/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zNNpm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/v4phm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NM3RgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/z3g3m8
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
pccasegear.com/products/22711/asus-vg248qe-24in-widescreen-144hz-3d-monitor
pcpartpicker.com/list/L2GcRG
au.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&r=8192&sort=a8&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/DMyFKZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/48zvqk
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/firmware-updates-begin-rolling-out-to-fix-gtx-1070-memory-issues/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XVR4BP
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XVR4BP/by_merchant/
pcpartpicker.com/list/w2fpm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/cHb84C
pcpartpicker.com/list/6kn2bj
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dW7wkT
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n8KTPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/zQJwkT
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VGzvqk
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&cm_re=pixio-_-9SIAB714894154-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw my 6 yrs old seagate just won't give up.

Is there a difference between these two drives besides the price?

noctua heatsink or h100i?

Essentially the same

Gonna take my time and wait until January to get the CPU/GPU as the prices will hopefully drop drastically. Really excited, as my current PC is ancient 2010 tech.

How well will this run GTA V?

>How well will this run GTA V?
Sorry, your build is too underpowered to run GTAV even at 480p.

All those parts aren't worth the money.

Can you get am4 boards yet?

Price for ram is the same for 3200mhz and the 3000mhz in amazon

this

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zNNpm8

I have an i7-3770 with a Raedon HD 7870 2GB and I'm looking to upgrade the GPU.
Which one should I take that isn't too expansive (was thinking about the RX 480 since I'm not playing that many recent games) and should I think about upgrading the CPU as well?

Hello Sup Forums i'm looking to build my very first gaming PC for under $1200. I'd assume an i5 and a 1060 will be sufficient for 1080p 60fps?

As this is my 1st time would you please kindly take a look at my build and please give suggestions?

pcpartpicker.com/list/

pcpartpicker.com/list/v4phm8
Should I get the AMP! or AMP! Extreme 1070?

first build hopefully

pls r8 and change shit

shit forgot a mobo someone help me pick one

>unironically considering a mechanical keyboard with a sub-1k budget including a monitor
>no ssd

pcpartpicker.com/list/NM3RgL

CPU is still really strong. RX480 would be a solid upgrade.

thanks user

i'm gonna keep the original 144hz monitor i had though

144hz is a fucking meme

144hz is only a meme if you don't play first person shooters or you're poor.

This.

even if it is a meme

the original one i had is cheaper than the one you gave me and it still has a higher refresh rate

i don't give a fuck about the three inches i'm losing in real estate

also i mainly play cs:go so the 144hz actually matters :^)

Can anyone recomend a good computer monitor that would be easier on my eyes? My current one sucks and gives me headaches. Im not a gamer but would like it to be decently big.

I have thousands of hours in CS yet it don't feel like I need a 144hz monitor, or a $150 mouse/keyboard.

2560x1440 vs 1920x1080 is much more important

>playing games in 1440p
meme
either play in 1080p or 4k imo fuck 1440p

high refresh rate monitors are actually really nice to use on desktops considering you don't get nearly as much jitter on scrolling and moving windows

it's like going from a monitor that ghosts to one that doesn't, it doesn't seem like a huge change on paper but makes a huge impact in how nice it it feels to use

I'd rather have a 24" 1080p monitor at 144hz than a 27" 1440p monitor at 60hz

>playing cs:go at 60 Hz
How's that working out for you?

Your opinions are shit. Stop posting here.

this desu

>2560x1440 vs 1920x1080 is much more important
No, user, it is not. In fact, many people will take 800x600 with a higher refresh rate over 4k resolution, which is pretty much pointless unless you're playing your games on giant screen.

My future build that I'll build in the next 6 or so months

CPU: Maybe Zen if the hype lives up, or i5 6600k, i7 6700k
Storage: 512GB Samsung 960 Evo
Graphics: Either GTX 1070 or GTX 1080
PSU: some 600W~ modular PSU, corsair or seasonic maybe
Cooling: Some Noctua air cooler
RAM: 16GB or 32GB DDR4 (2666+ MHz)
Screen: Probably 24" 1080p 144hz

pcpartpicker.com/list/z3g3m8

I'm a drawfag. This should be enough right?

Get a 1440p 144 Hz monitor.

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Cheapest 3000MHz DDR4 x2 4GB kit (8GB total)

So is 16GB really a meme?

Yeah may go for a 27" one if I can afford it

pccasegear.com/products/22711/asus-vg248qe-24in-widescreen-144hz-3d-monitor

How is this one?

Should be good. I'd save a few bucks on a cheaper cooler or just use the stock cooler at first and see how it does and use that money to get a 1060 3GB instead of a 1050ti. Well worth the ~60 bucks or whatever.

That power supply is way fucking overkill for what you're putting in there too.

pcpartpicker.com/list/L2GcRG

r8 pls, just need it for games at decent to mediocre fps. Don't play to much modern shit atm outside maybe doom.

au.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&r=8192&sort=a8&page=1

Which one should I get?

That would be nice.

I own that same exact monitor and I really like it but if I were getting a GPU as high end as a 1070 I'd get a 1440p monitor. 1070 and above is kind of wasted on a 1080p monitor even if its 144 Hz. Most games these days can be downsampled from native resolution to a lower one to improve FPS or you could turn down a few settings.

Fine for general gaming. Price on that 850 Evo seems a little high for what you're getting.

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR or if got extra $50 MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G

try speaking like not a retard and we might know what you are asking

This. My current setup is ancient but still holds up to what i normally play but most modern games wont hit over 25fps on lowest settings.

Hard to say. 1070s have been riddled with controversy. Recently reliable brands like MSI and EVGA 1070s have both had VRM issues.

Go with whatever one has a good warranty and seems to have good recent reviews. They're basically all made by the same conglomerate of Taiwanese crooks anyway.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DMyFKZ

Revised.

Are seagate hard drives a bad idea to have?

nigger stop right there
link to sources saying there are issues with MSI you disgusting hook nose jew
evga got shit as always, no one else was in articles I read

Well it has the best warranty and samsung is highest rated from what ive found.

nope
they got bad reputation when the shit out hdds when there were floods and shortage of reliable parts
at least not if you go 3-4GB

Win 8.1 or Win X for vidya?

dx12 is a thing

Windows 10 will have better game support long term with DX12 and more gamer have it so it will actually be developed for.

I built this PC in 2010, all I did was add 4 gigs of ram and replace the gpu when the old one died in 2013.

Surprised how well GTA V runs still, on normal anyway.

Upgrading next month as I'll be getting huge pay for working the holidays this year.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/48zvqk

kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/firmware-updates-begin-rolling-out-to-fix-gtx-1070-memory-issues/

Disgusting spoonfeeding. Also, EVGA has not always been shit. They've been one of the more highly regarded brands for the past 5 years easily.

Alright man, that's cool.

Nice. That PSU would be totally fine. I like Seasonic so I'd probably spring for their 520W Bronze but that Corsair one will probably be ok. If you find that the stock cooler is too loud then you can always get aftermarket at that point, I just don't think you'll even need it.

>1060 6gb
>240usd
>1 fan
>small
>aesthetic

what's the catch?

>This means that EVGA, Gainward, Palit, MSI, Gigabyte and Asus have fixed their Micron Memory issues for GTX 1070 buyers. So far, it looks like PNY, KFA2, Zotac and Inno3D still need to release updates

1. in your link theres like 8 manufactures named, why single out MSI
2. evga was always shit on the hardware side, they made up for it with customer service, but if you saw any regular card of theirs, its always lowest numbers of phases possible, worst passive cooling, fans...

Maybe a lower binned GPU that doesn't overclock well but should be fine at stock speeds. Might be loud due to only having the single fan.

All I said was "recently reliable" brands like MSI and EVGA. I wouldn't consider the rest of those brands recently reliable, at least not on the same tier as MSI and EVGA. Fucking calm down. Obviously its a far reaching issue with 1070s in general, that's why I said check recent reviews and return policy/warranty.

Nice my setup is from an old gateway
Cpu:Amd Phenom 9750 x4 2.4Ghz
Ram: 8Gb ddr2
Psu: Shitty Thermaltake 450W
Gpu: Msi GTX 470 1280Mb
Hdd: Generic 1Tb Drive form toshiba i believe
Windows 7 64bit

I bought the base system for 100 bucks with everything cept the GPU it included a minitor that was 1600x900 that i still use the 470 was a card I got in a box of random pc stuff i bought at a yardsale for like 30 dollars so all in all not a bad deal 3 years ago

would you purchase a refurbished z170 motherboard?

PCPartPicker part list: ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XVR4BP
Price breakdown by merchant: ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XVR4BP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($538.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1633.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-20 21:25 EST-0500

I don't know what I'm doing desu.

Does this look okay or is the motherboard and cpu overkill/unnecessary?

pcpartpicker.com/list/w2fpm8

Here's my current specs.

I want to try and upgrade this holiday season to either an i5 or i7, but I'll also need a new mobo for it.

What combos would you guys recommend?

>different sample sizes
>no error bars
That image triggers me every time

so black friday week deals are starting to pop up. should i buy a 6700k now? money isn't an issue but i do like to get the most for my buck. you think prices will get lower in spring? i'm just slowly picking up parts on sale currently.

I hear a lot of people saying 16gb is unnecessary, is it true?

yes, for gamers and general use
not for some other use as VMs

but go for single 8gb stick instead of 2x4

asus z170 + crucial 8x2

I just want to be able to play WoW/Overwatch/League/Rocket League at 1080p.

oh i should note i have a hyper 212 and 450w psu from a friend ill be using

Looking for some upgrade help. What to get next?

Which is better?

pcpartpicker.com/list/cHb84C

or

pcpartpicker.com/list/6kn2bj

budget is ~1000 dollars, and already have a 64GiB SSD

a post with a picture is more likely to get replies.

Help me decide what cooler to use? I sort of want to get the x62 kraken to go with my s340 elite but I don't know when they come out..

Also would this build be OK?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dW7wkT

Fuck no.

actually fuck it. I'll just use the old 500gb hdd i found. the 470 is so much better. will buy a cheapo SSD later.

Buy a new 1050ti instead of that old piece of junk. Smaller, quieter, better performance.

SSD is like the single most noticeable thing for general use. Also 2GB RAM? niggggga

you play those games with friends?

Your build is outdated as fuck

Upgrade to pentium skylake

I'm aware but the games I play do fine on the older architecture. WoW and overwatch in particular do great.
also since a ssd is so cheap, even just a 64gb boot drive, but the video card is an investment this makes more sense to me.
No i have a friend that plays on the computer but he's a casual
kek

I'm not even fucking joking

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n8KTPs

start with this

You can swap out the h110 with a z170 if you want to upgrade the CPU later

Add a 1050ti and you can play all the games you listed at 50+ fps

He's serious about the pentium. The shit tier games you are playing would benefit more from a really strong dual core than an old-ass 2500k/mobo that has probably been to hell and back at this point.

Could add a 250GB SSD for your games and save the 120GB boot/other programs
Also could side grade to RX480 if you want to decrease heat/power consumption

Thanks, man. It was also suggested to me a new mobo + i5-6500 would be a good replacement cpu?

There is no catch. Zotac is always good.

pcpartpicker.com/list/zQJwkT
How does my build look?

>Zotac is always good.

I ran GTAV on a system I built in 2009, core i7 920. Upgraded the GFX from a GTX285 to a 970 and it still works. BF1 on good settings GTA V on good settings as well. Not ultra though. 1920x1200

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VGzvqk

Is this PSU overkill?

so pcbg has come together and accepted that 480 > 1060 given their prices, right?

Nah that's fine, especially if you want to OC The CPU and the GPU.

I think it depends on the games you want to play right now and of course whether you're talking about the 3 GB 1060 or the full 1060. It also depends on how long you plan on owning it.

Over the next few years, if past history is any indication, the AMD card will show gains through software improvement while the Nvidia card only improves a minimal amount or just plateaus.

>Nah that's fine, especially if you want to OC The CPU and the GPU.

Ahh okay, cool thanks.

Any monitor recommendations for that build? I don't mind spending big. I currently have an okay monitor so I'm not in any rush.

Y'all Z170 and 6700k cucks should be hopping on this 6800k hotness for sale on Newegg right now.

who even has the non-neetbux to justify replacing their 6700k prior to the next current year?

FFFFUCK.

No money, christmas, etc.

Shit sucks.

Oh well, I'm getting Zen anyway.

i7 users are all cucks

Definitely worthy of 1440p/144 Hz.

Heard good things about this one. Obviously it's not G-Sync so not sure how important that would be for you.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&cm_re=pixio-_-9SIAB714894154-_-Product

I'm saying if you're considering buying a 6700k right now then you might think again and get the big boy platform instead.

Fite me kid

I don't even really know what G-Sync is, honestly. Thanks for the recommendation.

I got a 6700k for only $50 more than a 6600k. It was a great deal IMO.

>being poor