Is the Internet Age going to end?

Are we closing in on the end of the current era of openness and customization? Will Eternal September actually end and the internet will once again split into

>normies and their phones communicating mostly through videos (as it was via traditional phones and voice pre-1993)
>weirdos and their workstations communicating through text

with not much cross-over between?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/528816/how-to-hide-public-ip-adress-on-irc-channel
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Cloaks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>weirdos and their workstations communicating through text
until the day when we no longer have to sleep, so we are forced to do our job every hour of our lives with no breaks, email will be needed at work

>Will eternal september end?
No. It will never, ever, end.
There are a few places "normies" in the sense of your average person, would not touch. This is one of those places.

There's also IRC, forums, and ironically, usenet.

Pick your poison.

Usenet is autism central.

I really wanted to get in to it because it really does sound awesome as a concept. But holy shit are the people that use it a bunch of spergs.

I guess that's what comes of being in such an environment for so long with no new blood.

>This is one of those places.

Have you never been to a board outside Sup Forums? /r9k/ in particular is more normalfag than facebook.

>IRC
get kicked for not talking
>forums
heavy competition with the notoriety of older users
>usenet
users sperg out when the new guy asks a question

>end of the current era of openness and customization
been dead for a while now sempai

>will once again split into
it already is that way

wake the fuck up

What about forums with no join date or post count?

>>IRC
>get kicked for not talking
You also get kicked FOR talking.

This, sadly.

Some telnet BBS can be comfy, and the people on them can be super swell, but they're so slow they're a pain to use.

Where? Every forum I've ever been on has a join date and post count.

I know, I was being hypothetical.

Sorry it was a bit unclear.

Years ago the shoryuken.com forums had join date disabled because the users were such bitches about it to each other

The generation that used forums and other semi-anonymous means has actually grown out of it.
Nobody replaces those people because kids use phone apps and social media.
Thus a large area of the internet has been practically deserted.

And on top of that, even if these forums were active, they still would be filled with children (see: Sup Forums, whatever's left of youtube's community etc)

So the real problem is that you refuse to grow up and move on. It's over. Everyone left. It's time to go.

Speaking of Usenet, I'm surprised no one on Sup Forums posts on comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad.

Everyone forgets that instant messenger clients are also dead.

WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS

usenet have been dead for 15 years. Only use for it now are for people too edgy to use torrent.

Moving on implies there is something or somewhere to move on to.

There isn't.

Plus it means walking away from something that is useful.

The parts of the web we move in still has really useful information and interesting news.

The shame is that the avenues that is made available in is moving more towards the trendy side of the web that doesn't care about it.

Yeah, IRC can be fun, but in practice it's like walking into some stranger's basement and hoping to find a decent conversation.

>imageboards
get called a fag and have your life choices questioned daily

All the better to maintain intellectual flexibility.

Sup Forums is the ultimate challenge in critical thinking.

How do you prevent your local username and public IP (or reverse DNS thereof) from being displayed for everyone to see in IRC channels you join?

Use a proxy?

That's literally the only way? What if you are a channel admin operator? I've seen people on IRC channels who had the mentioned info hidden or there was something else displayed in its place.

You can put a mask on the ip address of users, but I believe that the server must support and you need to have channel ops

its only good for pirating shit really, especially if you use something like couch potato/sonarr. there are sperglords on usenet who upload shows within minutes of it being aired

Ok, so I gather that showing the local username and public IP/reverse DNS of a user is a part of the design of the IRC protocol and to be expected by default, unless either proxies or what you mentioned (if possible) is employed.

superuser.com/questions/528816/how-to-hide-public-ip-adress-on-irc-channel

Is usenet access generally paid for, or only if you want to download binaries?

yes, for further reading on cloaks look here meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Cloaks

Also, there are other ways to deanonymize a user, you should use a secure client (hexchat) and configure it properly even when you are behind a proxy/vpn

> Is the Internet Age going to end?

Strictly speaking, it ended already, what's left are remnants as we're still kinda in a transitional period which has always taken at least a few years.

+++++++++

1925-1954
The Age of Computing Pioneers
dominated by: nobody in particular

1955-1984
The Age of the Teletype and the Mainframe
dominated by: IBM and AT&T

1985-2014
The Age of the Personal Computer and the free Internet
dominated by: Intel and Microsoft

2015-2044
The Age of the Smartphone and the corporate Cloud
dominated by: ARM and Google

2045-...
The Age of Technological Singularity
dominated by: our new AI overlords

+++++++++

>The best computer era has just ended. For all it's worth, we can keep to our 90s/00s hardware, ignore the phonefags/cloudfags etc. and pretend the golden age of computing and internet is still here.

To normies the internet is just facebook now anyway. Has been since probably at least 2011.

Thanks, will check these out.

>use a secure client (hexchat)
Are console clients such as irssi inherently insecure?

I get it free from my ISP, but it's capped at 1 gig download per month

you can't use it for pirating; but you can use it for traditional newsgroups

Why do you even care that they see your IP? Chances are it's not even your IP at all, and you'll get a new one next time your router resets or when your ISP swaps them out.

>traditional newsgroups
Does this have to be explicitly supported by your ISP, or can you just get on there with a client program if you have general internet access? File download being irrelevant etc.

There's different rules depending on the server. Binaries are nearly universally paid.

There's free ones just for the discussion groups, like aioe or Eternal September.

I don't care all that much, but I've seen that there were users who were able to hide it, so I'm taking the opportunity to ask around about the methods how this may be achieved.

>Are console clients such as irssi inherently insecure?

It's fine, just make sure to configure it properly so as not to leak any data.

Facebook messenger and other variants took over

>local username
Look around in the settings of your IRC client and change your nick/username/realname.
>IP
If you're on a network like Rizon or Freenode, then get a vhost. They mask your IP anyway, though, so if you're talking about some IRC server your friend set up, then they'd know your IP anyway unless you used a proxy or Tor.

>Does this have to be explicitly supported by your ISP, or can you just get on there with a client program if you have general internet access?
It does require a usenet newsgroup server that you login with a name and password. You can use an alternative usenet service, but most ISPs since the 90s provide usenet access (using the same account info for your ISP email).

You should check with your ISP's FAQ section to see if they provide usenet access.

After that, just get a usenet client (thunderbird works good) and enter the info you find, and you're good to go.

I don't care about the network knowing my IP, but I guess it might be reasonable not to have literally everybody in the channel see it if that's possible. You never know if you don't run into some idiot who'd launch some skid attacks on you because of something you have said etc.