Buys Macbook

>buys Macbook
>installs Linux on it

Why do people do this? I could understand if they installed Windows, but OSX is basically like Linux anyway.

I don't really understand it either, Windows makes sense because tons of shit is Windows only but installing gnu/linux on a Mac is concentrated autism.

Autism plus they want to see linux on a very HD screen like the macbooks have but it ends up being shit

Autism bonus points if they completely delete the macOs partition

>OSX is basically like linux
fuck off back to Its "basically" like BSD, but that doesn't mean it can do everything BSD can, and that doesn't mean BSD can do everything it can.

>I don't understand why people do something
>therefore people who do it have le epic autism maymay
Macfags, everyone. In my case it's because Fedora has a user experience far ahead of macOS.

is this a screenshot form the new desu ex

Sometimes they are not bought. They are provided by their employer.

>it's because Fedora has a user experience far ahead of macOS
Whatever you say dude, if you're not going to use macOS you're wasting money. It's the only way you can remotely justify the Apple tax.

Got a Macbook Pro because my high school pretty much required it to use network resources, IT dept was useless and sat around eating ramen and playing CS:Source all day, therefore Windows/Linux support was terrible or nonexistent.

Recently finished high school, but lack of money means am stuck with MBP for near future. Prefer Linux as a primary, so currently running Mint as my main OS, but with a windows partition to run Adobe stuff, OSX just rubs me the wrong way now.

It's autism.

There's no excuse for bothering with that commie botnet shit OS on the actual hardware even if you're a kernel hacker, unless you're developing device drivers.

Sullying a Mac with Linux will be punishable by deportation under Trump, unless done in a VM.

>>buys Macbook
>>installs Linux on it
Nobody does this. Linux doesn't run well on Macbooks because half of the drivers are missing and nothing works.

i bought my yuppie gf's 2011 macbook for $90. so i will put whatever i want on it

>impliquant l'absence des drivers arrĂȘte autistes

Except for the part where OS X is insecure piece of shit.

>In my case it's because Fedora has a user experience far ahead of macOS.

Gnome3 is completely unusable

A lot of people buy Macbooks so they can have Windows OSX and Linux without jumping through hoops to test things out on. I have no use for a Mac, but I can see why some people do.

>insecure
no it's not

>muh unix
Yes it is. It's even worse than Windows, the only reason it doesn't get malware often is because no-one bothers writing any to target a minority when targeting windows is more lucrative.

That's a mid 2010 MBP without an SSD, it's probably a pet project or owned by a dev who wants good build quality for a massively reduced price.

yea fuckin blame the IT guy

>I could understand if they installed Windows

That makes even less sense than going through the trouble of getting Linux to work properly. Windows is objectively a shittier experience than MacOS. And to be honest, some distros just work on the MacBook. As long as you're using one of the main DE's, everything should work fine.

>but OSX is basically like Linux anyway.
But that's wrong. It has more in common with BSD.

And the answer to your question is simple. They prefer Linux as an operating system, but don't want to compromise on hardware.

> Fedora has a user experience far ahead of macOS
Top zozzle. Nice one.

Why would you buy a macbook at all?

From what I understand, macbooks have shit ports, shit hardware, and shit cooling. Seems like a recipe for buying a new one regularly.

That trackpad tho.

I don't know how much FreeBSD there's left from the fork of DarwinBSD, other than the netstack and userland. Most of the rest is either NeXT or Apple code, at this point.

Mac os forces updates, which makes your computer run really slow, this is programmed obsolescence. You can prevent this with Linux.

Serious answer: MacOS sucks but the hardware is pretty damn good. If you have the cash to burn I can understand why someone would do it. I'll stick with my Chromebook though.

I love and use gnome 3 on almost every machine, it's probably unusable for you cause you're to retarded to operate a computer.

Serious question. What do you like about the new MacBook pros hardware wise? What are they great at doing?

If I have a little bit of cash which spec'd our MacBook Pro would you get?

im on mobile so can't type what I want but basically I want to know if I should focus more on the GPU (460 vs 450) or the CPU (2.6 va 2.7 vs 2.9)

> forces updates
No, it doesn't.

It doesn't

>but OSX is basically like Linux anyway.
Linux has better graphics drivers than macOS.

I bought the new macbook just to have fun with the radeon pro 460

I wouldn't recommend the new MacBook Pros until Thunderbolt 3 hubs/docks become cheaper and more common.

What do you want to do with it? Personally I think you'd benefit more from the Pro 460 than a slight increase in CPU frequency but I don't recommend either version honestly.

Why wouldn't you recommend either? I want to run some neural net shit on it & not buy another laptop next 3 years.