Z170 vs X99

Z170 or X99?

my needs are:
>adobe suite (after effects, indesign, photoshop, illustrator)
>cinema 4d
>heavy gaming
>audio production&recording
So i need something stable and with a lot of power, im thinking x99 should be more future proof but i have no fucking clue.
Advice?

Im torn between those two:

>caseking.de/save-cart/9c5595b8c81584b07f99

vs

caseking.de/save-cart/ad10103ac3fbd223e8f8

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-5.html
caseking.de/search?sSearch=6850
caseking.de/search?sSearch=6800
cpu.userbenchmark.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anyone?

X99 has more PCIe lanes for 6 graphics cards
X99 has better processors for 2-4x the price of LGA-1151 CPUs
X99 has quad channel ram
If you don't give a fuck, get Z170 and a 6700k or 6600k

Keep in mind, Kabylake with Z270 motherboards AND Skylake-X + Kabylake-X with X299 motherboards are all launching in the next few months.

Z270 is expected to launch in January. X299 Sometime in the later half of 2017.

"Future proof" is a meme.

Nothing is future proof.

Keep in mind, Kaby lake is the last generation on LGA-1151 and will work with Z170

Are you going to earn money with the system? Also none of them is future proof. X99 might "survive" somewhat longer in general, but upgrade wise it's a dead end. Z170 will get a new gen. with minor improvements.

Considering that you intend to use Cinema 4D I would go for moar cores aka X99, Photoshop won't benefit a lot. Only Stuff like AE and Premiere gain heavily especially when finalizing/rendering.

It will likely perform worse in "heavy gaming" as stock clocks are lower and Broadwell-E overclocking is rather trash.

why would they change chipsets when they aren't even changing sockets?

kabylake will still be lga1151

>6 graphics cards

why?

Because you need X99 for gaymen obvi, z170s not hardcoar enough

The real kicker is that ITX X99 boards exist

I haven't seen anything to suggest z270 mobs will be an upgrade over z170 for gaming. Now the X299 maybe. Still a good CPU with unlocked cores probably wont be available at launch for either of them.

> intel

I'm running a 5930k. Got an X99 motherboard through EVGA's lifetime warranty when my X58 tanked, and figured hell why not. More cooling is required, but isn't a huge issue. Don't think your going to get away with a litte 120mm AIO solution. But, to be honest. If it were not for me getting the motherboard kinda free, I wouldn't have gone this route. The CPU costs a small fortune compared to a i7 6700k.

>muh optane diskram

Why the 5930K though and not 5820K+OC? Do you need the additional PCIe lanes?

99% of the time they just bought it cause it was "better" without realizing the 5820k is identical silicon and they OC to the same level.

99% of the time people like you are massive faggits with zero friends

would it be wiser to wait? my current pc can't be used for heavier after effect, cinema 4d or ableton sessions.
need a good working machine and im not sure if it would be better to wait it out, how would the performance be compared to those 2 builds in OP? My work isn't hardware related so i don't really know. I've been only researching recently.

OP here.
Im working in marketing and graphics, so yeah it would be for work related stuff and private projects. Im also a hobby music producer and gamer

Anyone that knows how much of improvement that they are probably going to get based on speculation?

Just wait for Z270.
Based on what you say that you need I highly doubt that you are going to need a x99 build.

Up yours.
I'm here playing Ashes of Singularity on my eMachine, and you're throwing shade?

From what i've read the x99 would be better implemented in video editing and cinema 4d but wouldn't be so good for gaming. What about ableton thou?

>Intel® Mac with Mac OS X 10.7 or later, or PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8; Multicore processor; 4 GB RAM

So i'd say the 6850k would be perfect for work in adobe suite, cinema 4d and making music in ableton. But (supposedly) would be a bit worse for games than the 6700k on Z170.
So why should i wait for the Z270 instead?

At my previous employment i had a company computer, currently i work somewhere else and i need a workstation for home
My current PC can't handle any heavier after effects, cinema 4d or ableton projects. I need a new computer ASAP because i cannot efficiently work on my projects and that's not really optimal.

The computer im using now was build ages ago for budget gaming and i've been using it for making music, for which it's also too slow.

I took a look at:
>tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-5.html
But im still not sure if i should go for 6850k or 6700k. In some things they score pretty similar, in others they scores have a high difference.

So please convince me why i should wait for the Z270, as i need a computer right now.

Now my question again, the 6850k on x99 or the 6700k on Z170? Or is the kabylake and Z270 so much better that it's better to suffer through slow working and crashes under load, that my current computer experiences?

>which one would be better for work and music production related stuff(adobe suite, cinema 4d and ableton)
>which one would be better for games
>which one would be more efficient for both gaming and work?

Why do you keep mentioning the 6850k?

6800k is way cheaper and identical performance. Unless you need the extra PCIe lanes it's just a waste of money to buy the 6850k.

Also, for gaming performance the 5820k and 6800k basically get identical single core performance as the stock 6700k once you OC the 5820k/6800k so they're still perfectly fine gaming CPUs.

Like user said 6800k and 6850k is pretty much the same thing.
You don't need those extra ghz. Save up what you save by buying a 6800k and overclock your system.
The conclusion is pretty much this:
Build a x99 build, and buy yourself the 6800k to go with your build.

For gaming 6700k is better since it has a base clock of 4.0 ghz but really through you won't fell a big difference in the FPS drop if you compare 6700k and 6800k

X99.

>6800K
There's absolutely zero reason to get a 6800K. The 5820K is identical. Fucking identical except in the price. The only thing it doesn't have is the dumb "Turbo Boost 3.0" bullshit technology which does basically nothing. Hell, the 5820K has a bigger dye so it's easier to cool and can be easier overclocked. I'd even say that the 5820K is better than the 6800K.

thanks!

I've kept mentioning the 6850 because it was still in my price range.
I've never built a computer besides that super old budget gaming pc im currently on, and i've had a work computer belonging to my company for the past few years so i haven't been really doing much research on hardware untill recently.

That pretty much explained everything i wanted to know. Needless to say i also have never overclocked a computer (two of the latest workstations i've been working on were overclocked thou), but i was also planning to overclock after getting the new parts.
Got any tips?

Also, having both the 6800k and 6850k in my price range - should i still stick with the 6800k?
And the shop im buying my parts at has both of those in standard and also pretested up to 4.4GHz.
Would be wiser to buy the pretested version?

>caseking.de/search?sSearch=6850

>caseking.de/search?sSearch=6800

>Also, having both the 6800k and 6850k in my price range - should i still stick with the 6800k?
Yes, when we said they were identical we weren't kidding.

They are literally the same exact CPU, one just has more PCIe lanes, which if you aren't running dual GPUs and giant RAID arrays, wont matter for you.

And as this user said the 5820k is actually a better deal because it can be found for ~$310, at least at microcenter.

But either way, 5820k or 6800k, OC'ing is pretty damn easy. Up your voltage to ~1.25-1.30v Increase your multiplier from the stock to anywhere from 40-45 (4-4.5GHz)
Lower multiplier the lower your voltage will have to be.

A "safe" OC would be 4.2GHz 1.275v, the majority of CPUs should manage those clocks

>Paying 200€ more for the 6800K when the 5820K performs identically to the 6800K, especially when overclocked
Please for the love of fuck check out the numbers on those two processors and you'll see that it performs fucking identical. Don't pay more for a debatably worse CPU just because the rabbis at Intel increased the product name number on the box.

Holy shit those prices are even higher then here in the north.

Well I would say go for the 6800k.
6850k is mostly just a slightly better CPU, but if you ask me it serves no point. Just buy the 6800k I promise you won't regret it.
I will also say that you should always buy the standard version.
Lastly for overclocking just have look around some guides on some Tech Youtubers they will teach you it step by step.

Stop riding on a old horse.
user I understand that there is some parts you should not really give a shit about of what generation it may belong to, but now your fucking CPU.

Tell me what's the actual FUNCTIONAL differences between them?

Nothing.

The 6800K has a smaller dye which essentially means it is harder to overclock. It also has Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 which, if you do your research, does pretty much zero. If you overclock it, it will do zero because you usually disable turbo boost when overclocking.

The 5820K is easier to overclocks. Performs as well if not better. Just see some benchmarks of it and you'll see that while the 6800K outperforms it on stock speeds, when overclocked the 5820K performs better than the 6800K.

Thanks!

>They are literally the same exact CPU, one just has more PCIe lanes, which if you aren't running dual GPUs and giant RAID arrays, wont matter for you.

I want to run a 2x SLI with ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX O8G Gaming.
Starting only with
>Samsung 960 PRO NVMe SSD, PCIe 3.0 M.2 Typ 2280 - 512 GB
>Samsung 850 EVO Series 2,5 Zoll SSD, SATA 6G - 1 TB

But i will be going into RAID in near future as i need separate secure backups for work/private projects/music projects.

Thanks!

So, are you saying theres no point to stick with the 5820K?

I mostly compared them CPUs at
cpu.userbenchmark.com/

And i will now probably stick with the 6800k although i might go with 6850k depending on my budget at the end.

>although i might go with 6850k depending on my budget at the end
For the love of good stop, it's the SAME CPU for CPU tasks. The ONLY difference is the PCIe lanes, which are EXTERNAL DEVICE LANES, wifi cards, RAID controllers, GPUs, etc. Unless you are using more than 36 PCIe lanes (which hint, you're not) the 6850k is literally $200 more for NOTHING.

Save your money or spend it on more hard drives or something, just don't throw it away because hey, 6850 is bigger than 6800.

This

5820k, 6800k, or 6700k.

You shouldnt be looking at anything else regardless of your budget.

If you're running Sli/Crossfire and using NVME SSD's then get X99.