Ethernet cabling

Cat 6A or is Cat 5E enough?

Shielded twisted pair (STP) or unshielded twisted pair (UTP)?

Solid or stranded?

Other urls found in this thread:

cableorganizer.com/corning-cables/unicam-pretium-tool-kit.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Multicore coax or bust, user.

why not a telephone line?

Optical, so niggers can't steal your copper

If you plan on running 10GbE at some point in the future than you need 6a. STP is always superior to UTP except it is more rigid. Solid cables are again superior in cases which probably wont be applicable to you but are less flexible and more susceptible to damage. Unless you are wiring a business, the cost difference between 6a STP and 5e UTP is negligible.

can't send power through an optical cable.

SFTP 6a

If you're hoping for high speeds in the future. Cat6a. At least on most websites or in store the prices are comparable.

If you need to route it through walls then I'd recommend anything in-wall rated or STP. I bought 1000ft of cat6a in walled rated UTP for like 100$ from Amazon. Brand is cable matters. It's p good man.

Stp and solid cables are
More rigid and harder(and more risk of damage) to move around and flex to your needs.

Solid has a different use here than regular internet. You need not concern yourself with this.

but that's wrong

Cat6(anything) is a fucking pain in the ass to crimp and only gets 10Gb speeds over shorter hauls and/or with power hungry transceivers.

I fucking wish plastic multimode fiber had taken off, since it's dirt cheap to produce and arguably even easier to terminate than UTP.

>100m
>not useful for any distance inside a home

>fiber
>easier to terminate
everyone ive ever known who knew how to terminate fiber has always said dont even look in to it unless you plan on doing it as your job due to the capital costs for the tooling

A termination toolkit is $2k
cableorganizer.com/corning-cables/unicam-pretium-tool-kit.html

If your network rack is going to be in about the center of your house, and it's an average 1000sqft or so, cat6 can do 10GBE, otherwise if it's a bigger house, you might need cat6a.

I suggest UTP, except for runs where you know you will have a piece of network equipment on both ends. STP is only really useful if it's grounded on both ends in my experience, so I just use it for patch cables. If only one, or neither end of an STP cable is grounded, then sure you have some extra shielding, but you've basically run an antenna the full length of your network cable. So if you have anything generating RF noise in your house, the ungrounded shielding could pick up that noise, and cause more interference on the line than if you'd used UTP.

So?
Just have some faggot install fibre into your house and rob him.

>STP is only really useful if it's grounded on both ends in my experience, so I just use it for patch cables. If only one, or neither end of an STP cable is grounded, then sure you have some extra shielding, but you've basically run an antenna the full length of your network cable. So if you have anything generating RF noise in your house, the ungrounded shielding could pick up that noise, and cause more interference on the line than if you'd used UTP.
Not OP, but the only devices I own which dont have grounded jacks are my 10+ year old APC PDUs. The NMC 2 card in the UPS along with literally everything nowadays has a grounded jack.

This. Cat6 is a bitch and a half. You will get asked by "friends" to wire their goddamn house, so be easy on yourself, they get Cat5e.
None of you faggots need more than 1 Gb in your home wiring and its likely Cat 5e will end up being extended to 10 GbE in the future.
I used Cat6 to connect my switches, because I was easily able to pull a pre-made cable between floors. That being the only critical link in my home. Wireless is the future anyway.

>None of you faggots need more than 1 Gb in your home wiring
no, pic related

>its likely Cat 5e will end up being extended to 10 GbE in the future.
no it wont, its the reason why NBASE-T exists.

>Wireless is the future anyway.
lol no

6a for future proofing was the standard like 6 years ago when I installed this stuff for a living so yeah you probably shouldn't fucking pull 5E when 6A is only marginally more expensive per foot.

What the fuck kind of environments are your components in that you niggers need STP?

running ethernet cables next to power cables, UPSes, fans, etc.

I believe STP is a scam by the elctrician jews. If you have active shielding you need to ground that shit or else you'll have leaking currents that will destroy/simmer your hardware.

I've seen more cases of improper STP setups that had to be fixed than actual setups where the use of STP would be justified. If you have so much electrical noise/shit going on that you would need STP, you're probably better off with fiber anyway

>f you have active shielding you need to ground that shit or else you'll have leaking currents that will destroy/simmer your hardware.
The shield is connected to ground, and in datacenters this is something which is actively taken in to consideration if they're properly managed. For access layer you'll notice that you rarely ever see shielded keystone jacks deployed for this reason.

And STP is a requirement for 10GbE. For access layer devices this like WAPs this wont be a problem due to PoE, and for other devices for NBASE-T. God only knows what will happen when the access layer moved to 10GbE.

Cat 7 is the only way to fly. Don't be pleb.

plastic multimode has a massive core compared to even glass multimode and can be terminated with a decent pair of scissors and some high-grit sandpaper.

Graded index plastic fiber (GI-POF) can hit 40 Gb at 100m with the right transceivers, though 40 Gb @ 50m and 10 Gb @ 100m+ would probably be safer targets.

>Wireless is the future anyway.
wireless has been, is, and will always be two steps behind a hard cable solution

wireless makes more sense in some cases, and high, consistent throughput is not one of them

doing mass transfers even between two single modern hdd's will saturate gigabit, i can imagine someone who uses ssd's would find gigabit to be outright slow

shielded stranded cat7

any sane person uses at least S/FTP

>literally tinfoil hats for your cables

> disgusting.jpg

The only copper that isn't complete nigger tier is SFP/SFP+/QSFP/... twinax patch cables.

>2016
>Not using CAT7

CAT7 with CAT6A plugs.