/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008/
amazon.com/Nobsound®-Bluetooth-Receiver-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00W9G8LG8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479702456&sr=1-2&keywords=nobsound mini)
mobil.derstandard.at/2000045063046/Kopfhoerer-AKG-Werk-in-Wien-schliesst
angelsandautism.blogspot.com/2011/12/end-of-our-journey-with-therapeutic.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8oLMlR7ZmtQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any news on HD650 refresh?

HD600 refresh more likely?

>Any news on HD650 refresh?
>HD600 refresh more likely?
Why are you expecting one?

>Budget
~200 dollars
>Location
USA
>Source
Axon 7
>Type of headphone
full size, portable
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
as comfy as possible
>Sound signature
Bassy and soundstage are top priority
>Past headphones
Koss Portapros, MDR-7506

Please help

You just made me realize that the lower end refreshes were all downgrades. nvm

What is there to refresh? They're still one of if not the best selling headphone in it's price and type.

Debating getting the Jotunheim and getting balanced cables for my 400i. Thoughts?

Let's try this again since last thread is kill. When buying replacement cables for sennheiser 598s will I lose anything (quality or otherwise) if I dont get a cable with a 4 ring connector like the oem?

Do i get the hd-598s or the one sale HifiMan HE-400is. I mostly listen to alternative rock and jazz off of PC and phone. I also want them to be good for gaming on my PC too but i dont want to compromise quality for that.
Also, do I need an amp or dac for either of those choices?

I think the HE400S (to avoid confusion with the name, the silver ones) would suit you perfect. I use mine for classical and jazz and they are phenomenal. Can easily be driven by a phone but really open up when I run them through some gear. Make sure to get some different pads though, the stock ones suck. I'm using the Brainwavz angled leather pads.

Oops, forgot the 400i were on sale for 250. 400i for sure.

Not very portable though is it?

How portable do you want them to be?

Thanks!
I'm on a little bit of a budget so what would you recommend gear wise to boost the 400is?
And since im on a budget should i not bother with getting an amp and dac until a little after or what?

>budget
Maybe $20? Could spend more but I don't want to spend, like, hundreds.

>Location
US

>Source
Computer speakers

>Type of headphone
Earbuds

>Open or closed
Earbuds

>Comfort level
idc

>Past headphones
Right now I'm using amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008/ and I actually have no complaints about the sound quality. What I want is earbuds that don't distort at higher volume, like these ones love to do.

I'm set on getting the DT 770s by beyerdynamic. Do I need an amp or whatever that thing is called that audiophiles plug their headphones into?

Also considering the blue snowball as a mic since I've always used a headset and this one doesn't come with a mic.

I don't have personal experience with the i's yet (ordered them myself coming tomorrow) but I think they definitely will benefit from an amp. If you're strapped for cash I know fiio makes some budget portable amps but I'm not super familiar. Im running the basic Schiit stack and for $200 it was well worth it. I'd say start with the amp then DAC after

An amp would help with the 80 ohm version, and you actually need an amp for the 250 ohm version.

Hm at least portable enough to throw in a bag. Removable cable would be preferred. Anyone try the sony mdr1a's? They're on sale for 187 right now. How's the soundstage?

I ordered a pair of Momentum 2.0 wired for 200 bucks from an AD which is rare in this third world shithole. Hardly any manufacturers offer warranty, but I've had pleasant experiences with Sennheiser service before, compared to AKG who told me to go fuck myself
How bad did I fuck up? I just think they look so fucking good.

Gotcha.
Since i'd be blowing most of my budget on the headphones if i got the 400is, would something like a nobsound mini be good enough for now?
Or at least until i can save for something better?
(amazon.com/Nobsound®-Bluetooth-Receiver-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00W9G8LG8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479702456&sr=1-2&keywords=nobsound mini)

if you want bassy, these are not good, haver tried the m50x?

the k550 have good soundstage, and are a little v-shaped with more bass than highs, but are not as much portables

Also another question: how good are these at noise cancellation/isolation? It doesn't say they can do that anywhere on the page but I don't want to hear talking/sounds clear as day outside the headphones(my current ones do this and its really annoying).

Can anyone recommend me a decent desktop microphone? Something under 50$ preferably.

Buy a 3,5mm male to male cable and use your cellphone.

Got some SHP9500s on the way!
They were only something like 70 CDN, and a friend recommended them pretty highly to me

I haven't heard the m50s but I've heard they're muddy in other frequencies so id like to avoid that. I'll check out the k550s.

Don't even consider the K550's for portability
They're fucking MASSIVE, and don't fold, only lay flat, and the cable is 3 meters long, which means you'll need to tie it up and stash it in your pocket along with your PMP.
You'll also look like an autistic child wearing those massive headphones outside.
They're probably the best closed back headphones you can buy at that price, but they're not made to be taken outside

Good to know, got any suggestions then friendo?

I don't believe you'll like anything I can suggest. You seem to want to a perfect set of portable headphones for 200 bucks, and that just won't cut it.
You have to sacrifice something to have portability, or sacrifice portability to have a great pair of headphones with the K550/K550mkII

>Buy a 3,5mm male to male cable and use your cellphone.

:^)

You got a problem with that, fuccboi?

as said you need to choose

ill give you these

the mdr 1a give you the bass and the 10/10 confines, i say these are the more portable ones

msr7 gives you better sound over all but these are not bassy, have good soundstage, and a bit unconfortable, but not too much

I'd say the 1a and the msr 7 are equally portable, considering neither folds, just lay flat.
The M100 actually fold, and I'm sure the Momentum 2 will go on sale for 160 bucks during black friday which is a good deal. Both of these fold, which makes them great for portability, but sound quality could be argued.

Is there a decent amp for the HD650's that's under $100 usd? 300 ohms. I doubt my current interface will be able to power it properly(saffire 6)

The Saffire 6 should be fine, the HD650 aren't difficult to drive.

Shit thread, shit OP

How about buying headphones that don't snap in half if you look at them the wrong way dumb poorfag

How about the DT880 pro's, then? I'm just looking for something with a flat response to mix with.

Go with the 650, don't bother taking shitposting shills seriously.

>still buying shit headphones

Nobody wants to buy the K702/Elear, fuck off.

>still shilling for sennheiser
wew lad go back to headfi faggot

What are these called? They're not the old Xiaomi Hybrid Piston IV's. Are they called Xiaomi Hybrid Pro Piston 5 or something?

>being this autistic

I'm open to suggestions. I'm simply new to headphones and these had the best reviews on amazon.

something that isnt sennheiser, anyone recommending them here are trolling you

How about suggesting something retard?

"no"

go back to re ddit you newfag

So I have the AKG 712 pros and am planning to drive them with a modi 2 and vali 2 stack, how much am I fucking up?

Friendly reminder that AKG is kill and the shills won't be able to shill their garbage headphones anymore. Celebrate

mobil.derstandard.at/2000045063046/Kopfhoerer-AKG-Werk-in-Wien-schliesst

>AKG 712 pros
K702 is better, you fucked up

Wrong.

>having this much autism

ok I'll just go with the 650's, sennheiser looks fine. Your elitism is probably just trolling good day

>vali 2
LOLOLOL

Already had the headphones didn't buy them myself, more asking about the amp and dac

>being mad
Not only are AKG irrelevant in the industry but they're soon to be dead.

Translation?

>I come here to shitpost about AKG everyday because i have a massive inferiority complex

> Buying exploding headphones made by stinky chinky

Is the vali 2 better than the magni 2?

Fuck off you tremendous faggot

>i come here to shill a dead company because i have a massive inferiority complex
your obsession with sennheiser is so sad that you'd shill for a shit headphone manufacturer out of spite. how do you live with yourself?

tl;dr AKG is closing the Vienna factory, no more AKG headphones that are made in Austria, quite useless considering the only headphone still made there is the K812 and no one here has one. Samsung already went out and said that they would keep JBL and AKG around

they are made in austria autist

>considering the only headphone still made there is the K812
K812 is made in slovakia
>Samsung already went out and said that they would keep JBL and AKG around
JBL is actually worth keeping around, AKG is just a dead limb

Main difference is one is solid state and one is a tube amp, I know what solid state is like now I want to try tubes for cheap to start off with

>sennheiser
those are your words not mine

I gave sennheiser a fake story and they fixed my 4-year old headphones with no more warranty free of charge.

Are they literally the best company?

Unless it's lying my brand new k712 pro says made in Austria on it

>being this autistic

Post the story

>b-but samsung is going to kill off a-akg, samsung w-wont give akg millions to cuck the headphone industry
>have i told you how good sennheiser is, please buy sennheiser i hate treble

>I know you are but what am I: the post

akg don't have the ability to cuck the headphone industry when their headphones are literally worse than beats

No but you are literally the worst shill on Sup Forums

I don't have the copypasta anymore but I told them I was new to Germany as a student(true) from turkey(not true) and was having financial troubles, and that I needed these headphones to pass a class.

see

get a trip so we can filter you

you're the only one who needs filtering, turboautist newfag

angelsandautism.blogspot.com/2011/12/end-of-our-journey-with-therapeutic.html

so how are the autism headphones sennshill

it's nice to actually be able to hear the bass, you keep burning in those akgs though i'm sure you'll hear it eventually

POO IN THE LOO PAJEET

I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering a headphone upgrade this Black Friday.

I've been using Sony MDR-V6s for more than a decade now, and I've found myself going back to them even after messing around with others like Senn HD-280s, Grado SR-80s, ATH-M50x, and etc - I like them so much that I'm on my third pair through the years, but the itch is still there to upgrade.

Is it worth it to get a USB DAC/Amp? Anybody have any suggestions on what's a good match to the V6s?
Or what are some contenders for headphones that are like the V6 but better?

youtube.com/watch?v=8oLMlR7ZmtQ

boop dee do mupo dat bass mufugga fug dem niggaz

K240 is better

your teammates in game might have a problem with you sounding like shit

what would be a cheap amp capable of driving a HifiMan HE-400i to its full potential?
Still trying to figure out if i have the money to go for the 400i all things considered.
or if i should just stick with my plan to buy a sennheiser HD598 when it goes on sale

See

My bad, don't mean to seem ridiculous. I really do appreciate all the suggestions. I'll take a look at all the recommendations. Thanks a lot.

well the 400i are advertised as easy-to-drive planars

The sound quality will be as good as the calling quality
if you have a shitty chinkphone it's your fault desu

Samson Go Mic
Or really any USB Condenser mic you can get in the price range.

I consistently find all 3.5mm microphones made for desktop PC use are complete shit.

oh wow you're literally that guy that claims it sounds fine but everyone has to mute

Thanks my man, I'll check it out

>Phone microphone designed to be held right up to your greasy face and spoken directly into
>I'll put it on my desk and use it as a desktop mic! It'll sound great!

ishy diggy