I5 6600 vs 6600k

Explain why a 40% increase in wattage results in only a 6% increase in clock?

>I bought the 6600 because of this and I want to see how dumb I am

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1490835/the-gigabyte-z97x-overclocking-guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Diminishing returns

I originally thought that the wattage represents a higher overclock, but that isn't true. The wattage shows them at stock speeds. Meaning the 6600 silicon is much better than the 6600k.

it has a greater wattage to allow for (potentially) better overclocking potential

Unlocked i5 with power and not efficiency in mnd.

ya this. TDP is max wattage not operating wattage.

exactly
now let me learn you kiddies about some overclocking:
VID is the number that determines how much voltage your chip requires to run at a given frequency. Generally speaking, lower VID = better binning = higher overclock when you manually set the VCC

Got any decent links to learning how to overclock? I don't want to use my motherboards automatic mode. It seems to raise the voltage really high

what cpu and motherboard do you have :3

4790k, asrock z97x

>4790k, asrock z97x
www.overclock.net/t/1508450/overclocking-i5-4690k-on-asrock-z97-fatal1ty-killer
overclock.net/t/1490835/the-gigabyte-z97x-overclocking-guide

thanks bb much love

np :3 christmas spirit and whatnot. idk why anons on here are always so grumpy.
good luck, what cooler do you have for that chip?

Shut up faggot. I got what i wanted from you now fuck off.

kek

>tfw you 6600k runs at 4.6Ghz
Guess its a bit more after all.

If you have both the CPUs at the same clock speed they'll draw the same amount of power. The higher TDP rating is reflective of the maximum power drawn at the very highest overclocks possible with the 6600K. If you could overclock the 6600 non-k, intel would also give it a larger TDP rating, it's not that one is more efficient than the other.

that's the Sup Forums i know

>The higher TDP rating is reflective of the maximum power drawn at the very highest overclocks possible with the 6600K
This is wrong, with LN2 you could make the 6600K easily draw over 100W.

Everyone ITT is ignoring the fact that the 6600K actually runs at a higher base clock speed, and clock speed and power draw never scales linearly.

TDP is max thermal output. It is related to max energy tho. Max energy use is ampere*volt, volt is fixed and ampere is changing constantly (at the same frequency). TDP wont tell you how much energy your cpu uses.

watt is energy
Volt is potential
Amp is Current

He's right though. TDP doesn't have anything to do with how much energy the processor uses. It tells you how much heat the processor is build to generate, therefore telling you how big of fan you need.

Don't forget to take off 15 watts if you don't use the iGpu

You are a dumb shit for not spending the extra $20 for a k version

that's not what that means. 91W TDP means you need a cooler designed to dissipate the heat from a 91W chip. essentially it will consume roughly 91W (within some small margin since every chip is slightly different) at max load. increasing voltage and clock speed will increase power consumption significantly, and you should use a better cooler.