Do you follow news Sup Forums?

Do you follow news Sup Forums?
With the recent trend of fake news, sponsored content/articles, sourceless shit like tweets/facebook posts with lots of likes/traction that legitimate news outlets quote that suddenly becomes credible, all sorts of ________gates, journalism is at its worst.

In an era in which you don't know who to even believe, not believing anyone about anything seems to be the best course of action

It's not that hard to navigate if you think about what's being said in the article and the motivations of who is posting it.

The "fake news" problem isn't the problem at all - the problem is that so many people don't want to have to do any thinking at all about what they read and watch. And as long as they have that attitude they can be easily deceived, the only question is by whom.

I sort of average things out by following news from numerous sources. ABC, FOX, RT, and a few others, provide me with enough clues to where the truth lies. So far, I'm gathering that fake news is a boogey man created by the media as an excuse for being SOOOOO wrong about the election.

Literally all of news is fake.

If you want to find something out that you've seen reported, contact the original source.

I'm being fucking serious, I know it sounds autistic but I have filed Freedom of Information requests for Crime before. No memes.

>Do you follow news Sup Forums?

No.

>Do you follow news Sup Forums?

Fuck no. If God wanted me to know what was happening outside my house he would have made me omniscient.

lmfao

The irony. Oh the irony.

since their creation, news had been conviniently distorted to fit someone's narrative. there's nothing new here.

MSM denouncing "fake news" is most probably crying over new media with different interests.

>With the recent trend of fake news,
>recent
news is always full of half truths, convenient interpretations, or misleading headlines and opinion pieces disguised as truth.

>I'm gathering that fake news is a boogey man created by the media as an excuse for being SOOOOO wrong about the election.

I don't think so, the only mentions by the media that I have seen about fake news was within the context that people on both sides of the political spectrum believe these "news" because they want them to be true, and that is a real problem for society.

Personally however I feel that it is a personal responsibility issue here, today you have access to hundreds of sources of information, sometimes, the first hand accounts documented accounts like video or audio, in which case you can just watch it. It's not societies fault that people want to believe bullshit because it appeals to them. I have friends who are telling me "news" all the time, I am always the guy who says "that doesn't sound right, where did you hear that? Oh facebook? It's probably not true" and of course they get pissed, probably because I said it wasn't true when I should have kept my mouth shut but because I questioned their intelligence that they can tell the truth from fiction when they obviously can't.

The time alone that it would take to parse information and other bullshit required to go through FOIA requests, makes your point a non starter, most people want to be spoonfed their favorite goo.

So true.

I generally hear news from different sources, NBC, PBS, NPR, BBC. When you converge all three, you get something close enough to know what's going on. Complex stuff like Muslim relations in the middle east I can't even, and just ignore it.

There's a difference between variously slanted coverage of actual events by professional reporters, and the propagation of outright falsehoods from Internet crackpots and clickbaiters.

The fact that social media has blurred the line between the two is what has everyone alarmed.

The entire reason that journalists exist is to gather and report the information that everyone else is too busy to do themselves. That is literally their job. They are a vital part of an informed society.

There is no difference between heavily slanted news that purposely omits information and downright falsehood from a crackpot.

In both cases you're being misinformed on the true nature of what happened.

What's funny to me is how the MSM started to run their campaign against "fake news" in unison trying to reclaim their influence. They want to desperately define themselves as "real news" and their opposition as fake. Except they're doing it in such a unified and aggressive way that I doubt people will take them seriously.

>In both cases you're being misinformed on the true nature of what happened.

No because facts are facts, you don't have to take the interpretation that is being given to you of those facts, most people believe the narrative they're given.

Anyone who uses the expression "MSM" or mainstream media has outed themselves as a conspiracy theorist who believes nothing regardless of evidence.

>conspiracy
yes, you can trust everyone with influence, noone ever abuses it.

reminder that obama made propaganda towards their own citizens legal just a few years ago.

>reminder that obama made propaganda towards their own citizens legal just a few years ago.

Propaganda towards US own citizens has been legal since there has been a US constitution has been a thing.

there was an anti-propaganda law that they got rid of.

Any such law, sounds to me, unconstitutional and as such it is a good thing that it was done away with.

Although, tis funny you say Obama made, when Obama has no legislative powers at all, so obviously if such a thing happen it would have been done by congress.

Really makes you think

Yes. I don't believe something is true because people I don't like believe it.

Stop criticizing the mainstream media.

Pure coincidence

>Stop criticizing the mainstream media.

The fuck are you smokin dude, news outlets talk about the stories of the day they don't dig out stories out of thin air, when they do they're usually advertising disguised as news, think "feel good" stories.

The facts reported are rarely ever wrong when the info has been confirmed and it is all over these outlets, what you can and might disagree with is the reading of those very same facts. If you really think it is bad today you should look into the past and see how it was prevalent the amount of truly fake stories in the past about things that never happened in order to push certain views, and you don't have shit like that happening today like they happened 150 years ago.

>Insane little conspiracy theorists who write articles on their WordPress blog about jet fuel and steel beams is totally much more of an issue than a sophisticated narrative pushed out by the 3 major news networks so subtly that most people are tricked into either believing the explicit or subconsciously the implicit
Propaganda tends not to work if you know it's propaganda.

How do we stop police from indiscriminately targeting innocent, unarmed black males?

you dont understand how propaganda works do you.

do you have an argument or are you just going to make personal attacks against me?

good propaganda is almost always based around the truth,
and unless they are very desperate (see the election) its rarely complete bullshit.

>good propaganda is almost always based around the truth,
>and unless they are very desperate (see the election) its rarely complete bullshit.

You seem to be using the word propaganda very broadly, the way you're using it, everything is propaganda. What most people would call propaganda are news/stories that are loosely based on reality, where one word or sentence is taken out of its context and used to push a point of view, like election ads generally are, most people would call them propaganda. When presented with equal sets of facts despite narrative, a crowd of people will come out with a "snowflake" narratives on those very same facts, I would use that as a argument against the claim that major news outlets are in fact pushing propaganda because if they were, they do a terrible job at it and none of them actually hide reality.

Since you bring up the election, I assume you're talking about the fact that everyone got it wrong about the results. The thing that everyone got wrong about the polls was the simple fact that you don't know if people will come out to vote or not until they do, no amount of polling can tell you that.

terry pls go

>his OS doesn't allow him to talk to god