I hear a lot of IT professionals have the opinion that Cisco is the equivalent of Apple in the networking industry...

I hear a lot of IT professionals have the opinion that Cisco is the equivalent of Apple in the networking industry, what's your opinion on Cisco Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html#wp1389423
cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9001039
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bunch of fucking jews mixing proprietary shit with open standards in a true EEE style

ENEMY OF YOUR FREEDOM

I did a 3 month internship there, it sucked.

Would love to hear more about this if you're in the mood to share

Fucking scavengers is what they are. Cisco hasn't done anything but buy other fucking technologies for years. But as someone almost certified and having studied Cisco shit for almost 2 or so years now, they are fucking networking. They're not Apple, they're more like Microsoft to be honest.

Absolutely pervasive and basically required to use if you're doing anything business related. Juniper, save us all.

Meraki?

Dell networking is holding envision position in garner magic quadrant

Interviewed several years ago for what was to become their open stack based cloud offering team, the engineers were working 100 hour weeks. Fuck. That.

Holy fuck this! Just saw what a $3k switch is capable of and Jesus titty fucking Christ that shit is nice!

It would be appropriate it compare it to microsoft due to pricing and market share.

For fags who are too dumb to use a CLI and want to entrust their ability to manage their equipment on being connected to the cloud.

I think its pretty fucked up that if you hire people with Cisco Certs you as a company get discounts on their software/hardware. That's like saying "you must pay for a cert, because your chances of getting a job in networking lower." Fuck you cisco.

Wrong way round. Cisco removed the headphone jack a long time ago.

Thought they might keep serial console for fucking ever, but finally. (mini not micro, but hey baby steps of courage right ?l

Apple is overpriced shit.
Cisco is actually pretty good, but still overpriced.
Cisco has some of the best stuff, but it's not necessarily the best value.

You're thinking of Cisco's version of Meraki. Meraki was GOAT until they got bought.

I used to work in Cisco TAC. For those that don't know this is a break-fix role where customer's have tiered level support. I was at the highest level of support and had P1 and P2 cases everyday. Backlog could grow 30+ cases and become unmanageable. Cisco doesn't really train their engineers, least not when I was there. They basically hired you and threw you in the fire. It was a miserable job and I wouldn't recommend it. They paid really well, paid overtime for weekend and holiday work but not worth it. Most engineers don't last long, very high burn out rate. Despite everyone telling you how great your role is, I thought I was at a glorified call center position.

Isnt it full of pajeets now? Do you still have access to their software library? I'm looking for

c3750e-ipbasek9-tar.150-2.SE10a.tar
asa917-11-k8.bin
c1140-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD.tar

My company uses maraki routers for the stores we support. They are all accessible through one portable

It's pretty cool

>It's pretty cool
Until you stop paying your bill, then you lose access to them. This also assumes that their website never gets compromised.

Unfortunately I don't. I no longer work there. The team I worked on was 99% white. Most of the Indians I worked with were in software BUs and friendly. There were a lot of feature request that would get passed through to them or high sev bugs.

Thank goodness. Plugging in a cable is easier than trying to find my one Latitude D series that still works, or digging out a USB/Serial adapter.

Cisco didn't remove the headphone jack, they switched from 1/4" to 1/8" after headphones stoped coming with 1/4" jacks.

Are you familiar with transfering IOS 15 licenses between devices? I want IP Services and only have IP Base. I looked around online and in theory if I had a IP Services switch, there is a Cisco website that has a series of challenge/responses which allow you transfer licenses between devices. I was wondering if I could buy a IP Services switch off ebay, transfer its license and then return it to the vendor who im sure wont check for this.

Sorry, no idea brother. Back when I was in TAC we didn't deal with licensing issues. There was a separate team for that. I was more break-fix when your network went to shit guy.

>Cisco's website isn't registered under cis.co
what the FUCK?! YOU MISSED OUT ON A HUGE URL OPPORTUNITY YOU FUCKS

We stop paying the bill it means we lost our contract so the maraki's are the least of our issues

It also means there is zero aftermarket for them. At least with used Cisco gear you can resell it on ebay. And if you want a home lab to practice on, it isnt that costly to get. With a Merkai you cant do shit without a service contract, and your entire network goes dark if finance forgets to send Cisco the check in time.

But on the other hand when you're supporting over 800 locations it's quite convenient

It's meh.

From a networking student POV, their equipment is quite nice actually and it's easy to manage and configure, but nothing magical or anything.

Their netacad portal is nice but their documentation is kinda bad.

I still don't have one of their certs yet, didn't try it actually.
I don't know if I should...

god meraki is a broken piece of shit. ive never used one so i just decided to try their demo, just inspecting a single switch, the clients page refuses to load, the power supplies page refuses to load, clicking the link to switch CORE 1 on the RSTP Root section does nothing and just takes me back to whatever switch im looking at. There is seemingly no want do basic tasks like setup a LACP port group. Every single port is configured as a trunk port. What the fuck is this other than a way to manage a bunch of consumer grade switches?

>There is seemingly no want do basic tasks like setup a LACP port group.
nevermind this, apparently it is the Aggregate button on the switch ports page. Seems unintutive that you can do it from the page of the switch itself.

>Gartner
>Magic Quadrant

kys

Juniper sucks too. They make some okay spec'd stuff and when it works it's fine but they are no savour.

It suffers the same issues as Cisco and basically everyone else.

Why do people buy expensive Cisco routers for tiny ass regional offices when plain Linux boxes can do everything a mid-range Cisco ISR could do for less than $500 total with the same level of reliability?

reliability. If there is a bug you can go to Cisco and get them to fix it, with Linux you get jack shit as far as support goes. Other reasons are you can power cycle a router and nothing bad will happen. Compared to potentially corrupting file system metadata on a linux machine. And that there are tons of more moving parts in a linux system compared to a purpose built device.

and then >>>/suicide/

i love how triggered you are that you post in every thread I post in, and how you can recognize my laptop screen so easily. what did I do to trigger you originally, were you one of the Xeon ES fags?

Because it costs more than 500 to have someone setup a Linux box to do it.

Places with those skills do exactly that. Places that networking isn't their core expertise go with the thing that is recommended and has a support contract.

>not using based mikrotik
People use Cisco because they don't know better. Your job as an engineer is to point out that you have better and cheaper alternatives.

>mikrotik
>literally a ARM CPU linux shitbox which doesnt offer any hardware routing features
>whos high end switch is only gigabit
keep on pretending your poorfag glorified consumer grade gear matters

Not with TAC but I think you couldn't do that, the UDI is generated from the serial of the equipment plus I think a contract number. You basically can't license new version 15+ devices without involving Cisco somewhere along the line. The image does not contain the license, rather, the license unlocks features of the image.

By contrast, version 12 had the license in the actual image so it was easy to copy copy copy and just hope you never get audited if you weren't legit.

Basically you'd need the contract information that the IP Services switch was sold under and the PO would have to give it to you. Otherwise you technically never own the license.

I think that's how it works to the best of my knowledge.

Does that answer your question? I bought a 3560-24PoE off of Ebay for 35 bucks but the fuckers shipped it without an IOS image. Knew right then I was pretty much stuck with a v.12 series image.

Mikrotik has its places.

I've used point to point wireless antennas that utilize Mikrotik and they are absolutely rock solid reliable. Awesome units, set and forget. However I don't think I'd put Mikrotik on an enterprise switch or router tbqh.

Like everything, it has its place.

cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html#wp1389423

>You basically can't license new version 15+ devices without involving Cisco somewhere along the line
they have a automated website which issues challenges/responses for each device you're transfering

>Basically you'd need the contract information that the IP Services switch was sold under and the PO would have to give it to you.
you dont, you just need the serial and model number

>Otherwise you technically never own the license.
i dont care about technically owning, i care about the features technically working

> Anonymous 11/23/16(Wed)22:51:35 No.57658200 ▶

Not with TAC but I think you couldn't do that, the UDI is generated from the serial of the equipment plus I think a contract number. You basically can't license new version 15+ devices without involving Cisco somewhere along the line. The image does not contain the license, rather, the license unlocks features of the image.

By contrast, version 12 had the license in the actual image so it was easy to copy copy copy and just hope you never get audited if you weren't legit.

Basically you'd need the contract information that the IP Services switch was sold under and the PO would have to give it to you. Otherwise you technically never own the license.

I think that's how it works to the best of my knowledge.

Does that answer your question? I bought a 3560-24PoE off of Ebay for 35 bucks but the fuckers shipped it without an IOS image. Knew right then I was pretty much stuck with a v.12 series image.
My 3560G accepts IOS 15 IP Services images without a license, it was before they were installed on the switch. pretty sure your 3560 is the same since it is even older

fuck me, ignore the 2nd half it should have been

>Does that answer your question? I bought a 3560-24PoE off of Ebay for 35 bucks but the fuckers shipped it without an IOS image. Knew right then I was pretty much stuck with a v.12 series image.
My 3560G accepts IOS 15 IP Services images without a license, it was before they were installed on the switch. pretty sure your 3560 is the same since it is even older

and
cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9001039

Cisco just werks

I really like my ubiquiti home gear though.

Yeah I'd be in the same boat. I don't have a big home wireless solution ATM but I'd totally go Ubiquiti for home not sure about enterprise as I've only done Cisco.