SSD wear meme

Post total write.

Other urls found in this thread:

ix.io/1IAn
vxlabs.com/2015/02/11/use-the-hardware-based-full-disk-encryption-your-tcg-opal-ssd-with-msed/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>being capable of even doing this because your SSDs aren't in a RAID

>using more than one SSD

literally retarded

is mine too old?

lol ok

Is there a tool for this on Linux?

>i run linux
>but am too retarded to figure out how to query SMART attributes
why do you fags even run linux if you cant google something simple or use the cli

Here borrow mine, no warranty: ix.io/1IAn

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 3,864 hours on.

>why isn't linux more popular?
>fucking casual user, why do you even use linux

>why isn't linux more popular?
I never asked this. The only reason linux is popular is the lack of licensing fees. And the only reason it is popular on consumer devices is when it has been dumbed down so hard that you have to void your hardwares warranty to access the CLI like on android phones.

That makes the first statement akin to "Why aren't there more people in the world who aren't incompetent?" which is totally valid.

>tfw my msata ssd is 23 degrees celsius above the fucking CPU
>it's not even running at sata3 speeds because my motherboard a shit
>tfw it's going to explode because samshit
Why the fuck did i listen to the Samshills

gsmartcontrol

How to total writes?

Or is it because the controller on my ssd

I'm fine, right?

Bought it December 22nd last year

in the same boat, user
I audibly kek'd

Are you people even using the thing?

We treat them like our first-born. So of course our SSDs are coddled.

>download this
>my seagate external 2 TB has been on for 3 years of use
>still good health

Damn.

Only the OS and Overwatch is installed.
Should I bother putting other stuff in it? Cubase, VSTs and other games?

I have all of my programs and do all my development on that ssd.

>tfw Linux doesn't have a Shizuku-chan

got it april 2015

Memetez 3 still going strong.

Why even live?

>44 years remaining

yeah right fag. you yourself won't even live that long.

desuu~

It's there to serve as a reminder that I should stop being so conservative with SSD writes.

You're right tho, it's closer to 200 years, but the lifetime % smart value only reads 99% instead of a more accurate ~99.8%, assuming a very conservative estimate of 2000 total rewrites / 512TB written (same type of SSD withstood 15x that in a stress test).

Model : SanDisk SDSSDHII240G
Disk Size : 240.0 GB (8.4/137.4/240.0/240.0)
Power On Hours : 10067 hours
Power On Count : 775 count
Host Reads : 20030 GB
Host Writes : 14244 GB
NAND Writes : 8349 GB
Health Status : Good (100 %)

You have more hours clocked than them.

SSD wear is a meme. Been fucking my SSD in the ass forever and it still runs without any flaws.

wew lad

Who's comfy here in winter. SSD below 30c

What did you do to get 134TB write?

Has anyone here actually had an ssd fail yet? Like, even when they fail, they just go read-only so who gives a shit?

In those controlled write tests, they usually brick after they reach their limit. But only after obvious tell-tale signs show up (many rellocated sectors).

I fell for the SSD meme, I'm going to stick with mechanical hard drives from now on.

3 years running.
I also have a retired 60gb SSD from the time they first really hit the market, still runs fine with total hours and writes higher than this one.

Come at me.

Not at home rn, but:
250GB Capacity (Samsung 840)
A little under 24,000h power-on time
13TB of writes.

Health reported as "Good" in Samsung Magician.

Should I start panicking?

Plextor master race

>tfw can't see my ssd writes/reads

>it's closer to 200 years
>ahahahahahahahahaha

You SSD cucks are in full denial. The speed decreases 20% in just the first 6 months, SSDs are throwaway storage units.

>The speed decreases 20% in just the first 6 months
>what is TRIM
how was your time machine trip? which year are you from?

Most of it is from the many database conversions I deal with.

Heck, there's SSDs with automatic garbage collection so the user doesn't have to fuck around with it anymore.

I have a Crucial M4 from 2012 that I put in my sister's macbook which she's used everyday. I can only imagine what it would say in crystaldisk. I'll have to check it out sometime.

SSD related question:
If I allocate ~90% of my SSD (let's say 100 of 120-128 GB), will the remaining (unallocated) part be used for TRIM and other optimisation n' stuff?
I have no need for the extra space, and I like to keep my partition sizes round.

>what is TRIM

Something that when used as a non-queued command takes a lot of time.
Something that when used as a queued command causes severe data corruption.
Something that you can use to tell where is data and where isn't in an encrypted volume.
Something that doesn't work with Linux.
Something that still doesn't prevent the 20% speed reduction in the first 6 months.

which year are you from?

Obviously older than you.

SMART WRITE LOG does not return COUNT and LBA_LOW register
SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed

Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: 48-bit ATA commands not implemented
Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed

rip OSX, it only shows my 12351 hours.

You don't need to leave free space anymore. Pratically all SSDs nowadays have some hidden space for that.
You're so full of bullshit. First of all, you don't even need TRIM anymore because nowadays most non-crappy SSDs have controllers with proper Garbage Collection algorithms.

>Something that when used as a non-queued command takes a lot of time.
It takes a few seconds on SSDs with GC and max. a couple of minutes on bad SSDs, what the fuck are you talking about?
>Something that when used as a queued command causes severe data corruption.
Yea, maybe if you have a crappy Samsung SSD because they can't into Firmware.
>Something that you can use to tell where is data and where isn't in an encrypted volume.
vxlabs.com/2015/02/11/use-the-hardware-based-full-disk-encryption-your-tcg-opal-ssd-with-msed/
>Something that doesn't work with Linux.
fstrim
>Something that still doesn't prevent the 20% speed reduction in the first 6 months.
it does, you are stupid. is that what you always do even though you have no clue about this subject? throwing technical terms at people ?

I am and my SSD runs just as fast as when it was new.

I know I don't need to do it, I'm just asking if that's 100% pointless if I will do it anyway.
What's the point of having "111.47 GB" while I can make an ideal 100GB one (and still use maybe half or less)

>I'm just asking if that's 100% pointless if I will do it anyway.
What kind of SSD do you have?

several:
-120 gb for os
-256 for data
-512 for games
same as above but w/o 512 in laptop
a few other lying around and serving me as portable drives

I'm dualbooting btw, so the os ones are split in two (50+50)

It simbly twerks

Sorry, wasn't I precise. I was asking for the brands/models.

My XLR8 was good for about 2 years then the write speeds on it plummeted significantly. One day it was fast as hell then the next it was slower than my regular hard drive. I did a secure erase on the SSD with parted magic and it didn't restore any speed to it.

>OCZ

Oh, sure.
samsung 850 256 gb (pro in desktop, evo in laptop)
kingston hyperx3k 120 - boot drive in desktop
corsair hs 120 (not sure ?) - boot drive in laptop
crucial cx200 500 gb - "gayming drive" in dekstop
one more hyperx3k, one more crucial (not cx200 tho, something older I believe) as spare drives
That's it, I believe.

I'm mostly working with data containers located on my "data" (256G) drives, boot drives are just there to keep OS alive

ikr? Still just werks.

All of your drives have proper controllers, there's no need to worry about the 100% thing or actually anything.

I correct myself since you asked for it: Not only don't you have to worry, it's actually pointless to leave free space.

>no money to buy a new one
>external is full
How fucked am I?

Good to know, thanks.
Anyways, I'll probably still keep making the largest round-size partition possible and leave the rest unallocated.
fashion > stats

Is it a backup or the only set of data you have?
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5tb which is notorious for failing. Out of the 4 I started with one remains and it's going stronk even with 24 reallocated sectors. I have backups though so I'm not worried.

If this is the only copy of your data then find money for backups or be prepared to lose your data either in the next few hours or months. It's a gamble.

get used one for a literally few bucks and backup all your data
2 ticking bombs have rather small chance to explode at the same time

Nice chinkshit garbage

>I defragment my SSD

Yeah, the only backup I have is for wallpapers on the cloud and my 3DS NAND. Guess I'll watch some anime in order to get space on the external and shove the important stuff there.

I havent trusted a single hard drives for over a decade now. Doubling everything has saved my ass multiple times. I know it's more expensive but either you can afford to lose your data or it's simply not important enough to warrant buying a second drive for.

NVMe consumer SSDs are a meme.

Can anyone recommend good ways to encrypt a home folder on an SSD? I hear using the standard ecryptfs option is a bad idea for SSD and causes issues with TRIM. Is setting a BIOS password on a Samsung 750 Evo enough to do the business?

I don't know what any of this means.
It's a WD Green that came in a prebuilt that I've had for seven years now, used daily.
Is this bad? Should I get a new drive?

Your SSD does not have the F1 attribute that keeps track of the total number of bytes written to it.

It's not even solid state.

That's good and all but it has become an obsession to me, i backup everything on 3 different drives,
that means that when i fill 4tb of data i need to buy 3 more 4tb, and believe me i do fill them, and they are all eromanga eroges and jav, goddammit.

It's bad. Throw it out the window before it explodes.

Actually no.

HDDs don't track the number of writes because they have an infinite number of write cycles. CrystalDiskInfo shows you all SMART attributes in hex. All the important attributes are at 0. You're doing fine.

How can I see this information on OS X?

Cannot into /dev/sd{a,b,c}?

>even when they fail, they just go read-only

Except that's wrong, retard.

It must be tough being mentally retarded.

Thank you. I might still pick up a 3TB drive for $70 on sale, just in case.

Like I said either it's important or it isnt. I have about ~22tb raw storage which is just under 11tb usable space. Are you running enterprise rack gear yet?

Don't buy 4tb drives. 3tb Toshibas are way cheaper than anything else.

How do Toshibas rate against WD and Seagate? No one ever mentions them.

I can either get a 4tb 5400rpm wd red meme drive for £130 or a 3tb toshiba 7200rpm for £70. I regret falling for the Red meme and should have instead bought some used 12bay DAS and bought 12x3tb Toshibas.

Most HD manufacturers have had slip ups. The only drives to fail on me so far are Seagate and WD but I've also owned more WDs and Seagate's over the years too.

I say if you don't care about performance too much then find pretty much any drive you want, if you want some performance go for the cheapest 7200rpm. Don't fall for meme labels like NAS or Green or whatever fucking bullshit they try to attach to it to inflate the price.

I don't know what any of this means

Is it good or bad? I've had the drive for around 5 months now

Fuck forgot image

>GOOD
>100%
>wat does it mean guis?

Apply yourself

Kill yourself.