Computer sadness/rage thread

ITT: things that suck

>hardware vendors will always make the worst software/botnets
>you can't create terminal based roguelikes using emojis which makes emoji completely pointless
>web browsers will always stay cancer

Other urls found in this thread:

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X201-severely-crippled-after-disabling-Intel-AMT-AT-in-BIOS/td-p/811249
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X201-Fan-Error-when-ME-AMT-turned-off/td-p/2045078
thinkpad-forum.de/threads/189807-Intel-AMT-auf-T420-vollständig-deaktivieren
ianrenton.com/blog/adventures-in-emoji/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>chrome on iOS crashed and you tried to hit restore but since restore was so close to the close button, you end up closing the popup and 100+ tabs are gone forever

>iOS
>chrome
>100+ tabs
sucks, but I think you only have yourself to blame

Your own fault for using a shitty browser that just uses the Safari web view anyways. And then opening 100+ tabs instead of using any reading list, downloading the tabs for offline viewing, keeping them in a single list with the information if you viewed it or not.

>just when you think you have a computer that couldn't possibly need to be upgraded any more, more bloat arrives on the scene
>the web will become more consolidated until all "browsers" are is a channel-picking app

>the golden of algorithms is over
>it's "train muh neuronal network" now

PCB's and tech products in general will keep getting tinyer and more glued-together-irreparable to a point where once something is manufactured it cant ever be opened without destroying it.

>no laptop will ever have a decent keyboard again

>>hardware vendors will always make the worst software/botnets

How to disable ME/AMT as much as only possible on Core i Thinkpads? Does it help not to install a driver for the ME serial over LAN (I didn't and a diagnostic program still shows that SOL is "enabled")? What possibilities to exploit ME/AMT aganst an unaware user have been discovered?

>What possibilities to exploit ME/AMT aganst an unaware user have been discovered?
If somebody gets Intel's keys (like the NSA for example) it's all over for everybody with iAMT / vPro in their box.

If you can't into English, don't post.

>want to support nips because massive weeb
>all nip tech companies suck

>Win10 forgets what the piss an Internet connection is
>Have to restart my computer to fix it
>Happens three times in the same hour
It's reasons like this why I'm experimenting with GNU^Linux.

>every smart device backdoored
>every modern x86 backdoored
>microphones and cameras on all devices
>the net is vast and infinite

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
>neutralize ME on X220/X230

OK, but how does such an attack work in practice? Has there been some proof-of-concept example?

Your cpu and nic carry an always-on backdoor for remote control

>"can't into"
>actual English

your're cant' into English to

>neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
>>neutralize ME on X220/X230

What about x201 which is first generation Core i?

>Windows Volume Licensing
>The cost

Arrandale don't work yet.

>hardware DRM will become more and more common

TweakTown, apparently

>separate computing environment

Welcome to the brave new world, user.
Have a nice stay.

>keeping 100 tabs

quantum algorithms m8

Has anyone experienced problems such as these:

forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X201-severely-crippled-after-disabling-Intel-AMT-AT-in-BIOS/td-p/811249
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X201-Fan-Error-when-ME-AMT-turned-off/td-p/2045078

Such reports make even trying to disable the fucking thing a scary prospect (especially the first one as that person's laptop apparently stayed in a semi-broken state ever since). How widespread are these problems?

Btw how about BIOS updates for these systems, are they best avoided? Are there separate firmware updates for AMT/ME, should these even be considered at all?

Since when does ME/AMT actually do anything if you don't have a compatible mainboard and enable it in BIOS?

genuinely curious, was there an actual report of a backdoor or something in the past or is this just a superstition?

This methode takes copies your bios image, deletes me partition with special script and then reflashes the chip. Completely different case. Fan is controlled by EC and ACPI.

>Every single site that forces some fucking javascript bullshit bloat that takes more than 5 seconds to load

Thinkpads which come with it obviously have a "compatible mainboard", and not only is the thing enabled by default but you can't even really disable it by official means (and apparently can get screwed over if you try, see ).

thinkpad-forum.de/threads/189807-Intel-AMT-auf-T420-vollständig-deaktivieren

>- VORSICHT: hier gibt es wohl einen BUG (Habe es bei zwei meiner X201 getestet):
1. Stellt man AMT im Hauptmenü über "General Settings" auf "disabled" dauert das Booten sehr lange und die Lüftersteuerung funktioniert nicht richtig! TPfancontrol zeigt daraufhin permanent 0upm und 0°C an und die Geräte wurden sehr heiss... habe es mehrmals getestet, anscheinend ein Bug bei der Ansteuerung des EC?! Des Weiteren bleibt das Bios hängen (stürzt ab) wenn man in die Config-Settings des Bios wechseln möchte... *kurios! Abhilfe schafft nur das aktivieren der zuvor deaktivierten AMT über mebx, dann kommt man wieder in die Bios-Config-Settings...

This is not the same thing.

wow that sounds like fucking cancer

then again, you get what you deserve for buying lenovo

this

the only thing stopping a person from accessing it is the lack of keys

if a state actor were to bend their will to this problem they could undetectably hack any Intel computer made since 2007 or so.

>enable it in BIOS
You don't really think that disabling it in BIOS would lock Intel out too do you?

>You don't really think that disabling it in BIOS would lock Intel out too do you?
AMT isn't designed to give intel access to your PC. It's designed for enterprise environments.

We use it at work, and it's pretty handy. If you don't know what it's for, you don't need to be worrying about it, IMO.

10 scheckels have been deposited to your account.

50 kekkles have been deposited into your meme-account

>hur le shillings maymay xD
says the guy basically defaming intel with arbitrary tinfoil accusations and zero proof

might as well be a hired AMD shill

Proprietary software running on my machine without ability being disabled = bad.

>2007
Seriously, why was that the cursed year since which everything went to shit?

>vista
>iphone
>facebook
>"muh web 2.0"
>chinkpads
>amt
>...

[captcha: renovation kakadu]

AMD is shit too. They have the same backdoor in their cpus.
What now, call me VIA shill?

You know what fucking pisses me off? I don't know if this is an issue exclusive to Winblows but FUCKING RAM MANAGEMENT
Like what the fuck, see pc, I have 7GB of my 8GB total RAM in use (not to mention the fact I'm basically only able to run Chromium with three tabs and Forza 3 then I'm out of RAM) but if you look at the actual RAM usage (again, aside from the fact that only about 20% of the running processes are my own, rest are native to Windows) that THE NUMBERS DON'T FUCKING FIGURE
I ACTUALLY ADDED THEM ALL UP2840492+531496+179644+127072+68660+56764+56380+50592+49228+42140+38076+19556+ 4 060 100
16916+16312+15528+14792+14252+11812+11284+8172+7664+6928+6640+6268+6088+5928+ 148 584
4724+4704+4168+3932+3912+3668+3380+3284+3208+3164+2756+2644+2420+2396+2056+ 50 416
1792+1648+1552+1508+1500+1408+1404+1244+1232+1164+1104+1068+1068+1032+832+828+ 20 384
692+672+656+604+600+580+... 3 804
4 283 288
I got tired once I hit the bottom and there were only about 20 programmes with 4~500kB of RAM usage so I didn't feel it necessary to add them but it'll sedinitely be under the tune of 5 MB or so
But anyway, point is, all those processes add up to 4.3GB of RAM which is NOWHERE NEAR the seven fucking GB reportedly being used, WHAT THE FUCK?

some oses have pages compression

Then why cannot it be fully disabled? In an enterprise environment you could enable the features you need and then lock down the BIOS so the end user can't change it. On the other hand, if you're a private owner of a computer with such "features", you should be able to disable them completely (not to mention, they should not be enabled by default). It kinda doesn't add up.

go fuck yourself you turd. Do you understand?

Same happens with CPU utilisation too
can ya explain that?

install gentoo, seriously

>be piece of shit thinking you're being clever for hating 99.99% of tech
>yearn for days you didn't even experience because you've fallen for the nostalgia meme
>never make a penny with any of your skills because you don't really care about tech except that you get to fight everyone with it by being a gay contrarian hence the above
stay in that basement, fags. in 3 years my house will be paid off and I'll have enough capital to start my own business. y'all fuckin losers who could have made it at one of the more laid back and lucrative fields in the world but instead you just chose to be autistic pieces of shit

unix systems generally lack Forza 3 gameplay support, which can probably be a seperate post in and of itself

Obviously. It's just a confirmation that disabling AMT using a certain setting in the MEBx indeed fucks up the fan as well as other things.

Btw, who realistically has both the know-how and the equipment to actually perform the mod mentioned by ?

gpu passthrough

are you too poor to buy a raspberry pi clone and a soic clamp?

Intel ME (which AMT is only a part of) is to Intel hardware platforms what systemd is to Linux software platforms - even worse, while systemd still hasn't been able to subvert the kernel itself and take control of it, ME has long been the master over the motherboard's actual BIOS/UEFI.

Assuming these intel keys were leaked, how would anyone get into anything if you're behind literally any router with a firewall?

>1366x768

every single time

>implying most firewalls are not backdoored too

>popular "news" sites will always contain uncompressed pictures
>you can get malware from ads, not even having to click on them
>top 10 lists on 10 different pages
>websites are bloated as fuck cause webdevs need everything to have fancy fucking animations

>10 on 10
This fucking shit.

yes exactly like I thought, every time this discussion comes up you only have your meme /x/ bullshit in response. all technology, is just a conspiracy, by the government.... riiiiight....

we've been over this before and the topic of packet filters comes up. are you saying that the next device that would capture that would purposefully not capture the backdoor packet as well? what if I use some obscure chinese shit, it would only drop the chinese backdoor packets and not the american backdoor packets, so I could bring both to get the results I want. Why is it after 10+ years of this router/nic backdoor meme we still have no packet traffic to prove this

also you have the option to turn off amt in the bios but that is just another backdoor I bet

No dual or quad intel nic motherboards low power cpu. I just want a tiny pfsense system. Now I am forced to use a mAtx case at least so I can add a pci-e Intel pro 1000 network card.

also
>youtubers, blogs, news sites and any form of media (excluding non profit user created) will always just agree with whatever the popular opinion is
the internet would be better if it was 90% hobbyists 8% businesses and 2% normies

This shit is absolutely the worst, especially if you see an addendum of "fixed the issue, plz lock"

more of this "I get to decide what the internet is about because I was here first" huh. what fun we're having. current shit meme repeated is that it must be for "document processing". If the internet was somehow left in the hand of BBS and usenet shits, it would be an anti-communication circlejerk tool where autobans based on word filters would be built into every website

I'm 19 been using the internet less than a decade so
>I get to decide what the internet is about because I was here first
doesn't really apply, also I never said I get to decide, I posted my opinion on what would make the internet better

Yea, because 768p has ruled since about one and a half decades.

In the 90s the internet used to be 40% businesses, 30% educational institutions, 30% hobbyists, 0% normies.

it also was 30% dead links, and 100% shit

Soon enough everything will be SOC anyway, giving them greater reliability.

Buy Panasonic

2nd

wish they made a 7 row let's note, I'd replace my x220 without hesitation if they did

core M with fan, 10 inches

>designed for
it's designed for giving access to anybody who has the keys user

we're in computing purgatory

MS mines bitcoins goy.

1 shekel

>Some AMD cores could actually overpower older Intel cores
I have a Athlon X2, and no, it doesn't catch on fire for some odd reason.
50°C on high usage.

Resource description framework (RDF). I can see some uses of it but it has more downsides, especially mainstream use but also for research purposes. It's so annoying to work with that you'd rather skip it.

>>you can't create terminal based roguelikes using emojis which makes emoji completely pointless
Yeah you can, kek.
>>web browsers will always stay cancer
It's not the browser's fault. The web itself is what's cancer.

>Then why cannot it be fully disabled?
Blame Lenovo? Lenovo is known to lock down their BIOS and make it airtight, probably more out of stupidity than malicious intent. (Like some internal documenting requiring the *ability* to lock it on being misinterpreted as requiring it to be locked on). I remember their proprietary RAID fuckup as well.

On the machines we have, you can turn AMT on and off just like any normal BIOS option.

And is plugged into your LAN. AMT piggybacks on top of the normal chipset with private link-local addresses.

>linux still can't really play mainstream games

and fuck wine.
it pisses me every time I have to install windows on the PC to keep up with my hobby. Aside from the laptop I don't really like to have multiple OS on my desktop.

You could just stop being a mainstream gaming pleb.

Or they port it to Linux and it's a half-assed port.

Are you the guy who refuses to accept that the web was meant to be an information sharing platform and not a media consumption platform?

>When u get hacked

>Parents both use iPhones
>Dad gets texted a sound file
>Wants to make it his ring tone
>Can't just change it in settings because sound files and ringtone files are different things in iOS
>No free way to make a ring tone file on the phone itself
>Can't just plug phone into computer and copy the file over
>End up having to email it to myself
>Open file in iTunes
>Save as ringtone
>Plug iPhone in
>Sync ringtone
>Set it in settings
>Spent over half an hour switching between iPhone and computer doing something that would take less than a minute in Android and would require no other devices

>Windows 7 updates
>reboot
>Wifi doesn't work anymore

Btw if anyone has the solution tell me, i don't want to reinstall again

>extremely general description of an extremely specific situation
>>>google

>what is gpu passthrough
>what is vulkan

>Ctrl+shift+t
>100 pages appears
Geez was that hard

>Yeah you can, kek.
Unfortunately that's wrong. They tend to be missing in a number of common fonts and there is no guarantee they are aligned properly.
As soon as you leave the ASCII range monospace rendering goes out the window rather fast.

>gayming engines use C# for "scripting" and use the term "scripting" for creating a game in another language that will turn out to be too slow
>instead of using a proper dynamic module loader which in turn does proper scripting for high level game objects

cont.
Even web browsers, the memest of memes can't handle it:
ianrenton.com/blog/adventures-in-emoji/

Also, since most terminals have one letter == one codepoint, you can't use font modifiers for rotation or mirroring.

Well, do they also have some kind of "management engine" in their new chips?

>forza_x64_final.exe
>CyberGhost.exe
>MsMpEng.exe
>CyberGhostService.exe
>MSIAfterburner.exe
>Plex Media Server.exe
>NisSrv.exe
>Plex DLNA Server.exe

what about uninstalling all those shit, or if you really need them just disable their background activities while not opened.
my win10 uses 700mb ram in idle state.

HAHAHAH APPLEL FAGS KEKED AGAIN.