The way I have always watched movies and shows has been plugging my laptop into my tv via an hdmi and playing the file...

The way I have always watched movies and shows has been plugging my laptop into my tv via an hdmi and playing the file. Basically using the tv as a huge monitor. Now I'm upgrading my tv, bigger, higher res, etc. Problem is my laptop cant output 4k from Intel HD graphics so I'm forced to buy a desktop for this, basically as a glorified blueray player.

Is this right? Do I just need to do a build with a hdmi 2.0 card just to watch movies in that glorious 4k 60hz?

Tell me if I'm retarded or not right now pls.

Other urls found in this thread:

thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3-media-centre-kit
raspberrypi.org/downloads/
seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/
bestbuy.com/site/dvd-blu-ray-movies-tv/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-discs/pcmcat748301751785.c?id=pcmcat748301751785
bestbuy.com/site/google-chromecast-ultra-black/5578628.p?skuId=5578628
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you're not on kg or hdb so don't bother plen

>4k content
There's like 6 movies that are available in 4k. Most things you watch on it will be upscaled anyway and run at 24hz.

>4k 60hz

there are no movies that are distributed as 4k@60.

You aren't forced to do anything. 4k media isn't that prevalent yet. Just stick to 1080p for now

>his TV isn't a smart TV
Seriously, why?

Not OP but he says he uses discs for movies

Never mind, I'm retarded and skipped over "the file"

Either way, a desktop isn't the only way to play video files on a TV.

Any midrange to high-end TV from the last 5 years should be a "Smart TV".

If you don't, there are cheaper options than buying a fucking desktop just to view some files on a TV. Something like Chromecast

He's saying his issue is playing 4K media. Even though there is a very, very tiny amount of true 4k media out there, a Chromecast cannot play 4K. But his problem is he is wanting to output 4K@60 and his laptop is unable to do so. Tbqh it'd be cheaper just to buy the new Xbox or something. It can play 4K media at least.

How much does "smart" tack onto the price?
The smart features can kiss my ass with something else competent hooked up to it.

These days, every TV is a smart TV unless you're buying cheap chinkshit like Toshiba and Sharp. Go look what kind of TVs they're selling now.

Yeah, just needs to output 4k video right? Really doesn't have to be played from a computer.

Damn botnet

It's not a botnet unless you connect it to the internet, r right?

Surely there is markup for it though.
Guess you can't avoid the jews even if you don't use it.

>Surely there is markup for it though
Like I said, go look at what TVs are at Best Buy or something.

There's no markup anymore, although you could get 1080P TVs if you want cheaper. Maybe even a simple monitor

At this point, TV's are like phones too. Either it's smart or it's old

Good point.
My 2 year old LG Smart TV can open and play files through UPNP. New Smart tvs can still do it right?

rip

Yes.

Nice try NSA

what is htpc

I'm just telling you how the tv market is these days

You won't need to do that. A 4k television is going to be a Smart TV and that means it has its own CPU and integrated graphics. It's a decently powerful computer on its own, certainly good enough to play 4k video (duh!).

So all you need to do is one of two things.

1. Put your files on a USB flash drive and plug the drive into the television and play it using the TV's on-screen menu.

2. Create a network between your laptop and your television (look up DLNA guides).

Either of these options are extremely easy. There's no need to get a new desktop involved.

Only issue with putting your files on a usb to play them is that tv's only play certain file types and 99% of the time you will have to convert the file after downloading it to play.

Start downloading better releases then.

The pirate release groups know this and generally use containers and codecs a TV will play. Do 15 minutes of research about what your TV can play and you'll be good to go.

>blueray

It's 2016. How do people still fuck this up

sauce on the lady?

It's not like TVs are iPhones either, they have reasonable codecs. Worst case scenario you'd have to demux it into another file container

Mackenzie Dern, pound for pound the deadliest woman in the world.

OP YOU FUCKING RETARD.

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE HERE, DO THE FOLLOWING:

-BUY A RASPBERRY PI: thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3-media-centre-kit
-INSTALL OSMC: raspberrypi.org/downloads/
-INSTALL EXODUS ON OSMC: seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/
-WATCH FREE MOVIES AND TV SHOWS
-???
-PROFIT

lel shut the fuck up

that is retarded

OP just download your files and put them on a USB stick like a normal person

>he wants ads over the shit he's watching
>he pays more to have a tv putting ads over its contents
what a cuck

>chromecast
>4k
does not compute

>6 movies

bestbuy.com/site/dvd-blu-ray-movies-tv/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-discs/pcmcat748301751785.c?id=pcmcat748301751785

bestbuy.com/site/google-chromecast-ultra-black/5578628.p?skuId=5578628

ok

The thing is 1080p movies look fine on 4k anyway

Spend enough on a TV like one of the more expensive Sony Bravias and they do some magic upscaling via the TV that makes 360p look amazing on a 4k 65" tv somehow

What's the point? It's just taking him longer for the same thing.

checked

consider a nuc or other micro PCs

just build a tiny pentium 4400 ITX. it's as small as a mac mini and it will cost you like $300.

Anyone has experience with Wasabi Mango TV? I'm thinking of the U400 model, just for watching shits.

You're willing to pay extra to be advertised at MORE. Smart TVs are a scam.

Buy a chromcast?

this p much, as long as your home wifi can handle 4k streaming

Better quality, subtitles, audio options, can play every type of file under the sun, you have the file for later and eventually you will build up to a marvellous mega collection.

I swear the young streamfags need to go.

>implying the pi has HDMI 2 output

So I did a test run on my laptop, 4k @60hz video and look at that 98% CPU usage. CPU is an i5 Ivy Bridge 2.5GHz.

well youtube has pretty shit performance even over html5. try to use flash player, might work better.

apart from youtube you will never need to play 4k60hz, so why upgrade.