Professional Use Linux

Does anyone really use Linux on a professional level? I mean, beyond hobby use or computer core services for research.

Or do most computer scientists do their work on Mac or Windows environments?

Just new to CS, currently in university, wondering if learning the ins and outs of any particular linux OS's would be helpful for my career.

Usually people focus on what language to learn instead of any particular OS.

I'm a professional embedded developer. I write C and C++ in Linux all day every workday on a Ubuntu desktop.

> ins and outs of any particular linux OS's
All Linux distros are the same: GNU tools on the Linux kernel. Learn one, and you've learnt them all.

As an actual scientist, I've used all three in my work, and each is as productive as the other. The teenagers in here like to hate one OS or another, but they're all the same really.

as a website artisan, I use Mac OS X, which is similar to linux.

Lots of developers use Linux professionally, me included.

From what I've heard from a friend Ubuntu and Centos are good options?

Mentioned Gentoo just since I've heard it meme'd so much but that seems better for personal use if you want to try to have a very secure OS or something.

Been considering installing Ubuntu on a USB drive, though I'm sure it will be much slower, just to avoid partitioning a drive for now.

do not post sexually implicit images on blue boards.

>sexually implicit
wat?

What's the reason you use your particular flavor of linux? Why not Mac like , or Windows?

>Though I admit W10 is annoying with forced restarts/updates and shit, but Mac is similar.

excessive cleavage but no nudity.
please delete the file.

Bro I've seen motherboard-less cases on here fully exposed.

My immediate reason to switch to Linux is because I wanted to use docker.
And docker doesn't work properly on Windows.

Calm down, Mohammed.
Just because all women wear burka's in your country doesn't mean this is

not an argument.

I do use a Mac at home. I like it as it has the Linux/Unix-type terminal and tools, but has all the other modern stuff.

My work, research science, involves basically math on large data sets, which can be done on Windows, Mac, or Linux. So it hardly matters.

I used to use it in the lab I used to work. They use Siemens NX on RHEL.

For someone who uses windows but also linux, any tools to help mesh the two? For example I think now Windows 10 cannot mount NFS to a drive letter anymore.

If this isn't bait then you should have just googled it desu
>inb4 impling this isn't bait

This is not true, all unix-like operating systems share common interfaces but Linux distros vary heavily (that's like saying FreeBSD, OS/X and HP-UX are all the same as Linux, it isn't true but a lot of the skills translate.)

>web artisan
kek that's a nice meme friend, pic related

For proffessional use most workstations would probably be Ubuntu or Fedora while most servers are RedHat/CentOS on the backend, while also having them or Ubuntu on the frontend.

kys

Hardware really, Mac's don't allow you to build your own PC and they have shitty specs; I can build a quad core with 8gigs of ram and an ssd + gpu for a percentage of the cost of a low end mac.

>Linux distros vary heavily
Not really.

Aside from their respective package managers, and a few minor points, they're identical.

One word: shell

I usually work with Windows, but prefer Linux. I think my work flow in Windows is much better because I try to 'linuxify' it. I use the command line in Windows more and I think I am better off because I have been exposed to Linux

I'm a physicist and I use it for everything except of course video games

Makes me wonder if there is something to make ubuntu seem like Mint. While still using ubunto or xubuntu

I'm a cognitive scientist and all my software and data analysis are done in linux

I do.

I do research in computational chemistry, and that involves a lot of terminal work and coding in Fortran. Our workplace "officially" uses Macs, but a lot of us (myself included) prefer Linux.

no you aren't

I write books on Linux.
I had a best seller about a decade ago, somewhat professional imo desu senpai

NASA uses RHEL for some of its systems, specifically those involved with the Curiosity Rover.

oh but I am

Correction, they use RHEL in the launch facilities.

Ubuntu is what they use for the rover.

watching cosmos doesn't make you a physicist

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

That Dell keyboard is one of my favorites as far as cheap shit goes.

yes it just werks

So I see you’re running Gnome! You know I’m actually on KDE myself.

>Usually people focus on what language to learn instead of any particular OS.
Revealed your low power level right there

smart people focus on algorithms, not langs or os's

but if you don't run Linux, and you're developing non-gpu intense software then what is the point of proprietary spyware?

Why is he so perfect?

>what is a server