Will LED or CFL ever be as good as incandescent?

Will LED or CFL ever be as good as incandescent?

Other urls found in this thread:

lamptest.ru/results/?brand_6=on&type_1=on
youtube.com/watch?v=LArIvPCiMdc
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-oy4oUzLeo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They already are? I'm using all LEDs around my place and they've worked great for years now.

As good in what sense? In terms of energy efficiency I think they overtook incandescents a while back.

You need to have clearer criteria, OP. Don't ask stupid, vague questions like this.

Do you mean the colour warmth? Aren't there warm LEDs on the market already?

You can get high CRI LEDs.

light bulbs in technology is pushing it in 2016

Fuck off shill

Never

It gives out even more heat than some AMD cpu.

Most of my home's lights consume 2.5-5.5W each. The one most used consumes 3W. That scale of consumption was not practical with previous lighting technologies.

Have your (You), retard.

You should buy LED lights now. There is talk in yhe LED industry of making lights self destruct after a certain time period, because they just last too damn long making it difficult to make money off of you

fuck smart bulbs but led are goat

Are there LED bulbs that don't flicker? Had them above the dinner table for a while but I couldn't stand literally everything blinking all the time.

They are. There is no reason to buy incandescent.

Yes, absolutely.

Do a pencil test in the shop if you can. And don't *ever* buy bulbs from aliexpress.

If you're an eurofag, most IKEA bulbs are great, with up to 96 CRI and minimal flickering. (sauce: lamptest.ru/results/?brand_6=on&type_1=on )

Minimal flickering is still flickering

Nope. Spoiler alert: regular incandescent bulbs have up to 20% flickering, but human eyes don't see it.

alright you have me convinced

here's some mad mspaint skills

my entire house has been out fitted with LED bulbs i picked up less than a year ago from home depot. mixture of philips,GE, and cree (american made ones, not the newer MADE IN CHEENNAAAA). absolutely love them. they're offer the same level of light, run FAR cooler, use drastically less power, and are relatively affordable now.

i have roughly forty lights replaced and when every single one in my house is on they use about the same as five incandescent bulbs did in my ONE chandelier above my dinner table.

one thing i really love about them is the ability to toss higher lumen bulbs into 60 watt max light fixtures. my light fixture in my bathroom for example can take a maximum of 60 watt bulbs. so i tossed in two 16 watt, 100 watt replacement (roughly 1600 lumens each) LED bulbs into them. ~~800 lumens to 1600 lumens.

though i've noticed a lot of newer light fixtures now are "energy efficient" ones where they can only take a maximum of ~14 watts. kinda sucks since it limits you to 800 lumen replacement CLF bulbs or on average, 75 watt, ~~1000 lumen ~9 watt replacement LED bulbs.

CFLs were the color-equivalent of diving head first into cow dung.

LEDs aren't that bad with modern phosphors, but they still really depend on the phosphor type.

But at least they're actually economical and free of toxic metals.

LED far surpasses incandescent. I can run to walmart and get a pack of them for ~$6 and never have to replace them.

t. 1990

If you're in the US buy the ones they have on the end of the aisle. They're cheap and actually really bright for the wattage. No flickering or issues with color.

Halogen are still best IMO

LED tends to give me headaches. Shitty ones that flicker destroy me so do ones that are too deep in the blue (a lot)

I have LEDs in one room though and they're fine.

1/8 or so buzzes like a cunt. 2 or so have died within a year and needed replacing. Not cheap LEDs. They don't flicker though and I checked their spectrum.

LED isn't all it is cracked up to be. When implemented perfectly they're good but a lot of the time it's god awful. If you happen to be in the small minority that are sensitive it's a huge cunt to find decent bulbs.

That poster did not mention a brand. Multiple manufacturers make "high CRI LED" lights.

Not a shill.

LED is great for lighting of living spaces.

But fuck CFL, standard fluorescent is a better run for your money in places where dimming, instant start, and cycling requirements are non-existant. Modern tubes will match the efficiency and life of LEDs at less cost.

I bought 50 led bulbs from dollar tree about two months ago. How soon until my house burns down?

Sadly They will probably never make anything that looks as good as a 300 watt halogen

suck my arse you fucking faggot

enjoy your 100hz flicker and greenish colors

I've had them for a while and never noticed anything askew. Just wondering if I should pick up fire insurance.

>not having fire insurance anyways
wow

>paying the insuranceJew

>paying damages out of your own pocket

>not realizing that the insurancejew will deny your claim and make you pay anyway

Pretty good actually

>not outjewing the insurancejew jewing and jewing them into believing it was actually an accident

>outjewing the jew

I know everything posted here is satire, but this is ridiculous.

If you have a mortgage, you have fire insurance.

>paying the actual jew

I have a 15 year mortgage, no way I could save 140k+

Of course you can't save 140k, you're paying every jew there is.

I can't save that and pay rent at the same time, no. In 13 years, my "rent"(mortgage) will be the same amount, and the rent you pay will be double or more.

>paying rent

I bought a shitty foreclosure with cash when I was 20, flipped it, bought another house, flipped it, then used that to buy the house I'm in now. Work the system, don't let the system work you.

I don't believe you

>their method of lighting the stairwell doesn't require a shrapnel shield

casuals

>one thing i really love about them is the ability to toss higher lumen bulbs into 60 watt max light fixtures. my light fixture in my bathroom for example can take a maximum of 60 watt bulbs. so i tossed in two 16 watt, 100 watt replacement (roughly 1600 lumens each) LED bulbs into them. ~~800 lumens to 1600 lumens.

I did just about the same thing in my bathroom. This is the only thing I liked about LED lightning though.

If any bulbs go out I'll most likely get LED replacements, but there's no reason to replace everything in the house with them.

Also, led bulbs don't have dimming like incandescent and halogen does.

I don't care if you believe me, just keep being a good goy and paying your mortgage. Miss enough payments and I'll be buying your house for 1/3 of what you paid.

I have enough equity for that to not happen, and in 11 years, it will be mine. I have a career and family to attend to, im not a construction worker.

I use that in my room lamp.

It's fucking awesome in summer; any bugs that do come in will target the super hot lamp immediately and fry themselves with it.
I pretty much only turn it on for bug catching, or when I need the entire room to be bathed in fucking sunlight at 3AM.

>led bulbs don't have dimming
The phillips ones I use are fully dimmable without flicker

>not wanting bulbs that also heat your room
>living near the equator

kys

>Will LED or CFL ever be as good as incandescent?

What do you mean as good as ?

I would argue for the consumer they are already better, it is just a matter of price coming down.

>never have to replace them.

Now you only have to replace the chinkshit capacitors...

>implying you've built up enough equity in 4 years to offset a downturn in the market

>Also, led bulbs don't have dimming like incandescent and halogen does.
All the LED bulbs I have are dimmable.
Philips even makes ones that drop in color temperature as you dim them.

Just bought a house that uses on the order of 75 bulbs taken all together--- previous owner had a 'only use incandescents because crazy conspiracy loony'; one burned out every fucking day.

Each one has been replaced by a nice Ikea LED bulb. Is nice.

No, but the greenfags sure as hell won't let you use good technology. Doesn't make them enough money you see.

>Just bought a house that uses on the order of 75 bulbs taken all together

You don`t actually HAVE to use all the light fixtures in the house, you know that, don`t you?

>You don`t actually HAVE to use all the light fixtures in the house, you know that, don`t you?
Never said I did. They still burn out that fast.

>Implying I haven't made improvements, and didn't put 15% down

>implying you won't burn up all your equity trying to remove the smell of dry semen and stale cheetos from the drywall and carpets

>implying you won't burn up all your equity trying to remove the smell of dry semen and stale cheetos from the drywall and carpets
Carpets was the second mistake. Acquiring all your drywall from dumpster diving was the first.

>tfw you can still buy incandescent bulbs in the market, imported from Ukraine or some non-EU country next door

I love them so much, but they never last more than half a year, and they aren't that cheap either. Still, I'm considering buying like a large box of it. I don't care what's in the kitchen, bathroom, but my bedroom and study WILL have traditional incandescent bulbs.

>who knew I'd turn into my own grandfather by the time I turned 28
>young whippersnappers, you'll pry my incandescent bulbs from my cold dead hands
also fuck the EU for outlawing my favourite bulbs

I had all halogen bulbs in my house. I liked the color, but fuck those burn out in 1/3 of the time they are rated for. I was constantly replacing those. Not to mention the heat output. It would be the equivalent of running a small heater that i would then be forced to run the ac slightly more. LEDs are soo much better. I like the 4k or 5k color too.

>implying the drywall and carpet weren't new before you soiled them with your sad existence

I have no carpet. 2 children, 2 doggos and a cat. Fuuuck that.

>still being here after having kids

What? This is Daddy's little escape. Also, the boys are almost old enough for dank memes.

oh, well played. well played indeed.

>calling yourself daddy

>it ain't always easy being white

The only place where LEDs aren't sufficiently advanced yet is super high power lighting, like stadium lighting, but there's already movement there, my city council is trialling led Street lights atm

Halogens are based as fuck. I put a 3x50w halogen fixture above the kitchen sink, holy shit it's beautiful. Next house I buy is going to have cans everywhere that I'll retro fit with halogens.

They have been for years, retard. Incandescent bulbs shouldn't even exist anymore.

>That poster did not mention a brand.
But I will: SORAA makes good shit. Their product line is small and specialized, but if it suits your needs I'd highly recommend them. Specifically the 4000K Vivid series models.

Actually they already use LED flood lights for that shit.

It's a bad idea though, ceramic metal halide lasts just as long, is as efficient, and is cheaper. Oh, and the electronics are more reliable (the leds themselves have a high failure rate for high power applications)

No, they aren't sufficiently advanced for enclosed fixtures, the most common ceiling fixtures in homes. It's a fucking embarrassment that the totally enclosed fixture LED lamps are only rated for 70C when LED lamps easily exceed 90C.

Halogens are nice, but LEDs are better.
I have a fixture that takes 4 halogen spots in my living room, I'm replacing the spots with LEDs as the halogen ones die. The LED spots I'm using are expensive as fuck at 10 EUR a piece, but they shine brighter than any halogens I've managed to find, and are rated for a longer lifespan.

>tfw comfy yellow streetlights in my city are being replaced by harsh white/blue lights

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK THIS

I WANT TO FEEL LIKE I'M IN MY COMFY NEIGHBORHOOD, NOT A STADIUM OR WALMART PARKING LOT

No.

>Incandescent
>Robust
>Non-toxic (No mercury, lead, etc.)
>No need for complex drive circuitry
>No decrease in brightness over its lifespan. It just goes out instead of slowly dying.
>Pleasant warm color

>free of toxic metals.

ha.

>Going blind before 60 because he's never heard of blue-light hazard.

There is nothing more /comfy/ than pic related

Carbide lamps and gas streetlamps are more /comfy/.

>burning carbide next to your face while lying in bed.
No thanks.

The light I have has a small wattage and is actually a lot more yellow, like a foame) it appeared white in the photo cause otherwise youd just been seeing a big shining thing

Haven't used incandescents for at least 22+ years. Switched to those slow warm up bulb CFLs when they first came out.

On the last legs of phasing out helix CFLs for LEDs as they burn out.

Yep, I should probably take out the left one I generally only ever turn on the middle bulb. The right one is significantly blue-er, not exactly comfortable late at night and such, but handy when I want the extra light.
I should probably take out the left one, basically redundant and probably inefficient, not that it's on much.

>burning carbide
Acetylene is burnt, not carbide.
>next to your face
Hanging your bed off your ceiling fan is not a good idea no matter how much Sup Forums says otherwise.
youtube.com/watch?v=LArIvPCiMdc
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-oy4oUzLeo

>CFL

enjoy your mercury vapor

>that constant fshhhhhhhhhhh sound

There might be a better video but I haven't found it.

Normal application: yes easily
Super comfy living room application: no
Bought 5 of pic related, they draw 60W each.
So my room setup will draw 300W total but I don't care since I dim them low 95% of the time because I hate light.

Oh user...
Its happening all over the UK!
The irony is that the majority of fixtures they are replacing are low pressure sodium which is actually MORE efficient than LED!
I want to cry

At what voltage do LEDs operate? It should be much lower than mains.

Also, grab 3 incandescent bulbs and connect each one to a phase; problem solved (I actually know of a guy who did this).

Either are already better than incandescent. What is your issue with them?

And how much exactly is 'even more'? Is that by weight, volume, watts used or something else?
(and that is odd, btw, because my LED & CFL bulbs don't really get THAT hot...)