Text based filemanagers general

What are some good textbased file managers for linux? I have my eyes on GNU Midnight Commander.

They're all ugly and impractical, just give up.

ls

But I'm using i3wm and I want to feel cool.

ranger

When I switched I always thought I'd fire up thunar every now and then but haven't touched it in a long time.

Ranger

(You)

Vifm is pretty cool too.
And if you just want to browse files and not move them around or something, I recommend noice

Midnight Commander also has a nice text editor, mcedit

When loading mc from a getty console, it takes about 6-7 seconds to start, and the $PS1 prompt is empty (displaying only $ if regular user or # if root). When starting mc within a terminal emulator running in an X session, everything is fine (mc starts instantly and the full prompt is displayed). What could be the problem?

Why not just use a graphical file manager, or stick to console?

You're trying for the worst of both worlds.

ranger?
I'm using nautilus, you don't need to go full retard/text based user.

Finally

I use Ranger with the snow theme, but couldn't pass how to change the pane to show only two panes, one pane for browsing and one for displaying pictures/metadata

wish I could 'mark' selections too

change the column_ratios setting

My one.

Ranger + W3M

OP is a faggot. What is the best VISUAL file manager? I just installed Ubuntu Mate and I am already sick of Caja and would like something else.

You can pry Norton Commander from my cold dead hands.

>You're trying for the worst of both worlds.
mc have a prompt. Autocompletion don't werk, but it's still better than nuffin.

Ranger user here.

>'mark' selections
What do you mean by this?

literally nautilus

Ranger

Ranger has a prompt with autocomplete and you can use a mouse if you want. It is the best of both worlds

Try spacebar

zsh.

Ranger.

Thunar is objectively the best GUI one though.

ranger if you want to look pretty
vifm if you want to get shit done

I used ranger when I had 3wm because it has cool features. For example you can view a preview of images. (picture related)

ranger is more practical and useful then vifm
liking those identical #s by the way

seriously OP, ranger is unstoppable/unmatched once you get used to it, figure whats what, and unlock its full potential

Ranger. It supports previewing for files including images via libcaca or w3m and is very customizable

Ranger is basically mc with that image preview thing.
mc tends to load big folders a lot quicker, and is overall more straight forward to use.

I like ranger but its só slow.
It takes half a second to load and you notice some atuttering on big folders.

>Room filled with morbidly obese neckbeards at FSF HQ

>The sound of ancient mechanical keyboards being pounded by grotesque oversized fingers forever reverberating sharply

>A grumble

>A wheeze

>The sound of phlegm being coughed up into the side of a metal trash bin

>'Yes! I have finally recompiled the original text based file browser from GNU to work on GNU/Linux!' Wheezes Philbert 'We can begin to spread the word of free as in freedom software to the masses as this text based file manager is superior!

>Now all it needs is a name!'

>Suddenly the sound of trumpets and angel choir

> RMS floats in wearing full evangelical garb chewing fitfully on some substance most likely extracted from his big toe

Philbert begins masturbating furiously

>It Shall Be Called Midnight Commander!

>Unanimous agreement throughout the room Philbert grunts as his massive load lands on RMS's foot

I don't remember mc having an open_with function, its just seems less configurable/feature rich. I maybe wrong, but either way it all boils down to choice.

I use dolphin.
It is a bit of a heavy alternative and has an X dependency, but it is better in every way.

Ranger, mc, and nautilus/thunar for android phone

If you dont like colors if mc change terminal colors(.bashrc)

And ofc CLI

So, nobody has an idea why this might be the case? Btw mc actually doesn't read the PS1 and PS2 variables for some reason (both prompts are an empty string within mc, and so are the variables when printed via the mc command line).

>If you dont like colors if mc change terminal colors(.bashrc)
you can. You can also edit mc config file, set it to transparent background to match your terminal.

Ranger rewrite in C when?

Caja is literally the best though, either that or PCMan/SpaceFM

>console fm
dired in emacs

Get a job NEET