Underrated OS Thread

>Tell us why your OS is underrated
>List pros and cons

>pic related
+ Works on any PC with 4GB or more (literally any PC after 2008)
+nice design
+Affordable for a Windows OS

-Requirements were too high when it came out
-Didn't work properly until SP 2
-User Management Center is an overprotective faggot

Bump

systems that are underrated are rated that way for a reason
/sage

Sage isn't a downvote.

Win 7.

Pros: not Win8/10
Cons: Minor performance difference

That is coming from having to use all three on a daily basis.

I liked the taskbar in Vista.

Solus

+It's really good
-None

fucking redditor pleb

Win 8

+The UI looked amazing and customizable
+ Start menu looked way better
+ Requirements are very good, was able to run on older hardware

- No use for two PC settings, only needed control panel

I install W8.1 for every computer I fix nowadays, and my customers love how it looks

/thread
8, 8.1, and 10, are all dumpster fires and Microsoft is legit trying to kill win 7. They brick the updater on any clean install. I've used enterprise, OEMS, and retail copies and the "bug" exists in all of them but didn't when the OS was first released. There is a silent update manager patch that immeadtly installs if you connect a fresh win 7 install to the internet. Once it patches you're fucked and you have to reinstall the OS and apply two very specific patches to keep the updater from getting fucked up.

What is wrong with Windows 10? I understand it's a weird mix between what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows and the old Windows but its pretty much the best parts of Windows 8 and the best parts of Windows 7 put together.

>but its pretty much the best parts of Windows 8 and the best parts of Windows 7 put together.
Literally. Using a duct tape.

Windows ME

Jesus, do you even go past the UI? The fucking telemetry, power settings that require the alteration of the registry to gain access to basic settings already avaliable in win win 7. How about the fact there are two control panels...one that actually works and the other with is a glorified switchboard of bullshit that doesn't actually do anything? How about the fact they reset personal settings after major updates? How about the fact you have to set individual networks as a metered connection to control updates? How about the fact the constantly install that bullshit fucking "apps" like it's a God damn phone. They refused called programs and applications. Shortening the names is the first step towards making the OS operate like a phone. Oh and let's not forget about their constant pop ups and nags from their message center. Or better still how about the fact they keep obfuscation and changing locations and procedures on how to disable their bullshit functions, ever try to disable swipe from left? Or find the metered connection. Settings after the "anniversary update" this POS operating system is exactly that a data mining pile of shit!

>>Tell us why your OS is underrated

Linux, because for all the complaints about "muh games" and "muh program that only runs on Windows" it doesn't treat you like an imbecile, a "consumer" to be shouted at with ads and forced upgrades (W7 to 10, for example) and general crapware. And it gets the fuck out of your way when you want to do something nonstandard with it.

And a default install of /any/ Linux distribution is infinitely more useful than any version of Windows. Stuff that Linux users take for granted after the first half-hour of installation, Windows users still have a shit-ton of stuff to install to get it to do anything useful.

This.
I'll try Vista till it runs out in April and then install a Linux distro. All this autistic "muh gaymen" shit hurts my eyes.

This. Most Linux distributions just give you a ton of useful software out of the box, including drivers. The best Windows gives you is paint and notepad, both of which are shit, and Windows media player which can't even open most media unless you download codecs (though libre Linux distributions also need to download proprietary codecs, but at least it's handled during installation). I usually reinstall Windows once a year or two and always have to install at least 10 pieces of software, 2 separate drivers (one for ethernet, one for graphics card) and disable a ton of background services to make the OS usable.

Fuck off, Windows Vista is shit.
Fuck you stupid troll.

Vista A Shit

Ubuntu because it's actually the best Linux distro out there for desktop use.

-Up to date packages
-Fairly stable, moreso than Debian testing which also has up to date packages
-Fast and easy installer
-Beginner friendly
-Large community and active development

prime example of a pedantic faggot

wew lad, put the gun down

Why, because he's right?

>XP RTM was designed to run on Pentium 3s and early (1.5-1.8GHz) Pentium 4s with 256 MB of RAM
>XP at the end of its life required a dual core and 2/3 GB of RAM to accomplish basically anything

Microsoft is such a degenerate company.

Running xp sp3 on a 400mhz single core celeron laptop, 196MB ram, and ATI rage mobility with 2mb dedicated vram

Get fucked.

>XP RTM was designed to run on Pentium 3s and early (1.5-1.8GHz) Pentium 4s with 256 MB of RAM

XP was unusable without 512MB of RAM to start off with, userland applications bloating made it painful to have less than 2GB of RAM

Painful

>implying you don't have at least a Dual Core CPU and 2GB of RAM in the years 2008-2016

I'm going to give windows 10 a little bit of credit here.
I was expecting it to run horribly on a Dell Latitude D420 my grandad gave me.
(1.2ghz core duo, 1.5gb ram, 60gb HDD, and Intel gma945. Old tech we are talking here)

But it actually works pretty well, ironically enough.

Might dual boot a Linux distribution on it as well though to see if it runs any cooler on Ubuntu or something.

>painful
In what way? There's absolutely zero lag.

Hell no! This windows 10 bullshit has caused me thousands of dollars in overages across cellular connections and have gotten zero response from M$ over why they see fit to override my system rules.

How so? Because you don't use more than the pretty UI? Guess you've never had you entire group policy blown to hell and had to unlock the fucking hidden admin accounts to bring what was a perfectly healthy operating system back from the dead because their updates wiped out the settings. Just because I threw a wall of text up doesn't mean that it's not totally valid so fuck you, you self righteous IT cunt! I'll bet you consider the side loading of fucking candy crush apps and live tiles to be the next huge revolution despite the fact it does nothing but hinder performance and take the control out of what once was a "personal computer" into a glorified tablet or phone!

got a link to a guide?

Hell yes, before reinstalling the win 7 OS download KB3083710 and KB3102810 and hang on to them. Disconnect all network connections from the machine you are working on. BE VERY CAREFUL IF USING OEMS MEDIA they install drivers while the OS install is happening so it's possible when the OS boots to the desktop the first time it may connect your a network and if that happens you're fucked. As long as it doesn't connect to the internet all you have to do is install both of those KB packs and reboot after each time and then run the windows update manager and you should be good to go.

I just used windows offline update and disabled windows update. Should I worry?

This is what is still great about Mac OS. They respect for it being used in a workstation environment. Not a shitty consumer device with big buttons and stripped down features. If you want that their tablets and phones are perfect. This convergence of mobile and desktop Microsoft is forcing down is weird and just creates a compromised experience.

Vista realistically needed 2 gigs of ram to be even functional. Xp ran great on as little as 512MB of ram. I bought a Vista laptop for over $700 back in 06 or 07 and it was a giant piece of shit. It came with a gig of ram which used to be considered a decent amount back then and had to spend another hundred dollars on ram to make the laptop functional.

Be very careful the update that breaks that is silent and I don't know if disabling the update manager will keep that from happening. The bitch is if you want to test that you will have to potentially install the OS all over again

Using it today wouldn't be a problem though, and since Vista has only a small market share, nobody will take their time to hack you. Since I hate Win10 I'll just get Vista and uprade to 7 when support has ended

and since Vista has only a small market share, nobody will take their time to hack you.

lol, no. It's still an NT based os like the newer ones.

B I N A R Y B A S E D
S Y S T E M D
G N O M E S T A C K

Ty based user

Anything to keep the good systems working and the slow slide into the nanny state of current OS structure at bay. Pass the word and keep the personal computer personal!

For fucks sake just use 7

Vista = 7 beta. Why would you even use it?

Can someone tell me what the difference between UAC and root is?

I hear about how shit UAC is all the time but no one bitches about typing in their root password on linux

Chrome OS is really underrated imo

>can edit photos in Pixlr Editor, Polarr
>can record music in Soundtrap
>can play Android games, apparently.*
>can do some light txt editing and programming
>can store offline files
>can create, edit documents offline in either GDrive or Office
>>also, free Office
Chrome OS is a lot more capable that people give it credit for. It's not just a Shitpost OS.

*although, Chrome OS is not a gaming OS. but then again, neither is macOS or any Linux distro. if you want gaming, your only choice is Windows, really

MacOS
pros
>looks nice
>gaymen is good enough for me
>lot's of good free shit bundled
>proprietary
>secure
>integrates with my phone

cons
>there are none

there's nothing underrated about Vista
7 is almost literally Vista SP1 with some more fixes.

mind you, I had no issues with Vista on my personal machine, even if I saw the horror stories normalfags had with it first hand, everything worked just fine until it stopped booting one day, installed Windows 7 that evening and never looked back

it was a total fucking hog on resources at a time when 1-2GB RAM and a 150GB HDD was a fair bit, though, especially coming off of XP cheerfully running on a 10GB drive and 512MB RAM with nearly no issue

the problems vista had were the same ones XP had
they both introduced major internal changes, namely the driver model and system requirements, but also old software compatibility
this meant old/low end hardware ran much slower with vista than XP (and don't underestimate how many people run such hardware)
some software didn't work in vista that did in XP (mostly pre-XP stuff, again, don't underestimate how many people use old software on windows)
drivers were new again, and many older peripherals either didn't initially have vista drivers, or never got vista drivers (don't underestimate etc, etc)

i personally kept using ME until 2004, for the same reasons i kept using XP up to 2010 (though i switched to linux soon after that)

-- to clarify, vista was /fine/, it just had external problems that come with any major changes
if people only used well-supported, new hardware/peripherals, and new software with tested vista support, they would have no issues
it's why vista is perfectly fine to use now, and people who didn't use it when it was new won't understand what the fuss is about

I once had a Vista laptop in 2008, it truly was a dark time.

>In 2008 I thought Vista was great
>Now retarded hipsters on Sup Forums years later unironically think its good in 2016 despite it having less usefulness than Linux for the average user

Man, Sup Forums really is getting to be as bad as Sup Forumseddit and Sup ForumsTheDonald.

I work at a shit motel and our "business center" computer is from 2005 and runs Vista, It honestly works pretty well for the internet. It's not networked w our real computers in any way it just connects to our guest wifi with a dongle, surprisingly since I've worked here it hasn't had any viruses... good thing because nobody at the hotel knows the pw to the admin account so we couldn't really do shit

>nobody at the hotel knows the pw to the admin account
you can use chntpw to reset it (without affecting anything else)

Wow what's this Windows Vista meme? One week away from Sup Forums and this happens

Russians and chinese (where many viruses come from) either use XP or 7.
That's a good thing, since the market share of Vista is very low. Why would you hack Vista and not just hack 7 if it's both NT-based?

fuck off kevin

>proprietary
>integrates with my phone
>good
Tell me this is a joke

I agree with this. I hate Apple's antics, arrogance, and elitism, but they really are the best computers for normies due to Windows being a dumpster fire.

However, at least if you don't have a Mac, fuck iPhones.

Go away you fucking newfag. Please kill youreself.

CentOS 7.

Pros:
+RHEL without the expensive license
+Binary compatible with RHEL7
+3.xxx kernel and updated libraries means Steam compatibility for off-hours vidya

Cons:
-not as bleeding edge as Fedora
-systemd inside
-certain packages unsupported because it's not "real RHEL" (SAS, Sentinel, etc)

you mean Orbis? nice try
pcmasterrace

This is a fucking lie.

I work for a server distribution company. We build and ship units with fresh, updated and licensed Win7 installs on a daily basis. There is no *SUPER SECRET* brick of a patch. No matter what, just deactivate Windows update after install, plug in the internet, install the two specific KB's that literally hundreds of guides will point you to, then run Update like normal. Boom.

I'm tired of you alarmist, autistic, tinfoil hat wearing faggots spreading misinformation like that.

wtf is orbis?

Actually, I JUST did two Win7 installs recently; one on my spare desktop, the second on my Dell mini10 netbook. The first took three days to get the update list. The netbook took nearly five days. There's an untold number of reports of the win7 update hanging bug all over the internet. Shit is real.

>best part of Windows 8
>best parts

what fucking best parts!?

that parts that were left the fuck alone coming from the windows 7 codebase

Microsoft store, nice snapping windows, nice onscreen keyboard, decent touchscreen support, etc

DPI scaling that isn't shit. Better dual monitor support.

Peppermint OS

+Web app integration is fantastic
+Lot of support for packages, so works quite well even if you don't use a lot of web apps
+Window management options are amazing
+Very lightweight since the DE is based off LXDE
+Fantastic aesthetics
:Basically Chrome OS if it were a real Linux distro. Take that as you will.
-A bit lacking in customization options (similar extent to Xubuntu, but with fewer things to put on your panel)
-Some basic functionality is missing (i.e., customizable keyboard shortcuts)
-A lot of its positives are tied to its DE, so it's not as good if you use another DE

It's not alarmist it's bullshit. No question about it and the fact you deem it normal is not any better so shut your mouth. When every machine I've reinstalled on has the same issue when originally there was none there most certainly is a problem. And if you call win 10 a boon to the systems at large you're more than likely some level one tech who can't tell the forest from the trees.

I feel like a lot of people agree with what you're saying but not the way you're saying it just fyi.

I mostly use Windows 7 and Windows 10. Which is highly overrated and windows 10 is absolute trash. Prefer any Linux distribution over both.

Call me names if you want to. I'll be happily shipping another one today after its fully installed and updated in less than an hour.

>Not using the simplix updatepack

Enjoy waiting a week installing updates you don't really need and manually avoiding the botnet updates.

>mfw budget laptops still come with 3GB and still cost the same as they did 7 years ago
Fucking jews

Bump

wu.krelay.de/en/

how many time I have to shill this guys site before you fags bookmark it and stop bitching about windows update being shit?

>underrated OSes
>UNIX clones
>OS/2 clones
>DOS shell
>underrated

I excepted something more, to be honest, my fellows

(kys)

Here's your (you), my friend

Bumping for interest

Wow, got an entire machine done in one day?! Must have got your big boy pants on all the way today!

No, it's not a joke, believe it or not the vast majority of people don't pretend like they actually give a shit about open source software on the ground of privacy and ethics.

[citation needed]