My PC stopped working when I hot-swapped a RAM stick while it was running

My PC stopped working when I hot-swapped a RAM stick while it was running.

>I am a fucking retard
What the fuck were you expecting you fucking mong

Sorry to hear that. Next time, try insulating your hands with cloth, or a anti-static band. This will prevent excess electrons from escaping your RAM module and keep your computer stable during the swap.

>hot-swapping RAM
what led you to believe this would work?

I made sure my Task Manager showed Windows was only using 2-4GB of RAM, I assumed it was safe since I left a 4GB stick in there.

Reminder to make sure that you secure your RAM sticks in properly so you won't have to pull them out all glowing and smoking. Luckily the RAM slot still works.

UNSUBSCRIBE

You probably took the full one out. A good way to check is to pull it out halfway so that the OS recognizes that it's about to be swapped, and move the remaining memory to the other stick. Wait a few seconds and then you should be safe to take the stick out fully.

You have to Logout first before Hot swapping memory/cpu/video card

t. Professional hot swapper

I just read the other thread and see this immediately after. Looks like OP caught some big (You)'s.

>bait
Also how did you know which one actually had the 2-4 gigs. What if they were split?

I had 6GB, 2+4.
So I assumed so long as it was using more then 2 but not more then 4, I'd be good.
I put in 8GB 4+4.

There's a reason why retards like you are supposed to stay in Sup Forums. Don't leave your containment board anymore.

fucking laughed out loud.

Sup Forums - Your personal blog

I'm a retard, so quick question.

Can you insert a ram stick while the system is running? I assume that it wouldn't be picked up by the OS, but I'm wondering if it would crash the system or cause some electrical problem.

you could very easily cause a short and damage the mobo, as retard OP has done.

Isn't SATA drive hot swappable though?

how many sticks of SDRAM have you seen that use the SATA bus?

Try and report back to us.

None. I was more so comparing ram to sata in terms of an electrical short

faggot

SATA is hot pluggable by design, not to mention it doesn't require constant current through it

i wonder where op got the idea for this thread from...
remember to sage

>RAM slots, a literal electrical circuit ready to be connected.
>SATA, a serial port I/O device

fuck outta here

As I said in the beginning "I'm a retard." I'm just trying to learn... So what would happen if I plugged a hard drive into a running PSU?

>let me shoehorn my completely unrelated political grievances into this insult
Little grumpy about something, faggot?

>So what would happen if I plugged a hard drive into a running PSU?
absolutely nothing until you connected it to the motherboard's sata bus, at which point the os would see an new device.