Is it normal that I just do busy work at my new job? Pic unrelated

>Me
>Graduated with degree in comp sci
>Land job at software company as Back End Junior Java Developer at mid sized company
>First few days I set up my tools
>Get "First Assignment"
> Do first assignment for a few weeks
>Turns out first just leads to something the database team fucked up
>Go to my boss with what I have, being careful not to throw anybody under the bus
>He's super impressed with how much SQL I wrote trying to fix things and is happy with my progress
>Keeps telling me I'll have to wait until I get my new assignment. Meanwhile I'm doing some busywork project
>This project has been going on for like a week and a half
>Most days I do probably 4 hours of solid work and 4 hours of sitting there waiting
>Boss keeps telling me he's going to give me and the other two juniors a new job ASAP
>We've been sitting there for like two weeks
>mfw I literally do almost nothing at work all day

Is this normal? Is this a bad company? Should I have just fixed the database and not said anything? This is my first real tech job so I'm trying not to fuck this up.

maybe
probably
no, he thinks ur a smart = promotion soon ?

just shitpost on Sup Forums to pass time like the rest of us

Enjoy the free time. Keep a tab up of some SQL/Java reading stuff up so if he pops in you can alt-tab and say you're doing some research.

I like this.

I don't really want to post Sup Forums from work, but I appreciate the rest of your input.

I shitpost on Sup Forums all day at my c# job. It helps that I'm the fastest programmer there. Still, I guess I should probably stop

Not that abnormal, the same shit happens where I work. If it's a large company they won't be able to load balance well enough to have everyone work 100% all the time (different work speed, waiting on things outside of your control like other people or teams, schedules and priorities change, etc.). Just continue doing good work and enjoy the fact that you've got plenty of time, because hectic periods can come and go and there's no guarantee you'll have the luxury of a leisurely pace at all times.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I really don't want to blow it at my first job.

Careful boyo.

Don't work yourself out of a job. Pace yourself so your work lasts for the time you're paid for.

I appreciate that, but honestly I have so much to learn and so much shit to pick up that I'm not worried about that.

You're a backend Java developer, and you're probably working for a company that isn't exactly moving fast and breaking things.

Stick at it for at least 6-12 months, if you feel like you're wasting your time then go somewhere else.

Maybe transition into android app development? you'll probably be able to get a faster-paced job

Just to clarify, I'm okay with things moving slow. I like the wage I'm making and the company is pretty alright. My only concern was that this was abnormal, as I have no real exposure to development jobs.

I was thinking about sticking it out for like 2 years and then trying to get a remote job.

This doesnt happen if you're actually good. Only the shitters "work themselves out of jobs", if you're good your company will want to hold onto you as tight as they can. This goes for all industries btw

Good info.

Practically every job on the face of the planet has it's slow days. I wouldn't fret about it, your going to be fine...

normal. you're a graduate and you're young, you're not getting any real development for a year or two yet.

you're getting paid to do nothing, make the most of it.

I'm am entry-level dev and I just jacked off in the men's bathroom. I spend most of the day shitposting on Sup Forums. Life's good.

It's perfectly fine considering if they are selling the software all that matters is you do it right and meet the general deadline of it being done in a few months.

get your boss' trust and complete all the projects. wait for the opportunity when one of your incompetent coworkers fucks up. ask him for part of his salary and to fire him. let him know you're more than capable of taking on more work since you're doing nothing for half your time. Just make sure you ask in advance if they weren't planning on major new software projects. They may have brought everyone on to give you a massive amount of stuff to do in a few months for example which is why you have nothing now.

I love this site.

Your a software developer, your going to sit on your ass a lot of the times. I got so tired of this, I transitioned over to sysadmin after 4 years as a software developer. I like the busy environment, ever changing infrastructure, emergency calls, etc.

My best piece of advice for anyone new to the technology/IT/software field in general is be financially secure. At a bare minimum have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up. Your employer wants to have financial control over you, they want you to rely on them for money. That way, if they ask you do something shitty your stuck. Never let them have this control. There is so many crappy companies out there with bad management, and it's nice to be able to up and leave if they put you in a crappy situation.

>I transitioned over to sysadmin after 4 years as a software developer. I like the busy environment, ever changing infrastructure, emergency calls, etc.
What the fox is wrong with your company if software developers are chilling while sysadmins work their asses off?

I spent 2-4 hours per day working and other time browsing new sites, hn or in meetings. That went on for 2 years. If you think this is fun, you're wrong, it's literally torture.
My last week was literally doing nothing, except the last day when my manager finally gave me a task.. It was a Friday, I was pulled to the side by my manager, taken to a meeting room and let go. Asked the guy who sat at the next desk, he was also let go, turns out half of the devs were let go because multiple deals had fallen through.

Yes, this is pretty normal when you start out.

They're trying to find somewhere for you, and everyone involved is correctly treating this as a low priority. It might take a month until they sort this out.

Once you're on a longer term team, you'll have an ever-growing bug tracker and therefore always something to do.

the app bubble can't burst soon enough.