/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Python programming language edition

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness
bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Etcher/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not using proprietary software
>using """""""libre""""""" crapware
>not knowing the feeling of actually getting shit done
How can anybody be this delusional?

daily reminder that whatever you do in python is not programming.
please do not call it that. fun, simplicity, readability, suitability for your personal scenario and other buzzwords you choose to use aren't a qualifier for being a programming language
thanks!

who are you quoting?

>falling for the KevinNet meme
>not giving a beautiful, compatible, and amazing distro a chance because of KDE shills on Sup Forums
What did they mean by this?

>that piece of shite
>gorgeous
What did he mean by this?

>What did they mean by this?
>What did he mean by this?
What did they mean by this?

Seriously I have no idea what the fuck you memekiddies are even talking about

*opens notepad++*
*starts """"""""""""programming"""""""""""" in python*
Sounds like a good plan
I'm using Arch if it matters.

How can i write iso-s to usb drive without dd? CLI tools would be cool as dd always fucks up everything.

kde still looks like shit

rice is the only thing linux is good for

But dd works. What do you want?

Seriously though, what happened with Solus?
I was on here a week ago and there were nothing but Kevin and KevinNet threads for days.
Was the KevinNet thing just a meme, or was there actually some malicious shit found in Solus?

Comfy and quick distro hopping. I hate writing discs.

daily reminder that arch is a bloated and broken piece of crap

I installed Arch and created a /boot partition but now (for no reason at all maybe learning a bit) I want to remove it. How does one do that without breaking everything?

won't stop me from using it but k

so what's the better alternative?

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

not responding to obvious bait

Found the guy who couldn't install arch.

Debian unstable.

Windows 10.

The Pajeets are out in full force today.

see see

I blame spillover from Sup Forumseddit

spending a saturday afternoon git bisecting a year old mesa
such is life with GNU/Linux

i see your open borders policy has worked out really well

>>>/loo/

post your ps1

>\[\033]0;\u@\h:\w\007\]\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]
Guess my distro

install gentoo

Im pretty new to linux and im picking stuff up fast but I just can't into ricing.

How did this user make OS X with default quartz and aqua look not shit?

Should I just lurk more?

PS1='C:$(pwd | sed "s:/:\\\\\\\:g")> '

May I ask how did you came to a conclusion that a thread dedication to operating system derived from Linux is an appropriate place to ask "how do I rice OSX"?

Looks pretty shit tbqh.
>OS X

I tried it. It's fun.

>>osx
Pretty shit, but not what im getting at

Im confused as to how he managed to make a de and a wm with no flexibility look like that.

see

looks like shit
even default settings on some des look better than this crap
try again

Heya.

So I'm using Xubuntu and one day I decided to watch anime from my laptop hooked up to my big screen in my living room using an HDMI.

The next day, I log in and after I put my password in, the screen blacks out past the login screen. It clearly thinks that the big screen is still its display I take it. I hooked it back up to the TV and the same result happened.

So how do I unfuck my laptop? The only way to use it now is by logging in via guest. I need my files from my main account. How do I fix the display..?

use a better distro next time.
at least you learned something valuable.

>anime
found your problem

>anniemay
found ur problem

try windows key + p

Guys does anyone has experience with fibre channel scsi targets.
Im trying to setup one in local network but I can't find any specific tutorial for scsi and qla2xxx.
Everywhere iscsi tutorials.

What are some of the best, nonbiased tech websites, and some of the best relating to open-source software and linux in general?

I personally use the Linux subreddit and my distro's subreddit. Don't let the meanies here discourage you from using the site. Just ignore them.

omgubuntu.co.uk/

hackernews, also open source sucks

normie here, wanna start self-teaching coding, is python a good start or should go with c++
>inb4 kys

Thought it was based on linux kernel.

Im wrong.

Ill lurk more.

Nice digits.

First off, one thing your should know: The only good programming language is C. That's all you need to know. Python has a low learning curve but is also slow and bloated.

If I want to start messing around with the volume of individual channels of an audio stream in a video file, should I use a gui video editor or could this be accomplished in command line?

Depends on what you wanna do.
If you're interested in programming avoid Python.
C++ is fine if you're interested in programming.

This. Also I would like to add that Python isn't really a programming language.

It actually is. Even BASH is. Everything that passes the turing test is a programming language.

you're confusing turing test with turing completness, but yeah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

what's the best gnu program out there?

Is it a good idea to use perl or python instead of shell scripts? After going a bit deeper into POSIX compatibility and the horrors of never knowing if something works on the other system, I'm thinking about to drop shell scripts.

easy one

I'm trying to install linux alongside windows 10 but every time I boot up the live cd my cursor is invisible. There's a cursor however it is stuck in the top left corner I'm able to click things but i can't see what I'm clicking. I've now had this issue with both Antergos 64 bit live iso and Xubuntu 64 bit live iso. I just want to go back to Linux but this is driving me fucking crazy. I've tried removing and reconnecting but still nothin. I can almost make it through the setup with an invisible cursor but it's pretty tricky. Any ideas

gdb
its becoming shittier by the year

Etcher
bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Etcher/view

Press cntrl alt F1 and issue startx

can someone give me a brief into to bsd
i'm so fucking sick of every single distro being completely fucking worthless and there's no way i'm going back to windows

Consider all the bad things you found in each distro. Then cram it together and you get *BSD

Is the lad who was struggling with dual booting arch and windows and getting wifi working here?
Did you figure it out?

it's almost 2017 and arch has a better installer than debian
what a topsy turvy world we're living in

>Daily reminder that a programming language thats easily accessible encroaches on my delusions of elitism.
Dude, I bet you program in java and somehow justify the black man banging your girlfriend by saying you manipulated the two into doing so.

>a python """"""programmer"""""" uses meaningless words like elitism to justify his retardation and inability to accept that what he does isn't programming
feels shit to be you
>program
>in java
theres no such thing.
>black man
there aren't any negroes in my country

He's baiting, don't reply

>waaah anyone who disagrees with me and presents the truth is baiting!!!
sure thing, kiddo
stay delusional.

ok kid

sure thing, "bro"

HTML Programmer reporting in

What editor do you recommend for programming in python?

HTML is a Markup language, it's name even suggests that

any you fancy. vim or emacs, gedit if you like that.

>and somehow justify the black man banging your girlfriend by saying you manipulated the two into doing so.
There was a guy in /vg/'s wow guild who genuinely believed this was the case

does a GNU/Linux system make a better server OS, in comparison to a *BSD? i was thinking that the jails & more consistant code of the BSDs would make it better, but i've been hearing otherwise in reguards to ports & third party software. someone mind filling me in?

Changing system preferences modifies a preferences file and instantly applies those settings.
If I modify the preferences file by hand, I have to kill the process using those settings before they're applied. Using the UI doesn't do this.
How can I get those preferences to reload, without killing the process, manually?

Shell script is a legit program.
It's a set of instructions you input into a machine so it can perform an expected task.

If the author of the software did not anticipate and put a command that reloads the configuration file of the software the only way to reload it is to restart the software.

You'd think that's basic logic wouldn't you.

Wouldn't following that same line of logic imply that using a browser to check facebook would also be programming. You'd just be issuing a set of instructions for the computer to perform a given task.

Programming is a process that leads from the formulation of a problem you want to solve to creating an executable program.

Writing a shell script to solve a problem fits this definition and results in an executable shell script.

Using a browser to check facebook does not fit the definition.

Really wish you autistic faggots would stop responding to this programming troll and stay on topic.

But you haven't created an executable. The executable is the python interpreter, it's the same binary file before you made your python script as it is after. The binary code is no differet, and you haven't created any new binary code.

>>>/twitter/

>Programming is a process that leads from the formulation of a problem you want to solve to creating an executable program

So using REPL would not be programming under your definition, correct?

>But you haven't created an executable
The word executable in this context was an adjective not a noun friend.

Why?

You would not be making an executable script.

>using a browser to check facebook would also be programming
Actually yes. A human is intelligent and intelligence is the result of many different causalities, which is a form of programming, even if chaotic.

hey Sup Forums, what is the best music player

clementine

hey Sup Forums, what is the best colour

foobar

anyone who says something else is licherally retarded

Guys, check out this cuck. Instead of controling the program, the program controls him, KEK