/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread: Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-block-unwanted-sites-using-the-windows-hosts-file/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersection_graph
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam
obsproject.com/
warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23533620&highlight=
youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ5WL5cCg0
youtube.com/watch?v=kF6s24fpDkk
webmproject.org/tools/
stardock.com/products/fences/
stardock.com/products/odnt/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how do I download private/copyrighted videos
there has to be a better way than using a screen recorder, but everything google turns up looks sketchy and fake

>download private/copyrighted videos
from where? in what method?

>Pluto is a planet!

youtube, primarily, i.e. flash videos

if it's loaded in the browser, shouldn't I be able to find it somewhere?

Bumping from the previous thread:
I need to block a complete website in uBlock Origin, how do i do it?

firefox addon works flawlessly on most flash sources
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

My mom bought me a new laptop for christmas.

It's an Acer and has a fucking CELERON 1.6 Ghz CPU

How the fuck is this allowed?

It's quad core, but that doesn't mean shit.

I turned it on and it's slow as fuck and filled with windows 8.1 bloatware.

I have a windows 7 disk, if I installed it would it speed things up a bit to a tolerable level?

I just want to use it to surf the net and watch animus.

you mean domain? block it in your hostfile
techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-block-unwanted-sites-using-the-windows-hosts-file/

I'll leave an open question for you to think about (because I'm thinking about these issues in the last weeks):

free linux distributions have given a low entry point to run "virtual" machine/servers, and run software on them
the world doesn't have infinite resources
more servers running need more electrical power
more electrical power generates more CO2 emission

This is an actual problem I see, I don't know what the solution is, but the problem is there. "Infinite" free distribution of software looks like an ecological problem. I think we should start thinking about this issue now.

If you are just websurfing and animeing then install some distro of ganoo/lunix

mobile celerons use the same arch as atoms :^)

that's what i've been using, actually, and it's asking me to download a special converter for copyrighted music videos

well, fuck. if nothing else, I'll download it and report back re: how well it works

then I would try jdownloader

Posted this on /sci/.
Not getting any help.
Maybe an SE/Programmer can gimme some help?

Can someone explain what an "Intersection Graph" is?

>OR MORE IMPORTANTLY
How do I go about drawing one from this information?
How does an Intersection Graph relate to a regular Graph and its Adjacency Matrix?

How can I learn to use Linux and become competent at running a Linux server? I want to one day be able to run game servers and stuff!

Also, where would I go about getting my hands on a Linux server to run said game servers on? Any recommendations? I know that's a long way away, but recommendations are always nice.

some green fags have indeed bitched about the electricity consumption of datacenters, but they're a small (low single digit) percentage of our overall energy usage.

and actually if anything virtual machines have drastically cut energy usage. Before virtualization was a thing you'd have dozens of servers in every machine room that spent most of their time being almost idle. Load all those low-intensity services into VMs and you can put them onto much more efficiently-utilized machines. Almost all of the energy spent on computing is actually going to a useful purpose, in other words, instead of being wasted keeping machines up and ticking over waiting for some work to do.

Can you stop being such a lazy fuck?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersection_graph

So, the solution is... proprietary software? I don't see where you're getting at honestly.

Which one should I install?

Old fart with a mathemtical background but no experience in programming, I am very interested in Cybersecurity and Computer Networking (for no purpose other than interest - coming up to retirement). Where should I begin?

I bought a custom cooler for my GPU but the fan connector is too big for the GPU one

What kind of cable am i suppose to buy to connect my new fans with my GPU?

How do I make webm's?
I remember finding a tool that did it pretty easily but I can't remember what it was called, and google is terribly unhelpful on this.

reddit

/r/python
/r/learningpython
/r/networking
/r/sysadmin
/r/cybersecurity/

Say you wanna run Android x86 on one of these things, >pic related, and you wanna hook it up to a large touch sensitive display so that the whole thing works like a huge beefed up tablet without needing a keyboard, would that be possible?

I know how to get Android up and running on it but i'm not sure if and how its going to work with a non-phone / non-tablet touch display, like would it register touch inputs properly after just plugging it in or would it need special drivers / hours of config?

Yes, I have that page open. I need at least a basic walkthrough of HOW to plot it.
Doesn't have to be my particular question, but I need to understand WHAT I do with those sets to generate points.

I'm a sperg, and I can't figure out what the relationship between these sets and the matrix I'll be making is.
The textbook I'm using is shit, and my teacher is high on this fucking McGraw Hill bullshit.
I ALWAYS fuck up with McGraw Hill books...

Simply put, I need THIS information:
>Those sets are not points. How do I convert them into points?
I can see that some of them are the same, but I don't know what to do with them, because they only have 1 coordinate on their own.
>Once I have the points, what is the relationship that I can use to generate an Adjacency Matrix?
I know how to make the matrix AND how to read it, but I have no idea what the relationship is from this question

connect it to motherboard then

webm of what you do on your desktop, of your screen
or webm from a video?
on linux or windows?

i use ccleaner and auslogics duplicate file finder to find duplicate files. is there such a program to compare hard drives and find the files that arent duplicates and also allows you to copy them at once?

also, this one is pic related, is it worth having ccleaner monitor on?

Screen would be preferable (assuming it also captures audio), otherwise video is fine.
Windows, but I have WSL so if it's a cli tool linux is fine.

I dont think its that easy to just use linux tools to capture windows screen when they are designed for X

anyway webmcam is simple
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

or use the glorious and powrful OBS
obsproject.com/

Posting this from the last thread.
> f g (x:xs) (y:ys) = g x y:f g xs ys
> f g _ _ = []
How is this Haskell code working? What does it actually do? How are you able to know its functionality right off the bat?
Help and thank in advance!

Wait, I just read it over a couple times. Can someone check if my interpretation is correct?

>The intersection graph of a collection of sets A1, A2, . . . , An is the graph that has a vertex for each of these sets and has an edge connecting the vertices representing two sets if these sets have a nonempty intersection.
Do this mean:
1) Each set is its own point, and it is only 1 per set?
2) When an edge connects 2 sets, that means they have common elements?
2a) An edge means ANY number of common elements and no weight?

This is really the best I got... can someone please confirm if this is right?

How the shit do I make a bootable Windows USB on OSX? Unetbootin and Boot Camp doesn't work. Do I have to install Windows in a VM and use Microsofts tool, or what?

Anybody else having problems with Youtube videos loading super slowly?

As in it's a black screen that doesn't even start to buffer for like 10 seconds.

the best I found is "duplicate finder"
stupid name.. and only the pro version is good, that compares whole directories...

warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23533620&highlight=

How can I make wget stop downloading after a while? It's a livestream and I don't need it to download the whole thing.

>TFW Still not 3D Printing schematics for car, so I CAN'T download the car

Nope. This video loads perfectly for me: youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ5WL5cCg0

:3

Where do you live?

It's a function that takes a function and two lists as parameters and recursively builds a new list with the passed function applied to the heads of each list until one or both of the passed lists is empty.

Did you see the image on the Wikipedia page?

Example: On the image, the green set is intersecting the blue set, the yellow set, and the red set, but not the gray set.

So in the intersection graph, you would draw the green node (i.e. the node corresponding to the green set) as being connected to the blue, yellow and red nodes, but not to the gray node.

And yes, each set is a point/node on the graph. If a node is connected to another node, it means the equivalent sets are intersecting (that is, the sets have one or more elements in common). That's it.

Are Samsung still the best price/quality SSDs? Thinking of getting a 256, maybe 512 gig one but I don't have a massive budget

What's really the best computer for mobile programming?

My computer fell over on its side earlier (poor case got scratches on it). Should I be worried at all that my HDD dipped a little bit in performance?

If you only use it at home, with power supply plugged in at all times, change the power settings from balanced (preserves battery) to high performance.

> winkey + type power options, hit enter
> click "Change plan settings"
> click "Change advanced power settings"
> in the dropdown menu, choose "High performance" rather than "Balanced" (which is usually active by default

My dad had a slow af cheap laptop and this actually fixed the shitty performance. It's still a shitty laptop obviously but it went from completely unusable to stable perfomance without significant lag as long as you don't overburden the system. But web browsing, office, movies etc run fine now.

Try it.

Ok.
Alright, that makes more sense. I can start the graph now.

I'm still unsure of one thing: Are those blobs a PART of the graph, or are they just there for visual aid? (Would the graph still be done without the blobs?)

That looks like a pretty big dip.
Run Speccy and check the drive in the storage section.
Post an image of the drive table

Visual aid, the blobs represent the sets. You don't need them for the graph.

Why do you insist on speccy?
SMART data says it's okay.

So theres some pretty good deals on the RX 470 at the moment, and it'd be a significant upgrade over my R9 270. And with the expenses that Christmas brings, it's probably my best option in the short term.

Just debating between getting it now, and maybe upgrade later next year to something better. Or just wait until Vega comes out and choose between that and a 1070.

To be clear, I'm referring to the very beginning.

Looks normal to me

meant for

>Reddit and Morty picture

Ok, thanks

>Why do you insist on speccy?
Because it lists all the SMART data and most people have it if they're on Windows. It's easy to find the potential problems that way.

And yeah, it seems fine based on that. You can check more into it, though, if the dip holds for a while.

It's not making any high-pitched whines or clicking sounds, is it?

Eh, okay. This is a pretty new drive (only got it a week ago) and I've been putting stuff on it, so I guess it'll look a little different regardless of if the computer fell on its side.

Not yet, it's making all the same sounds it did before when I download stuff to it, run games on it, etc.

It's probably fine then. If it starts making clicking noises, though, then you'll have to monitor it, because that can mean the write/read head is coming in contact with the platter (which means it'll eventually dig through it)

On the other hand, how far did it fall? I just reread what you said, and it looks like it just tipped over. That probably wouldn't be an issue, especially if the drives are located towards the bottom of the tower (since less torque when the top of the tower hits the desk)

Thanks

Can I put a Samsung 850 EVO into my Thinkpad T530 and keep my HDD?

Does the T530 have room for a second drive?
I'm not familiar with the model.
From what I looked up quickly, it doesn't seem to be able to fit 2, so I'm gonna say no (unless you don't mind one being connected externally)

What OS do you run, though? If it's a *NIX OS, you can probably just keep the OS on an SD card, since your system seems to have an SD card reader. Just go grab a 64/128/256 GB SD Card.

Then keep only data on the HDD

Since I am a noob I want to know if I can define the function like this:

f :: [Int] -> [Int] -> [Int]

is it possible to be completely off the internetradar through vpn and shit or is this just a meme

I want to import a youtube playlist into google music. Is this possible?

In theory it would just have to get the names from youtube. Usually the format is [artist - song] or something like that. Check with some database, find the same titles in google music. A little hit and miss but overall that shouldn't be impossible...

anyone?

Alright. It didn't really fall that far, like I said, it just fell on its side after it got bumped into. .

have you ever gone to setup GPU passthrough and wound up building a custom kernel?

Can you get in trouble on Amazon if you use your free 2-day shipping to send stuff to ebay buyers at a profit?

Considered doing it for newly released games to take advantage of that 20% discount, but not 100% sure it'd be worth it after tax and ebay seller fees. I guess I could have it shipped to myself and then reship it but that just makes the idea even less attractive.

How would I setup a speaker setup if I bought the following:

Insignia passive bookshelf speakers
Dayton sub 1000
Lepai 2020a+

I'm confused as to how the lepai can control the powered sub and the bookshelf's. Do I somehow wire from the lepai, to the sub and then from the sub to the bookshelf's? And have my speaker plugged in the amp?

And have my computer plugged in the amp*

It's definitely against their ToS but I'm not sure if they actually bother to do anything about it.

Should be fine then

Couldn't I remove the ODD drive and put the SSD in a caddy in that place? I use Windows.

>DBAN a Seagate Barracuda
>plug into new PC (Win 7)
>BIOS detects it, Device Manager detects it, explorer does not
How can I make my HDD usable again?

If it fits, you probably could.
I had considered that when originally responding, but I kinda decided against making the suggestion in case you need it.

But, you probably can.

plug it into the old PC and make sure it has a partition table

Unless you live in a place without sales tax I don't think it would be worth it. (And in that case you'd have to ship to yourself to be sure sales tax isn't charged, I would think.) Sales tax is like 6-9% and eBay charges you 10%, so with those together your profit is going to be pretty shit.

never mind i misread that look for partition in the start menu and open the option create and manage partitions

also this helps you
youtube.com/watch?v=kF6s24fpDkk

I just installed gnome the place where i get my software keeps crashing how do i stop this using my terminal

Alright. Thanks, hope you're right.

by installing KDE or xfce?

Can I safely use server RAM on my desktop? It's so cheap.

install Arch Linux

Does something like pic related exist

Just some graphical overlay on your wallpaper, to organise your desktop a little better. I'm pretty sure something like that exists in KDE but I'm not gonna switch systems for one feature

thanks in advance

webmproject.org/tools/

likely not
its probably ECC and your pc wont boot with it

Well, like I said before that, just keep an eye on it. If you start noticing problems, then just go grab another. If it's still fine after about 2-3 weeks, it's almost definitely good.

There's no harm in being extra safe. But if it really did only tip over like that, probably not an issue

Yes
stardock.com/products/fences/

Or just get the full thing:
stardock.com/products/odnt/

I see, I looked into it and it looks like my mobo doesn't support ECC. Oh well! Thanks.

I haven't used a CD or a DVD in years and doubt I'll need to, I was mainly concerned about the ports, if anyone has experience with the process, are there any problems with caddy-to-SATA supporting SSD speeds etc. Thanks for the help.

Ok, here is a question. It is more of a problem i have at work and I'm still trying to figure out a way to solve this shit.

So i guess I'll just post the TL:DR version.

I need to functional mouses working in the same machine while each one of them have it's own functional cursor.

I tried using TeamPlayer4 Free trial but only one mouse cursors is active at all times while the other one can only move itself, i also tried another software but that one straight up didn't work.

Now here is why i need 2 mouses working:

At work i have to fill a bunch of request forms, during the day i get around 20 to 40 forms to fill and it takes quite a while to do so. Since every form is filled in the exactly same way with the exactly same sentences i thought i could speed things up. I Tried using Selenium IDE on firefox to automate the filling of the forms but the systems has way too much shit on it for the software to fin the right places to fill in the forms. I tried to convert it into Python and java scripts and did some changes into the scripts but they still don't work.

So i just downloaded TinyTask, which just records my mouse movements and mouse/keyboard actions and repeats them over and over. It works like a charm but i can't use my mouse while the bot is on and I have other work do to.

Other solutions to this problem are welcome as well.

Unable to, but I'm 99% sure that's the problem as Device Manager didn't see one.

Found this program to create a partition. Pretty sure I'm meant to do primary partition (not logical). Since this drive is only for Windows (and I can add a second partition later), should I be picking NTFS?

Lately my laptop has been entering sleep mode in the middle of a session. It's not shutting down by itself, but would the symptoms be the same (ie, an uncleaned fan?)

unlikely
more like battery is failing

Actually, I'll just use the Windows one you pointed out. But still, NTFS right?

Shouldn't be an issue, so long as the ODD is connected to the Mobo using the same interface.

If it's already connected with a SATA 2/3, then it will probably be seamless.
Only concern might be fitting the cable in ur laptop, and make sure the caddy has the same interface ur looking for.
I don't see why the caddy would otherwise be a problem, unless the SSD and Mobo are SATA 3, and you get a SATA 2 caddy

NTFS supports a lot of features that FAT systems don't, and EXT is not usable with Windows.
So, unless your partition absolutely does not need Access Control or Encryption (or I think, compression either), and it also does not need to exceed 32GB (FAT32 maxes at 32GB. exFAT can go higher, but that tool doesn't show that option), then go NTFS

Alright. Cheers mate, have a good day.

I've had this laptop for just over 3 years, Toshiba Satellite U845W-S400. Would getting a battery replacement be fine?

1. rightclick my computer
2. manage..
3. disk management
4. right click on seagate => make new partition
5. ???
6. PROFIT

first confirm its not doing when its pluged and when battery is out

and sure.. if you find the replacement battery for like $25 then why not