Mini-ITX Cases

I'm considering to build a Mini-ITX system sometime in the future, and I've found a Fractal Design Define Nano S for £45 without the side window.

To anyone reading this with good knowledge on Mini-ITX cases, would you consider this case a good choice? If not, which one would be considered superior?

Just curious, why a mini case if any kind? Space issues?

Ncase M1

Honestly, I'm not sure myself. My current case is rubbish, and I just came up with the idea for my next system to be a Mini-ITX system.

I've been looking at that case, along with the ridiculous A4-SFX. I wouldn't get the latter, but what's better about the NCASE M1 apart from a smaller form factor?

I would honestly recommend getting an ATX case, as pretty much most parts are made with ATX in mind.

Not sure what your future "budget" would be, but it seems like you're mostly brainstorming right now.

What hardware do you plan on using? AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD

I might have concerns about ventilation. The front section of the chassis doesn't have any openings.

If you're building a mini-ITX system for portability, should you swing for something with a handle?

It's pretty standard as far as ITX cases go, which isn't a bad thing. I would recommend it, but I would also look around for whatever might pique your interest more.

Usually it's because people want something compact with the basic components needed to run a computer. The main advantage to me is portability, so if for instance you go to LANs often and want a single desktop you can tote from your home to the parties, it can provide a solid layout. The only downside is most high-end graphics cards won't fit (few 1070s and many 1060s, for instance, will work usually) and because of the need for compactness, you usually won't be adding anything else once you're done. Cooling is sometimes an issue, but as long as you give it proper airflow it'll be fine.

Based on what I gathered from what OP is saying, he just had the idea randomly. I remember when I built my first (and current) computer someone tried to convince me to go for a smaller case and I did research and realized it would have next to no upgrade potential which I really wanted.

Most likely Intel & Nvidia, I've recently upgraded to the EVGA GTX 1060 SC. In terms of budget, I've got roughly around £780 to spare.

Not entirely interested in portability, since I'm a filthy hermit. Although, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider a Mini-ITX case with a handle.

Honestly, I'm just looking for a good Mini-ITX case which will be simple to build my system in. That and some good airflow.

>The front section of the chassis doesn't have any openings.
Are you stupid?

>Honestly, I'm not sure myself.

Assuming you aren't gaming or don't otherwise need a lot of computational power, it would probably be cheaper to order a single-board system like a Raspberry Pi or Banana Pi. They're perfectly suitable for common desktop tasks like browsing or text editing. You should be able to find everything you need to get one up and running for around $50 USD.

Of course, this is a whole different CPU architecture. You'll have to use GNU/Linux, and there are maybe a handful of distros that have actually been ported.

I opted for the inwin 901 for my mini itx build

You have a fair point with the upgrade potential. However, it seems the Nano S wouldn't have an issue if I was upgrading a current component towards a larger one. Such as a GPU. It's kinda why I'm interested in the case.

i have the same case and for the most part, i love it.
only issue i had was the motherboard i got for it doesnt really fit well in the case. the ports on the motherboard dont fit well with the positions of the grommets so some ports are either really hard to get to or pretty much blocked off.
so pay attention to that when youre buying your motherboard.

its not the smallest mini-itx case out there but theres enough room for multiple storage space which fits my needs.
the "true" mini itx cases usually only hold up to one SSD drive to keep everything small compact.
so i guess it really depends on what your needs are.

Just make sure what you plan on sliding in has enough clearance. That's the big hurdle with ITX as a whole.

If it doesn't work, then mATX would be the next best bet.

ftz01 is the best choice in terms of price, quality, and performance.

Maymay

Go for horizontally mounted cases. Having the psu hang over the motherboard is an awesome feature. Silverstone make a lot of cases like that

Oh, I do play video games and such, just not as much as I used to.

The InWin 901, huh? I'll look up some reviews of the case later tonight.

Just curious, what motherboard did you get? Just want to be safe, in case I order the same one for this case too.
I know I'm going to possibly get called a madman for this, but I actually have a 1TB SSD running my system. It's a Samsung 850 EVO. I got it last year for £150 (perhaps £160, I'm unsure) and at the time I thought it was an absolute bargain.

I recently found a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MINI for $40, Awaiting their reply now.

wasn't necessarily looking to build a M-ITX but its a pretty good deal.

You should be very happy with the design define nano

Shit cable management or so I've heard

Don't worry, the EVGA GTX 1060 SC's width is really small. My CPU cooler is also very appropriate for a Mini-ITX case, since it's a NH-L9i

Seems like an interesting case, I'll give it a look later.

I've seen that case, but for some reason I just don't like it. I don't have a solid reason, there's just something about it that I somehow don't like.

Noted, I'll take a look at said cases.

>mitx
>cable management
choose one

When I built my first computer, I went for a mid ATX case which I regret now. There is so much empty space in the case and I don't need 10 hard drive bays. It's ridiculous. It's way easier to upsize from mITX than to downsize to mITX.

Nano S has great cable management space.

This is also one of the reasons why I'm thinking about getting the Nano S. Although I'm not completely bothered about the cable management, since the case on sale doesn't have a side window.

Cable management is also good for airflow (which is even more important for a small case) and to make servicing/cleaning your computer easier. Anyways, the Nano S is not really small at 36L, but it does make for a good beginner ITX system. You wont have to worry about cooling or restrictive space constraints.

Oh yeah, I'll make the cable management clean, I just meant that I wouldn't make it look beautiful or a work of art.

minis are a pain in the ass to get into to clean/organize

I don't doubt you, but the Nano S seems to be spacious enough to be easier than most Mini-ITX cases . Yet again, I have no experience in building Mini-ITX systems in general.

ITX is a cancer form-factor, don't do it. Cable management is awful, thermals are awful thanks to /noairflow/, and you'll typically get more noise our of them because of the above.

All that isn't worth saving space, even in a tiny studio apartment an ATX Full Tower is the ideal case form factor.

I've built in the Nano S before, it's super easy to do. Hardest part is reaching your hands and tools in to plug the system and cpu fan headers. So plug the fans into the board and then put the board in the case. I used the Noctua U12S I think. It got close to the roof of the case and the heat sink is sharp so it made the installation difficult.

You've never built in an ITX system then. The nano S I've just mentioned comes with two fans, sound dampeners and and the Noctua cooler is virtually silent. We have the 1070 FTW and the fan never comes on except when gaming or rendering. You still can't hear it even then, there is tons of airflow with this case.

>Cable management is also good for airflow
Well, not really. See LTT video on the subject, I was a bit surprised.

How is the case working out for you? I was eyeballing the 901 a few months ago but apparently they stop selling the light brushed aluminum version :(

It is literally just a shrunk down version of the ATX version which is amazing so its probably a fantastic case and i would buy that for 40 dollars in a heartbeat.

I'd really like that case if not for that shit ass badge on the front.

>ATX Case
>Where a hard drive cage and PSU don't take up an obscene mount of space

Or.....
>An mITX case
>That has a fucking hard drive cage

I'm tired of half the cases nowadays catering to CLC fags

im halfway through building with this exact case
this case is 10/10

Fractal Define S has HDDs on the back mounted vertically allowing for 3x120mm in the front. I dig it.

Some ITX cases don't get intake from the front. About half of them get intake from the sides and top.

This is the only correct solution to mini itx build
(pic related)

space issues?

It's a lovely case.

I've been looking for an ITX case as well but I want one without a window because silence>seeing your gay PC hardware.

But Nano S is more expensive in non-windowed because it's less popular and less carried by retailers and the EVOLVE ITX doesn't have a non-windowed version;

soooo what are my options? will be housing a gtx 1070, i5 6600k, and all the rest; prioritizing silence and being cool over anything

minis are for girls

full tower or fuck off you queen

Its a superb case, fits really long gpus aswell if you're in the need.

Cable management is the best ive felt on an itx case.

I have a celeron g1610t sat on my desk doing fucking nothing. Are 1155 boards still around? Most websites I frequent for parts have already taken those boards off their sites and on eBay they're fucking pricy still. Literally just want a cheap case with ~6 3.5" slots, a nice and quiet psu and some hard drives.

OP here, surprised the thread is actually still up.

It does indeed look nice, however the yellow tag next to the CPU cooler is somewhat annoying me.

Damn, what GPU is that? That's quite the length.

You can easily remove the badge. I have this case.

I've been wondering, i can get the nano sfor $40, but ncase for $200, what is so sepcial about it so that i would pay 5 times the price?

Is it just like a regular adhesive, similar to car badging? How's the build quality otherwise?

It's a niche product. No other case of its size can fit what it can. Full aluminum construction. Looks pretty good. Some people like having the best stuff, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

>no other case of its size can fit what it can

So what can it fit that for example nano s can't? Just curious.

I said "of its size." The Nano S is twice the volume, so of course it can fit more.

Just curious what speakers are those?

No idea, it's not my picture.

I was going to port my 2500k into a mini-ITX box for my younger brother or gf when I'm done with it. Smaller cases are nice.