Best Gaming Laptop for $1500

Hey G, I've been browsing for a gaming laptop for college and there are a wide amount of laptops that have great price/performance, but wanted everyone's opinion on the best gaming laptop.

For now, I am convinced on an Asus gaming laptop with a 1070.

Please elaborate why the laptop you chose is superior to others.Also must have a 1070 or higher graphics card.

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5579395.p?skuId=5579395
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, another consideration is the Razer stealth with a core, but does not seem to convincing, due to the additional cost of purchasing another graphics card.

I would consider the possibility of upgrades while searching. When I was looking for a new laptop of this kind some time ago, some brands didn't permit upgrading or accessing the motherboard, some because warranty others because of fixed components.

It can be the case you just want a working laptop out of the box, if it is the case just take one with the highest specs on GPU, CPU, SSD and Ram you can find. Asus RoG was a fine choice for me on that time, but my choice was an Dell Inspiron 7559.

MUH GAYMEN LAHPTAP

>gaming
>laptop

pick one you fucking dork

shut the fuck up you fucking normie

>Being this autistic

I have an older Asus non-gaming (i.e. non-riced) laptop with dedicated graphics, and I'm very happy with it.

>gaymen laptop
>for college
just kill yourself if you don't plan on taking your studies seriously. We don't need useless fucks like you on the company

>tfw you only follow memes from the internet, do me a favor and kill your self normie

The thing is each brand varies in the efficiency of cooling, therefore it is very difficult to choose the best laptop for the price. Thank you for your input :)

External cooling pads are a thing. And fyi all gaming laptops run hot as fuck.

Get a desktop and a chromebook instead.

Same price
Better gaming
Better mobility

easy change thermal paste, i have a y50-70 before i changed it with my ic7 it throttled now with the termal paste the max temperatures i get is like 60, and if i overclock i get 80 on cpu and 70 on gpu

Since i will be staying in a dorm. A desktop would not be the best option due to the limited space at the college I will be attending.

Yeah i know, but im looking to see if you guys know which would run the coolest in temps and so forth.

There are tons of slimline desktop models these days.

That being said, good luck finding anything that doesn't run hot as fuck.

Your best bet is to look for something that has an 18 inch screen or larger so you have more mass to absorb heat.

Well do you know which one you would recommend?

I have a couple friends who have MSI gaming laptops, but their cooling is not best and for simple games like Overwatch they run their GPU at extremely high temps.

Do you prefer the ic7 thermal paste over arctic silver 5? In addition, I'm not to sure about the structure with laptops so for me that would be a bit of challenge.

I have a MSI Stealth Pro, the temps are scary but the slim profile helps a lot. Yet, I will change it soon for a desktop because I will get better performance for the same price.

Yeah that's what I was talking about, what are the specs on your MSI Stealth pro?

970m, i7 4910 @3.5Ghz. I'm really happy overall

Please for love of Torvalds
Just build it a Mini ITX build, and use the rest to get yourself a fine working notebook. Thinkpad or just a chromebook.
Like use 1300 to build yourself a pc with a gtx 1070, and use the rest to get yourself a notebook.

>gaming
>laptop

pick one

What temps do you get?

I want to, but it takes a lot of space that i do not have

This.

You at least have a normal sized computer table right for all of your books, and other schol supplies right?
If so I will promise you that if you just buy a 24 inch to go with it you really have nothing to complain about with how much space you have to work with. However if you truly are limited just buy a Razer Blade.

Around 90°C for both GPU and CPU.
That in Witcher 3 @60fps and medium settings(if I recall correctly)

The thing is things get stolen in dorms very quickly. Like the mini itx and monitor will be quick to steal. Since i have one of those laptop lock things and i would be able to hide it. It would be better.

But im also debating in that too

>He doesn't set cameras in his room
user you need to think a little more into the future of how you can protect your stuff. Like if you are so worried about losing your stuff you seriously need to put up something in your room that can keep your pc safe.

Buy the Blade if you must choose between Asus and Razer or any other gaming brand.
Asus makes good monitors, but their laptops sucks so fucking much. Razer is the best thing you could get for a gaming computer which resembles something you would want to work with or have around you.

Yeah thats what i have no idea about

The only issue i have right now with the razer is the size of the monitor. 15'6 inch is the perfect size which they do not have. Also, the Razer Core is not as efficient right now. But I am assuming with potential driver updates it would be ideal.

Also what makes the asus laptops bad?Besides the bloatware. By any chance have you seen the HP Omen laptop,comes with a 1070

Well set some security up in your room.
Buy some cameras to set up, so you can see if anyone came in to take your stuff.
Have better security on your OS of choice.
Have a back up ready if the event were to happend.
Find out about who it was, and have that nigga meet his demise.

Lol. That would be pretty cool. I also purchase the bitdefender total security which tracks location perfectly. Btw its 12.99 for a whole year. If anyone is wondering.

They are build got, but tech wise they slow down very fast, and you can almost never upgrade them. Asus is as sketchy with their computers as Apple are. Buy Razer or MSI.
I choose Razer because they are some of the greatest notebooks you can get for working and playing gamers.

The only thing i have against MSI is their cooling. Pretty trashy.

Which is why you should buy Razer, but if the money is too much for you maybe buy Aorus their computers aren't too bad.

Hopefully they come out with some ridiculous specials or 15.6 inch screen

just got a new amd a10 9600p laptop and it seems that fallout new vegas is about as far as i can push it, which it averages between 30 and 60 fps at near max detail.

if you can live with older games these apu's are pretty good.

the cost of most machines with a 940mx is ridiculous and by then you might as well spend more for a 960m.

I've been looking at an omen with gtx 1070 and 512 ssd. Also saw that cyberpowerpc has some really cheap laptops with gtx 1060s and a bunch of free shit thrown in. Anyone have experience with them?

If you have no room for a desk to study, you won't have room for a laptop. If you have room for a desk to study, you have room for a desktop. If your budget is $1500, get a $1000 desktop. It will outperform and run better than a $1500 gaming laptop and you can still use the $500 to get a solid laptop to take with you for lectures.

Fucking this.
You seriously don't need anything else. I know you want to be with the cool kids, but come on you seriously should not buy anything else with that budget.

Are you saying the best option is a desktop?

For the stupid anti gaming laptopfag:

The 1080 desktop = 1080 on laptop
The 1070 desktop = 1070 on laptop
The 1060 desktop = 1060 on laptop

Stop live in 2013.

Of course.
Gaming Laptops are a fucking meme.
Just build yourself a fine Z270 build once it comes, with a decent laptop next to it, and I promise you will be pleased.

>Muh small form factor
>Muh gaming on the triain
>Muh I am superior to you
>Muh I don't need to upgrade

Yeah lol thats what im saying the reason why they removed the m factor is that there was no significant difference between the desktop and laptop version of graphics cards.

Not him and I'm probably going to just get a laptop anyway but what kind of specs would you be getting in a build your own $1000 desktop?

No. The laptop counterparts run at significantly lower clock speeds and cost a lot more.

This isn't even remotely fucking true. I am a departmental IT Director and former Director of Student Technology working at a UC, and dorm theft is absolutely unheard of. If there was a crime, it would be reported to an RA immediately and a campuswide crime bulletin would be released.

Someone stole a laptop in the library last year and there was a manhunt until the thing was found an hour later. Some homeless fuck had walked by and grabbed it. So don't feed me this line.

If you want a gaymer laptop then just buy something, but don't make up shit that you know nothing about.

PS, Razer Stealth is garbage, and if you aren't getting something with a 1060@1080p or a 1070@higher res you're wasting your time

Gaming laptop = Any other decent laptop with a backlit keyboard and a monster logo.

Just buy a dell XPS

I am just going to name the CPU, GPU and Ram

CPU: 6500
GPU: GTX 1060
Ram: 32 gb of 2666 mhz

The rest you can decide yourself.

>significantly lower clock
>GTX 1060 (Desktop) 1280@1506 - 1708 (Boost) MHz 192 Bit @ 8000 MHz
>GTX 1060 (Laptop) 1280 @1506 - 1708 (Boost) MHz 192 Bit @ 8000 MHz

You will lose less than 5%, the two chip are IDENTICAL, even the 1070 laptop have more cores

>32 gb of 2666 mhz

Thanks user

The laptop I'm looking at has a 6700hq and a 1070. Would being mobile versions change how they compare to what you mentioned?

It does only have 16 2133 ghz ram so there's that.

Are you taking cyber monday into account with these prices?

The college I plan on attending has had several things done. I just am very petrified of this happening to me that's why.

Most desktop pascal cards can easily be overclocked above 2 Ghz

I'm agree tho but laptop GPU aren't anymore memes

Ask which toy is better according to their experience you fucking faggot. Get the hell out of Sup Forums - Fuck off

don't fall for the meme user. you won't get work done. Build a pc and get a shitty chrome book for taking notes. With that budget you can probably build a nice gayman pc and have a laptop so you'll get shit done.

>inb4 I need the best specs for development
There are people on this board using thinkpads I use a 2011 MBP that I got from a company who recently upgraded their laptops (note they're advertising hence why mac)

t. roommate who doesn't get shit done because he has a gaymen laptop

Do you even code bro?

Not a fan of ASSus, I prefer Dell's/Alienware even if the design are cringe

Stop right there. They are extremely overpriced.

Once they was, but Dell really have chanced for the better. Better than anything Asus makes these days. Funny how the tables has been turned.

>gaming laptop
>not overpriced
pick one

I know but Dells are better.

t. asus and dell gaming laptop owner

>plan on attending

Okay, so you have no idea what actually happens at a college, and are going to ignore the advice of a career appointed individual at one. That's fine.

Just get the Alienware or Razer that you obviously are waiting for someone on this board to suggest to you so that you feel validated in making the decision. No one cares. It's your computer.

Alright guys, I went ahead and purchased an Asus laptop, same one as in the OP. Thanks for the input!

Well OP I've got a Lenovo Y510P.

I bought it right before the newer Y50 came out, don't know what the current model even is.

Anyway, really it's been great. The only regret I have is getting the SLI version because the cooling design on this laptop just isn't adequate for it. Only other issue I've had is nVidia releasing drivers that made it go full retard until I rolled back.

It runs just about everything I've needed it to for the last few years and the mobility has been extremely useful.

That said, I just ordered all the parts for a desktop build so this is going to be retired to a secondary role.

Why the fuck are the so many stupid fucks in the world?

>he fell for the meme
way to go op

I love how these threads are filled with children/morons who cant understand that its not 2005 anymore and laptoos are.more than capable of gamin

well guys after doing my homework i'm going to return this laptop for the $427 i spent on it and getting the $529 (on sale til wednesday) laptop on newegg with the dual core i5 with HT and 950M.

i was just gonna keep this modern apu and run it in dual channel but come to find out HP has made the ram slots to where you have to tear the entire laptop apart so fuck that bullshit, i'll just return it and get something better.

that's not what we're concerned about
>gaymen laptop for college
>low battery life
>heavy as fuck
>"I'll start my homework after this game"
>playing games in class

you get a shitty laptop in college so you WON'T be tempted to play games and you'll actually do your work

For anyone else wondering the same thing, look at Clevo/Sager. Often better value than other brands.

Im in college and i never take laptop to class and only play some cod or grid in lan with roomates or drive around in gta 5

Having a laptop capable of gaming doesnt mean you have to be a retard who games 24/7

Because that Gaming Laptops never will make sense. You buy a Laptop because you are an individual who intend to do some work outside, and for that you buy a sleek notebook with great specifications. Not a gaming laptop that makes you seem like a total tool.
You build desktops because you want a lot of horse power out of your computer, and that applies for gaming too.

>never take laptop to class
THEN WHY BUY A LAPTOP????

Get a desktop.

I played ut99, max payne and shit like that all day long on my shitty ass HP Pavillion with an AMD Turion until 2 years ago. Battery lasted a few hours if I was lucky and it was heavy as fuck.
Why the fuck does everyone assume on Sup Forums there are only games from the current year? For me a gaming laptop is a laptop with dedicated GPU.

My sister attends that college, and tells me about the things that happen on campus. The reason why i chose gaming laptop is its a laptop that will last for my 4 years of college or more. Meanwhile I will need the laptop for simulations since I will be entering the field for computer sciences and engineering

I bought mine so I could come home and plug my mouse, keyboard and monitor in. Dealing with 2 systems is a hassle, having a capable laptop solves that problem.

>4 years or more
>computer science and engineering
oh my god what the fuck is wrong with you OP gaymen laptops die fast as fuck. Seriously due to the lower ventilation shit is exposed to heat way more often COMPARED TO A DESKTOP WITH A GORILLION FANS OR WATER COOLING.

kys OP you fell for a shitty meme

Mobility is prime thats why. Sure it looks retarded, the ASUS ones especially, but thats the situation im in. Also what laptop is good that is 500 dollars that will not run slow and be good for my computer science and engineering needs?

>mobility
hold the phone since when have gaming laptops, other than like those super skinny razors been mobile? If you're gonna get an ASUS chances are it's gonna be big as fuck and have no battery life so you'll also have a large ass charger

>computer science and engineering needs
>not slow
>500 dollar range
x230 - x240 off of ebay
T430-T440 off of ebay

This thing
bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5579395.p?skuId=5579395

Chinkpad E-series
Something from Acer

and then use the rest of the money for a desktop in the event that you want to play games or do more development.

CS and engineering college work is not very taxing. You could probably get a cheaper lightweight laptop and still have enough left over for a decent gaming desktop. You also have the option to upgrade your desktop at any time, should you so wish.

Had a gaming keyboard in college, and it sucked.

Battery life was horribly short, so I could even have a 3 hour long double class while on battery, unless I totally dimmed the display.

Not to mention those things pop out like crazy.

Constant high temps, ugly af, loud fans

If I had a chance to talk to my 19 year old self I would just tell me to buy a thinkpad with a proper battery for studies and a PC for my dorm room.

model?

This I dropped 2700 on a "upgradeable" laptop just so NGREEDIA make the gpu not upgradeable with the mxm that just rolled out and now my shit is worth literlarly less than half of what i purchased it for, theres a fucking reason people hate monopolies and that is fucking it. stay away from gaming laptops unless your ok with the gpu going out and rendering it obsolete and STAY AWAY FROM NGREEDIA

shut da fuck up faggot theres a reason why people stick to fucking pcs

I had an MSI GT683R. But that was like 5 years ago.

If I remember correctly, it had
2630qm i7 processor
GTX 560m
8GB RAM
500gb*2 Raid0

the one i have runs about low 40's high 30 when im not doing anything and browsing with not many tabs open p750dm-g if your curious btw its a beast of a laptop but got screwed over it by proprietary bs

Thanks for the personal experience.

You are a fucking retard, enjoy your obsolete shit in 2 years.

ewwwww, I prefer my 5yo based dell xps 17 l702x