Why does Sup Forums need 3 monitors when Linus Torvalds can run the world's largest open source project with just 1...

Why does Sup Forums need 3 monitors when Linus Torvalds can run the world's largest open source project with just 1 monitor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S5S9LIT-hdc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He doesn't have more than 3 windows open at the time. Partly because he does maintainance of the kernel.

He is such a nerd. :3

because he is not on the spectrum like most of the Sup Forums

My second monitor died about a year ago and I couldn't justify buying a replacement at the time, so I learned to live with it. Now I feel like I don't really need it, I mean all I really did was watch something on one while playing WoW on the other. I don't play games anymore.

Because I'm not as good as him so I need the second monitor as a crutch.

Because you don't need multiple monitors to answer emails

He wrote the original Linux kernel on a single CRT monitor.
Terry Davis also uses only 1 monitor.

I have two monitors which helped me a great deal in university. Having one screen for TeXStudio and the other one with e-papers was just so comfy.

not one sensible answer has given yet.

>this thread every day

He could have written it three times faster on three monitors with three keyboards

He doesn't watch anime

Terry Davis is a prophet chosen by God, he could write the whole OS without any periphericals if he wanted to.

>He wrote the original Linux kernel on a single CRT monitor.
wrong, who told you that?

Linus uses GNOME which is an incredibly productive environment, people with multiple monitors use inferior shit like KDE, LXDE, MATE and various tiling "Window Managers".

>productive environment
Who made a 'productive enviroment' is the user, not some kind of DE.

I had to work with a computer with only 2GB of RAM and running things with GNOME and one VM makes my system a piece of shit.

>inferior shit like KDE
Well, this is your shitty opinion. Did you at least try the lastest KDE?

I'm sorry you love it so much but KDE is just straight up trash, has been for the past 10 years. With GNOME 3 being moved over to Rust will be the final nail in KDE's cheap imitation coffin.

I used to have three monitors, sold one, gave another to a friend in need and now I can't be bothered buying anymore, one is enough for me now, all I did was strain my neck looking too far to the left or right back when I had three.

Gnome 3 still needs user tweaks to be usable.
The same goes for KDE (and ofc) i3wm.

Both Gnome 3 and Plasma 5 are seriously flawed. I just prefer Gnome 3 because it really is less buggy and prone to fail than KDE for someone who always uses a Cutting Edge distro like Fedora.
This is why Id just get an Ultrawide.

Funny you mention that, I've got one on order coming tuesday, I'll try it alongside my current monitor and see what I think, then I'll prob give this one to my brother for his new gaymen rig.

>programmer
>literally enters text for a living

He is doing the most basic function you can do with a computer. He has no need for anything more than 1 monitor.

People who do things like photoshop or premiere need two monitors so they can look at the subject matter on one and the editor in another.

>
it's still nice to have information on functions and other things you're programming with on one screen and then the actual programming on another monitor.

>Rust
Source? Also, if true, why in the fuck would they waste their time? It won't magically make it better. Sounds like the devs are fresh graduates.

>lel ye let's rewrite everything in a different language, it'll be better in the long run
>mrw

youtube.com/watch?v=S5S9LIT-hdc

0:20

>tfw he doesn't even use a 60% HHKB with artisan colored double-shot PBT key caps
/bst/ and /mkg/ would tear this loser apart

Because I am more effective with 3 monitors?

this.

because it isn't Sup Forums that has 3 monitors it's Sup Forums

Multiple monitors are for financially immature manchildren.

Why is Linus Torvalds still so fat when he has a treadmill desk?

I'm on a Compaq FS7600 CRT monitor right now.

He probably doesn't turn it on, its probably just for show.

He doesn't need as much on the screen as I do, but I'm not a programmer.

good for you

because he has a normal desk right next to it

He's not autistic but you might be retarded.

I used to use two monitors, back when they were like 21" - 24". Remember, a 21" 4:3 is generally at least as useful for coding as a more modern 24" 16:9.

Anyhoo, these days I have a single 27" 2560x1440. I would *love* a 30" 2560x1600, as those extra vertical pixels really do make a big difference for text editing and whatnot.

I use WinSplit Revolution so that I hit hotkeys to cycle windows through various positions. For example, I hit Ctrl+Alt+O to cycle between:

* Top, right quarter of screen
* Top half, right third of screen.
* Top half, right quarter of screen.

This allows me to easily tile windows (inb4 Linux tiling DE) and get a lot done on one monitor that used to take two monitors.

I'd still like to have a second monitor, but just a 1080p for playing videos while I'm doing other stuff.

lmaoing at wintard window management
*scoffs loudly*

Good one.

It's more effective than any window management I've ever seen by Linux users.

ahaha

> zero supporting evidence
> baseless condescension

Yeah, bud.

> zero supporting evidence
> baseless condescension

Yeah, bud.

You appear not to understand what evidence is.

You see, I explained how my system works. You, on the other hand, have absolutely nothing.

Ha

Multi monitors never made any sense to me and smells of nerd conspicuous consumption. It's a wasteful solution to a problem that virtual workspaces solved decades ago. But of course the fags with 3 monitors will find ways to rationalize it.

I use 3 vertical monitors at work, My workflow uses a lot of screen real estate.

I hate alt tabbing, I hate switching workspaces and I like being able to see lots of code without scrolling.

I've been using multiple monitors for over a decade now. The more time I spend at a computer the more room I want, it's not necessary, but it's damn useful for me.

I might. But I'm sure you are.