/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Holy shit are those ugly and gawdy

They're also extremely rare and stupid expensive.

Basically a collectors item.

They also sound bad.

dumb shills

>point out ugly headphones look ugly
>shills

???

they were that price on Black Friday m8, which is a great deal.

Where's the anime?

Wish me luck Sup Forumsoys.

Also seriously overrated and fragile. Which means they're in decent demand by collector morons like me.

At least Floats are worse.

Jeez, start the thread with something attractive.

Those are nice, what's the comfort level like? Currently rocking mh40s

they're not. also overrated soundwise, but at least sound decent.

You buy them for the looks and muh rare collection.

That's a shame. Really trying to find something that hits comfort, sound, and actually looks decent. I'm digging the mh40s, but they're a bit heavy and they have a habit of rolling off when you tilt your head forward.

They are comfortable but you have to replace the pads so they aren't on-ear. They actually sound fantastic as well. I wouldn't say that's overrated at all. They're critical failing is the drivers are held in the frame by little tabs of 30 year old rubber that's fragile as fuck. They're also overpriced nowadays.

Other stuff from the same era Fostex series (those have a T30/T50 hybrid driver) are just as good with a little work. OG T50's are still overpriced, but you can grab T30's for decent prices on the extremely rare occasion they pop up as well as the T50 OEM clones like the NAD18.

I sold my SS-100 last year, but I'm actually wearing my modded T30's right now while I'm working on finishing my new electrostatic amp for my SR-007.

SS-100 is utterly overrated except for the looks. Change the on-ear pads to something bigger and you mess with the bass response and add peaks.

Old Fostex, OTOH, is not overrated. They're the only orthos that weren't all hype.

>Ebay currently has a coupon for 15$ off $75 or more
Which country? Where I live we have 10% site-wide and it ends in 6 hours and I still haven't ordered anything.

SS-100 is literally an old Fostex T50 with a T30 pattern diaphragm. The bass response sucks without over ear pads. It's pretty well damped so you don't get bad treble peaks when you add them.

>SS-100 is literally an old Fostex T50 with a T30 pattern diaphragm
There's more to a headphone than the parts inside the driver. It has ~ nothing else in common with the T30/T50.

>designed and built by fostex for sansui
>same drivers
>used the same yellow fiber biscuit damping as the fostex cans
>same ear pads
>same rear grill material

The only major difference was the rubber shit that held the drivers in the cups, which probably mean less resonance crap through the headband back in the day but is just a major pain in the ass now.

not as many parts are the same as you seem to think. I have several examples of both-- I might grant you the diaphragms, I haven't inspected them carefully.

Is 30 euros for the Brainwavz M1 (including shipping) good? How's the sound and isolation?

>repost from other thread

any good bluetooth over hear headphones on sale? looking for sub 100, sub 60 preferred. I want to use them to replace my wired headphones as my ipod has stopped giving me left speaker output unless I hold it which is really annoying when I'm on a bus or something.

I had both at the same time too. The SS-100 was purpose built and has slightly different dimensions for specific parts, but same materials and overall design. T50 individual magnet design instead of milled and the T30 serpentine diaphragm. The on-ear pads are the same design across the whole series, just slightly different diameter. The SS-100 was double damped like the 2nd model T50 and sounded vastly different than the underdamped stock T30 with its boomy bass.

They're all kissing cousins as much as all the modern square driver Fostex orthos.

Sennheiser has truly created something special here. It just goes to show how far headphone technology has come that you don’t need to spend hundreds on headphones, DACs, and amps, to get great sound.

Although these are a great value for $99 and even $150, I think there are areas where Sennheiser could improve the sound quality. As a point of reference, I currently own the Philips Fidelio X2, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (which are being replaced by these), and previously owned the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 598 SE.

The build of the HD598Cs is all plastic and an unusual feeling velour/pleather material on the earpads and on the outside of the earcups. The plastic is high quality though and has a good feel in the hand so I’m not complaining. The headband has a good amount of cushion but does put more pressure on the top of my head than the HD598SE. Overall, I think the HD598Cs are one of the most comfortable closed-back headphones.

Let me begin by saying that these are NOT audiophile headphones. Anyone who buys these expecting extreme detail and resolution will be disappointed. The HD598Cs provide a relaxed, yet balanced sound. There is absolutely nothing obtrusive about the sound. You can pump these at high volume and you won’t find a song that has piercing highs or disturbing lows. If anything, the mids are a bit forward making vocals very pleasant. Another thing I noticed was the soundstage, which is quite big for closed back headphones. I’d say the soundstage is close to that of the HD 598 SE (which are open-back). That’s an impressive accomplishment by Sennheiser.

The HD598Cs also have good spatial resolution (or imaging). When listening to good recordings, you can tell where vocals and different instrument are positioned. Again, props to Sennheiser on accomplishing this in a closed-back, $99 headphone.

However, the reason I said these are not audiophile headphones is because the HD598Cs lack frequency separation. The bass leaks into the mids and mids leak into highs. Some might say this makes them sound “muddy”, whereas I describe the sound as relaxed. It’s pleasant to listen to and for someone who hasn’t heard HiFi headphones, it will be amazing. However, for me, it was a bit distracting particularly in classical music. For instance, in a piano concerto, during a cadenza, I expect to hear the bassists, cellist, and drums in the low end; brass and woodwinds in the mids; violas and violins in the highs, and piano throughout these ranges. With the HD598Cs, the bass frequencies heavily bleed into the mids so it sounds like a loud smear of frequencies. This isn’t a deal breaker for me because I have the Philips X2s, which is one of the best at instrument separation, but if someone is looking for a single all-around headphone, this is not the one. The HD598Cs does many other things right and I loved listening to jazz, rock, R&B, hip hop, dance, and soundtrack music in them.

I’m keeping these because at $99, the HD598Cs are a steal and are still worth it at $150. They fixed all the issues I encountered with the HD598SE. With the open-back version, the highs were piercing and lows were abysmal. In my opinion, the HD598Cs are better than the HD598SE although some might say otherwise. Also, the HD598Cs do sound better than the Momentum 2.0 (wired); the HD598Cs have a bigger soundstage, better imaging, and the same clarity. Obviously, the Momentum 2.0 are more portable but that’s not a concern of mine.

So, if you’re looking for a fantastic sounding, closed-back, comfortable headphone, the HD598Cs are the ones to get.

I am so fucking tired of buying earbuds and having them break after a few months. I'm thinking of getting some lightweight headphones to wear while commuting. I am aware of the porta pro meme status but they're on Amazon for $40. Is there a better alternative?

Looks like cheap kit from two years ago which retailers are doing on 49.99% sale now after the 50% last year sale they did not succeed in clearing enough of their stock for these.

Don't. You'd look like an autist wearing that in public. Buy SE215's or somehing.

Porta Pros are not just awesome and a meme, but also come with the eternal Koss warranty where you can get a replacement for the cost of shipping when you inevitably hamhand them like you do your ear buds.

So, I've been using these HD598s for a while, and also have some somewhat shitty generic monitors that I can't identify because there's no identifying information. For some reason, I have always felt that these headphones are worse than my monitors (to the point that if I'm trying to listen to music, I end up feeling fatigued and take them off within 30 minutes every time), but I'm also convinced that these monitors aren't anything special, whereas I paid about 200 bucks for these a really long time ago. I used to have Grado SR60s a few years ago, and I have always felt that those sounded a great deal better.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I'm too broke to buy new headphones, is there anything I can do to try to reduce this fatigue? I'm not sure if it's just being spoiled by the open space that monitors bring to the sound, but it seriously makes me feel sick sometimes. I'm also interested in anything that can possibly make HD 598s sound better or different. Mods, DACs, you name it.

HD598 are horrible headphones, no wonder you find them bad.

no need for amp or DAC

just use an equalizer

So what mics do you guys use for your headphones?

>mics for headphones
Well I do have ModMic 4.0 as an option to clip on and AT2035 as a desk mic.