Okay, I have some questions about video game programming

Okay, I have some questions about video game programming

How long would it take to learn enough to be competent and create a game like Metal Gear 2 for the MSX? Not MGS2, but the 2D game from the early 90s. Basically, it'd be a 2d stealth game with a top down viewpoint.

What languages should I learn? What software should I use? Also, I want to code it myself. My only experience in coding/programming is front-end web development, and a little back-end with PHP....

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/zXgCx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're never going to do it, don't fool yourself

Try gamemaker studio, java/c++, or something similiar. Gamemaker is probably the easiest, GML is fairly easy to learn.

And to make a game a similar to MG2 probably a couple of months depending on level of detail.

The hard part is not the coding but creating all the art assets.

Her name is Laura Kopel.

imgur.com/a/zXgCx

Why do you say that?

Thank you.. but she is such an attention seeking, vapid whore. Insta turnoff...

making your own engine is timesink dropout shit and doesn't ever work out.

you use a proper engine like unity or unreal. 2D games are memes when you have ortho cameras so you can have effectively dynamic "2D" made on the fly.

2D games are memes also because there's 1 success for every 10,000 miserable failures. nobody really gives a shit about games anymore, they just want to jerk off with other people online about characters. stealth is going to be asking way too much since they see the game as a second job they don't want anymore. if you don't make the game play itself, nobody's going to buy

It's a lot of work with no payoff beyond your own self-satisfaction. Better use of your time would be to write an Android/iOS app that you can possibly make some money on. Even better: go spend some time lurking on news.ycombinator.com to learn about what people who make money off of technology are working on and where they expect the money to flow in a few years, and starting working on something that you can make a living off.

too much ass

lolfag

>proper engine like unity

Opinion discarded.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

Use a proper engine like Gamemaker or some other shit. There's no reason to program your stuff from zero. Custom engines were made back then because everyone had a different view of what the hardware could do, or by limitations (consoles). Nowadays, custom engines are made to showcase some new technology (like Konami's Fox Engine) or to do something other engines have difficulty doing (or can't do at all).

For example, let's say someone discovers a way to render a 4D effect on a 2-dimensional space. Engines nowadays would be able to approximate this effect, but to do it properly, you'd need to either code your new engine from scratch, or use some other engine's tools to make an expansion to that engine.

Well I was going to sell the game on android...

Why? I've heard that Unity is good for both 2d and 3D games. Why is it bad?

Have a new girl. Pic related.

Unity is an untamed beast. You can make an awesome game, but you'd better be careful or that shit is gonna leak memory out of its ass. Something as simple as leaving a loaded object on a forgotten map can make your memory usage skyrocket in seconds.
It's good to make a game in, but it's better to make garbage in it too. I don't know if you're into that, but try to download some Unity demos, and count how many of them leak memory out of the ass. I once downloaded a simple platformer that cached all its assets at once (2GB), using a ton of memory even if not even 10% of the cached stuff was being shown on screen, or even on that stage!

So the problem is, Unity made easier to make games. But that also attracted the kind of coder that does shit like caching all his assets at once.

Even professional developers (like Blizzard) said they had problems working with Unity (I think Hearthstone is made in Unity).

Ahh fuck, I see where we got confused. I'm showing noobiness. I never meant to say that I was going to create my own engine from scratch... I always intended on using a different engine.

Well, you'd just need to learn the tool's own scripting engine (most of them have a scripting engine), grab some assets and go to town. Experiment.
There are websites that offer you free assets to use on your alpha (first phase of your project).

>C#

Gee, i wonder why.

pro tip: you want "comfyness" and simplicity while making a game, use unity. You want complexity and performance, use unreal.

Ahh, that sounds like a pain in the ass...

Don't talk shit about my Unity game! I drank many lattes while I was coding it!
I'M A CODE ARTISAN! CODE ARTISAN!
HWOOOOOOOOOOARGH!

Well, if you're really into it and want to experiment. Just create a small game. You don't need to create your dream game in the first go. Create a platformer where a some sort of animal is escaping from a predator. Make it 2 screens long. That's how you learn to do stuff.

Oh definitely. I was going to make a bunch of small games and learn how it works, before attempting the game I really want to do.

Winifer Fernández

>Well I was going to sell the game on android...
Go with Unity.

The consensus is Unity it seems.

Unity Personal seems like a fine option.. thats what I'll go with.

>count step every make
what's this supposed to mean?

I'm wondering this too.

Srsly? You're reading it backwards...

Make Every Step Count

Stream your progress of learning Unity and developing your game on Twitch. As your audience grows set up a Patreon and get people to fund you.

well who the fuck reads english from bottom to top, that poster is fucking stupid

Ireland pls go.

back in the day you use assembly.

You are literally retarded.

and make your game engine.
so, you're never going to make it.

Why did I thought about knife and pan...

Don't forget to watch Evaxephon's coding streams.

Fuck this girl, 99% of her snaps are just dumb and annoying but it's worth wading through them all to see the one in a hundred that's a snap of her one in million ass

it's a meme you dip

Unity is great if you already know how to program. C# isn't that hard to pick up. Gamemaker is if you wanna get stuff done and don't know how to program. Creating your own game engine and a level editor is a pain in the ass and is only good if you have an interest in making applications like that from scratch/wanna boost your programming skills. I know cause that's what I'm doing right now. If you do feel so inclined I'm using C++, DirectX9, and Qt for GUI. It has not been easy but worth a shot if you're a NEET like me or extremely dedicated. For the OP, your experience thus far tells me you won't be able to make a custom tool like that. It's not worth attempting at your level. Gamemaker or Unity is your best bet. It'll take a month or two to get real comfortable with Unity so that you start making stuff at a good pace. No idea about gamemaker but from the last game jam I was in it seems like people with no knowledge of programming got quite a bit done in hardly any time at all.

But you're wrong. Making a full fledged game is enough to put on a resume.

And literally no employer will hire you for it. They might even think that you're gonna ask for more money than the other candidates and discard you.

how about if it's directly relevant to the job? Will they also not hire you then?

Uhhh, why did you post a picture of yourself...

butthurt neet making up lies. any company will accept a game as coding experience.

>count step every make
huh?

oh, wait

Amateur hour _''''Game Devs''''_ just squat over the engine as if it's an open sewer and hope a Picasso pops out on the other side. They don't know shit about optimising anything, not the code and not the assets.

OH MY GOD MY SIDES!

>My only good feature is my fat ass

>Count step every make
???

She's basically the girl version of a dude that flexes non stop 24/7

How can you possibly like that? Just seems so vain.