What is systemd and why do people seem to hate it?

What is systemd and why do people seem to hate it?

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/sucks/systemd
redhat.com/en/technologies/industries/government/security
judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html?_escaped_fragment_=#!
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
youtube.com/watch?v=MQE3jWYuGiw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lurk more

suckless.org/sucks/systemd

People who hate freedom hate systemd.

think pulse audio levels of suck but it's the entire system

Systemd is a system that is a part of your operating system. It provides various internal functions for application programmers and system administrators. People don't like systemd because they believe it is an init system that does more than initialize the system. This is wrong. Systemd is a system management system and is beyond simply "just an init system".

Things and distros that just work go against the Unix(r) Philosophy.

The problem is more that they think they can define what an init should not do.

Freedom haters.

systemd is a popular replacement for linux

The end of linux

/thread

It just shits on the Unix philosophy

Imagine a giant penis flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant penis. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant penis rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again.

Eventually, this giant penis is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant penis slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant penis finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests indefinitely. That's what systemd is doing to Linux.

systemd[ick]

Without exception this shill shows up to defend systemd

Fuck off systemdickhead

This is nonsense. systemd is the exact opposite of freedom. It attempts to either replace or make dependent on itself a huge number of system components. Can you use a distribution which adopted systemd without it? Mostly the answer is no. Can you use a package which was made dependent on systemd (such as gnome3 for instance) without it? No, you can't. How is this "freedom"?

that pic is pure speculation with no substance

Yeah, so were the rumors about the NSA. No one is going to be oblivious anymore.

it's from concentrate

it's the shit that boots linux

people dislike it because it's one thing made by one set of people instead of a hundred different things made by a hundred different groups of people which contradicts the unix philosophy

fuck rumors, all I know about the NSA are facts. Systemd may be shit but if someone want to prove that it is a trojan horse for the NSA or I don't who else he must provide real facts, not build arguments on par with plot theories.

NSA sponsored effort to insert backdoors.

Rumors are not facts. It is a mistake to base your worldview upon rumors. Now it is not bad to be aware of the current rumors but you shouldn't treat them the same way as a fact.

Freedom means you can modify your software to do anything you want. If you want to run Gnome without systemd, then you should remove those systemd dependencies from Gnome. If you are not hiring the Gnome team to work for you, you have no right to demand that they work for you.

>en ess ey

If they really wanted to spy on Linux users, they would put a backdoor into PulseAudio and X11. You know, ubiquitous packages whose source code is never audited because it's a giant mess.

Not saying that systemd doesn't have a backdoor (it could or couldn't), just saying that Pulseaudio and X11 are easier and more sane targets than the init system.

It's not asserting that systemd IS being used maliciously, only that it COULD be used maliciously. He makes a good point about the difficulties of auditing a large system and Heartbleed is an apt example.
That's ignoring his other points about red hats connections with the DoD which is based in fact (see below) and he is simply pointing out how the Goverment has operated in the past.

redhat.com/en/technologies/industries/government/security

Not going to waste time constructing multiple posts to address what is possibly a troll, so here: judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html?_escaped_fragment_=#!

Is systemd the same across all distros? I'm trying to wrap my head around the drastic differences in behavior I see between systemd in Arch and Ubuntu.

>suckless.org/sucks/systemd
Man that entire website is basically: Everything you've ever used or heard of is terrible.

Too much danger of depending on it and the developers can come out with a hidden agenda to make RedHat and a few selected companies to control over a cascade of dependency which you can't escape if they decide to put a backdoor in the end.

More importantly, why does it have a lemon as its logo?

If you think that of suckless.org then you haven't seen much.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/

It's not its logo. It's not even spelled "SystemD" but "systemd". OP's image is a troll/spoof (I guess it's based on some cleaning stuff's logo or something).

You've never heard of Sunny D?

Oh, No. I gew up in Germany and the U.S. and it wasn't widespread in either.

I don't think it's being sold where I live, so dunno. And from what I just read about it, nothing of value is lost.

youtube.com/watch?v=MQE3jWYuGiw

both are mostly right but most of the time the alternatives are just as bad

a Red Hat/NSA botnet created by a German autist Lennart Poettering

to all the paranoid schizophrenics itt, templeOS is free to use

Good way to put that user

literally what i tell people too

What made you hate systemd Sup Forums?

For me, it was when there was a crash, I rebooted and the binary logs were corrupted.