So, are you going to upgrade to the i7 - 7700k Kaby Lake when it's released?

So, are you going to upgrade to the i7 - 7700k Kaby Lake when it's released?

4.2GHz, Turbo up to 4.5GHz
4 Cores/8 Threads
Socket: LGA-1151
8MB Cache
TDP: 95W
Price: $349USD

I'm going to give it a year or two and buy one when I build my new desktop.

Nice quads mr intel shill

I think i'll stick with my amd as i only use my puter for infowars

back to /pol

Boring release of Intel.
Wake me up when they released 10nm/7nm process

If AMD does well with Zen then good for them. I'll stick with my Haswell processor for now.

What about the problem with Quantum Tunnelling? (Spelled correctly).

My next upgrade is probably going to be something that can drive at least 2 x16 PCIe slots.

Any non-soldered kaby lake with L4 cache? Like the i7 6875R but without being cucked into FCBGA1440

meant 6785R

No because my dream bin i7 4970k is still very good and I want more cores next.

i have a 4790k and a mobo with 16 power phases iirc, i'm not upgrading any time soon

Nah, nigger. I'm not poor. My next upgrade is the i7 7800k.

Probably. I am using a gen 1 i7 on water @ 4.0ghz. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep up with all of the new fun stuff with an 8 year old motherboard.

I still regret upgrading from my 2500k 2 years ago so no, I'll keep my 4670k.

Quantum tunneling is not a problem pre-7nm, below 7nm there's a problem though (leak). After that we need quantum computing.

With that CPU, and with that amount of time spending with that old, inefficient CPU you could've bought a new Skylake CPU with all that money wasted. Inefficiency sucks.

u def should.

Let's see what Zen can offer me first

Let's see:
>5820K
>6-core/12 threads
>15MB cache
>Overclocked to 4.4GHz
Nope.

Let's see:
>6850K
>6-core/12 threads
>15MB cache
>Overclocked to 5.4GHz
>PhD in plumbing
>$300K starting
Nope.

You do not understand what quantum computing is. Quantum tunnelling is an issue in Si transistors below 7nm, but quantum computers in no way help solve that problem. They're fundamentally different than transistor based processors.

4790k and I don't see reason to upgrade yet.

Games haven't been that good, and don't think this new shit speeds up video encoding that much to be worth the expense.

If I can't find a cheap 6700k in the next few weeks. I'm upgrading to a 7700k. I mean if I can get a 6700k for like 260ish, I'd rather just get that.

Considering I don't pay the electric bill here, I really don't care. I just let this thing run BOINC to keep my room warm in the winter.

Yeah, I know. lol. I plan on it.

Also, not to mention, electricity here is extremely cheap! ( paying around 4.5 cents per kWh )

intel shill thread

Is there any big difference from Skylake tbqh?

>be me
buy a Xeon E5-2670 8 core $60
buy a 2011 motherboard $150
set for 5 years

Devil's Canyon bro, I can attest to this.

So its like a mild overclocked i7 6700k

I upgraded from a 950 to a 6600k in October. Between the Black Friday deals and the Kaby Lake info I'm kind of regretting it.

youre a virgin, arent you ?

are you autistic OP? I got my fx8350 for 100 euros and it has not only twice the cache at 16 mb total cache, it actually has 8 cores. your fucking overpriced intelshit has only 4 cores and pretends to be a glorious octa core

Intels are the apple devices of CPUs
overpriced and shit

>8 cores
8 half-cores
>16 mb total cache
MOAR CACHE
>what is fetch algorithms
>what is cache speed
go back to

Sandy Bridge tier single core performance 5 years after Sandy Bridge was released.

You could just buy some old Sandy/Ivy Bridge E processor and get Zen right now, without whatever debilitating problem it might include like how the Rx480 fried motherboards and how the fx8350 sends your data to Saudi Arabian businessmen through a backdoor.

Keep slobbing that Intel knob.

If you need a PC next year, Kaby Lake 7700k is the best available

If you can wait until Coffee Lake 8700K 6 core is available in 2018, that will be the best available

I'm still on a 2600k, so as soon as they are available for employee discount, I'm getting one

Quantum computers are only faster in certain computations, cost a lot, need to be cooled to barely above 0 K and consume a ton of power. They will not replace our current processors.

No. My 6800k will do just fine

I used to think that to long ago, it doesn't work that way unfortunately.

There is a huge performance per core difference between those processors.

What does this offer over 6700k?

Why the fuck is this shit taking so long to come out.

considering upgrading my i5 2500k to an i7 6700k

Or do I wait for this new generation

Is it worth the wait even?

Because AyyMD

200MHz faster core clock frequency.

A fine enough reason to go with it if you don't already have a CPU and are thinking of getting a brand new one but if you have at least an i7 2700k or something you can probably still reach that performance.

2500k is still fine for most things. If you aren't in desperate need for an upgrade, just wait for Kaby or Zen.

That is how I am seeing it now as well
Considering waiting until Kaby or the 10nm chips when they get around to it

Quite the question for myself I feel

>b-b-buh Intel is da jooz! Nvidia is evil!!!

Dont care. Still better than any dogshit AMD makes.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't bother upgrading, I'd wait for AMD Zen to be released.

If it brings a high enough boost in performance I'd consider going to that or way until Intel pulls a "secrete" project they had hiding for 5 years of new super advance architecture that isn't just a 5-10% improvement and go for a major overhaul.

You probably won't regret it.

But if you really want to upgrade, like you want USB 3.1 and type C integrated (you can get this anyway), you want the built in option of adding in an M.2 SSD (you can get a PCI-E x4 SSD), you want PCI-E 3.0 x16, then by all means go right ahead.

Waiting is only a good thing to do if you're comfortable with what you have.

i7 920
kept skipping generations because always disappointed ie non solder
probably get skylake-e
zen and kaby will compete with it
also I'm brexit so unwilling to spend my currency while it is down

What is AMD's Zen?

I really have only been an Intel person so I am not too up to date on AMD's stuff

>$349
That's it when it's released? I thought it would be higher, above msrp for a while in the first month it comes out.

I'm on a 4.4 ghz 2600k and I don't really care.

The only thing I'm curious about is how competitive Zen will be

Is $259.99 cheap enough for you? That's the price at microcenter until dec. 4th for i7-6700k.

Hey Intel shill,

Instead of shilling the top tier shit why don't you tell us more about that unlocked i3 with hyperthreading I read about?

ZEN is supposed to be AMD's answer to how shitty Piledriver, Bulldozer, and Excavator architecture.

That's not to say they're complete shit though, it's just as years go on they seem to be less and less competitive at this point.

Even though Intel is increasing their processors performance each gen by only 5-10% (after Sandybridge) it adds up quickly when AMD was already a bit behind with the Nehalem architecture from 2010.

So Zen is making some major promises of a good architectural overhaul meant to compete hugely with Intel.

I hope it does so Intel can get off it's ass and actually make something decent or so Intel can finally be beat for a while.

>So, are you going to upgrade to the i7 - 7700k Kaby Lake when it's released?
No, because my current CPU serves me more than fine. I'll wait for the next generation of supercomputers to be decommissioned so I can grab their used CPUs for cheap, though.

I'm using a 2600k and I'm thinking of getting a 6700k. I do a lot of 3D rendering. Is the 2600k still so good it's not worth the upgrade?

Nah, I have a 6700K

>kaby lake
>DRM: the processor

No

Why are there so many anti-semites on Sup Forums?

I'm buying two. It's the only way we can make up for the past.

>tfw the closest microcenter is almost 400 miles away

Huh interesting thank you,

And you think it will be competitive with the Kaby Lake?

Seems interesting at the least, I am all for competition in the market though. Intel being underwhelming is the main reason I have not upgraded my CPU in forever

Is that really a thing you can do? Are there actually sellers out there who sell those off at fair prices?

>Do I think it will be competitive with Kaby Lake
I don't know for sure if either one is going to be better or not.

I can't say for sure. They make it sound like it's going to be better but that me debatable or completely false or completely true.

There is no way to tell right now.

Do you have a bestbuy or frys or even a staples nearby who'll price check? They might if you're assertive enough.

2500k is still enough for me. i might upgrade when the power usage is at least 50% lower.

that's msrp, it will be 450 for about 5 months

the fuck is that table? since when 6700 is 4ghz base?
and 6950x 4ghz turbo? good luck maintaining it
also zen is pretty much confirmed 3.2 base for 8 cores

I was kind of thinking the same thing. In fact I checked and it said 3.5ghz turbo.

Also thanks for the info about Zen.

Quantum tunneling to my knowledge is an issue higher than 7nm, but the problem is insurmountable passed 7nm making 7nm the theoretical limit.

My guess is we will get to 10nm and then stunt and refine the 10nm process to a ludicrous degree before we move on to 7 if 7 is even an option at that point.

The decoders got a major upgrade, but besides that, 1-3% increase as usual with one work load that may show 20-50% in synthetics.

when intel stops dicking us on price, i think there will be less...

not a single motherboard was proven to be killed by the 480

it already went head to head with broadwell e for multicore, and if you extrapolate single core from 40% better then excavator that's more than good enough for gamers.

granted sandbridge single core with that good of multi core is all I want, if they put it out for sub 500$ and it exceeds my expectations that's all I need.

Its the headroom that 8 cores offers, is something that's not really benchtable. Individual tasks may suffer a bit, but you can do so much more before you feel the impact that it almost doesn't matter, Its the reason im waiting on zen apposed to just getting a 6 core, from what I can tell, this effect scales up to 8 cores with severe diminishing returns after that, also in dual cpu boards, some programs I use need a cpu turned off to perform well.

sandybridge doubled ipc, and intel has been draging their dick sense, wait for the 7000 series and zen before you pop one off, they are both coming out soon enough.

6600k masterrace reporting in.

with the current pace of performance increase I'll upgrade in ~8 years.

Nope. I'm going to sell my 6700K and upgrade to a Zen octa core.

the one thing we know, multithreaded it will beat intel's 4 core.

due to clock speeds, it may not beat the 6 core and if it does not by much.

clock equalized, it does match broadwell e, but that's bringing intel down to amd.

Likely this gen is going to be lower clocked, and zen+ is going to be a refined 14nm along with architectural improvements.

Amd should be caught up in low hanging fruit after this point.

That sounds about right.

single core its 4ghz 2 core its 3.9 4 core its 3.5 or something along that curve.

also just as a point of intrest for the 6950k

87% can hit 4.2 sustain
67% can hit 4.3 sustain
24% can hit 4.4 sustain

the 6700k 95% can hit 4.6

the 6900k 94% can hit 4.2

and the 6850k 97% can hit 4.2

this, although I paid more for the motherboard since it was brand new. maybe I'll upgrade to a E5 v2 when ebay gets flooded with them.

I'm keeping my 3570k @ 4,8ghz till it burns

have 6770K

how about no?

Is it Windows 10 only? If yes then no

Seems to be not much different from my 6700k so probably not

how can they make cpu working only on specific OSes?

They can't

so that user is full of shit?

i have an i7 870 @ 2.93 ghz

upgrade to i5 6600k a good idea right now?

By not writing chipset drivers for other OSs.

Yes I boot Linux on my 6700k all the time

inho it's not worth it. cpus are almost the same now

No, I only buy AMD. I would prefer something non-x86 though, that arch has to fucking die already.

what difference does it make?

>I only buy AMD
poojeet is working hard today
>something non-x86
x86 is the most performant currently arch

Why does it need to die? What has better performance?

>no new socket

Whoa Intel, maybe the jews are feeling a little bit generous.