When did Windows go to shit...

When did Windows go to shit? The last version I used before goin to Loonix for good was XP which was pretty comfy and stable.

Just installed a copy of Windows 8.1 for a tech illiterate friend. Holy shit!

> installing updates takes hours
> 27 gigabyte Windows folder
> metro UI looks like a fucking tablet OS
> no start menu on desktop
> spyware and telemetry everywhere

Wtf is this abomination?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=11196
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What did you expect?

What's your GNU/Linux setup?

windows 2k was the only good windows

> installing updates takes hours
A one time install of years of backlogged updates takes a while? Wow.

Was your friend using a HDD from the early 2000s where this would be an issue?

Then replace it.

Then install one.

Then block it.

Manjaro with Xfce

Usually the updating takes only a few minutes when installing your average Loonix distro. Also he had an SSD, slow drive/internet or old hardware were not the problem. And yes, I now replaced it with Linux Mint. Just werks. The whole installation + WPA Office and other stuff uses 3 gb.

Wait till you try Windows 10.

Windows has been repellent since 8. Apple doesn't seem to give a shit about OS X anymore either. I'm looking forward to seeing Google Fuchsia, but I'm not holding my breath. Linux is old reliable.

"""just werks"""

>Was your friend using a HDD from the early 2000s where this would be an issue?

Oh please, eat the whole, SSD is free anyway.

Windows ME and after

>catched

Windows was shit, is shit, and always will be shit. From Windows 1.0 to Botnet 10, it's shit.

2k, XP, and 7 were better shit, but still shit.

Windows 95 and older: Shit
Windows 98: Tolerable
Windows 2000: Good
Windows ME: Varied (Some say shit, others say OK)
Windows XP: Great
Windows Vista: Shit at first, bearable after the service packs'
Windows 7: Amazing
Windows 8/8,1: Shit
Windows 10: Shit

>you don't like it replace it/install it/block it
or you can just go on and install an os that is not shit and just werkz

You have to admit though that Windows 3.* and Windows 95 (while shit too) were pretty based.

Expanding real-mode DOS with Windows 3 and making it run in 386 protected mode while allowing multiple DOS programs run in the same time was pretty based. A glorious hack.

Then 95, which offered a user interface far more advanced than the competition, running in a fraction of memory and cpu of the competition, obliterating Mac OS while stil being a glorious 16bit+32bit and having most of the OS implemented in Win32 which still is the only good API Microsoft ever made. Pretty based.

Of course back then Microsoft was employing based, experienced American programmers. Really makes you think.

Legitimately fucking horrifying

>hurr durr its cause they don't use American programmers
American programmers are much shittier than they were back then. You only need look at the web devs we're turning out these days to see that. "yeah, whatever, I'll just import ten megs of JS frameworks to make this little dropdown menu..."

nigga just install the goddamn classic shell and you basically got windows 7++

8.1 + classic shell = most comfy windows ever

>Then 95, which offered a user interface far more advanced than the competition,
What competition. You probably never saw a Mac. W95 was a very poor copy of Apple's System 6. Lots of the standard features didn't work. Windows still doesn't have spring-loaded folders. Does it have folder actions yet?

All the the complaints about Windows are 1 time fixes, or stuff you can automated. Linux you have to deal with problems on a constant basis, unless you're using it as a server.

>Then 95, which offered a user interface far more advanced than the competition, running in a fraction of memory and cpu of the competition, obliterating Mac OS while stil being a glorious

WTF are you talking about? Win95 was barely competitive with System 6 which required far fewer resources. System 7 was vastly better.

>Win32 which still is the only good API Microsoft ever made.

I'll give you that, but Apple's Toolbox was better.

You're describing Pajeet.

Windows 8 is the shittiest version of Windows ever created. The second is Vista.

> updating takes hours
not 4 me
under 20 here
it's gone in win10 unless you activate it on purpose
it's back
that's the one real thing that pisses me off.

some microshills have said in windows' defense, that OSX and mobile operating systems as well as browsers and social networks have been collecting data like that for a while now. which is true, but it still sucks. you're basically just expected to trust one of the biggest companies in the world going through your personal data, and they're not even subtle about it, they seem to have completely ceased giving a fuck.

apart from that, i actually like the UI now that metro went in the trash, there's inconsistencies but it's getting better. i like the approach of win10 being the last iteration of windows and from now on it's gonna be gradual improvement and polishing rather than a minor revolution every new release with a new theme and interface.

they still manage to fuck up, eg the "snip" screenshot tool is ridiculously convoluted, but i'm seeing things i wouldnt have expected from MS five years ago, quite impressive, they finally started giving a shit about UX

OSX on the other hand has great UX still, but is getting shittier by the minute. tim cock and brony ive should be burned at the fucking stake. jobs was a psychopath but man he knew how to create a solid product.

When they tried to shove 10 down everyone's throat and fucked up 7 updating

OS/2 best OS

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.

microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=11196

google for permanent key.

Windows 98:SE was the best for a loooong time. it would run on dogshit computers. 133Mhz Packard bells could run it decently. I know this for a fact.