What are some of your favourite programming/computing novels and textbooks?

What are some of your favourite programming/computing novels and textbooks?

Subjects:
- Languages
- Networking & Security
- Computer Engineering
- Logic & Arithmetic
- Hacking
- Fiction (i.e. cyberpunk)

Been reading pic related for learning C and it's pretty gud. Very brief and concise.

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-computation-and-programming-using-python-1
humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Thats it? lmao there are like 73 more books as important as those that you shoukd own, kid.

Anyway back to novels:

Hackers and painters
Masters of doom
Mythical man month

Also theres like a 280 pages pdf book floating around with nothing but John Carmack interviews from 1993-2002, really fun to read.

Also "programmers at work", not to be confused with "coders at work" wich is fucking shit.

Lol it's just a picture of one dude's book collection.

Why not list those 73 books, "kid"?

It sounds like you're gaming orientated.

oh i dont know, how about books about the process of actually designing/delivering/selling an actual piece of (at least) semi-successful commercial software instead of baby tier first year/second year cs degree wankery? from that collection only 1.3 books out of 13 are useful in the real world.

i like how people who collect these books think though, like a computer industry professional's life is a succession of monthly google interviews where if someone wakes you up at 4am and asks you programming stuff you can show him who's boss and recite how radix sort works , how to search shit in a trie, and the difference between SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_SEQPACKET.

also why are manholes round????? really makes you think....

ofcourse, because i dont do gamedev and i like reading entertaining literature about this golden age where there werent five major companies owning every game and/or game studio out there. also i played a lot of quake while learning how to computer so Carmack's stuff really hits home.

>your favourite programming/computing novels

There are computing novels?

>hackers and painters
paul graham is a fucking retard and so are you for spreading his filth

>literally cannot list any of the books that are allegedly so important

Did you come on here just to vent some rage because your mom burnt your nuggets?

Sorry, bad wording.

Here's more book compilation stuff.

>your mom burnt your nuggets?

>here, more books about algorithms

wow you got me good.

Other notables you should be reading include Kripke, Searle, and Goodman.

"no"

Feel free to be ignorant of the field then.

If you don't understand why Hilbert, Church and countless others were directly responding to theses made by Frege & co., or how these people have contributed to linguistics, maths, and logic, and how your field is a direct descendant of this work and results in one mean results in the other, then it's your loss.

You can lead a horse to water, I guess.

Lol dude, I'm literally just posting images that I've saved from Sup Forums so it at least puts some content in the thread.

As I said, if you have constructive opinions and your own books to recommend, then great. Otherwise, keep being an autistic little ragebunny. It's just as entertaining.

This is you flip burgers for a living.

as a complete beginner, what books would you guys recommend that wont go completely over my head

*why

mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-computation-and-programming-using-python-1

Okay bro.

Do you know which language you'll be going with?

>all these plebs ignoring the cornerstone

Mythical Man Month is the only one i've read

was pretty good desu

>Fiction (i.e. cyberpunk)
- Everything by Wm Gibson
- A few from Stirling and Shirley
- Snow Crash
- Altered Carbon
- A few pre-CP books like Tiger, Tiger

is there any way to get these books (or some of them) as .mobi for free
I read Code so far and while I didn't learn anything new it was pretty entertaining

ive used python a bit but i think ill be going with java since its so widely used

Eh, it's probably better to stick with Python. Don't get panicked about which language is widely used. By the time you'll learn one, another would've overtaken. Just learn what you're comfortable with. Java is also largely hated.

Getting Snow Crash this year for sure. Looks gr8.

You might want to start with Burning Chrome and then the Sprawl Trilogy to get the inspirations first. After all Wm G invented the word "Cyberspace".

humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle

>buying books about configuring bind on Sun Solaris v5.7

jesus christ user if you actually wanna learn loonix for $8 you can get a cheap chink shit vpn then proceed to burn through youtube/free online tutorials, after a year i can guarantee you're more fit for a sysadmin job than after reading this 1976 muh neckbeard nostalgia literature.

Why is the pragmatic programmer considered such a good book? I have read it but it was pretty dissappointing

>why was this book recommended by a bunch of sweaty uneducated unemployed weaboos so dissappointing?

Good question, let me think about it and I'll get back to you.

My bible as a kid.
Pretty sure it's still sitting around somewhere.

Describe the book and why it's one of your favourites, user.