/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-JUBILEE-BRACELET-22mm-6309-7002-7S26-7548-DIVE-WATCH-SOLID-LINKS-NR116-/351774432965?hash=item51e763dec5:g:WYkAAOSwvg9XWvZs
ebay.com/itm/22mm-Super-Oyster-II-stainless-steel-Watch-Bracelet-for-Seiko-Diver-Skx007-/172421441195?hash=item28251e66ab:g:vdMAAOSwiDFYOHfa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for being too intelligent for diminishing returns

second for smartwatch master race

it's really a shame they never got around to designing a case and bezel for the royal oak.

You've still not explained yourself nig nog.

>parnis

he doesn't care about technology and has no place on this board. to him, timekeeping is magic. he is probably at least 30% non-white in ancestry.

Okay, well to you follows since the user I initially replied to has fucked off.

Please list the features that you consider "essential" when purchasing a watch. Realistically everyone's point of "diminishing returns" would be different depending on the features they want.

For me, I would like a sapphire crystal, mechanical/automatic watch with a robust movement that will not easily break under daily athletic shocks. I want a VERY good lume. And I want a solid end linked clasp.
What's the minimum this will cost me?

the watch must be a self-contained expression of the sun-seeking character and engineering ingenuity of the aryan race-soul

get the Obris memesplorer

Wow just looked at this, and it seems to fit the bill!! Thanks user.

micro brands in general will be your friend for this
check out NTH and steinhart as well

Probably some MarineMaster or watch that uses tritium vials.

D E E P B L U E
E
E
P
B
L
U
E

>Implying that shit is ever in stock
You'd think they'd at least order a bigger batch when they restock considering how popular they are

Scratch that. While marinemasters have great lume they don't use sapphire.

Grand Seiko diver then. You can get one for like 4k.

>the moon phase complication has an already crescent moon on it
holy shit you can't make this up
they had to know, they could not be not fucking with the people who funded this, I refuse to believe this isn't a joke

Well, might as well if you're going for a fake moonphase. You can see the sun rays on the day side poking out.

>diminishing returns
jeez. not you again
just find a new thread
did a watch raep your grandpa during the holocaust or something?

they're just making a quick buck with a semi-scam, what do you expect?

that's anti-semantic, user

why doesn't seiko make something automatic that isnt very expensive like this?

Hello from Dubai, dear anons.
>Yes, I know that's the shittiest photograph ever, but c'mon, it's from my cellphone and against the sun.

I'm on transit to go on an exploration trip to the black continent, and I'm taking my reliable beater, the Speedmaster Pro with me.

Cheers!

>the best I can push it up
>still shitty as fuck photo
Oh, well.

Come visit us lawyeranon.

We haven't had a terror attack in quite a while.

Where are you m8?

The beret pin says it all really.

Oy vey

i have never owned a moonphase watch and have no idea how they are supposed to look, and i can't find a moonphase timelapse of a watch on youtube

isn't this normal behavior, i thought it's supposed to tell you when its a new moon, waxing/waning etc. why wouldn't it show a crescent moon if its waxing.

A crescent can wane or wax.

A moonphase of that style should have the moon in the very center in the case of a full moon. As the moon wanes, the moon will move and slowly start to be eclipsed by the little hump at the bottom of the window. Eventually the moon will be completely eclipsed by the hump and it will be a new moon.

So this type of moonphase tells you if it's a crescent by you only being able to see a crescent of the moon.

Now the moonphase is actually a rotating disk, so right after the moon you've been watching drops behind the hump, you can expect the other moon to start poking out shortly, displaying a waxing crescent.

so for clarity. A moonphase disk should fully rotate once every two new moons. Meanwhile the watch that was made fun of has a disk that rotates once every 24 hours. The moon in that disk is painted as a crescent and instead of a 2nd moon they paint a sun. That is a day/night or am/pm indicator, depending how it's made. They display pictures of the moon side, and create a moonphase style aperture for the complication, because it's meant more to falsely represent something it's not, rather than actually be used.

Here's another moonphase. This one is more simply a circular aperture thjat a moon passes thru over the course of a month.

alright i get it thanks

Where can i get the watch on the left?

710059 Amphibia with an aftermarket boris bezel.

my new grail

>צעיר beret
Smh desu אחי

Hey /wt/

Just got this thing, been sitting in a drawer for years after my dickhead brother wanted an Xbox for his 18th more. Is it any good? Going to go get it fitted tomorrow

Well it's quite simply a disk that tells if it's day or night.

Something many people like, considering those disks are generally highly decorated and beautiful to watch, with deep blue backgrounds, silver clouds and golden little stars.

The one here is a terribly bad example, it's just a standard painted disk.

The problem with actual moonphase is that it's painful to set when the watch stops, which makes it completely retarded on a mechanical watch. And no matter how beautiful the moonphase disk is, it takes a full month to see it entirely. A day/night phase kinda emulates the feel of a moonphase, without being retarded.

probably worth between 100-200 dollars

and ugly as fuuuuuuu

Vintage digital Citizens can be quite expensive. This isn't the best looking one though.

Took some pics of my skx007 to sell, I ordered a new one with the jubilee bracelet to see what the fuss is about. It's actually cheaper for me to sell my old skx007 and get a new watch with jubilee already on than buying the bracelet seperately.

the jubilee bracelet is shit, everyone ditches it for a super oyster or other band at some point

ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-JUBILEE-BRACELET-22mm-6309-7002-7S26-7548-DIVE-WATCH-SOLID-LINKS-NR116-/351774432965?hash=item51e763dec5:g:WYkAAOSwvg9XWvZs

by the time you pay auction fees i doubt you will do it cheaper than just buying one for 25 bucks, remember ebay charges 10%

buy this, thank me later

ebay.com/itm/22mm-Super-Oyster-II-stainless-steel-Watch-Bracelet-for-Seiko-Diver-Skx007-/172421441195?hash=item28251e66ab:g:vdMAAOSwiDFYOHfa

I wasn't sure if the aftermarket cheapies were gonna be any good.

I know but lookin at the prices of the super oysters, it is a bit much.

I live down under so they dont ship to here. Other alternatives arent cheap.

Genuine jubilees seem to be going for 55 usd what a rip

just wait around on ebay, people are always selling them in slightly used condition because they are loose and rattly and shit so you can normally pick up a slightly used one cheap

too late hehe, put an ad up and then bought the jubilee version.

They are running a 10% off promotion Ebay Australia so I thought this was one of the few chances to get a new skx007 for as little money as possible.

Get da fuck outta Hong Kong

Spare famalam.

It's about time for a new picture.

How long did you have the Seagull and how do you find its reliability?

My n00bz collection

1/3

2/3

It's hilarious how bad of a scam these guys are running.

>pay now
>don't worry you'll choose your model later

You have no idea what you're getting and they don't tell you that their watches are quartz movements unless you pay extra later. But I guess this is actually keeping in line with the original kikestarter spirit.

aaaand 3/3

only a few months. I am sure it is a reliable enough movement so I don't think you should be too concerned. I am pretty sure the popular Rodina watch uses the same movement so perhaps a Rodina owner could chime in.

Also the Sea-gull brand has been around for a long while now. Anyways it costs nothing so go get one

Wait, they are all quartz? Haha holy shit how much a jew this can get

Looks like a day-night indicator, which is basically a disc on the pivot normally for a 24-hour hand. Basically a chinkshit-tier imitation of a moonphase using an off-the-shelf quartz movement.

>Needs a watch

>$100 to $200 limit.
>Wants a mechanical watch, with sweet glow in the dark action
>Won't beat the watch to shit, no navy seal action here; but won't beat the watch to shit
>Waterproof to six feet or so. Anything more than that, and I get what I deserve.

One more thing

>Don't faggot on me, Sup Forums.
>None of that "Well if you could bump your price range up XY amount..."

I need a watch /wt/

>automatic chronograph
>200m WR
>tachymeter
>Super-luminova
>domed sapphire
>solid-link bracelet
>$100 to $200 limit

Orient Makos/Rays tend to go for about $150 on eBay. Have a gander.

skx007, pics above from another poster

Waterproof, solid, beater tier, mad lume COOL! What else ya want boy?

You meant quartz?

just make sure to pick up the new version with hacking and handwinding

shit, have forgotten about that autist

amateur autist

here, u're my new hero

WHOOOOOSH

Lawfag, pls do me a favor and ask how the job market is for pharmacists is over there
Thanks
Also if you could ask how an American (that speaks arabic) can apply to jobs that would be great as well.
Don't ignore pls

Heads up, the non PADI pepsi turtle is on amazon for 330. Pick it up before they're all sold out
Also, the Deep Blue sale ends today. Last call for the most memed watch last thread
>AR coated Sapphire
>4R36 movement
>Superluminova
>Sunburst dial
>SKX look with multiple color options including a Doxa-like orange
All for $150

Also cheapestnatostraps has a 30% off sale, so if you get 5 straps it's 20%+30%

I don't think they're quartz, friend.
They have self-winding watches, they advertise.

hacking is a useless feature

They are already at 250 to 280₪ on eBay.

Plus you're mostly wrong, as do the Amazon descriptions.

The crystal is Hardlex, there isn't an orange turtle (yet™), and with the exception of the Padi turtle the dials don't have a sunburst effect.

>The problem with actual moonphase is that it's painful to set when the watch stops

No it is not.

the new model also got rid of the stupid pusher at 2 o'clock, updated the bezel to 120 clicks and improved the lume, so it is still a superior version

Oh cock, i misread the post.

Anyhow, the turtles are cheaper than thst by now.

He's not fat.

nice try fatty boy, you're as fat as an Invicta

no respectable human being has any business being in dubai

Oh shit you're right
I haven't checked ebay for a while, glad the prices finally dropped on this thing.
~260 is a steal for the srp777. It's a worse watch than something like the Deep Blue or a Helson but that turtle AESTHETIC makes it all worth it.
>tfw will never own a doxa cushion case

Yep.

>23 jews

IDF

It's as useless a feature as any other watch than f91 is

Well :^)

But the F-91W "hacks" too, stupid.

>that feel when your gf hardly wears the mechanical Seiko you bought her last year for Christmas
>that feel when she's now making noises about wanting a FitBit
>that feel knowing the Seiko is going to sit in a drawer somewhere for 20 years and it won't even be worth cleaning out all the gunked up oil at the end of it because the 7S26 is worthless even when new

So you never had to set one I suppose.

29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 2.8 seconds: that is the exact length of lunation, something NO MOON PHASE WATCH actually respects, for very obvious reasons, they just round it to 29 or 30 days, so you're off by one full day every two months. And how do you set it? Well you estimate the thing, or you put it on full moon, and then you count the number of clicks to the current state, if your watch sets it in little clicks. And obviously, a mechanical watch is likely to stop running some time over the course of a month, so you have to do this a lot.

If people wear a watch, it's to know the time, and they expect that watch to tell the time, without them having to tell the watch what time it is. That's the issue with a moonphase: you spend more time setting than checking it, so what use is it when you know it more accurately than your watch?

Day/night phases are set along with the hour hand, and they don't pretend to tell you something you don't know.

Get her something she wants not something YOU wanted.

Do you enjoy making shit up?

You tell me, I'm having trouble reading your counterarguments right now.

can I have the free 7s26 movement dude? I need a new one soon.

>because the 7S26 is worthless even when new

It's a good movement, why would you say that?

I know that feel all too well. I thought she might like a Seiko 5, she never wears it and I wish I'd got her an Eco-Drive or something.

Well he's mostly right: most watches round it, and very, very few very high end watches are accurate, with like a couple seconds of error every year.

But then, what's the point? Indeed it's likely to stop in the meantime, plus it's a mechanical watch, whose accuracy may fluctuate. And setting it precisely is still impossible, you're rounding it regardless. So really it's great that it's so accurate, because you'll never be able to set it accurately anyway.

Which is why the cheapest inaccurate moon phase watches are simply less retarded, because past that, it's just overengineering at its finest, and the apex of watchfaggotry. We have quartz today, if you want a moon phase, that's what you should get. If you want a nice looking rotating disk, a decorated AM/PM indicator will do the trick.

Moon phase is just pointless and even some of the most deluded watchfags admit it.

>stupid pusher
i'll fight you at basel

Watch noob here, is a fully mechanical watch the only way to get smooth second hand movement? Are there any quartz or affordable watches with smooth second hands?

Read what I said about a moonphase here.

>something NO MOON PHASE WATCH actually respects, for very obvious reasons
A moonphase disk is not one moon, it's two. You wouldn't need to "round it to 29 or 30" because it's two moons. The cheap and basic moonphases use 59 teeth for one rotation. You're not off by one day every 2 months, you're off by a day after closer to 30 months.

If you service your watch every 5 years, then you only need to set it once, around half way between services, or twice if it's not still wound when you get it back from service

But we've even talked about moonphase accuracy here before. Some moonphases would be off by a day only after thousands of years of operations. In fact, some watches get much more accurate moonphases. tens of thousands, all the way up to millions of years before it's off by an entire day. We've gotten such accurate moonphases that, if we were to operate them for that long, they would get less accurate over time due to the changing orbital period of the moon (over 30 seconds per period) that would cause concern before they're even off by a whole day.

All you did was assume that's how a moonphase was made, and then spouted it off, ignoring that the rotation of a moonphase disk covers two months, not one. You even go on to say "for very obvious reasons" but it's very obviously wrong.

Meanwhile, anyone who finds a moonphase, including a basic one, within their price range is also going to find a winder in their price range. So if they do have a large collection and can't keep their watch wound on their own, it's essentially a non-issue.