/sqt/- Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions that don't deserve their own thread here.

old one: ---------------------

OP Question: which software does Sup Forums trust for encryption - veracrypt after the audit? truecrypt?

Other urls found in this thread:

namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/category.aspx/11/dynamic-dns
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell
olddomain.com
amazon.com/abcGoodefg-Professional-Precison-Screwdriver-Smartphones/dp/B013JY9MS4/
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144923
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144924
tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-bla-43134mxn-smart-43-inch-full-hd-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/418-9896.prd?skuId=418-9896
tesco.com/direct/sharp-lc-49cfg6001k-smart-full-hd-49-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/617-9979.prd?skuId=617-9979
visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/8958106-change-icon-for-visual-studio-2015
visualstudioextensions.vlasovstudio.com/2015/12/02/on-changing-visual-studio-2015-icon/
cryptophone.de/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am hosting two websites on one VPS. One domain has TLS enabled through Let's Encrypt. The domain I just configured on the Apache server does not.

From what I have gathered, this kind of setup is a bitch.

I want to turn off the HTTPS on my first domain without removing all the keys and setup (in case I want to migrate the new domain to its own server later).

How can I quickly turn off HTTPS in Apache?

I want to host a purely HTML website, at home, with it's own domain. I know this has to be possible, since companies can register domains I will assume I can too, and as I can give other people my ip and port allowing them to connect to my website. No I don't need perl scripting or php or javscript or forms, no this site will not be having much traffic at all as it is very niche, no it does not even need to be up 24/7 as it will mainly be something I just link to people as it is a niche information center, every website seems to just try and dissuade me by making it sound so fucking hard when in reality I already have an HTML website, and all it takes is a single python3 command to bring it up which is all I need, just how do I get a domain so I don't have to give people my IP, therefore making it more memorable? Do I just contact my ISP?

recommended tiny cameras or cameras on pens?

How do i merge 2 mp4 files?
ffmpeg does not work
avidemux does not work
mkvmerge does not work

Is sabayon ok to install if you don't want to or can't figure out how to install Gentoo?

Buy a domain from a registrar which supports ddns (e.g. namecheap) and use some form of ddns client

Is there any way to make it so when you search from the windows 10 start menu it opens up a search in my default browser instead of the bing/edge bullshit?

nope!

Nice!

can I learn to program on a chromebook

What about setting up a DDNS Server? I am looking this up and this seems like you've put me on the right path but all the websites say "oh setting up DDNS is absolutely free, you just need to buy a DDNS HOST!". If I could just figure this out I would add a section to my website dedicated to teaching people how to do what I did

install blender
open the video editor interface
drag and drop the videos onto the timeline
line them up
export to a video format

its a pain in the ass but its just what i know, thankfully it is free

I have an amd pc, looking to upgrade my cpu to intel

Will i have to reinstal windows? Im swapping my cpu mobo and ram

About to buy a GTX 1060.
Single fan is $250.
Blower is $250.
Dual fan is $270.

Is the dual fan necessary? Worth $20?
Would a traditional fan be better than a blower?

What 1080p, 40-48" television should I get?

>48"
>1080p
get 4k user

You can learn to program anything that has a compiler or interpreter. A chromebook out of the box has neither, so no. You have to put some other linux distro on it to do anything with it.

If money is a huge issue for you, I reccomend getting a used raspberry pi, ssh'ing into it, and using that machine to learn programming on.

what're some encryption algorithms built into python or built into default python libraries (similar to import hashlib letting you MD5, yes I know MD5 isn't encryption it's an example)

Nothing I have outputs 4k and I don't want the input lag from upscaling

Depends on your case and budget.

If you would like to save, get one fan.
If you are using a midget case, get blower style.

DDNS is literally just sending a POST to a registrar's address with a password

namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/category.aspx/11/dynamic-dns

>ssh
can you explain what this is?

I heard about crouton. Is this recommendable? I'm looking for a cheap laptop to write docs and learn programming. Chromebooks seems nice because I'd have my calendar/gmail/gdocs, and if I use crouton I can program in ubuntu?

Secure shell is used to remote access command line interfaces

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

Sure. SSH means "Secure Shell". It is a way of me accessing and using a computer remotely. I open up a terminal window, type in the ip address or domain of the computer I want to access, type in my credentials, and I get a command line terminal window for that machine. The command line terminal window behaves the same as if I were physically sitting in front of the computer typing commands into it.

I use ssh to access my home computer from work, my work computer from home, my media center from my home computer, my minecraft server from home, and my professor's homework server from anywhere.

A raspberry pi doesn't come with a monitor, so if you want to use it you either have to get a monitor for it or use ssh to access it from another computer. If you have a linux machine or a mac, you can use ssh directly from the terminal. If you're on windows, you have to download a program called "putty" to use ssh, but it does the same exact thing as a normal terminal window.

What are some good headphones that I can get under $150?

Which monitor should i buy for £400 max? Preferably 27 inch. I have looked around for days ,but keep coming back to square 1 so any input is appreciated

>give literally zero details about what you would use it for

not really, what's your budget?

Please Sup Forums recommend me a new mouse,
i have $60 bucks to spend.
My old g400 is almost broken.

There is not.
You will unless you want OS corruption.
Logitech G502

its out of stock on all fucking stores around here.

Just games and browsing the net

Well fuck. I just posted this in the other thread by mistake.

Solved. I just removed the virtual host .conf file for the domain that is served over HTTPS and moved its contents back to the default /var/www/html directory. The new domain has its own virtual host .conf file that points to /var/www/newdomain.com/html.

Now newdomain.com and olddomain.com run off the same Apache server.

thank you this was perfect for my level of expertise

I have a Power Color r9 380 4GB I'm trying to overclock but if I set it higher than 1050 MHz in afterburner I get a crash. Is the card not cut out for it? I only know cpu overclocking well.

Trying out Puppy for the first time. Holy shit this is running so much faster than Lubuntu was. However, I'm still learning how to get things to actually, y'know, work.

Right now, my issue is the desktop. When I click the desktop, the entire desktop changes. On some themes, the icons just shuffle around, while on at least of of them, every icon but mounted disks/partitions disappears and the background image/color changes. Regardless, it's a pain in the ass. What the fuck is up with that? Is this due to JWM+RoxFiler and I can fix it by switching to a (heavier, but more familiar) desktop environment? Do I just need to install the fuckers or is it more complicated?

If i touch the wall heating element i my room and the vga port on my laptop at the same time, i get a shock.
There's something wrong with my computer, right? I'm kind of worried for it.

>Silicon Lottery my friend.

Whats the difference between the HD 598 SE and the HD 598 CS?

CS has closed back so it will sound different and leak less sound

Which one sounds better? I dont care about sound leakage

what's the best W10 application for playing 4k/8k videos?

(I have a GTX 1060)

Come on please for the love of god...All I want to know is if there's overclock potential on the gtx 1060 that hasn't yet been massaged out of the chipset. Sounds like there's a coded-in limitation to maximum voltage that no one has bothered to crack just yet.

No I'm not getting the 480, I'm building an eGPU and the 480's performance in an external enclosure is notably lower.

Open ones are usually considered better but both styles have their fans

i dont know from experience but i bet your best bet would be a lightweight viewer like mpc-hc or mpv

what do you reckon then is the best file format for 4k/8k vids?

h264 for compatibility
h265 for size

What are some good tools (screwdrivers, pliers, crimping, etc) to repair computers i can buy in amazon?
Got some extra credits and i kind of need them.

I was thinking buying this:
amazon.com/abcGoodefg-Professional-Precison-Screwdriver-Smartphones/dp/B013JY9MS4/

Is it a good idea?

I'm currently running winblows 10 on my PC and I'm looking to get an SSD

Is there a legal way for me to install a copy of windows on my SSD without buying a whole new copy?

One of my machines already runs linux, the pc in question is just for vidya

windows 10 is locked to hdds now? what the fuck? you sure you cant just grab the license key and use it on install?

I have no idea if I can or not senpai

Sup Forums,

How come we don't see more single address space operating systems?

They seem pretty sweet in concept

You only would have problems if you changed motherboards, not storage devices.

Yes, you can just clone or reinstall and it's fine

I'm looking for an Android tablet with a good or very good GPU and plenty of RAM to play games, but I don't care for any other extra features that unnecesarily inflate the price, just basic connectivity like wi-fi and not much else.

What are some good options that won't hurt my wallet too much?

>inb4 he plays mobile games lol
I like car games, ok?

That's interesting. So I can just download this:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

burn that shit to a DVD or put it on a USB and I should be good to go?

Need your help, guys

I built my computer about three months ago, installing two 4GB sticks of RAM. About two weeks ago, I ordered two 8GB sticks so that I could have a total 24GB of RAM.

I followed the manual for my motherboard, which said that Channel A would be slots 2 and 4, and Channel B would be slots 1 and 3.

I installed the two 8GB sticks into slots 2 and 4, and installed the original 4GB sticks into slots 1 and 3. Now, my computer recognizes that I have 16GB of RAM installed, therefore not recognizing the other 8GB.

Motherboard -
Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151

RAM -
GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133

I heard about setting this up properly in the BIOS but I'm a bit clueless on what to do there

>I heard about setting this up properly in the BIOS but I'm a bit clueless on what to do there
well fucking linking the post you found might help, honestly shit heads like you don't deserve help but I'm bored shitless so..

Post Speccy RAM section.

It was some random post I found on google about a month ago, don't really have it handy. I did some reading but I didn't have the time to do it at the moment and I just kept forgetting about it.

I can't open threads in a new tab from the catalog in pale moon anymore what the fuck is going on

2 of your RAM sticks are not being detected, probably the 4GB ones.

Did you correctly placed them? did they lock correctly in place?

checked

Yeah, they did. I guess I'll open it up this weekend and re-insert them. But as far as I could tell, they were all locked in properly.

Next time dont mix RAM brands.

They're both the exact same brand...

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144923

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144924

update: when right-clicking anything on the catalog it just shows me the last right click menu that I used that wasn't on the catalog. If I right click on the catalog first thing it has every option ever available, and they all do nothing.
It may be a java issue with pale moon

i have a lenovo y50-70 touch laptop
recently, whenever i turn it on, the fan goes to max speed despite only just starting up and the laptop not being hot in the slightest. it's really loud too.
i cleaned it inside and out, and it still makes that noise. putting it in power saver mode doesn't do anything either. the only way to stop this is to put it in sleep mode for a minute and turn it back on, but that's getting tiresome.
what else can i do?

Is 400gr of canned air a lot?

Anyone know where I can get VESA mounting bolts for cheap? I keep losing them and can't find anywhere that sells them online.

I wanna get into programming. Which make more money, front end developers, or back end? Which has more fun languages to learn? Is it easy to get a job as a programmer, and do you need a CS degree?

You should be fine but some parts of your OS might not be happy with it. A reinstall is recommended but not essential.

Small case --> Blower
2 fans running at lower speeds will be quieter than 1 fan at high speed, though it depends on the size of the fan. Link the GPUs you're thinking of buying because there's a few other differences that are important.

Philips SHP9500 if they're on sale, they get really cheap on Amazon and Newegg every now and then. For cheaper I'd recommend the Superlux HD681B or HD681 EVO. Different use cases will have different ideal headphones though. Fill out the form from /hpg/ and post there for more recs.

Nice quads. Depends on use case. Are you using it for MMOs or FPS? Does wireless connectivity matter to you? Do you need/want a perfect sensor? What sort of grip do you use? Do you prefer light or heavy mice? Are you using Linux? How many buttons do you want? Is a DPI switch important to you?

Most screwdriver sets will perform about the same. That one looks fine.

The NVidia shield tablet comes to mind for actual gaming. I can't think of that many tablets that have decent GPUs in them.

Some motherboards, CPUs or RAM sticks won't play nice with different brands, sizes and speeds of RAM.

can you "trick" an integrated stereo audio card in a motherboard to output the center/subwoofer signal from the mic input and (obviously) the front signal from the audio out?
or, how do I use a 5.1 speakers without a 6 channels sound card?
is it possible?

front/back end don't have set amounts it all depends on the project (usually back end though) how fun a language is depends on the person, depends on country, what certs you have, what qualifications you have, where you want to work, what your github looks like, how good you are. If you're good and have a good github CS degree isn't needed but it helps massively getting that first job

formatted it better, sorry it's late I'm tired
>Which make more money, front end developers, or back end?
front/back end don't have set amounts it all depends on the project (usually back end though)
>Which has more fun languages to learn?
how fun a language is depends on the person
>Is it easy to get a job as a programmer
depends on country, what certs you have, what qualifications you have, where you want to work, what your github looks like, how good you are
>do you need a CS degree?
If you're good and have a good github CS degree isn't needed but it helps massively getting that first job

Can anyone recommend me a dumb phone? I just want it so I don't need to have my smartphone connected to the network all the time.

I've been eyeing the nokia 216, but what the fuck do I know?

/smartphone general/ is too smug to discuss feature phones. Tried there.

Plain gpg.

Is there a way to login to an xp machine without knowing the password without changing it.

second part, is cracking domain cached credentials any faster than ntlm or is this a whole waste of time

which one?

tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-bla-43134mxn-smart-43-inch-full-hd-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/418-9896.prd?skuId=418-9896

tesco.com/direct/sharp-lc-49cfg6001k-smart-full-hd-49-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/617-9979.prd?skuId=617-9979

they've got exactly the same features

ffmpeg -i 1.mp4 -i 2.mp4 -map 0 -map 1 -c copy 3.mp4

no, because it defeats the purpose

Will a DMS-59 to two DVI connectors output the digital and analog signal so a DVI to VGA connector can be used? I'm assuming it can if the eBay listing actually looks like the stock image but just want to be sure.

Hey, I just noticed this after installing some update for VS2015 (poorfag community edition).

Is the icon really supposed to look like that?

and for some reason it's displayed with proper transparency in the Start menu, but links to the same "broken" icon when I check the properties of the link.

What's going on? This triggers my autism.

>making backup of Windows folders on Linux Mint laptop
>the backup is noticeably bigger and has more files on Mint
How? Are there some hidden files? Does one of them calculate 1000MB to a GB and the other does 1024?

199 files totalling 7.08GB went to 201 files totalling 7.6GB (mostly videos)

a separate folder of 2182 files totalling 1.02GB went to 2252 files totalling 1.1GB (mostly images)

note: there are no compressed folders either

I got a Msi Gtx 1070 X 8G for about 400€ new and unused. Is this a good deal?

>synergy
mah nigga.

Maybe try making a new icon for it (by editing the old one, or getting it online)?

if the right side is a + and not a - it should

Yes.

>Yes
To which of my three questions? The last one?

I don't fuckin' know what the prices are like where you live, check for yourself.

synergy has become one of my favorite powertools, it's so awesome to use the same kb+mouse for desktop+laptop.

Yeah, I just googled it, and it's a known "problem" for VS2015 Update 1, they added shit shit tier icon to be distinguishable from the old version. Seems I'm not the only one unhappy about it, went back to the old icon.

visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/8958106-change-icon-for-visual-studio-2015
visualstudioextensions.vlasovstudio.com/2015/12/02/on-changing-visual-studio-2015-icon/

Also, first I thought it must be a glitch with my toolbar or GPU or whatever, there's no way an official icon can be so bad. But it is real.

Please, respond.

>Can anyone recommend me a dumb phone?
Long term use?

>doesn't post what he's using it for
cryptophone.de/