Why do you think Women don't enter stem fields?

Why do you think Women don't enter stem fields?

There's no barrier to entry, so obviously they just don't care.
I see no need to force them to. Give it time and things might balance out. Change doesn't happen in one generation.

pretty sure the chick on the right is mtf, check out those shoulders

Fucking hell, this post and these attitudes are why sociology classes should be mandatory for STEM degrees.

It amazes me how people who are clearly intelligent can fail to grasp even the basics of sociological fields. topkek

Nerdy autists they don't want to fuck.

Its the Patriarchy gurl.

why do you think this is technology related

Same reason there isn't men in women dominated fields, different intrests. Simple as that innit.

Senpai, I took one class for a GE and there is zero critical thought going on, and everyone just sheepishly agrees with whatever is being implied with the professor, or whatever seems ``mainstream'' at the moment.

It's painfully obvious that sociology classes are only taken to fulfill shitty requirements.
Go die in a fire.

1. Boredom.
2. Lacking will to invest oneself
3. Lacking will to sacrifice social life for 16 hours of studying to compete with STEM autists
4. Didn't like math and/or physics in high school and thus don't like STEM
5. Spoiled brats with weak mental fortitude who easily give up on things, as easy as just throwing a few words at them
6. Have social benefits and are secured by Western governments to a level where they deem that the effort required for STEM is not worth the projected revenue compared to leeching off of being a 1st worlder

Only whites can be racist.

>muh humanities

Hahahaha, they don't even understand how the word 'Patriarchy' is used in modern sociology.

lmao, >implying your 'intro to sociology' course is representative of sociology classes as a whole
kek, why didn't you just take an interesting, engaging class instead?

sociology classes won't fix the droves of passionless dullards invading STEM fields at the moment

just let them get their comeuppance when they eventually realize that they're going to spend their lives as pajeet-tier code monkeys if anyone will even hire their entitled asses at all

I'm interested in how it is used outside of academia and it is literally a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory.

They don't want to.
Just like they want equality, but don't want to act like equals. They get careers, but don't want men who have no career. So their kids get raised in daycare or by nannies and televisions.

As someone who's studied both sociology AND physics... No. I'd even go as far as to say sociology can be completely removed from universities everywhere and the world would be better for it.

>white feminist womyn whining about patriarchy
>ask her when she's gonna give back the fur, jewelry, precious metals, diamonds, furniture, makeup, and all her belongings that were passed down or source from exploitation of colonies, since well over 50% of resources went into the hands of privileged white women
>suddenly a quiet room

White crackers at least faced death and war in colonies to steal all those resources.
White women just had to wait and get everything handed on a platter for centuries.
Now these same bitches be talking about privilege. Even the dirtiest shit-stained mirror will reveal their own privilege.

>interesting and engaging
>sociology
pick one

>I'm only interested in what people who aren't experts on the subject have to think about it
You sound fucking stupid when you say shit like this.

>Implying the philosophy of science isn't incredibly important and still relevant
>Implying science doesn't benefit from sociology
It's like you're actually trying to sound like a troglodyte senpai

>I haven't actually looked into sociology extensively but I'm still gonna say it's not engaging

racism, sexism, cisism, misogynism, white supremism, homophobia, germophobia, arachnophobia

Wow, academic shorthand that you don't understand sure sounds silly when taken out of context huh?

academia basically doesn't matter when you have feminist telling men it's misogyny to spread there legs a bit wider than a woman would on a train.

sociology is the least objective of sciences and it justifies this by using relativism and subjectivity. The truth doesn't matter to theses people, also google the science wars.

>academia basically doesn't matter when I bring up ridiculous liberal feminist strawmen who really don't have much to do with feminist activism
He really thinks this lmaooooo

You wouldn't have the concept of 'objectivity' if it weren't for sociology. Also 'relativism' and 'subjectivity' don't mean what you think they mean. You're thinking of subjective idealism, not relativism.

philosophy of science isn't sociology, nor is it relevant to science
there's no intersection between sociology and science except for the occassional use of statistics.

My mom was a math major in the 70s (yes, I am old). She told me she never felt any discrimination towards her at all. If she could do it 40 years ago, I don't know what the fuck is stopping women nowadays. The door is wide open, and if women want to step through it they will be greatly rewarded.

Do you think social norms are what's stopping men from becoming kindergarten teachers? It may be a bit of a chilling effect on the margins, but c'mon let's be honest, most men just aren't interested in that kind of work.

I mean there's quite a bit of overlap between the philosophy of science and sociology, especially w.r.t. scientific epistemology and ontology.

Also, the use of statistics is a pretty big overlap to be dismissing outright family.

>Do you think social norms are what's stopping men from becoming kindergarten teachers?
>let's be honest, most men just aren't interested in that kind of work.
wowowowow do you think that could be because of internalized social norms? lmao

No interest, and there shouldn't be any problem with it, not everything has to be 50/50.

>wowowowow do you think that could be because of internalized social norms? lmao

Yes but whose responsibility is it to change that. In politics the white male is obligated with everything. Its just white man's burden again. There is no objectivity to a word like racism, its use in politics is clearly pernicious.

also recommend some books or stfu

they do. fuck off to Sup Forums. majority of my university chem department were females.

Because they don't fucking want to...stop trying to make bitches do shit they aren't interested in asshole.

Are you the boss of women? Is it your job to tell them what to do shit head?

No? Then shut the fuck up. If women do not want to do stem that's their fucking choice. You don't get to make anyone do shit.

Who doesn't use statistics, though? If you have numbers, you use statistics. However, a LARGE number of sociological studies are qualitative, not quantitative. Of course, you can transform your data in such a way you can try to create some interesting predictive models (not that this happens in sociology), but the problem with THAT is that when your data is garbage, your models are garbage.
I get the impression that you're trying to mess with the people in this thread, but in case you aren't, I'm really sorry you wasted all that time and money on a degree in opinions, user.

Usually boring af if you don't like it and if you like it you are usually narrowminded.

>Do you think social norms are what's stopping men from becoming kindergarten teachers?

It's not the social norms that stops you, it's how individuals react to you. I've worked in school systems and after-school programs at various grade levels, and I had some serious issues with girls being overly flirtatious (writing erotic fiction about me, hitting on me directly, etc.) It's not normal, but it happens regardless and it can get you in a lot of trouble if you don't handle it properly. It's also pretty difficult to shut it down since you're working with people who are, frankly, too immature.

I imagine in a more professional environment like your mom was in may have been different since you can simply say you're not interested like an adult and be fine, but some people just can't handle that sort of attention.

I had a point somewhere, I think. My daughter got stuck in a box and derailed my train of thought.

>I'm a fucking loser
>there are females who have tenure, field medals, publish papers
>here is some bait so i don't an hero because of my overwhelming inferiority complex and sense of failure

Literally nobody (except maybe some radfems) is saying that only white men are responsible for changing gendered social norms.

>recommend some books or stfu
I haven't really looked into many books about gender norms specifically. A quick google scholar search or wikipedia could help you find info on the subject tho :^)

>I'm really sorry you wasted all that time and money on a degree in opinions, user.
A sociology degree actually isn't a bad idea if you want to get an actual job senpai. With the STEM job market being flooded with people who have CS degrees you have to stand out somehow. Besides, a CS degree won't help you much at most jobs you're likely to get anyways.

The numbers disagree. Intuition leads me to believe your university chemistry department is either (a) in Canada or California, (b) dominated by SJWs, or (c) part of a highly-ranked university where there are more women because smart women tend to be interested in STEM (and due to a mixture of favoring female applicants over male applicants, and women outperforming men in highschool, they got into STEM easier).

choosing a job is just as much a personal decision as a social one. choosing a career is on of the biggest decisions that non-retards actually spend time preparing for and thinking about. most of the people in the world just get by with whatever they can get; in america most people (non-retards) can do whatever the fuck they want. men can be kindergarten teachers and women can be marines if that is what they choose.

>A sociology degree actually isn't a bad idea if you want to get an actual job senpai. With the STEM job market being flooded with people who have CS degrees you have to stand out somehow.
Confirmed troll. If STEM fields are oversaturated, then social sciences are flooded.

>
your Sup Forums mind tricks don't work here fagot. none of the above is true.

I think the important question is why the hell does this matter? So long as there are no barriers to entry for women to enter STEM fields, if they still choose not to sign up in significant numbers, what harm is done to STEM overall? Are we denied of a unique perspective? How different is the female mindset from the male mindset, and in what way do these differences uniquely benefit STEM that we in STEM fields should go out of our way to recruit women who have otherwise weighed the pros and cons of studying this field and decided against it? Furthermore, how does this benefit women? STEM isn't exactly the easiest of fields -- many men struggle with it as well. It's also not the most rewarding unless one decides to go all the way into graduate school (where one can be qualified to do ACTUAL research), in which case, one is losing a lot of time. I happen to know of a woman who was originally considering Medical school, who even had the brains for it, but who changed her mind upon realizing how much of her youth would be spent studying.

It LITERALLY says on my school's website that young women in particular are encouraged to apply.

i'm not a woman but i've been working in engineering for about 6 years. it's not a friendly industry for women. girls still aren't encouraged go to into the field. things are changing slowly.

You're delusional if you don't think tech companies are specifically looking for socially-aware developers.

>worked in school systems
>some serious issues

so that's why they fired you.

Sup Forums - """Technology"""