EmDrive

Other urls found in this thread:

arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120
sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh yeah, apparently it works or whatever

>people being excited about this when we already have antigrav technology

Once you actually witness a UFO in real life you really can't go back to believing NASA memes

Yeah, apparently it works. They haven't tested it in space tho.

k

I heard it runs on time crystals.

It's funny because it's almost literally that troll science image of the guy holding the magnet infront of the magnet on his little pulley trolley.

>Yeah, apparently it works.
Same could be said for cold fusion.
Use one to power the other, perhaps.

You technically generate thrust you you shine light, since photons have mass.

>cold fusion
cold fusion was never reproduced.
This keeps getting reproduced in different labs, no one can figure it out.

>since photons have mass

what

photons are massless

that's like their most fundamental property

The testing method was valid, doesn't mean that it works.

>since photons have mass.
Sup Forums - smart people

MemeDrive

>they don't know about special relativity

Wow great argument user, you sure showed me.

I want the British cripple's opinion on this so I can parrot it online

this, desu.

>no one can figure it out.

The inventor explains it in a paper that any moderately intelligent person with a minimal physics background could understand.

What's fucking with everyone's mind is that nobody can imagine a way for it to work and preserve Newton's third law as it is currently written. We probably could have had production EM drives sooner but too many faggots couldn't get over "muh fucking laws of physics."

There are no "laws" in science. There are human theories and formulas which are abstractions, approximations of physical reality. When you observe something new that "violates" a "law" of physics, you modify the theory.

Same shit as with Newton's law of gravity. It was damn good...genius for the time period and the tools he had...and it's still useful in many situations. But it was ultimately found to be flawed, and a better approximation created by Einstein. Someday we will have an even better approximation than his.

Photons have momentum but have no mass. So yes, that picture is VERY relevant for you.

Photons have no resting mass. Good luck finding a resting photon in the universe.
That picture is in fact VERY relevant to you.

The only thing missing to complete it as a scam, is a conman like Elon Musk to shill it.

>We probably could have had production EM drives sooner but too many faggots couldn't get over "muh fucking laws of physics."

People are skeptical because it seemingly defies our current understanding of physics and that means that if it's actually legit(still not actually proven yet) there's either something wrong with how we're observing it or our current understanding of physics is wrong. The skepticism is perfectly legitimate, obviously anyone who's going to put down money on a test run of it is going to want to make sure that it actually works on paper first.

>be musk
>see all these old ideas that people didnt design because "it'd be stupid expensive and wont reap benifits"
>tricks US government to foot the bill

The only 'smart' thing about elon musk is that he isnt spending his own dime.
His projects (out side of Tesla cars) are retarded

>this thread

lel'd

Impossible. You can't just create fire with nothing.

people are mostly skeptical because the results are barely above measurement error level and it's not even conclusively proven that it's not in fact just a know side effet - not because "muh fucking laws of physics" as another user pointed out so eloquently. If the results would actually show a couple newtons per kW you can bet your ass that any fucking physics department and propulsion laboratory would jump on that. Nobody gives a shit about the "laws", everybody gives a shit about the money this could make them.

Yes you can where do you think the sun came from??

>What is the Wendelstein 7-x
Daily reminder that 2016 is the year that all things previously considered impossible turn real (eg: Perl 6, a meme president, propellantless engine and cold fusion)

>People are skeptical because it seemingly defies our current understanding of physics

But people avoided TESTING the damn thing for years because "muh current understanding of physics."

>and that means that if it's actually legit(still not actually proven yet)

The leaked (published yet?) NASA paper pretty much establishes there is thrust. Unless NASA royally fucked up their testing. Problem with that is everyone else is detecting thrust to.

>there's either something wrong with how we're observing it or our current understanding of physics is wrong.

That latter one.

>The skepticism is perfectly legitimate

Skepticism is legitimate. But the scientific response is to observe. Too many "scientists" today don't want to observe, they just want to discuss "muh laws!" Peer review is a fucking mistake. Money should go towards experimental replication. And results should be published in scientific journals ONLY once an experiment has been independently replicated.

We have multiple replications of thrust. (That's what she said.) If someone can show it fits in Newton's third law, great. But if not then revise the third law.

Cubs win the world series

Why are fusion reactors starting to like demonic?

NASA says they detected the predicted thrust in a vacuum and there are no side effects.

And yes, this was all delayed because for years nobody would take the inventor seriously.

>my body is ready

>NASA says they detected the predicted thrust in a vacuum and there are no side effects.
the Eagleworks has barely started with it, it was only some secondary NASA lab with no equipment that tested it

These posts hit the nail on the head. It's retarded that the general scientific community as a whole has moved into this realm of "our LAWS dictate the universe" and not "the universe dictates our LAWS". Of course, when a theory has worked for a couple of hundred years, you give it a lot of credibility - and there's always room for healthy skepticism. But 95% of scientists just sit around shouting "muh laws" and "muh thermodynamix" and shoot everything down that doesn't agree with their model. A model in which they constantly admit "we hardly understand anything about the universe" and then at the same time shout "bah humbug" at anything that might be outside our current understanding because muh-300-year-old-scientist

>NASA says they detected the predicted thrust in a vacuum and there are no side effects.
that's nice, test in space, I can claim "no side effects" too.

Its design was actually made by a computer for the most efficiency

>ok now put a pentagram in that tube
>but WATSON, why wou...
>do it

Computers are made by the devil.
Sup Forums is the devil's board.

Considering the definition of UFO, I think most people have seen them.

there is nothing "demonic" here: electromagnetic fields can be very complex so the design was done by a sophisticated AI for maximum efficiency.

>buh...buh...i bet it doesn't work in space!
It's going to work dude.

>tfw the apple I sold for $666.66
>tfw apple's logo is literally the apple given to eve
brb installing TempleOS

It's funny how this is supposed to be the cutting edge of AI design but it looks like a Minecraft build that someone didn't plan out properly

If you squint your eyes, that looks pretty much like a lovecraftian monster.

why are you linking this shit? You're proving my point, link me something from the JPL

>link me something from the JPL
I doubt many people here can read Japanese.

>Although thermal shift was addressed to a degree with this test campaign, FUTURE TESTING EFFORTS SHOULD SEEK TO develop testing approaches that are immune to CG shifts from thermal expansion. As indicated in Sec. II.C.8, a modified Cavendish balance approach could be employed to definitively rule out thermal.

Blame the design of the torus and the way plasma behaves in a magnetic field.

Plasma in a magnetic field likes to twist around. Doing so makes it unstable, and makes it hard for the magnetic coils surrounding it to control it.
What the Stellerator design does is that instead of trying to null out the plasma twisting like the Tokamak design does, it works with it, twisting the torus around in tune with the plasma.

Downside of this though is that the torus ends up with a really fucking wonky shape, and thus all of the external magnetic coils must be custom designed for each segment of the torus to ensure the fields work as intended.
It also requires cryogenically cooled superconducting supermagnets for the coils so they do their job.

Result: Reactor looks really fucking weird.

>Trying to make a propulsion system from an effect so small that scientist aren't sure if results are noise or even above error margin of the measurement.
Even if the effect is real (which is not) there is no way this will ever find any useful application. Reminds me of the real but useless endeavor if trying to extract energy from the Casimir effect.

God.

you idiot, this isn't about making a space ferry to Sirius. If this thing works as advertised it destroys Newtonian physics for good.

but anyway the chinks reported a much higher thrust

Pretty interesting shapes there

From compressed matter.

This people don't even understand why they are measuring trust, give them time. If they are able to remove any noise factor and the anomaly is still there then physics all around the globe will try to find some explanation, probably some ad hoc hypothesis in the standard quantum theory, and after more experimentation they will be able to improve the design and produce much more trust.

>predicted thrust
>thermal shift wouldn't match prediction
>thermal shift 99% ruled out any way
>GUYS IT MUST BE THERMAL MUH LAWZ!

>i cant into space propulsion over time: the post

Looks like something Giger would come up with

>It also requires cryogenically cooled superconducting supermagnets for the coils so they do their job.
aren't they essentially coils of superconducters in both designs?

Mate, have you ever talked to a scientist? Most of em would be thrilled to find new physics. They're just also highly skeptical because they have to sift to retarded ideas and false hopes all the time.

thrust to weight ratio in testing is atrocious

>The inventor explains it in a paper that any moderately intelligent person with a minimal physics background could understand.
No he doesn't. He only gives his own hypothesis that can't even be proven. He's a fucking engineer who discovered the drive by accident and doesn't even know how it works.

By far most inventions are done by engineers. You don't have to understand something to come up with it.

The only reason why is that scientists are reluctant to try new things. Engineers just try shit and see if it works.

>By far most inventions are done by engineers. You don't have to understand something to come up with it.
I didn't imply otherwise. I'm just saying he's not qualified nor knowledgeable enough to explain how his own invention works.

Does this mean that Half Life 3 will eventually come out?

ITT: retards who don't know that this doesn't mean shit and won't change anything

>By far most inventions are done by engineers. You don't have to understand something to come up with it.

As an engineer, I can say your statement is full of shit. You do have to understand the principles and mathematics behind your invention to create it.

Funny how the key to interstellar travel was a bucket and a microwave all along

>heat air inside a close cone using microwaves
>it generate lift
>call it thrust
>reap all the memes

I like to think that making such an odd reactor will cause the plasma to not twist at all resulting in total failure of the design and back to the drawing board.

Then how was the memEmDrive invented?

The irony of the emdrive is probably lost on you.

>2016 is the year that all things previously considered impossible turn real

Still no Year of the Linux Desktop.

> Wai eben lives?

the year of the linux desktop is beyond impossible

Photons are affected by the gravity of black holes, thus they must have mass.

>look mom, I broke the laws of thermodynamics!
next?

>being this retarded

>This keeps getting reproduced in different labs, no one can figure it out.
1. No it doesn't.
2. All reports of any anomalous forces have been close to the threshold of measurement error

These weird “nobody can explain this!” meme phenomena always seem to get weaker and weaker as our measurement precision increases, lmao

What the fuck has a stellarator got to do with the cold fusion meme?

Fucking hell Sup Forums, at least troll in a logically sound way

What happens if I stick one in my ass and turn it on?

>1. No it doesn't.
>2. All reports of any anomalous forces have been close to the threshold of measurement error
Your 2nd point contradicts your first. They keep finding an effect ABOVE the threshold of error, no matter how small/

You're all talk and full of shit.

They are

The big difference between stellarators and tokamaks as far as I can tell is that the tokamak induces a magnetic field in the plasma itself, essentially turning the plasma into its own magnet that traps itself.

But apparently this is not working as well as anticipated because it's too hard to control and keep stable, so interest in the stellarator design has renewed (which does not require cooperation from the plasma, but instead builds all the necessary confinement into the magnet design itself)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sounds like horse shit without a source.

Friendly reminder that a reactionless drive would basically allow any idiot with a solar panel and a brick to destroy the earth. When you violate the third law of thermodynamics, all sorts of completely weird and fucked up things happen to the universe.

You'd microwave your colon.

>When you violate the third law of thermodynamics, all sorts of completely weird and fucked up things happen to the universe.

I can confirm that. You violated the third law of thermodynamics the moment you were born and now Trump is the president of the united states.

You'd jump two weeks into the future.
Just in time for your birthday Asuka-chan.

>Sounds like horse shit without a source.
You can read the entire paper if you like.

reminder that our "laws" of physics are not the definition of reality, but formulas that match reality under the conditions we've been able to experiment with, and therefore any given law in the history of ever could be incomplete and invalid in certain circumstances

sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published

The emdrive is pulling energy from an alternate dimension, and once the aliens there notice, they'll blow ours up. Cheers.

>Your 2nd point contradicts your first. They keep finding an effect ABOVE the threshold of error, no matter how small/
Here's your reply

>anime website

>t. Hasn't Read the Paper

Who are you quoting?

More like interplanetary. For interstellar we really need to find a way to manipulate gravity (or some other way to warp space) to cheat light speed.

Photons are typically referred to as massless when thinking about them from a particle perspective. Wave-particle duality threw that on it's head though and special relatively dictates that energy and mass are equivalent. It doesn't make sense but in short yes they do have mass. Theoretically, their rest mass is 0 but good luck ever getting a photon at rest. Funnily enough, the light from the sun actually exhibits an incredibly fucking small force on the Earth pushing it away.

The gravity of black holes warps space time itself, the protons move in a straight line through warped space.

MOMENTUUUM NOT MASS

>heat air
>in a vacuum
>Sup Forums education

Jesus if you're going to cry MUH LAWZ at least cite the correct fucking law. Hint: it's the third one from a guy whose name starts with N and ends with ewton.

>can't be true because muh third law of thermodynamics
>"The entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is exactly equal to zero."
>having anything to do with the em drive
Don't talk until you have some remote idea of what you're talking about.

>Who are you quoting?

I'm pointing out that this faggot doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is Sup Forums and it's worse then trying to debate dinosaur bones with a YEC.

>claiming to measure forces in the μN range, well within the realm of error due to dozens and dozens of different environmental considerations
I find it far more likely to assume there's some error source they haven't accounted for, than I find it likely to assum all of physics for the past few hundred years is about to get shattered.

If this was true then why don't they scale it up to the range where it would produce an actually measurable force?