Hi Sup Forumsents, I have a fresh install of Arch Linux. I haven't used Linux for a good eight years...

hi Sup Forumsents, I have a fresh install of Arch Linux. I haven't used Linux for a good eight years, so I'm a bit rusty..

I have a question, what is Sup Forums's window managers of choice? I looked on the Arch Linux wiki and there seems to be a lot of selections. I thought I should consult Sup Forums's collective wisdom and see what your thoughts are about window managers.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vivien/i3blocks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The "official" Sup Forums WM is i3, or i3-gaps if you want to be even more autistic

openbox

If you want it to just werk and look decent install KDE/gnome. If you want to customize shit openbox/i3.

Having no gaps is the more autistic choice.

Xmonad always seemed to me like it should be the perfect twm for Sup Forums, since it's a lot like i3 but with the added hipsterness of Haskell, the best programming language no one uses. Not sure why it isn't shilled more on here.

Yeah, because utilizing all available screen space is a lot more autistic than having gaps for no reason other than muh aesthetics.

You're their only paid shill, that's why.

thanks folks, I'm going to install i3 as my window manager, and see how that works out. It looks nice.

thanks again

Caring about aesthetics is less autistic.

i3 is best
also get i3 blocks

>i3 blocks
What's that?

This looks like a good window manager, I've been using ratpoison which seems very similar.

Does i3 have good keybindings for navigation without a mouse?

>Does i3 have good keybindings for navigation without a mouse?
Oh yes. I use my mouse only for firefox.

the keybindings in i3 is pretty comfy, but make sure which one between i3 or i3-gaps you want.

>i3 blocks
github.com/vivien/i3blocks

How is it compared to i3status?

Have you considered using the plugin that lets you navigate firefox using vim commands? It's called vimperator, and it changed my life.

i3 keybinds + mechanicalkeyboard = maximum comfy

/thread

Maybe one day I will. But I'm a emcas guy, vim is only for penitence.

I don't really know, maybe more customization?
I basically just installed it some year ago and had some fun writing my own blocks

Hello OP. I'm also installing Arch

Why not use cmd line?

wtf is this garbage?

I see, have you tried out the emacs plugin for firefox? I think it's called firemacs.

OK I will try it soon. But if I do that my mouse will be used only for gimp.

It's about time we eliminate the rodent!

>Not using Gentoo

what is this and why aren't you doing it the arch way?

>actually wasting your time compiling packages

It's called Arch Anywhere, it's basically an installer. I've installed arch so many time, I was tired of doing every thing by cmd line so this makes it less of a hassle.

>installer
overzealous autists BTFO

>actually wasting your time fixing your package manager

I am a long time Gentoo user, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I believe that as hardware gets faster, it makes sense to migrate to a largely source-based Linux system. Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas source encourages unified development frameworks and integration.

Cool, although I only installed arch once, so I don't need this.

kde if you like Qt widgets (recommended)
gnome if you like gtk
xfce if your have shitty machine

nice meme

It's still dependency hell though. Even more so, since you have build time dependencies and some devs are liberal fucktards that need fucking ruby as a build time requirement. Fucking WebKit.