/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Removable-Cable-mod/p/11484987/category=2609209
youtu.be/sT0uhmDe6Qg
amazon.de/Digital-Konverter-Toslink-Audiowandier-Netzteil/dp/B013QME4AK/ref=sr_1_7?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1479908912&sr=1-7&keywords=toslink 3.5 klinke
mi.com/earphonepro/
amazon.com/HDE-3-5mm-Female-Coupler/dp/B000E9U9GC
amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK
ebay.com.au/itm/231010761330
mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ew.

Those were some shitty headphones I tell you. Komari is displeased.

PSA: DO NOT buy good headphones. It will ruin you.
>got hd600($270)
>it's too quiet
>get semi decent amp/dac smsl m6, happy with it($165)
>suddenly my 192kb/s doesn't sound that good compared to flacs or even 320
>so I replace my library it goes to 700gb, and I had a ton of classical on the line to download
>I go and buy reliable HDD 4tb($150)
>it's already at 2.4tb mark(I also had some jazz to add)

But at least I got my dream fulfilled of having almost all composers collected.

how is this "ruin" seems like a master plan to me

Learn to encode if your 192kbps data rate audio isn't transparent.

About to pull the trigger on the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80s for 133$. Is this a good deal or should I wait and see if the price drops further this Friday?

might as well see if it drops. thats only like 5 dollars cheaper than what I paid

I've seen them drop to $100

I'm just afraid the price will go up.
Wow okay maybe I'll wait till Friday just to see if it reaches that low. Will a phone with a pretty good integrated amp be able to drive these well? I have an axon 7.

Used Focal Elear for $840 shipped in mint condition? Should I do it?

Brand new it's 1000 and a 1 month wait list since they can't make them fast enough.

I'm tired of Audeze bullshit. LCD-2 was my favorite headphone ;(

Axon 7 will power them well.

>I'm just afraid the price will go up.
I doubt it, I got mine around 140 and I'm pretty sure thats the regular price for them

>Budget
tree fiddy
>Location
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>Source
tree fiddy milli
>Type of headphone
mak sound
>Open or closed
da fuk
>Comfort level
maximumcomfy
>Sound signature
u w0t m8
>Past headphones
free hp earbuds

will you stop?

also ear infection.

beats solo's

Bose, Skullcandy, Earfrogz

Thanks a bunch lads. After I get them in planning on getting a removable cable modded to them like I did with my 7506s. Here's a link if anyone is interested.
btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Removable-Cable-mod/p/11484987/category=2609209

Goodluck :)

How would I get an ear infection... they are open cans.

Also I already bought it and it's right next time me but I can't use it cause UPS delayed my 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter... :(

I'm just posting again since I want more opinions on the used price (guess these headphones are still a little rare).

did you ask a few questions before buying?
why would anyone sell good headphones?
who was it?
did owner die wearing them?
how old is previous owner?
how clean is previous owner?
is $150 really that much to save?

Basically

>did you ask a few questions before buying?
Yes. He has about 150 hrs on them. No issues.
>why would anyone sell good headphones?
He said he wants to keep trying more headphones out since he is relatively new to the scene.
>who was it?
Some dude on head-fi with +5 feedback.
>did owner die wearing them?
Haha no
>how old is previous owner?
Not sure
>how clean is previous owner?
The headphones were spanking clean and he mentioned it was a smoke free household
>is $150 really that much to save?
Kinda yeah. Also the 1 month wait... any place you try to order from, it's first come first serve as they are constantly out of stock.

youtu.be/sT0uhmDe6Qg
>176bpm
>speed

I don't think anyone thinks the HD 800 response ideal but that's a raw coupler measurement and they should look quite bright.

Why do you want them?

About to go for the ATH-AG1X since I'm tired of going cheap. The cloud II I'm using has too many problems to count and I haven't seen anything much about these being bad besides head support. Want to find one with a mic all in one and nothing separated
Thoughts?

Anyone used the Audioquest Nighthawk? Is it a meme? I'm trying to decide between the them and the HD650.

I have somewhere I can demo the two side-by-side if necessary. I listen to metal and idm.

>I listen to metal and idm.
yes

Yes it's a meme or yes it's good? lol

The night in Nighthawk is really fitting considering they are dark as fuck and start dropping off at 500hz.

Them being dark as fuck is what concerns me that I wouldn't like their sound. I also have some concerns about their physical design compared to the 650, in regards to just general serviceability and longevity (such as the weird little rubber arms that hold the cup to the headband thing).

Also, I would have to import them to get a good price, where-as I can buy the 650 local and know they'll last years with their spare parts being omnipresent.

I guess I can at least demo them.

From my own experience with the Nighthawk, they are quite comfy but the sounds like they shoved a shit ton of cotton in front of the driver.
The SE535 is fucking bright compared to the Nighthawk. It has that little treble presence.

Yeah, I suspect I wouldn't like them because of that. I had the UE6000 which measures kinda similarly in it's bass>mid>treble ratio and downward slope. I didn't like the lack of treble on those. I think I'll just go HD650, it seems the most sensible overall option for my needs.

My Koss Porta Pro ear pads disintegrated.

Any recommendations for new ones.

Doesn't neciserrily have to be just like the stock ones. Would be open to trying other ones if they were just as comfy or help produce nicer sound

PortaPro + HD414 pads "reverse quarter mod"

Bought some AKG K712's
should I ditch my beyerdynamic dt990's for em?

My current Sony MDR-ZX100's are getting pretty worn out and I need a replacement.

What does Sup Forums recommend that's relatively affordable ($120 or less), has overall good sound (low end preferred) and most importantly is portable. I'd want it to be able to fold up and fit in my laptop bag and be comfortable to walk to work (NYC) while wearing.

Got HD600, happy as fuck but now on the patch of getting amp/dac for it. Good thing I don't buy anything ever and have spare money.

Anyone tried/heard CEntrance DACprotable, how it compares to DACport HD? It cost 150$ more than DACPort HD, has in build 8 hours battery, bass/treble EQ like on HiFi-M8 and thats kind of it. I will use it at home with HD600 so battery isn't that needed but it's definitely a nice thing to attach to the phone. I want to know if it sound's anywhere different to DACport HD and how is the EQ. Some people said that it's basically a HiFi-Skyn in none iPhone package.

does Sup Forums rate the tma-2's? or are the tma-1 yung guru editions better?

are the meelec m6 pros just a reddit meme or are they actually good? want some fucking replaceable cable IEMs because I'm fed up of breaking three-four pairs of earphones in a year

>Budget under $30
>Location U.S.
>Source phone, tablet, sometimes laptop
>Type of headphone whichever drowns out aircraft sounds best
>closed or IEM/in-ear, whichever isolates the most
>Comfort level, sound is more important, comfort is extra
>Sound signature dont care
>Past headphones, mostly whatever came with devices, usually bought skull candy in-ears otherwise, they were better than stock but I also don't know much about quality nor have I cared until recently

I need something that I can hear whatever movie I'm watching mid-flight when all the actors are fucking whispering and my volumes up all the way but I still cant hear shit because of the turbines.

Hello friends, here is my situation:
I have a Toslink socket and a 3.5 mm jack.
Because I don't know anything about technology, I don't know if I can put a toslink jack into the SPDIF or the Coax socket of this adapter amazon.de/Digital-Konverter-Toslink-Audiowandier-Netzteil/dp/B013QME4AK/ref=sr_1_7?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1479908912&sr=1-7&keywords=toslink 3.5 klinke
Answers would be much appreciated
Sorry for being dumb.

>is it a meme?
did you even want an answer?

nobody knows. the "modular" design doesn't exactly promise anything good.

are you not down with my cool and edgy meme talk, user?
I do want an answer, thanks

I don't understand the question and in every way I could understand it, I couldn't tell you.

>Budget
£100, basically.
>Location
England
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very Comfy
>Past headphones
Currently using Superlux 668B's

Looking around, the DT770's seem to be the go-to in this kind of budget range. Is that still mostly the case?

If so, which model should I get-- and does it really make a difference?

Also, should I look into getting a DAC/AMP for these? Are there any good budget ones, I remember reading that the "FiiO - E10K" is popular-- good choice, or is there any other alternatives (budget around £50 for this)

Cheers!

I own a K702, but since people everywhere glorify the HD600, I'm about to pull the trigger on and check it for myself.
Is €275 a good price for a new pair (shipping fees and taxes included)? Its lowest price here was €240...has anyone else ever bought anythign from Bax-shop? They have a nice 60 days return policy, in case I won't like it.

>using the Audioquest Boomhawk

If you can return them, then is a safe bet, yesterday it was like 4 usd more expensive today its 262 in the usa, but i doubt it will get cheaper overseas in my country it is still at 275 usd with everything included like for a couple of weeks

Or shall I get a Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm Edition? It's €218 here (taxes and shipping fees included).

I'm also on the fence since I want a pair of cans for the desktop. The HD 25-1 II is great, but going at it the entire day really hurts my ears despite being used for several hour sessions.

I just need some comfy headphones for like $30 to buy for myself and my brother. Comfort is number one priority, and then audio quality after that.
Anything good for that cheap?

Is for

get both and return them if you don´t like them, the "big 3" have differences between them but i don´t really know if its worth for you to have more than one

Yeah I know. I'm afraid that HD600 might be similar to the K702, whereas DT880 might have that extra sub-bass that I'm looking for. The fact is that I'm super satisfied with my K702, I'm probably just expecting to find a headphone that can blow me away.

is it bad that the HF-5's strain relief is a legit cable knot

Need advice. First time buying a solid sound setup, do a lot of fps gaming and music listening, so I'm thinking open backs. After all my research, I think I'm gonna go with the FiiO E10K dac/amp and the ATH-AD700Xs. Good or bad idea?

Fill the form for better recs

Getting externals amps and DACs before you even know if you need them is a bad idea.

not my fault you can't understand a simple question
>are these headphones good?

Just bought myself a pair of Marshall Majors.
I do good?

Piston 3 or Piston 4?
Pls respond

Piston 5

I'm joking. It's the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro.
Official website: mi.com/earphonepro/

thx bby

Welp I just found out it had no braided cables.

lol wtf logitech g35 sound quality is GARBAGE

SPDIF. It's the only one that it would fit in.

Anyone have any recommendations on multi-driver IEM's in the sub-500 USD range? I had the UE Triple-Fi Pro 10's, but they recently broke. They lasted a good 5 years though.

I'm looking for something flat, with decent low-end extension, good separation and good sound stage.

Will an amp with 10ohm output impedance noticeably alter the sound from headphones with less than 60 ohms?

I made a set of TMA-2s on their configurator a while back:
s04 h03 e05 c05

I might pick them up next year sometime. Maybe? We'll see.

Depends on the impedance function. If the impedance is near flat across all frequencies absolutely nothing will happen. What headphones?

>The cloud II I'm using has too many problems to count

like what lol?

Honestly, just buy good headphones and a modmic/boompro

its pretty autistic to just refuse anything but headsets
you'll never get the same quality

these

Not sure if you guys deal in headsets but I might as well ask. Are there any good headsets or am I better off going with a mic and headphones separately? It seems like most of them are garbage headphones with a garbage mic sold to gamers for way more then they are worth.

770's if you want heavy V shape
M40x with HM5 pads if you want moderate V shape
Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT-100 if you want neutral [whatever is cheaper]

all great options, choose your preferred sound sig

Yeah, they typically are waste of money. There are like two or three that are kinda worth it.
Most headsets are worthless now due to Modmics and Boom Pros being affordable and easy to use, along with proper desktop mics getting a lot cheaper.
What is your budget though?

Seperate phones+mic is always the way to go. There are a few pretty good headsets like the hyperx cloud for example

Separate mic and headphones is always the better choice.

My budget is 50 dollars for a headset. If I go for headphones + mic I just need the mic since I already have a set of good headphones.

Yeah you're better off buying a separate microphone. What headphones do you have?

I have a pair of Superlux HD 681. There aren't the greatest headphones but on a college kid budget they are great for the price.

>Budget
$200 max
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop and Android phone, no amp
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
med-high
>Sound signature
doesn't matter, neutral or v-shaped preferred
>Past headphones
Monoprice 8323, Xiaomi Piston 3, Superlux HD668b (wearing now)

Thanks in advance

>Budget
£150
>Location
UK
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Don't Mind
>Comfort level
Medium-High
>Past headphones
Shitty Razer GayMen Headset

Looking at Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, friend has them and they feel nice and sound good. Getting paid tomorrow and want to know if it will be a good purchase.

Also, does anyone own a AntLion ModMic and are they worth £35?

>reliable HDD
if it's WD or Seagate you didn't buy a reliable one

Oh, the /csg/ meme god tier cheap headphone. Not bad.

Replace the pads man. You'll appreciate the headphones a whole lot more. The stock ones are aids. Cheap 5 dollar ones on ebay/aliexpress are fine.

Get one of these
amazon.com/HDE-3-5mm-Female-Coupler/dp/B000E9U9GC
And a boompro
amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

Less than 50, and will give you better mic quality than other cheper headphones.

k712

You need, NEED, new pads on any of the AT M?0x series if you've ever used anything remotely comfortable.

M40x are better than m50x as well. Not nigger bass tier, bass is actually tight, and the highs arent pure aids. Cheaper too.
M50x are the equivalent of Beats.

Modmics are fine. Worth whatever you value the ease of use at. I'd prefer a desk mic, but its up to you.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll look into replacing the pads on my headphones too because that would be awesome.

OK, Thanks

Do you recommend any new pads? I'm kinda new to headphones.

No worries.
These are the pads I got for my 668B's

ebay.com.au/itm/231010761330

They're okay, but if you've got the extra money you could look for something nicer.

Yeah no need to worry about it with those.

mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair
These. Worth the money. You can get velour ones as well, but they reduce the bass by a fair bit, and reduce the seal.

If you choose to get m40x over m50x, the m40x with the pads will still be cheaper than the m50x in the end

Alright, thanks senpai.

My brother is a pleb and is asking for some wireless IEMs with a budget of £40. Any suggestions (apart from "kill yourself")

Anyone?

>$500 for IEM's
r u serious bro?

I can spend a bit over.

As expected. It's gaymer marketed crap.

>multi-driver IEM
>Soundstage
>Seperation
>IEMs

With lower and lower ohm headphones It'll get louder per each signal unit, which could allow interference to become noticable