enterprise and servers.

# Debian or Ubuntu
+ Ubuntu seems to be the distro most companies test for. Also Valve's SteamOS is Debian.
+ The LTS version is supported for 5 years, so no reinstalls.
+- There's a lot of bad advice/tutorials/manuals around Ubuntu. Usually you can use manuals from other distros though.
- The repos are not well maintained at all. Lots of outdated software unless you use Debian testing/unstable (it's in the name). People will recommend you to install third-party repos (PPA), which is generally a bad idea. (read wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian)

# Arch
+ Lots of manuals aswell, some good, some bad.
+- Rolling release, meaning no re-installations.
+- Very recent software, may also be a con since it may break ocasionally.
- A lot more work to setup and maintain.

Solus

Old graph is old. There's also no point in comparing distros like this.

Sure thing, microshaft shill.
Just accept that solus is the new kid in tin and he's here to stay.
It's hilarious watching these shilling attempts by windows pajeets to make solus look so bad, when it's obviously an amazing operating system.

>boot time

Call me when boot time is actually a relevant benchmark of system's performance in the day and age of computers that your average user powercycles once a day.

>Looking to make the leap to a Linux from Windows, what distro is best if I enjoy gaymen?

You are doing it wrong. You don't need to "leap".

Begin with a Linux install in a VM, which ur gaymen box will easily support. If you have an actual USE for Linux that will become apparent, but you can retain Windows for gaymin and run both at the same time.

You can try many distros in VMs. Ignore anyone who suggests dual boot. That was fine for 2005 when hardware was junk.

You don't need to gayme on Linux, and you don't need security on Windows if you only use it for gayming. Solves two problems at the same time.

Xubuntu+Android SDK and play android games

Win10/Lubuntu dual booter on a gaymen laptop here. Dual boot and Linux VM are best; WineHQ still rates Dark Souls 3 as garbage, and no dice on CrossOver or PoL either. I would VM, but my self control is garbage, so if I didn't boot into a no-gaming environment, I'd never get any work done.

For gaymen mate, or gaming?

If you way gaymen, go for MacOS.

For game with buddies, these are always the best choices for linux:
Tremulous
Teeworlds

Trem was the best game back in high school, though we were on windows.

Regardless, the two games above can be played.

>what distro is best if I enjoy gaymen?

Windows

You won't be able to play games on linux unless they are specifically made for linux. People that claim you can just emulate are retards. Most games will break constantly while trying to emulate them or simply just not work.

the only difference between distros is the package manager. do you really think a package manager would affect gaming?

just so you know though, you can not do any gaming in linux with an AMD card. you need nvidia.