The solarized meme

Why is "solarized" so popular? The colors are horrible. Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

observer.com/2015/02/meet-the-man-behind-solarized-the-most-important-color-scheme-in-computer-history/
youtube.com/watch?v=CP_4ZJEIH3U
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>stop liking what I don't like

>Why do people having tastes that differ from mine?

Fuck off Kevin

doesn't explain the popularity

I think Solarized Light is nice.

It's easy on my eyes.

more like gaylarized lol

Its a dark theme thats easy on the eyes and not "too dark". Plus its shipped standard with most text editors

No deep reason why its popular. Its everywhere and enough people think that its good enough

Nice loading of the question, fuckstick.

like your title said, it's a meme. It all started because some dumbass made a shit colorscheme then after decided to defend it with shit, fake science. Morons on HN and other places fell for it and started using the ugliest colorscheme ever.

t. Tomorrow-(night) user

>Tomorrow
People in glass houses, etc.

>popular
its not
its fucking shit and the only people who actually use this are tryhards

observer.com/2015/02/meet-the-man-behind-solarized-the-most-important-color-scheme-in-computer-history/

just found this. He actually passes himself off as some kind of genius and people buy it.

I chose it because it's simple and dark. I could switch to something else as long as it had those traits. I like my vim looking like my shell colors

Tomorrow night bright is the best color scheme ever

Jesus that guy is an utter wanker. I feel dirty for having used Solarized for so long.

>most important color scheme in computer history
That reads like satire. Amusing.

>all that time spend coding for nothing when I could have just been famous by creating a color theme

>calling it coding
Don't worry, you weren't doing anything worthwhile.

>how you call it makes a difference

I guess I could have called it being an "entrepreneur" but that would have sounded twice faggiest.

>Sup Forums
> Is X a meme?

>Sup Forums
> Redpill me on X

Solarized is popular because, as you can easily guess, its name is similar to Solus, the greatest distro out there, which although newish is trending everywhere and everyone fell in love with it.

That's a pretty common color palette though. I mean, what he did is the equivalent of picking a bunch of stock pictures, exposing them in a museum, and calling yourself a brown film genius.

Can't remember what it's called, there are many such palettes created by painters mostly, but also architects. Bunch of colors that look good together. The "Solarized" color palette is, as you may notice, the same as the base theme palette in MS Office starting 2010. Or Gnome's Tango terminal colors. You can also see it in many other areas. It's getting more and more "trendy", bceause they're in tune with the current era, but it's only one such palettes out of many, and picking it is no grand achievement.

I myself use a Fahrenheit palette, with dark brown, deep red, dark orange, amber and bright gold. Pretty dank desu.

I prefer jellybeans

Soda Light + tomorrow color scheme is best

base16-ocean master race

This kills the eyes

install solus u fuckterds

go away kyle

Which font is that?

Why even ask? It's garbage.

when u reach maximum lvl, u solarized all u GUIs and never look back.

>Why
Hipsters need to pretend that sleep deprivation is cool, that way they can hang around in Starbucks and drink 6 cans of Redbull a day. They even code in a language called CoffeeScript because being dependent on caffeine is so sweet man.

How are you going to interrupt that quality sleep time without staring into FUCKING BLUE pixels for the entire day and night?

>Morons on HN and other places fell for it and started using the ugliest colorscheme ever.

I started using it because I went through all the color schemes that came installed in my system it was the least shitty to my eyes. Green on black was too much, and I get sick of very dark grey on black for everything.

no! soda light+mac classic master race!

I mean grey on white

Disgusting

>Why is "solarized" so popular?
Because it's pretty to look at and also versatile. Dark at night so it doesn't fuck up your eyes, but also solid and not completely black so that you can still see great in daylight.
>The colors are horrible.
Objectively untrue. The colors are beautiful.
>Am I missing something?
Yes. Taste.

>he doesn't use Cathode and pretend it's the 70s
youtube.com/watch?v=CP_4ZJEIH3U

f.lux is a placebo anyway. doesn't actually work. you'll just be sleepy anyway. sleep deprivation is sleep deprivation. all it does is make everything look ugly.

>at night
>doesn't fuck up your eyes
Blue light. Not even once.

Ok

>can
>may
>might
>could

Sure is weasel word in here...

>f.lux is a placebo anyway
Okay, keep sacrificing years off your life to the blue hue Jew.

>sources
>various journals

That infographic is full of shit.

Sources: Science, Nat. Science, Phys. Science, Nature, Nature Psychological, Nature biological, The journal of intermediate shitposting and forensic being constantly right about everything, and The Journal where we only publish things that are true na ne na ne na this is a real journal.

My point being that specific research papers are sources, journals are not.
It's the exact same shit as 'my dad works at nintendo'

Z E N B U R N
E
N
B
U
R
N

It's worse than that. It's barely even making claims.

"Researchers are investigating whether or not blue light could lead to cataracts". There's probably a researcher out there looking into if tantric sex with animals cures AIDS. That doesn't mean it's true.

At least flux links to actual research papers- even if those papers don't actually show what flux is claiming.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/

>if tantric sex with animals cures AIDS
>implying it doesn't
What are you, retarded?

Solarized Dark is pretty shit. Light is okay, I guess.

>he enjoys staring at a lightbulb all day
Can't understand people who use a light background.

>theme doesn't even highlight attributes
What's the point then?

Depends on your working environment.

I really dont understand how people can use themes with light backgrounds. Visibility is subjective (unless you take something horrendous like yellow on white) but any light theme will feel terrible after at least a few hours.

If you are on your PC for 2-3 hours max. a day I guess that's fine, but anyone doing 10+ hours of work in a programming environment should know better.

Also #333333 as background is master race

This. Light theme "coders" are posers.

Stop being dense.

Light background with black context means more light getting to your retina.
In a reversed scenario you get less light which mean your eyes have to focus more on the context for the image to be detailed enough.

If what you said was true, entire workforce on the planet would prefer to spend their workday in dimly lit buildings instead of light that tries it's best to immitate the conditions of overcast day.

fuck off about teaching me about the retina.
I am a master race and I will manage my own eyeball rate of decay and/or health during the time I am healthy enough to program computers during my useful lifespan. In the meantime, I want to look at text, pixels, syntax highlights and things of the sort that are *GOOD*! Ones that MATTER! Ones that are PLEASING TO MY aesthetic sensibilities and conduces to my generating more amazeballs code productivity, and I won't have you half-assed, too-lazy-to-customize-my-own-workstation plebs backwards-rationalizing to me based on some ad-hoc pseudoscience as to why your editor looks dumb as shit, and your retinas feel (((SO GOOD))) compared to mine.

>not discriminating which light enters your retina
The reason the entire workforce on the planet doesn't work in dimly lit buildings is because HR are clueless fuckwanks. Not because it wouldn't be significantly better.

10/10

Whitebg fags need to go back to /reddit/ and play in Microsoft Word

I may have quoted the wrong post, but apply my comments to whoever was advocating their retarded-tier, generic black and white theme like it's some testament passed down from god, when we all know the real reason is they suck at coding, don't take time, care or attention to detail to anything they do, and don't belong in the coding profession.

I swear, if one more person tries to autism-splain to me why plain vanilla backgrounds with stupid boring black text is somehow 'better' than a thought-out, professionally designed and artistically stylized theme, I'm going flip over my Mt. Dew.

>because HR are clueless fuckwanks.
You sound like one too, cause light conditions at the workplace is hardly a concern for HR.

Humanity evolved to work during the day and sleep during the night.

It's a very calling color scheme.
It soothes my inner autistic rage like a beautiful spruce forest on a dark and drizzly morning.

>light conditions at the workplace is hardly a concern for HR
>t. someone who has never worked a day in his life

Try being partially colorblind and you will quickly see the appeal.

Nice projection buddy but no, here HR are dumb female bottom feeders.

State Work Inspectorate and their OHS inspectors are concerned with this.

in what shithole occupational safety is something that human resources are concerned with?

africa?

The occupational safety company

This.
Everything else is just inferior.

vomiting_anime_girl.png

Solarized light colors are great desu.

solarized is so fucking bad

I have my own version of solarized light, which has better colors.

Show us a screenshot you fucking tease

Well, post it.

I'm a meme in /dpt/, can't have people criticizing me.
But it has better colors.
I also use redshift, so I'm not sure if what I see is what you'd see.

Take a good look, you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Well it's weird that you care so much about what neckbeards and fags on here think of you, but okay. I suppose the redshift thing makes sense though.

>menlo
>retina-burning colour scheme
>go

It's fira mono, not menlo

anybody know a small bold font little vertical gaps that actually looks good?

Really? Weird.

Hmm that's actually not half bad, might have to try and recreate it.

It looks perfect if you got a good display and an OS that can into font rendering.

Looks like solarized with a piss filter.

>runs gentoo
>can't spell "before"

Why is it even called solarized?

Solar implies bright orangy sun colors, not dark blue

Solarized Light looks more fitting of the name. Maybe he made that first? Then he realised that most koders like edgy dark themes even when working in well lit rooms.

Wow. I like Solarized but this article is total masturbatory bullshit.

I dont agree. I didnt even know f.lux is supposed to help you get sleepy when I got it, I noticed it did on my own.

I only got it so my screen wouldnt be so bright at night.

standard 16 colors palette has the highest contrast, especially on black. anything else can go printf ++ | base64

Monokai master race.