Black Friday is coming, and i want to grab me my first ssd. With that being said, is there a difference in manufacture...

Black Friday is coming, and i want to grab me my first ssd. With that being said, is there a difference in manufacture? if so, which brand is the to go?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.it/Crucial-MX300-Interno-SATA-Pollici/dp/B01DUNLMUU/
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DUNLMUU/ref=twister_B01J1LNJFG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.misco.co.uk
ncix.com/detail/crucial-mx300-750gb-sata3-2-5-d2-130181.htm?promoid=1714
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MMMNCLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480049481&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&
canadacomputers.com/pre-black-friday/images/BF-Flyer-Online-EN.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=8OEIeNqOGFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

samsung, intel and crucial

Samsung 850 Evo. Do not bother with anything else. At this price point, Samsung is the most reliable. Higher end would be Pro lines and higher than that would be Intel drives.

The 950 is a beast though.

Do not bother with SATA. Get an M.2 SSD. Either Intel 600p or 850 Evo

Does Sup Forums give their blessing?

Crucial MX300

This

Crucial's MX300 line is a good deal

Is it much different from the 840 EVO? I have that one, and I remember lots of problems with it online, even though it had multiple firmware updates. I have a 250GB one, but am considering getting a separate to play with Linux instead of using a VM.

Found it for £109.

The difference is the lack of V-NAND, their 3D layering shit allowing them to have denser memory while also increasing the cell size. Smaller cells are less reliable.

600p is as fast as SATA SSD in 90% of tests and 850 evo M2 is literally still SATA
If you want an M2 drive, don't fuck around, get a 950 pro

amazon.it/Crucial-MX300-Interno-SATA-Pollici/dp/B01DUNLMUU/

Is this worth the price? Should I take a samsung?

i know a guy who bought crucial mx300

he's gay now... ;_;

Same guy? If so, get it. If you can find the 500GB version for cheap, get that instead.

picked up a 500gb Evo 850 the other day, can confirm it's wicked sick fast. Beats my old 70gb ssd 320 series into the ground.

What about msata? Same brands apply?

Yep theres a huge difference between brands since each has their own software it seems. As in, software internal to the ssd itself.

Back when I bought mine the best were Samsung, OCZ and Crucial, I went with an OCZ and cant complain

>Evo
>Reliable
Ladies and Gentleman, this is Sup Forums

Are you one of those retarded HDD boot drive using autists? Just stop, you're not edgy.

MX300 is the best deal. Reliable and fast and cheap.

Just wait till the 960 EVO releases. Probably will be before Christmas

Whats the point? In all realistic work, it's not going to be faster than a 850 evo.

Samsung has longer warranties and high reliability.

This is a very good SSD deal on amazon if you're looking for a high capacity SSD.

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DUNLMUU/ref=twister_B01J1LNJFG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Any gud ~1TB SSDs?

should i avoid SATA III?

Yes. I want to but the company has horrible reviews:

uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.misco.co.uk

When did a 960 evo get released?
I remember the 960 pro is like brand fucking new right now

Anybody know where I can get a decent Western Digital 1 TB portable HDD for $40? I found a Seagate drive but I just trust WD more.

I seen 1tb samshit evo 850 for $250. 500gb for $130. deal still going i think.

crucial 750gb was like $99 or some shit, and there's probably some other deals around or those. they're cheaper than the evo 850.

should be fine with one of those.

pretty good deal right here

holy fuck lads, i just saw we have peaked at 3.5GB/s
when will we start seeing drives using PCIe 4? (and passing the bottleneck of PCIe 3)

Guys help this will be my first SSD purchase. Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB or 500GB

do yourself a favor and shell out the extra buxx for a proper nvme or pcie ssd
960 evo/pro

as for capacity, i honestly don't think it matters (for a system install) beyond 128gb so go with whatever you want

Go for 500GB if you kind get it for under $100.

Everyone doesn't have a slot for those and a adapter would just add on to the cost. A SATA SSD is more than enough for most people.

nigger they go in the pcie slot

nothing actually good like a Samsung ssd will be on sale, if it is you save maybe 20 bucks

agreed, intel might be slightly better but not for the higher price over the samsung one.

what if i want one just for my windows install and a few games?

cheapest is best right?

>do yourself a favor and shell out the extra buxx for a proper nvme or pcie ssd

thats a huge waste of money if you are only using it for home use.

No but Samsung and especially TLC shitty Evo drives aren't reliable. Samsung can't into firmware. Intel and Plextor are the way to go for reliability.

>spend 1.5x and receive 6x speeds
>waste of money

You are an idiot. You will never notice the benefit of pcie in the real world except when copying large files. Random read / write speeds are the same, at least until now. The only people who benefit from pcie ssds are movie editors.

and you will never utilize that speed. most people can't even fully utilize a Sata SSD just playing games and browsing on their PC. so instead of wasting money on speed you'll never see, just use that money towards getting a bigger SATA SSD.

Okay guys, I need some help here.

I built my own desktop and bought a decent business-class laptop about six years ago. I haven't kept up with consumer hardware since then.

I know literally NOTHING about any advances since then. I know SSDs exist, but know nothing else.

In you guys' experiences, how do SSDs stack up with plain old HDDs?

>Are there any SSD models or brands more reliable than HDDs?
>How much of a speed-up could I expect with an SSD than an HDD?
>How much should I expect to pay for an SSD over an HDD?

Since black friday and cyber monday are coming up, I'm looking to upgrade my laptop to use an SSD. Are there any good deals on reliable SSDs that you guys could recommend?

Oh and I'm looking for anything around 250GB or so. More would be a plus, but I'd prefer reliability over storage space.

ncix.com/detail/crucial-mx300-750gb-sata3-2-5-d2-130181.htm?promoid=1714

Should I cop lads?
219.99 CAD

>Are there any SSD models or brands more reliable than HDDs?
Intel and Plextor SSDs. Don't buy Samsung if it's reliability you're looking for. They had too many firmware fuck ups in the past.
>How much of a speed-up could I expect with an SSD than an HDD?
Sequential speeds are 2-5x faster if you're on SATA.. Random read / write speeds are way way faster and not to mention the extremely low latency. All in all SSDs make a big difference.
>How much should I expect to pay for an SSD over an HDD?
Depends on what kind of SSD you get.

Is it worth spending $70 on a 240GB Samsung 850 EVO, or cheaping out on a 250GB Sandisk Plus SSD (G26)
They are both TLC, and I don't want to spend more if it's not going to last longer.

>Oh and I'm looking for anything around 250GB or so. More would be a plus, but I'd prefer reliability over storage space

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MMMNCLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480049481&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&

>Is it worth spending $70 on a 240GB Samsung 850 EVO
Yes. The 850 Evo uses 3D-TLC nand which is a more modern approach of expanding the endurance of TLC

Thanks for the responses guys

>Intel and Plextor ... firmware fuck ups
Could you elaborate on this? I did a little bit of research, and it seems that Samsung hard drives are by far the most popular. What do Intel and Plextor do differently?

Also, for the sake of argument, how big of a reliability concern would a Samsung SSD be? Most of my valuable data is backed up elsewhere, but could a Samsung SSD be expected to work headache-free for a couple years at least?

>Depends on what kind of SSD you get.
Sorry, I know nothing about this. Would you be able to recommend me something to read to get up to speed on the different types and their pros/cons?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely keep that one in mind.
What about this SSD would make you prefer it over others?

Maybe with a proper file system and OS you'll notice the difference

>Also, for the sake of argument, how big of a reliability concern would a Samsung SSD be?
To be honest you will be absolutely safe with a Samsung drive. I tend to exaggerate when it comes to Samsung drives because of our experience with them in data centers.. And I'm talking about the pre 840 Serie here. I'm sure Samsung has improved. Samsung SSDs always shine in Benchmarks that's why everybody recommends them. I still don't trust Samsung controllers and especially their firmware. I still remember that bad TRIM bug it had. I still think Marvell controllers are the most reliable and Plextor has always done a great job when it comes to firmware. That's what they have been always known for. Intel drives have become reliable even though they still carry a bad reputation while people forget that they were one of the first who developed ssds

You seriously don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The impact of filesystems on random read / write performance ins negilible, especially in relation to SATA/PCiE

Is $159 CAD for the Samsung 850 EVO
Solid State Drive worth it? (second page)

canadacomputers.com/pre-black-friday/images/BF-Flyer-Online-EN.pdf

If you're a regular home user youll be fine with a newer Evo or crucial drive. If you do lots of movie editing, compiling, file sharing or of you're just paranoid, get an Intel or plextor drive. I know paying more hurts but potentially losing all your data hurts even mor

youtube.com/watch?v=8OEIeNqOGFM