Was RSS feed killed on purpose?

I remember back in 2007~2008 that RSS was starting to become "mainstream", it was the most efficient way to keep track of multilpe blogs and websites.

Then google decided to kill Google Reader out of nowhere, combined with that, they also killed the Google Blog Search, which was a powerful tool to find underground blogs.

Majority of the browsers had a built-in RSS buttons to quickly save a website in your favorite RSS reader, they are gone now (unless you download an addon).

We went from:
>Sources coming directly to people through RSS
to
>People getting their sources from facebook

People rarely visit multiple websites now, they will resort to a very small pool of social medias services like Facebook and twitter and they just read what is shared there, but they won't be following the actual sources on a daily basis.

They made people dependent on social media, which is pretty good if you want to control the masses.

What are your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/feed/
evonomics.com/feed/
singularityhub.com/feed
boards.Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Killed because it was harder for sites to deliver ads and monetise their site.

rss despite all you valley wiggers and your memes is not dead and it will never die. LONG LIVE RSS

I was going to reply with somwthing along the lines of
>RSS never died
but you made a convinving post. A rarity on Sup Forums. I think the truth is somewhere around what you and said.

On the other hand, most sites still worth keeping up with still have RSS or Atom feeds, even if you might have to do a little work to find them. Social media hasn't quite become mandatory yet, thankfully.

/thread

What is the rss feed of the 2016 century?

>2016 century
Hard to say, we're barely into the 21st one yet.

Facebook.

It will be engines that curate the content for you. You no longer have to choose what to subscribe to. The botnet will choose what you would like for you.

twitter killed rss

Who fucking cares.

App notifications, and Social Media feeds killed RSS

It's still great for Downloading tho

I still use it for podcasts, manga scans, news and tv show episode releases

I wouldnt know how to live without RSS

I only recently got into using RSS after getting fed up with what OP described - the curated social media experience, where news articles are intertwined with random linkes of memes and inspirational quotes.

Although OP claims RSS is dead, most websites I skim do allow RSS, and I've been happily using mobile RSS readers.

Is it true, though, that websites can't monetise RSS? From what I've seen, they can pretty much link any number of random things and links through RSS. While modern centralised ad networks obviously don't work like that, there's nothing stopping websites from serving text-based ads the way Google does.

A bigger issue might be the fact that real money is gravitating towards gathering of personal data, usagei info and profiling. Facebook knows exactly how many seconds I spend looking at an article and what I skim over, whereas RSS only sees random anonymous users scraping every article from a website.

RSS sites recommendations anyone?
torrentfreak.com/feed/
evonomics.com/feed/
singularityhub.com/feed

Who said that rss is dead?

Nah RSS isnt dead, I use it for a lot of things but for automatic torrent downloads, it's incredible

Yes it is dead much like the way IRC isn't

Twitter is full of opinions and random crap
if I want to follow a content producer (YouTube, blogger, etc) strictly for their content I would 100% not use Twitter

everything worth following still has an RSS feed

Only plebs don't use RSS

But i totally get why an ad agency wouldn't want to promote it's usage

>mainstream
it was hard as fuck to set up for average users and was pretty much a power user tool.

it was never mainstream.

this^ and also they can't manipolate what feeds you recive through RSS as they can do through Facebook, Google News and other social aggregators.

It's not dead, but it's dying and I dread the day it will stop being used.
Right now I still use it for tech and photography news, youtube without having to use an account or even a browser at all, manga updates.

I've been even ridiculed by a friend "why do you use rss, can't you just subscribe on facebook?"
Call me autist but I prefer to have all my interest grouped locally on my machine instead of connected to an account to easily profile me.

The protocol isn't dead and autists will forever hack it to work even with sites that didn't natively support it, but it will never be as popular as it was in its peak.

The funny thing about all this is that bloggers and writers who wrote on site that kills it actually use rss feed aggressively to research for their articles.

Well RSS was too difficult to monetise. You couldn't monitor the people using it and serve them related ads as easily.

Snownews was the shit.

>fast
>concise
>all text no no bloat

What's your favorite RSS reader for linux, Sup Forums ?

Newsbeuter

>manipolate
Holy mother of kek.
> Muh nipple
We hold the same fears. Hopefully the concept of RSS will never die, even if the protocol itself does. Once we loose that, people will come up with something that will be able to scrape the sites for us. What I've noticed a lot of sites doing is maintaining RSS but not including the article in the feed itself, and instead a link to the article. It's a little annoying to have to go through an extra page load but if that's the price to keep my feeds I'm willing to pay it.

boards.Sup Forums.org/g/index.rss

Now you can always keep track of the desktop threads

I run tinyrss on my server

>terminal based
>vi commands
sold

Push notifications and apps killed RSS

>Push notifications killed sleep
ftfy

>really liked Google Reader
>closed down
>OldReader tries to mimick it
>it's good enough and free
>eventually enforces limits and inserts ads
>can't find a good self hosted cross platform client
I hate this.

i use feedly with gReader on android. the website is laggy as fuck but has gotten slightly better over the years. (on firefox at least, it's much better on chrome)

I'll give these a try, feedly would be nice so I don't have to maintain it but I'm so sick of services disappearing or getting bad that I'll probably just self host.

How are you guys recurring to third party services fine with them knowing all your interests?
What if those services suddenly close or change policies?
Tell me you at least have a backup copy of all your rss subscription on your machine.

I've thought about it and can't see any negative side of people knowing my interests, the worst they can do is sell it to advertisers which still doesn't bother me since I block most adverts. If one slips through I'd rather it be relevant to my interests anyway.

It also just seems futile to try and hide these things anymore, even if I don't tell them, someone will somehow. It's like when you don't give out your phone number or email address to anyone but your friends but it leaks from them anyway because they use some spyware bullshit.

I'm not recommending people be this way but it's my answer.

>How are you guys recurring to third party services fine with them knowing all your interests?

Because it's very convenient and I can't be bothered to set up my own server.
But I'll look at NextCloud eventually.

Are there any good Windows RSS readers anyway?

>Are there any good Windows RSS readers anyway?
there aren't any good RSS readers for anything user. it's a travesty

Yes there are. Inoreader web UI is good and FeedMe on Android is also good.

I'm just not up to speed with dedicated Windows readers.
A long time ago I used Opera, but it hasn't been updated since like 2012 so I'd rather try something else.

This is by far the thing that hurt RSS the most.

I use RSSOwl, but it's very bloated.
Maybe someon else could find all the extra functions useful though.
I used to use Opera too, and for a while I've used a Chromium extention that mimicked it's behaviour, but it's pretty bad at mass deleting feeds.

just because its not popular, doesn't mean its dead

I use Miniflux on my desktop.

I still use RSS mainly for my Weaboo shit and Gayme

Just installed it. Great RSS reader.