Is software engineering as boring of a job as I think?

I'm in first year of uni studying CS. I was always interested in programming and liked it as a hobby, but now I think of a job as a software dev as horribly boring.

It's just looking at text on a screen writing code for computers and solving problems and eliminating bugs.

Is that really something people want to do for the rest of their lives? I'm starting to really doubt my choice of degree.

Should I find something else and switch?

social interaction is usually what makes a job enjoyable, not the actual work.

working in this day and age is for retards

NEETs are the modern day kings

Look into computer security if you're bored with basic code writing. High pay, you typically only write a small script to run some automated tests, and if you get into penetration testing you learn some really cool stuff that you can impress people with.

Most of the people in my courses are literal man children and autismos.

Are there any cool and nice people to socialize with?

Wow this is strange everyone is autistic and stupid except you.

What are the odds

Not for everyone, interacting with people in any way while working makes me miserable, it's why I got into this line of work. My first job where I could spend all day alone if I wanted felt like heaven. I still look forward to seeing my friends and family in my freetime, but to find working enjoyable I need to be alone and in charge of scheduling everything I do

It's the only job I know where staring at a wall when daydreaming is indistinguishable from working hard

I feel like I don't really fit in. There are like 2 cool people I hang out with. The majority are not people I wanna be friends with. Maybe my uni is worse than others though.

A university is a pretty big fucking place user. At some point you have to wonder if you are the problem and not other people.

t. mentally ill pedophile on food stamps who probably is also addicted to drugs

Weird that i feel exactly the Same.
Worst Thing is that the CS Students All live like 1-2 hours away from Campus while im only 5 Minuten away. Huge university but nearly No One in cs lives in the town

this is the best part

you do not understand entertainment until you have non-ironic, v for vendetta mask wearing, alt-right "nice guy" coworkers

>2 cool people
how many are there in the whole class?

Whats starting pay per year?

To me, staring at a screen alone all day sounds like nirvana, you should be happy your job is easy and low stress

close

im not sure if im mentally ill

are any of the cs students like literal hackers?

or are htey still very basic in coding. why not find one you kinda like and ask them to build a project?

Like 80 people, I don't really know. It's hard finding people whose interests do not solely consist of video games.

you should find something constructive that you like to do instead of just existing with no purpose other than carnal pleasures

>job easy and low stress
top fucking kek you dont' realize how stressful that can be. imagine having a deadline on a program and you spend 8 hrs looking to fix some bug all the while realizing you have until [date] to have this project done and you just spent all day trying ot replicate and this bug on different environments just to get an idea ofwhat is fucking causing it.

what kind of an argument is this? I thought "CS" students were supposed to be smart?

>LISTEN TO ME YOU HAVE TO FIND SOMETIHNG TO DO... GO DEVELOP IOS APPS DONT YOU KNOW SWIFT IS BIG NOWADAYS? 100000 MORE LINES OF CODE AND YOUR BOSS WILL BUY A YACHT

LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!

lol

80 out of two that you know.
user that is sad, but you can't allow yourself to put yourself in that kind of position it will eventually hurt you both as a person and your future carrier.
Just sit with some different people.
You don't have to talk at first, but you can always find something to talk with people about. Like what they are reading on their PC or what they did yesterday. You need to get out of that comfort zone.

>solving problems and eliminating bugs
once you get into the complicated shit, this will start to be actually engaging/rewarding, and at the same time mentally draining

whatever shit you do in school doesn't begin to compare to the real experience

I immediately discard a person if they talk about how great Marvel movies are or if they role play or read lots of fantasy and stuff like that. I have met enough of those people and they always bore me to death.

My friends on campus, except for those 2 guys,
study finance, political science and physics. I can find people to be friends with, just not in my courses.

What part of the world you in famalam?

A nice European country. Maybe it's different in the states.

> bad programmer problems

as someone studying finance it's the same problem, everyone wants to be the next wolf of wall street and they all claim to beat the market. If you want to find people humble enough to learn you're going to search for long, faggot

If you don't like writing code and solving problems then what the fuck are you expecting.

dk?

Can you stop talking about it is the peoples fault that you can't get friends.
It is your own fault faggot.
I get it you are a very discrete person, but have some decency to listen to others and what they like to do then finding someone that has your hobbies.

I would be surprised if user comes from fucking Denmark. They would never tolerate that kind of behavior in class.

I like it and I've done it a lot in my free time. I mostly like creating things that work.

However, I don't know if it would be fun as a career for 40 years. It seems to be mostly the same stuff and creating things that don't really matter. I want more variation and creative freedom I guess. I think I would like building a startup but that's pretty impossible and all.

Sweden, actually. Lund to be specific.

>Sweden
Anyway can't help you then.

I may be stupid (read: tired), but where does user display bad behavior?

I can make friends. I really tried for the first months but I did not meet a lot of people to be friends with. These "nerd" types are not my kind of people. I'm not lonely though. The ones I have are enough.

I didn't say bad behavior.
But understand that in DK or in the rest of Scandinavia the teachers watches the students like a hawk to not experience bad relationships that could hurt them in their studies, or when they are on campus.

Then you don't need any.
Do what most people needs to do on a daily basis user, fake it.

I'm from DK tho. I mean they encourage people to get along, but you're on your own if you can't make it work, or get unlucky with assigned partners.

What? Here in Sweden they don't give a fuck. They are just there do teach, not take care of some 20 year old students.

AAU, SDU or KUU?

I should not have included Sweden on that list.

Thanks Stacy.
Depends. I and my mother both enjoy working and thinking about problems in systems. Software engineering is just that. Close to an arbitrary degree of complexity in those systems on top of that. It's not that different from other engineering fields but the constraints are less.

I can't come up with good examples for you to try but if you start making a game of your choosing and seeing how you can add elements incrementally that's a fairly good test. Just don't make the game too fun. The reason I think it's good is because a game is completely arbitrary. You have control inputs and visual outputs. What happens in between is a problem you make up and solve. Reaching what goals you set up will be an incremental project.

I'd say regardless of your decision the first two years won't be too specific to make it an urgent choice. Do look at other degrees and see if you fall in love elsewhere. Ask your student counsellor about how you can get more of an understanding for what other degrees are like.

How necessary is a CS degree for a Sys Admin job? Thinking of dropping out and signing up for a diploma program at a local college instead because math is too hard for me.

>I feel like I don't really fit in.

that's what an autist would say

>sys admin
Not, at, all.
It's completely different.
CS people aren't trained for systems administration and systems administrators aren't trained for academia.
You're in the wrong degree bub.

Also if math is hard it's the wrong degree either way. So quit before you're too deep.

Would anyone hire me for some baby-tier prog job if I display some level of competence. I have no projects or job history to show for, am extremely displeased with school and some curveballs in my life might actually force me out of it for a while. Can I trick someone into giving me a simple job involving programming (the only thing I'm even a little bit good at). Like surely nothing is so hard that I won't be able to figure it out?

think about what you love to do/are good at and then apply all u know bout being a dev

Send tons of job applications
Work on your programming on your free time so you're ready.
Perform on an interview. Get a job.

Tons of people with ok programming skills often have impostor syndrome. The reality is that tons of hires are barely competent to write basic shit.
It's why you have stuff like fizzbuzz during job interviews.

Thanks for the advice user. I really do want to quit but I have a year left in this program before I get my degree so I just wanted to make sure I didn't completely screw myself over (already screwed myself pretty hard) by focusing on another program that ended up needing the degree anyway. Learning how to be a system administrator seems a lot more lenient on math so that's why I want to get into it.

What are you doing in your math classes right now?

I work in aerospace on a project thats two years late and a few million over budget. Programming is NOT stressful.

Linear analysis. I don't want to math anymore.

OP, how will you get a software engineering job if you can't pass the algorithms interviews?

I'm now in four grade BS in computer science. How I can find a remote job to work while I'm studying?

What technology knowledge should be need necessary for do it?

probably becuase you're autistic and have no social awareness of how pissed off people are at you.

two years late millions over budget some people are clearly pissed nad you're oblivious to it so it's not stressing you out.

? ? ?
did you even read the guys post
he legit was saying his job is more stressful then programming you fucking idiot.

ya and programming is used in aerospace engineering fucking retard. i took the post as meaning he's programming his project is way late and overbudge but yet he's not stressed out.

what where you doing when you were programming as a hobby?
i mean what did you do besides writing code solving problems and eliminating bugs?

did you draw pictures or what?

you misinterpreted his post so bad, he isn't programming he is saying his job whatever it may be is more stressful than programming. how do you not understand this.

Shit, these hit close to home. Right now I'm on my first year of university CS, and I'm in deep shit with the math. I've only taken a preparatory course and statistical maths and both just fly over my head. It has made me fairly miserable and studying doesn't feel right to me. I don't enjoy learning right now. Only the first programming course has been interesting. And, I also have fantasized of sysadmin stuff. It's the perfect blend of tech competency and wage slavery where I don't need to be a fucking system engineer making these super brilliant architectures like I know what it would even be. I don't need high pay, I don't want to think too hard. Just teach me how to make that server/system run stable and secure, teach me to do your bidding and I'm cool

i thought he was saying even in a worse case scenario he still wasn't ttressed out as in his project was late and overbudget but it still wasn't THAT bad.

Oh and I'm in Finland so idk where the fuck they teach sysadmin stuff. I think I might've seen like one course of it in uni, but other than that no.

I moved from a teaching position to programming.

I can basically just sleep half of my day while making triple the money because this shit is so relaxing and easy.

The only bad thing is 70% of the co-workers in this industry are turbo-autists or hipsters.

Which I guess is better than 50% of the teachers being flat out retarded.

Maybe I will just go be a comfy professor one day.

also a programming project can be years late and overbudget too.

it's just another form of engineering so... which would put just as much stress on developers as with another form of egineering. not only that but in proramming it's worse becuase epople think programming is easier then what it actaully is and expect a lot.

what do you have to program?

>went to trade school to study instrumentation and controls
>wanted to work at an oil refinery or plant maintaining the instruments
>oil crash, no jobs
>considering getting a CS degree now
>want to one day work in industrial automation with SCADA or DCS systems
>like programming but would hate working on some shitty silicon valley meme startup social media app

Is 25 too old to go to university? Are my goals realistic? Would be better off with an engineering degree?

>Would be better off with an engineering degree?
25 isn't too old. If you're in Europe you might qualify is a mature student and have grants awarded to pay for your tuition. There was a guy in his mid-30s in my Engineering class in uni.

You're literally never too old to do anything faggot

There are literal normies who have switched majors 6 times and spend 10 years in school

>doing an internship
>every day i pass the software development department
>40 people in cubicles just wasting their life working on usual enterprise web shit
its depressing, i didn't think i signed up for this

>is xx too old for university?

Geez I don't know. Let's say no major disaster happens and you stay in good health, so you're gonna be at least 70 before you could ever think about retiring. Most likely retirement won't exist 30 years from now and you'll just work until you drop dead.

An average person right now can reasonably expect to live up to his 90s, with some more medical advancements this might stretch even further within the next 70 years.

Do you think you're too old at 25 to actually do something worthwhile with your life?

if you can't spend at least some of your days in an average work week working from home it's not worth it

Tjing tjang loo tjing tjang loo tjing tjang loo lussilei

>lol i like programming
>but wait isn't programming actually boring?!
There is no answer, you either like it or you don't, just like literally everything else.

not too old, do it

Those people drop out. First year CS is literally hell.
It gets better, user.

Your first year classes are full of the "I want to make vidya games" and the "I'm going to make the next Facebook", peppered with a few womyns who want to stick it to the patriarchy by infiltrating the "boy's club" of STEM (who drop out and switch to Women's Studies).
They're all gone by about the second semester of your second year.

Now to your actual question of "Is software engineering as boring of a job as I think?"
The answer is: it depends.

It depends on what kind of environment you work in. It depends what you're actually working on. It depends on who your coworkers are.
If you can enjoy at 2/3, you have a good job. 3/3 is literally dream job tier.

But, like any other job, there are boring days. Bugs to fix, problems to solve, stuff to do? It's a good day.
Nothing to do? Shit sucks.

a guy in my class is a literal hacker as in, actively finds exploits in software and has submitted tons of bug bounties

That's about what I thought, after all the shit I've heard about anons interviewing people + other stuff I've read around. What the fuck do I put on a resume though if I literally have no history?

>liked it as a hobby, but now I think of a job
As a 34 year old, my best advice for you is not everyone should turn a hobby into a career. I program in my free time and work in an entirely different field. Being told to program something you don't care about can be an issue for some people.

How do you live (Food stamps, living with parents)?

probably with parents who are on food stamps

>hacker as in
how many definitions do you think that word has?

Is FizzBuzz really supposed to be difficult. I'm doing an internship soon and was doing some technical question practice, FizzBuzz took me like 30 seconds to come up with a solution, which is around the same time it took me to read load it and read it.

I don't think I'm that good a programmer even.

I love the idea or problem solving, thinking about different methods of solving those problems and implementing them in the most efficient way then running it to see the fruits of your labour.

Programming just sounds incredible.

No, it's just there to get rid of trash. Honestly as long as you know basic syntax, you should be able to wrangle out a solution that's a bit hard coded. I have no idea how so many people can not solve such a simple problem.

Neck yourself

why? i completely agree and share the same passion with him. plus, its a win for everyone else

Why are you so assblasted about other people having skills that you don't have?

This thread is a godsend, I wanted to ask you guys something similar.
The thing is I hate my job, I'll quit soon and I want to go back to school.

I'm interested in CS, but I'm not sure if that's the right major for me.
Any idea how I can find out if that major suits me?
I heard CS students have to suffer through incredible hard math, how hard is it really and is there a book or site or something that I could read, to get an idea what it is like?

I don't even care about money that much, I just want to a job that is interesting, challenging but still enjoyable, cause as you all know you'll be spending a big part of your life working.
I want to work on something worthwhile, rather than sitting on my ass doing nothing just waiting until I can go home.

All jobs are boring in the sense that they are repetitive. it's a part of what a job is.
programming is the one where you LOOK bored while doing, more than other jobs

>I just want to a job that is interesting
so what do you find interesting in life?

weebshit and technology

I don't see how I can make money with weebshit though.

Technology always interested me, I was working in a Power Plant before, but it became boring quick, cause once you know how it works it's the same shit everyday.

>I don't see how I can make money with weebshit though.
how bout applying technology with weebshit, but you gotta focus real hard on the tech part though.Technology could be game dev or web dev that focus on weeb culture.

Neither

Being a game dev sucks, web dev is okay but I don't really want to combine both.

I think doing something weebshit related is not a good idea especially in the west.

Focusing on a technology related job seems more rewarding.

not really. CS programs here in the US are stocked with gaymer autists who are there because they think reseating their RAM makes them a computer whiz, most of whom drop out or switch majors because they can't do math.

I have some friends at MIT and I've been there before, people aren't super autistic but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

well there is hacker like a person or thing that hacks or cuts roughly

Anyone?

Different user with a job. I don't have anything constructive to do. I don't have any desire to buy useless junk. What do.