/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 16 GiB Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8020A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B01HNBLHAA
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NP7mFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/LHpfFd
ncixus.com/products/?sku=134396
pcpartpicker.com/list/77hhD3
pcpartpicker.com/list/7szqBP
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MfYMTH
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=a8&page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>DOOM™ only uses 2 GiB of RAM
ayyy

You guys have any success on Craigslist? I was looking for a cheap c2d $50 - 70 system to run my plex server this weekend but locally there's nothing here. There's some for that price on ebay but plus shipping is damn near $100. At that price point, I can almost build a new Celeron 1151 system and not be caged into a shitty Optiplex case. Thoughts?

>only supporting at most 2 720 transcodes
>want expandability for more hard drives down the line

Yeah just start over. Buying shit that old is not advisable and you are definitely paying a premium due to its scarcity. $200 gets you what you want brand new (Celeron build) and you get the satisfaction of knowing it's not going to just shit out on you for no reason anytime soon.

is it worth waiting till the m.2 nvme ssd become cheaper? Im still using a 10000rpm velociraptor for my main os and i was looking into ssdrives but since my mobo already has the m.2 slots and seeing how much faster than regular ssd they are i was wondering howmuch real life improvement i would get.

The jump just from HDD to SATA SSD alone will be well worth it. NVME m.2 is like 4x faster (in theory) than the typical 2.5" SATA SSDs that are selling today but I'm not sure how much that translates to "real world" user experience relative to just how much faster it feels to have your OS finally not tied down to a spinning mechanical disk.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to run your OS on a SATA SSD coming from being used to an HDD (even a "fast" one) if that makes any sense, having said that, m.2 is obviously superior, just more costly.

If I'm going to spring for the 6700K and a 1080 is 3200 speed ram worth it if my board supports it?

It will have so little impact vs even 2400 MHz RAM that it's almost not worth mentioning. Faster the better though, so if you can afford it, go for it. They're usually close enough in price that there's no reason to get slower RAM.

>theyre usually close enough in price that there's no reason to get slower RAM

but if theyre close enough in performance why is there any reason to buy more expensive RAM?

DDR4 prices are all over the map. You can probably find DDR4 3000 on sale right fucking now that's cheaper than some DDR4 2133 that's just as good/reliable, whatever. The point is there is practically no difference in price, so obviously go with the one that is objectively better, even if it is not easily measurable it will obviously have an impact on performance in just about everything.

amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8020A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B01HNBLHAA

>700 dollarydoos
W E W L A D

Not for me, but a friend asked me to help him with a build.

Purpose: amateur video editing.
Budget: $1000 Canadian Rupees.
Current part list: ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NP7mFd

I decided to go with 6700k since main purpose is video work, would've gone with 32GB RAM, but have to shave off money somehow. Possible upgrade path. Told him I highly recommend SSD for OS/programs, another possible upgrade.

Would he really need a Z170 Mobo? From my understanding he might not be able to OC, or not as much.

Is the GPU okay? From what I've read it won't matter nearly as much as the CPU. I don't know if he should cut back on the GPU further since he does game.

>i5 6402P

The GPU is just barely "okay" for playing modern games. It's really more suitable as an upgrade in a prebuilt Wal-Mart PC.

Everything else sounds really good for what he's going to be doing and staying within a reasonable budget.

That case is surprisingly nice for a budget case, used one for a family member once.

If I were him I'd skip the 1050 Ti and just use the integrated graphics on the CPU while getting reacquainted with some old classic games or emulators to kill time while I saved some dough for a real GPU.

Forgot to mention that the Z mobo is necessary for OC and there is no reason not to do it if you get the 6700 "k" version. It's literally as easy as clicking a few buttons in your bios to increase your performance 10-20%.

That cooler will be adequate for mild/moderate OC.

Is buying a graphics card with 16 GiB worth it?

Only if you wish to fall for the meme.

pcpartpicker.com/list/LHpfFd
Is $120 for a 256 GB 850 pro a good deal? Any reasons I should get Evo instead?
>inb4 poorfags

So frustrating looking at mobos online. What mobos do you guys have and are you satisfied with them? I need some recs.

If you don't want to OC just get the cheapest compatible mobo with all features you need.
If you want to OC than you also want the board to have as many "CPU power phases" as possible.

That's it. Whether the board is from Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte or MSI doesn't matter.

What's your opinion about an office pc with an amd 5350 with 8 gb ram?

This piece of shit worth 20 bucks? I don't have a client pc that would work. Seems alright in terms of lag for single player games, and it supports a bunch of controllers. Only reservation is the performance hit on the host PC making me lose hella fps.

I need a psu in the 650w range but none seem to be marked down for black friday, any chance prices will drop for cyber monday?

>I need a psu in the 650w range
No, you don't since SLI is not worth it.

Adequate. Get an SSD for the OS.

For $20, I'd say it's worth giving a shot. I haven't used it myself though so I can't comment from experience but reviews were pretty positive last year.

Im the amd guy, What OS would be better, windows 7,8 or 10? I'm planning to install office 2016 in it, maybe a 240 ssd

I've used all three of those and they all work totally fine. Windows 10 has the newest features and will have support for the longest, but it's also loaded with telemetry backend stuff that sends data back to Microsoft, if that bothers you.

I'd use whatever you can get for the cheapest of those three.

What's the best bang for my buck when it comes to SSD's? I need something around 128 Gb-ish.

>60hz monitor
>get 40-45 fps with lots of enemies and effects on screen in dark souls 3
>it's noticable, but game is still perfectly playable

>get 40-45 fps with lots of enemies and effects on screen in the witcher 2
>game feels like a stuttering slide show with unpredictable camera turns etc

can anyone explain to a retard? is this the "micro stutter" people complain about? TW2 made me think years ago that you HAD to maintain 60fps (or your monitor's refresh) if you wanted smooth gameplay, now I don't think that's probably the case.

ncixus.com/products/?sku=134396

>objectively better

What are timings for 500, Alex.

>2816 is somehow more than 2880
>.7% advantage in SP TFLOPS

w e w

Gigabyte Ultra Durable for OC and good audio, doesn't need to be the designated gaymur line.

kek

OP here, I saw this in that other thread from earlier today and laughed the fuck out loud as I saved it. Surprisingly enough I had already made this OP or I would have certainly used this image.

I also have a Gigabyte Ultra Durable line. It's been okay. Had to RMA the first one after it failed ~2months into use but the replacement has been alright for about a year.

Fuck any of the gaymer aesthetic models.

I must dispute your claims regarding the 1050 Ti. It sits at or above a 960 in various benchmarks, and packs 4GB of VRAM at that. It's fully capable of delivering performance worlds beyond the best I integrated solutions. It's reasonably priced, too!

>implying a 960 is good

>It sits at or above a 960 in various benchmarks

Hardly anything to write home about. Anyway, the composite benchmarks I've seen place it just below the 960, but like I said, that's nothing to get too excited about.

I'm a big proponent of just "buying what you need" but in this case, for like $30 more you can almost double your GPU horsepower. There isn't any other jump like that to be made for so little money in the entire GPU stack on either side of the aisle.

Purpose: Moderate gaming, schoolwork, and I've begun to dabble in 3D design (Fusion 360).

My budget flew all over the place, and then right out the window :^)

pcpartpicker.com/list/77hhD3

I just purchased a Node 202 from Newegg, there's a $20 discount down from $79 going on until Monday. I'm planning to downsize considerably. I purchased a CPU/MOBO/RAM combo on eBay this past summer for a VERY good price, consisting of an i5-4690, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, and the reason I lusted for the auction, an Asus Z97-PLUS Mini ITX motherboard. I sold the processor about a month ago due to a bit of a financial scare, and everything smoothed out. Super excited to get the Node 202.

R o a s t m e

pcpartpicker.com/list/7szqBP
I'm not even building this, but here is a good list for any user looking to get 1080 / 60fps without overclocking. I just like making lists.
My goal was to make a $800 total including win10. I had it way under, so I added this cute little cooler to keep noise down and temps lower.

err derp. Obviously don't buy 16gb of ram if you're on a $800 budget.
For the SSD btw, I figured the prospective builder might have an old HDD lying around for mass storage. If 480gb is not enough for you, get a 120gb SSD and a 1tb hitachi drive and the price will be about the same.

It's better than settling for integrated.

At least he'd have a sporting chance at running games all pretty-like with a 1050 Ti. A friend of mine runs a 960, and I'm always impressed by its real world performance.

Making component lists is my fucking drug dude

Also, if you're keen on making it almost exactly $800, get a Crucial Mx300 525gb SSD for $120.

I agree with the first user, I would nix half the RAM, then scootch a few things around to sneak in a 480 or a 6GB 1060.

Thanks a lot

>At least he'd have a sporting chance at running games all pretty-like with a 1050 Ti.

Whatever, but that's not a defense for making a shitty purchase. The fact that a 960 "looks nice" on your friends PC doesn't hide the fact that it's been probably one of the worst price performers of the past 5 years.

The 1050 Ti is nice for a variety of reasons but none of them are related to their actual performance. They're advertised at the pre-built market that has no choice in the matter due to case size/PSU limitations and that's where they belong and where their MSRP makes sense.

Dunno if this is the right place. But I figured I'd ask anyway.

My brother is turning 15 in january, and it's about time he got his own gaming PC, rather than having to share. So I figured I'd build him a cheap, used computer.

He doesnt really do all that much heavy gaming (2011 Skyrim with no mods is probably the most taxing game I've seen him play). So I figured I could repurpose my old Core 2 Quad Q6600 as his first platform? I've got a decent mobo supporting OC (Aiming for 3.0ghz on the Q6600).

The only problem I have is the graphics card. I'd like to target either high/ultra 720p or medium to medium high 1080p capable card. Any suggestions?

A few limiting factors is the newer RX series cards, or the 1050ti is off the table. I'm not going to fork out five times the money of the CPU to a fancy graphics card. The Q6600 isint that capable anymore, plus my brother doesnt do heavy gaming to warrant either a new, or even all that powerful GPU.

Not a rx460?
If he wants to play games at 1080p he's gonna need a GPU that isn't trash, maybe look into used 750/ti?

Depends on the power supply but this is a situation where a card like the 1050 Ti might actually make sense.

I respect your facts and your quints, but I would hate to build a pc then be forced to stare at it and bigger game titles while waiting for a chunk of change. A fun thought, though, might be to do the 1050, then do a Craigslist for a while, to find some decent-to-shit HP or Dell, then plug in the 1050 Ti, and sell it for profit. Then it'd just be matter of waiting for a deal to present itself for maximum profit. And he'd be able to game! Just sounds fun to me :)

HIS just announced a single slot PCIe powered RX460 if power draw ends up being a major concern. Just as well, MSI also announced a half height, PCIe powered 1050/Ti.

Your budget flew out the windows because you made bad choices. You dont need 6 physical cores to "dabble in 3d design".

>20$ fan on $400 cpu
>$230 meme mobo
>a fucking 950 that youre paying extra to be white when youll never fucking see it

Just get a fucking i7 6700k and a z170 and save yourself the money on the minimal performance upgrade and use that to get a graphics card that isnt already obsolete.

The power source is a 550 watt Coolermaster box.It should be enough for something a bit more demanding.

But as I said. I'm fully aware of cards lit the RX-460 or the 1050ti. I'm just not really all that keen on investing in a brand new card, when the hardware itself is... Well quite frankly obsolete.

Someone mentioned the 750ti How capable is that? I used to have an R9 270x in my main rig. The 270x has been in my mind for quite some time, as they can be acquired fairly cheaply aswell. Does anyone have any benchmarks comparing the two cards?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MfYMTH This is about as good as i can do for your friend user. If you want to squeeze a 6700k into a $1kCAD build you need to seriously cut some corners. Note the 6700k is actually $3 cheaper than the non-k right now, so why the fuck not right?
going to an $1100 budget lets you get less shitty parts though. Or drop to a 6600k which is still pretty damn good once you dial in a bit of clock speed.

Both of those are fine for what you said he wants to play and are fairly equivalent. Go find a used 750ti because people are going to be dumping their old cards now.

thanks lad, yeah I think you are right...thanks

See, I didn't really know what all I was getting into when I built my baby.. a friend-who-isn't-the-friend-with-the-960 had a 5820k, and at that point, I barely understood how a 6700k could possibly not be better than something with a smaller-number-name. I basically tried to copy his prebuilt Cyberpower(?) prebuilt. Same CPU, same motherboard. I had initially planned to upgrade to a Pascal card when I went for the 950, and I will admit, I wanted something pretty to look at while I waited. This was back in April or March.

By dabble, I truly mean dabble. I'm struggling to build a snowglobe.

I hope to fix some of my mistakes with the Node 202 conversion. I'd lusted after a quality gaming PC for a good while when I put my Angel together; and I considered her to be my opus at the time of completion. I now know that to be false :/

The though the 950 hauls ass in a lot of games, the main limiter being the 2 gigs of VRAM :(

*"The 950 hauls ass.."

Muh mobile

Is there any truth to the saying "there's always something better around the corner" when it comes to building PCs? So you shouldn't necessarily wait for the next big thing?

Fuck yeah, ask the people who bought 980's

Not him but I have a 212 Evo on a 5820k. Fite me.

I have two aftermarket fans on mine, temps never exceed 60°

212pride

Hrm. I keep reading that the 270x might perform better. I guess it comes down to price in that case. I've seen both cards fetch for about 80€ in the used market here in Finland. With the 750ti occasionally spiking as high as 110€. The 270x (Or even the 270. they're basically the same damn card) meanwhile is a bit more consistent.

thanks regardless. You've helped narrow the field down quite a bit!

What are the best AIB full circuit liquid cooling set ups? Full system meaning GPU and CPU. I'm not gonna bother spending +$80 to cool my ram.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/77hhD3 here's the list with a 6600k, this should allow a decent overclock to around 4.1 or 4.2 before temps get nasty. It won't have 6700k performance, but you get a case that isn't shit, an ssd, a way better GPU, and dual-channel memory.

You should find your brother a used gtx 960 or something along those lines. Browse craigslit/ ebay for used gpu's. I've seen a used 960 go as low as $75. A 950 will also probably be suitable for his needs.

Damn, I don't think I've ever seen mine over 50 after a few hours of BF4 while streaming. What speed you running at their fampai?

ok so i have this project to make a form factor pc.

i want to overkill it a little to run present games and future games at 60fps.

i just bought

i5-6600k
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

but i dont know what GPU should i buy, i dont know nothing about gpu memes, and i dont want to buy something to expensive (ie 400usd) that runs exactly like something cheaper

what do you recomend?

Always
Or at least devs will always optimize for what's newest and "better", leaving the fully capable older tech in the dust of incompatibility

I just let the motherboard's built in OC button do whatever it does. Any time I try to fuck with it, something always goes wrong. It runs at 3.9Ghz, stock being 3.3Ghz.

At 1080p try a 480 or 470 if you're super Jewish
At 1440p or higher hz maybe a 1070 would do it
Don't forget the get the stupid fucking blower style cards

I think your best bet would be a Founder's Edition 1070; though not necessarily from Nvidia. FE because they're the best blower style coolers, vs. MSI or Corsair, and blower style is best for small form factor systems

Are 3tb HDD's still less reliable then both 2 and 4 tb drives?

I say best, based on mostly the fan quality, concerning which I have read about problems in other-brand cards

>replacing mobo and cpu for the first time
>run around like a headless chicken for a day because i forgot how to plug everything in apparently
>apparently i needed to reinstall the entire fucking os because the mobo wasn't compatible with my previous install
>just sitting here running transfers from my windows.old folder before i format the partition and merge it with the partition i had to create for the install

I had no fucking idea that upgrading a mobo was this labor-intensive. At least I didn't make any major fuckups like damaging it or the processor.

>wanted a new mobo for a long while because my old one is a piece of shit
>turns out my i7 is old as dirt and the socket type for it was discontinued which cost me an i5 that's about as good as the i7 i had
>mfw

Sounds like you didn't research before you bought shit.
Also why didn't you just dump your important files on an external, reinstall the OS, then drag and drop them back over?

Pulling OS installs across different motherboards can really be hit and miss :(

thanks, i will check the 1070

because i'm too retarded to move everything to the third partition beforehand and too poor to afford an external

I didn't fuck it up at least, and the new CPU fan is unbelievably quiet in comparison to the old one I had.

You may also consider Gigabyte's 1070 mini and pray for good airflow, to my best knowledge it is well under $400, and one of the cheapest 1070s overall

>buying mini versions of gpus
>cucking yourself

if you're only gaming at 1080p (or even entry level 1440p) a gtx 1060 is also sufficient. Asus Turbo 1060 (6gb) is $249 with a hefty $30 rebate on newegg right now. That is what I recommend.

Luckily the blower style 1070s are cheap because nobody needs them, like $380 for an asus blower one, the founders edition is more expensive for really no good reason so look for other blowers

The Asus blower lacks a backplate, though, and that may be a factor in such a closed-quarter build. Also plastic shroud, and my point about sub-par fans still stands, minor be it may

Is a 6700k/z170/1080 enough for VR?

>Asus Turbo 1060 (6gb) is $249 with a hefty $30 rebate on newegg right now. That is what I recommend.
checking that right now

i couldn find any 1070 under 400usd (only the mini which is 380)

>implying the 1070 Mini doesn't have higher clocks than several other options

>inb4 temps/throttling, don't be petty

lol yes. A 6500/b150/ gtx 1060 is enough for VR.

An FX-8350 paired with a single RX-480 is VR capable.

What a stupid question. Of course it's gonna be enough for VR you dingus.

But a backplate is not a factor, the shroud isn't the heatsink, and show me where we can find specific models of fans used in GPU coolers because a lot of people would like to know
I really hope you're not referring to the "premium materials" of the founders edition card that's over $50 more

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=a8&page=1

?

thanks again

Backplate isn't a factor up until you have shit touching the PCB in the cramped case. Fuck if I know where you could find that information, I've just read that the other blower style coolers start to whine before the reference designs. I have no beef with plastic, metal is just nifty-er.

Is 6600k and 1060 6gb a sensible pairing. I don't need a beefier GPU, but I would like to be able to OC for the sake of futureproofing. Does that make sense?

Huh

Doesn't VR require like at least 90fps though and isn't the total resolution output on something like the vive around 1440p?

I would have figured on a demanding game it would struggle a bit to reach that.

yes but get zen as soon as it comes out

the build looks good, an i5 and 480 are a good combo

Total resolution is doubled when it's rendering two points of the same scene, it's not like it's playing two games for each eyehole