AMD cpu for high core requirement

Apparently home surveillance with real time motion detection etc, is more dependent on cores than clock speeds. So I'm thinking I'll get an 8-10 core AMD thing instead of a 4 core i5/7.

Bad idea or worst idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113304
forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?t=21572
github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/pull/479
forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25048
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How cheap are opterons these days?

>Bad idea or worst idea?
Because you're PC's primary purpose is doing motion detection? Because you have 100 cameras you need to motion detect with?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113304

12 core, $410
The full 16 core chips start under $700. Its harder and harder to find the higher binned chips. I think they're out of production since no one bought them.

Upto 16 FHD cams.

The box will primarily run zoneminder, but I'll probably also run it as a cloud server for my file storage maybe.

>Upto 16 FHD cams.
I still dont understand why you would need that for so few cameras

A hyperthreaded Skylake i7 with it's 8 threads would shit all over an FX 8350. 4C/8T vs 8 "core" / 8T, the intel is still throwing way more IPC.

Zoneminder's very power hungry apparently. I'm not taking any chances. I can always delegate more tasks to my home server if it had processing power to spare.

Twice the price though. I think a mid range i5 would be the direct competitor would it not?

Heck, I would love to have a chance to use a Xeon, but it's too expensive and the number of users here is too few(in case of troubleshooting).

>the number of users here is too few(in case of troubleshooting).

Sup Forums - Tech Support

ideally you want this this is what my second subsystem looks like well the one that handles most of the shit around the house
i also have the primary one that handles the critical autmation solar panels bla bla
and the main one just for the pcs around

Get a cheap dual xeon server on ebay for like $200

This.

I bought a 14 core 28 thread has well Xeon from China for £270 delivered. Not an ES either.

The 8-12 cores were much cheaper, sandy bridge was cheaper too. Still shits on AMD. Zen may change this if you want to wait OP.

Depends on the software itself.

If your software can take advantage of 8 cores, then AMD cores are cheaper than Intels.

Most programs cant, however there are certain programs that can and will be better off, if you want to specialize in certain tasks.

Could give us a rundown on those apps? Too lazy to individually search them.

mostly media shit only the zoneminder and home assistant is for security/cameras and various automations for the media shit on my house
also no deluge anymore that shit is pure cringe i replace it with qbittorent

That's a bit excessive. My computation requirement is less since I will be running this unit headless.

I've got a different system for casual media streaming, which is what I will be viewing the actual cctv footage on(along with xmbc and other things)

OP here. Yeah, I've decided to not bother with AMD for now. The chances of substandard performance are too high based on Sup Forums and other reviews.

I'll probably get an i5 based setup now. It's cheaper than an equivalent Xeon setup, and it has an IGPU for when Zoneminder starts offloading some video processing to the GPU.

not really this is just a base for future expansion this will keep me happy for at least 7-8 years

samefag if you will have only 14 cams and i guess some of them will be lower than 720p..any cpu equal to a fx6300 will be enough
IF you want a system only for zoneminder alone..

now if you want 14 cams on full hd all the time well no an i5 wont really cut it not to mention that you really will need a beefy paraller gpu aka something at least above of a 290...

Motion detection is easy peasy. A mini-itx with integrated cpu (tdp ~12W) will be sufficient.

You sure buddy? I'm just going by some posts on the ZM forums where they run 4 cams on an i5 at 20%.

Now assuming with some fps tweaks(6-8fps ok?), and some cams running without motion detect(full time record), I should be able to manage at 80%?

Also, how will a gpu help with ZM? Afaik, the entire video processing including decompression is handled by the cpu.

I don't think you know how surveillance systems work. Get out of here with your gaymur shit

In his defense. If surveillance is computational heavy all of the sudden then a system good for gaymen would be good for surveillance as well.

thats the thing about automation..
there are certain flags that permit gpu util under certain codecs
also the problem is a bit complex
forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?t=21572
the perfomance of this shit is all over the place

Just going through ZM's github, it seems like Onvif support has been added to ZM, but optionally(needs to be added during compilation)

Basically, the motion detection work can be offloaded to the camera, with the ZM server only having to record the feed when it receives an event notification trigger. This should lessen the server's workload considerably.

github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/pull/479

Just to add, apparently a script(written in fucking 2014) is required to read event notifications from the cams.

forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25048

Not to sound rude or ungrateful, but ZM might be the slowest moving FOSS project I've ever seen.