I am 28 and genuinely despise math. Is learning to programme a waste of time...

I am 28 and genuinely despise math. Is learning to programme a waste of time? Is it true you have to love programming in order to progress?

Other urls found in this thread:

stattrek.com/probability-distributions/binomial.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>genuinely despise math

You don't need to love math in order to become a competent programmer, but you are going to have to know some basics.

I would say don't pursue programming unless you love it.

It's not so much that you need to know math in order to be able to learn to program. For many kinds of programming you don't actually need to know anything beyond basic arithmetic.

But if you're the kind of person that really hates math, you will probably be the kind of person who really hates programming, and who is bad at programming. Because fundamentally it's the same kind of thinking you have to do - manipulate symbols according to a collection of logical rules.

No, you won't need anything advanced to be a good programmer. It also depends on what sort of projects you want to work on as well.

Nope don't even know basics left school at 16 and now earn my living from my youtube channel. I absolutely despise math because how difficult it is. I am shit at it.

If you dislike math and are starting programming at 28 you will probably not succeed in programming.

Like another user said it's not as if to be good at programming you need to be great at math. It's just that the type of people that tend to do well at math tend to do well at programming. Programming uses logic that is very similar to the logic used in math.

If you have a general interest in computers and dislike math I would recommend IT more strongly.

What basics did you learn last? You probably won't need shit like calculus, but stuff from linear algebra would help, in terms of numerical maths.
Programming math is more logic and analytical math and crap.

Mathematical/logical abilities are what separates a code monkey from a programmer/developer

I will try anyway. Last time I tried learning I watched a "beginner tutorial" and it was incredibly hard to follow.

if you find math difficult and infuriating you will try to write programs, have them not work, and then become mad at the computer because you can't comprehend why the computer won't do what you want. The computer is doing exactly what it was told to do, and programming is fundamentally about specifying what you want done in an autistically logical way. The computer doesn't know or care what you want or what you mean, only what you told it. And you as the programmer have to step through the instructions you (or someone else) wrote to determine what they do, how that differs from what they should do, and what changes need to be made to correct them. This is very similar to the kind of thinking you need to do to, for instance, rearrange an equation so that it fits some particular rule that allows you to solve for a variable.

>Tutorial
There's your problem, video tutorials to learn to code are 9 time out of 9 utter shit and teach how to do a specific task, not a general skill.

I was thinking of getting certs and looking at linux admin. But no degree so I am fucked. My youtube channel provides my living income but I need a backup.

IT shit like that is completely different from programming. You'll probably never do more than some (relatively) simple scripts if you do pursue IT certs.

Addition, subtraction, division ect is also I know I shit you not. Left school at 16 but was missing a shitload of days before that anyway. Bad parents.

>Is it true you have to love programming in order to progress?
No but it's a fast moving industry. If you don't read about new things on a regular basis you will stagnate.

Programming is a field with a decent degree of burnout. You tend to not get a lot of praise for what you do, you spend your life at an office, and you need to keep your skills sharp on your own time to stay competitive.

I've seen people in their late twenties with no inclination towards technology try to get into it because they heard it was a pretty decent career. Then they got crushed by 19 year old uber nerds with autism that pick up everything twice as fast and know far more than you before they even start going for a job or education.

Programming isn't what people think of as a "passion career" but when you're competing against people with autism that learn about programming for fun and pajeet willing to work for $5 a day and you need to be self-motivated to even stay competitive in the field it leads to a lot of burnout.

Maybe try learning how to do simple stuff like make a program in python. That's what I tried and I discovered for me programming was a lot less fun than doing stuff like sysadmin or networking work.

Okay so if you don't know algebra at the very least, you're probably gonna have a lot of issues.
Like 100% of coding is based on logic introduced in concepts taught in algebra

You do need to have some competency in mathematics to be a good coder. Consider getting up to speed using the multitude of online courses out there.

IT and doing linux stuff is =/= programming and requires vertually no mathematical ability at all. If you learn networking stuff you might need to memorize some math stuff by rote but it doesn't take very long to learn and doesn't really get more complex from there.

If you find fucking around in linux you might actually find the field pretty enjoyable although I'm not sure how the job market is for linux sysadmins is these days either way. Just don't do something in this field if you don't find it fun right away because you will be competing against people that DO find it fun and you will burn out.

If you're not caught up on math and you want to be, try checking out shit like khanacademy before learning to code

The golden key.

Seriously?
The golden key has 75 % chance of working
The silver keys each has 75 % chance of working

With some basic probability math you would know that one Golden key and one Silver key has the exact same chance of working.
So if you have 3 to work with then why not chose the silver keys?

It takes 2 silver keys to open the lock. High likelyhood of one if not both failing.

This IQ test is shit.

i suppose the special lock means that you can use one golden key or two silver key ONLY.

Then if you only have a ONE chance. that mean that you should go with the silver key.

if not then either the golden or silver is a good option.

Silver key option has 0.84375 chance of success.

How did you get to that conclusion, Linus?

I'll hold your hand if you do the equation for me too.

Have you tried being not shit at it? Like, you know, learning how to do it?

T.retards who failed from high school.

Well, you don't need to be a math genius but you gotta be able to do discrete math and be logical.

Like... You know, most things in life.

Depends why you hate math, programming has little to do with the rules of math themselves but the logical way it works is more or less the same.

90% of CS students have an iq of ~100, they are just getting deluded by iq tests

for getting tru the math courses you need to study discrete math, everything else you wont be needing

youll end up as a code-monkey at the end, anyway. Competing with Pradeep for that next step, to become a senior developer.

Get ready to lick your bosses ass asap

ENJOY

What if you wish to get a PhD in CS?

If the lock takes two silver keys, which both have a 75% chance of working, then there is a chance that one of the said silver keys would break.

However you still have the third key, giving you a second chance of opening the gate, if by chance one of the silver keys did fail. So with the golden key I would only have one chance, where with the three silver keys I would have two chances.

The silver keys it is then.

Finally someone with some logic.

what if both break genius

The question was how I could maximize my chances of freeing my waifu, not whether it would work dipshit.

am I the one that finds the word code cringy. Also how is the language of computers if you need an interpeter

>I am 28 and genuinely despise math. Is learning to programme a waste of time? Is it true you have to love programming in order to progress?
Start with something simple, like Python or Visual BASIC. Don't start with something like Java or C++, you aren't going to become Pajeet's worst nightmare overnight, so get that perfectionist mentality out of your head.
After you learn one programming lanuage, every other language should become progressively easier.
And no, you don't need to be a math master to learn how to code, even programmers make mistakes. That's why the search engine was invented.

>tfw to intelegent for latex
Apparently not intelligent enough to spell correctly though.

>tfw to intelligent to argue semantics

I wrote "intlegend" though, you dork.

Then you need to work on your writing skills too then.

Silver keys.

You have three keys, and two of them need to work. So, you want either all of the keys to work, or one of them to not work.
You lose in the cases of either having two keys that don't work, or having three keys that don't work.
The probability of any silver key not working is .25.
As such, the probability of two silver keys not working (Case I) is (.25)(.25)=.0625
The probability of all three keys not working (Case II) is (.25)(.25)(.25)=.015625
Add those two probabilities up to get .078125. This is the probability that you don't have enough working keys.
Therefore, the probability of you having at least two working keys (i.e., the probability that you can open the door) is 1-.078125=.921875, or about 92%.
92%>75%, so go with the silver keys.

QED

>rearrange an equation so that it fits some particular rule that allows you to solve for a variable.

I almost physically recoiled with revulsion.

>the probability of two silver keys not working (Case I) is (.25)(.25)=.0625
>the probability of 2 keys not working is the same as the the probability of 2 out of 3 not working

So much effort went into this, why did you have to goof it?

>Is it true you have to love programming in order to progress?

Yes, but that's true with any skill, really. Give it a try (try codecademy.com for a few hours), if you like it keep going.

I'm sorry to say this senpai but you'll never be able to programming if you can't do any of that. You might not even be able to copy paste from stack overflow. You're legitimately worse than any pajeet.

It's not a matter of not being able to, but immensely hating every step of it. If you said that it "gets easier with time", you'd sound like an anal rapist to me.

Sorry for the hyperbole, but some people just really hate following rules.

I had hoped that I could reason it out like that without using binomial distributions, but apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, I just plugged it into a binomial distribution calculator online, and is right.

This can be solved with your average calculator.

Does: [spoiler](42!/2) * (0.29^11) = 8.571*10^44[/spoiler] work?

I figured number of possible outcomes is n!/2. Not sure if I I'm correct though...

>It's not a matter of not being able to, but immensely hating every step of it

>Sorry for the hyperbole, but some people just really hate following rules.
well that's literally what programming is. The entirety of it. If you feel this way I have no idea why you want to learn to do it. Go ahead and try, I'd wager money you'll give up because you hate it.

If you hate math you'll hate programming. Programming past a certain point requires efficiency, theory, proof, inspection, algorithms and documentation. All of which may or may not involve math, but are very math-like anyway. If you hate math you hate logical and extremely literal thinking, which is exactly what programming is like. Theory and logic from an abstract perspective of design. Programming doesn't just involve math, it often IS math.

I delayed calling myself a retard (also for spoiler usage) to give myself more time to figure this out and my tea got cold in the process. Feels like I'm just throwing darts blind here, it's some shit with factorials.

Lemme see if I can get this without cheating. We're basically determining the probability of getting two unbroken silver keys here.

You simplify this problem immensely if you first calculate how often the first two keys will break/work, and then seeing out of the times you have one working key and one broken key, how often you will get the second working key needed to save your waifu.

1/16 times, both keys will fail (1/4 * 1/4).
9/16 times, both keys will work (3/4 * 3/4)
6/16 times, one key will work, one key will fail (1/4 * 3/4 + 3/4 * 1/4)

Of the 3/8 times one key will work, but the other doesn't, you will get the last key needed to save your waifu 3/4 of the time. So 3/8 * 3/4 = 9/32.

9/16 + 9/32 = 27/32 = 0.84375

Take the silver keys.

I'm well aware that's exactly what programming is, but I'm not the OP nor do I intend to pick up programming.

I can play an instrument and have people say things that sound like complete bullshit to me: "I'd never be able to do that". The truth of the matter is that they just don't like it enough to learn to do it. It sounds like bullshit to me, but I accept it. This is why I get peeved when some people get all condescending and insist that "anybody can do math :^)". No, fuck you.

>28 and despises math
>Wants to be a programmer

Ha, OK.

Maybe this will ignite a passion for algorithm development that you never knew you had. Its not math theory. It's mathematical application.

Also check'd

explain what do you mean by "basic"

a little younger user here with some noob-tier knowlede of c++, what is the best language to learn for beginners(take in consideration that im gonna be self-taught)

Is 28 really too old to become a programmer?

No.

28 is too old to become anything except learn a trade. Businesses want young, strong workers who can effortlessly handle brutal work schedules, not old men.

This is literally causing me to have an existential crisis.

t. 27 year old who got out of the military to become a CS student. I can't compete with pajeet, should I just an her?

Wish I could fucking go back in time.

An hero*

Same here, everyone keeps saying CS has the best job prospects and decent pay, at the same time people keep saying you need to be a genius naturally gifted programmer and your job will be outsourced

I don't know what to believe

I'm 29 and people think I'm 19-20. Age doesn't matter. I'm the top student of my CS courses too.

True. Several people have been baffled when I tell them I'm 27. I guess every day is your first day. No point in looking back.

Besides, the vast majority of work is soul crushing. At least there's perks in CS that other stem careers don't get.

Whatever, if I'm a code monkey so be it. If that's the worst that happens and I still bring in 30+ dollars an hour, that's 13 more dollars than my trade skill would afford me right now, and that's with six years of experience. With six years in CS I'm assuming I'd be making a considerable amount more.

Self doubt is a bitch. Not knowing what's in store sucks dick. If I knew exactly what steps I could invest in and what the outcome would be, man...

People literally ask me what freshman dorm Im in. I dont care how old I am when I finish. RIght now I have an A+ in my programming course and plan to continue making As here on out. I busted my ass to be here and will do what it takes to finish strong

You're a fucking badass dude. Don't lower your standard.

Just 6 days ago quit smoking weed to get serious again. I was on a good track for a 4.0 and have fallen behind in my physics class. Literally didn't open the book for the past 2 months. I've done 3 problems all semester. Somehow I have a B from the curve tho...but the next two tests are ganna be rough. Hopefully I can crunch well enough with my friend who is a tutor.

Once I started accepting that I might not be getting an A in physics, it shot my motivation and confidence. Been thinking of other careers simply due to feeling weak in my only math course this semester. It's like I get discouraged that I can't just sit down the night before and bust it out like I can with my writing papers. Teachers ask to use them as examples..

Take it from me kids, never get behind. It fucks your head up bad. The best quality is without a doubt persistence. My lack of effort has caused self esteem issues. Drive is all you got man.

Don't listen to them. Just work hard and you will be OK.

Keys ~ B(42, 0.29)
P(Keys >= 11) = 1 - P(Keys

I did it like a grade schooler to figure out the silver key probability. Is there a better way to approach this? Like what if there were 1000 silver keys with 1% chance of working or something.

I find it feels kind of weird talking about programming using any terminology, it's like one of those "first rule of x: don't talk about x" things

stattrek.com/probability-distributions/binomial.aspx

>Hate math
>Wants to work with numbers and calculations all day

Looks good to me

Grosser version