go outside
install gentoo on the nearest inanimate object

>any advice/tips?
cancel the download

>Don't hear to the first replys
>Install Desktop Scroller and other good extensions
>Install a good theme
>Enjoy your nice OS

op here, if mint is not good then whats a nice beginners linux?

I have Linux Mint, and I'm severely butt blasted by these accusations of it being an insecure, unprofessional distro. But I don't want Ubuntu, and I don't know of any other debian based distro that uses Apt and is easy to install and run.

I have a feeling I'll be installing Gentoo very soon

I would say Ubuntu MATE

This Really though, any Ubuntu except Kubuntu should work.

Solus if you're on a desktop

solus-project.com

>Solus
>no packages
>have to compile everything from source
>beginner friendly

Fuck off, Kevin.

>any advice/tips?
install Arc theme and you're good to go. it's by far the best distro out of the box. Pretty much everything just works.

kys

OP again, im now looking at gentoo.
would a person with very minimal programming experience be able to use gentoo?
my experience is only being able to code hello world

Mint isn't insecure at all, it gets all security updates if you choose to install. that debian guy takes 7 paragraphs to say "m-mint renamed a p-package so the old p-package doesn't work in mint"

their website got hacked

i get every security Ubuntu does. go ahead and hack me bro. assuming you're running a personal computer Mint is way more secure than windows so who gives a shit

nothing bad will happen. turn on firewall

dear kevin, kys.

Kek

What?
But... Pic related...

I'm amazed at how assblasted Sup Forums gets when a legitimately good distro is recommended.

Linux Mint was pretty good for me, I installed it about 2 months ago. I actually configured it to play New Vegas through WINE when I was unable to troubleshoot it on Windows 10 (came with the laptop). Recently switched to Debian and I'm still having trouble updating the kernel/getting wifi drivers without breaking the goddamn system. If I'm not able to fix the shit tomorrow I'll probably just switch to Ubuntu

You also install "red" kernel updates?

Also this.

But I'd like to point out there's no point in using mint if you're not going to use cinnamon.

tips:
>turn on firewall after installing.
>disable hot corners that shits gay and guaranteed to annoy you
>figure out what ctrl alt up, ctrl alt left right do the workspaces are neat
>go to software manager and install some gaymes
>sudo apt install screenfetch
>sudo apt install scrot
>software manager install qbittorrent
>turn off "window tiling" that shits gay and guaranteed to annoy you
>configure your update manager to show all updates. i've never had system break from installing level 5's and i'm on same install from 17.1 to 18
>if you run into problems google problem with word Ubuntu in it. 99.9 percent of time that's where you find the fix

>install Ubuntu not a shitty fork

yes i install everything, lots of people do. i don't have proprietary drivers at all on my computer and it seems most of the bugs that occur happen to people with them.

don't hate, reddit.com/r/linuxmint is better place to ask q's or just read about potentially system breaking shit

>lists 11 packages
>three of them are different versions of the same program
>l-look at all my packages, g-guys!

I'm not even saying that Solus is a bad distro. But it's a fact that its package list is rather small; as such, saying it's a good distro for beginners is just misleading.

>figure out what ctrl alt up, ctrl alt left right do the workspaces are neat

Install Desktop Scroller but in the Cinnamon extension, not in the panel extensions. You just have to take your mouse to the left and right monitor and scroll. The best thing on Cinnamon. Try it!

>shitty fork
>second biggest userbase and most are Ubuntu expats because Unity sucks and Amazon botnet and in bed with microsoft

Few people install kernel updates marked red. I know it for sure. This is the most insecure thing about mint at this point.

that would drive me crazy if it does what I think it does :)

>this is what mint shills actually believe

i always update the kernel, if you break your system you can roll it back

or you could go to the linuxmint forums or reddit.com/r/linuxmint and see if the new kernel update is killing people's machines before you install it

i believe i have 16.10 Kubuntu on my desktop and a Mint 18 on two laptops. thumbdrive in my pocket, i know which one sucks and is buggy as fuck and which one is getting btfo'ed when i feel like it

Thats not my point. Mint holds user's hand preventing him from applying security updates.

Thanks, but I'm not installing it again.

Okay, what's not there that the average desktop user would need?

>internet browsers
Got it

>office?
Got it

>image editors, video, and audio editors
Got it

>torrent client
Got it

>text editors
Got it

>games, steam, and emulators
Got it

What did I miss?
It's barebones compared to Ubuntu, but it's got what most desktop users would need.

Just stop before you embarrass yourself even more. I only made one suggestion recommending it if he's on a desktop and you faggots blow it up.

There is literally nothing wrong with Solus as a standard use desktop OS.

fuck cinnamon, its a resource hog. Try mate instead

>fuck cinnamon, its a resource hog. Try mate instead
>> MATE. it literally wipes the floor with it. MATE is fucking garbage. Even Xfce4 is better than MATE.

or you could simply select the updates in their graphical update manager and click install... that's what I do

it doesn't bother me that Mint doesn't want casual users to break their email machines and it doesn't bother me that mint ships with proprietary multimedia codecs. i think those are pluses

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

ok so the readme file is a .diskdefines
How the fuck do i open that file?

No PPAs, AUR, or OBS

Cinnamon takes more like 330 mb on mine. MATE is definitely less resource intensive, but yeah it's not as nice as Cinnamon... wouldn't say it "sucks" though, it works fine

You can opt out of the codecs anyway

true. it's funny read that Debian guy's picture that is always posted in mint threads... he says "they can't distribute in the USA bc they ship with proprietary codecs" literally wtf is he talking about? They literally do. 4th most used OS on the planet

>It's barebones compared to Ubuntu

Thank you for agreeing with me. This is what I was trying to say in the first place. When I tried Solus on my VM, it didn't really have any packages that I wanted.

>no Pale Moon
>no Vivaldi
>no alien, so I couldn't even install .rpm packages from online
>no redshift
>not even cmus

Sure, it could work if you wanted exclusively the most popular stuff (Chrome/Firefox, LibreOffice, basically what's default installed), but it's kind of lacking beyond that.

Also, you're talking as if I ever said Solus was a bad distro, even though I specifically said that wasn't the case. Solus is more for people who are somewhat used to Linux already but want something different that just works.

They dont ship the OS with codecs anymore as of mint 18. They are doing it ubuntu way now - a post install script asking user if he wants the codecs

Solus is Budgie

Mint is Cinnamon

but Mint also is basically Ubuntu so you have the noob friendliness and massive majority of Linux community to rely on to help you out

I admit that Solus/budgie looks very nice but I don't want to full on run a distro without a huge community. Might tinker around in a VM with it

>Might tinker around in a VM with it
hope you like your botnet

It's got vivaldi now iirc.

Still don't see why a simple suggestion resulted in such a fucked up response. It's a nice distro, I use it and it works well for what it is.

OP here, about to boot mint up for the first time,
hope i did it right.
Wish me luck

Does it? If so, that's a great addition on their part.

As for the fucked-up responses, that's probably due to the fact that Solus is mentioned all the time on this board, so people get annoyed at its mere mention. Not that my own initial response wasn't fucked up, but at least I can say I provided some legitimate criticism of the distro.

You probably did it right. Linux Mint isn't super hard to install.

Your criticism wasn't wrong, it's
That doesn't make any sense

more like Sol"them"

this is a Mint thread

installed it yesterday on muh x220.
Seems to be pretty decent. Always had ubuntu before though it aint that much of a difference

I once tried linux.

It was fun to play around with, but then I discovered I'd have to replace my student version of 3DS Max with Blender and Photoshop with GIMP.

It's nice as a toy OS, but absolutely shit for productivity.

What equivalent does Solus have to PPAs and the AUR

>mentioned all the time

Okay, so, in every Linux recommendation thread it's okay to suggest
>sabayon
>Arch
>manjaro
>antergos
>Fedora
>Various BSDs

But as soon as Solus pops up people start spazzing?

Calm down, it's just a Linux distro...

It's great for programming, multimedia, and general normie use though

>It's nice as a toy OS, but absolutely shit for productivity.
Hardly fucking depends on what you are doing.
For system-/network-administration it is brilliant though.
I hate some parts of linux too, but most of a time it fits me quite well desu.

No shitposting inside. I have been a long enough windows user

believe it or not, you aren't the first person to observe that Photoshop isn't on Linux

there are lots of programmers and server type guys that like linux and consider it productive

i'm unproductive and Linux helps me be unproductive faster and more efficiently without adware

I'm sorry guys, I was trolling, but suddenly a huge feeling of guilt came over me.

Please don't reply to that shitpost, I'm sorry.

le ebin drole xD

You're not wrong though. There isn't a good image or video editor on Linux that can compete with osx or windows.

Linux does have other uses though

It is really sad though, that linux desktops arent made for normies. Only IT, math and scientific related stuff can be really good made on linux

Linux has a lot of lean software that gets shit done, which is what I really like about it.

You try finding a dead simple video editor on windows to trim, resize and convert videos with nothing else on top, you end up in a sea of adware, shareware, unsupported, poorly performing garbage software.

On GNU/Linux, there's like three or five alternatives, and one of them undoubtedly will be what you're looking for and JEST WERK.

Windows has a large enough userbase of Tech illiterates that a quick Google Search will solve that for you.

On Linux everyone pretends to know everything and end up fighting over which software is better and no one gets anywhere.
If you don't believe me, just post "Solus" in any Linux thread.

don't go to Sup Forums for tech support, I've had just as much luck googling bugs in Linux than I have in Windows

I am of the opinion that Ubuntu/Mint are easier for normies they just don't know it. If all you're doing with a PC is using email and looking at webpages Linux is way better than Windows

I have a 10 year old nephew I wouldn't trust him with a Windows machine because he'd load it up with adware in a week

show me any "normie's" Windows PC and I'll show you all the bullshit he's unwittingly added to his system

I know. That's why I installed Solus for my mom. All she does is email, YouTube, and facebook.

I myself use Ubuntu mate on a laptop, Solus on my HTPC, and Windows 10 for my gaming pc.

I can definitely see windows 10 being easier to fuck up than something like Ubuntu for the tech illiterates though.

Tfw running a squeaky clean, 1gb idle install of Windows 7 since 2009.

It's a special kind of good feel, man.

>I've had just as much luck googling bugs in Linux than I have in Windows
Fairly new linux user here. Just wanted to chime in and say that my experience troubleshooting problems has been very straightforward so far.
Almost without exception it's just been
>put these commands in terminal
>fix'd

not op but why not Kubuntu? is KDE really that bad?

KDE is actually pretty good if you can get past the bloat. But I found Kubuntu itself to be extremely buggy, to the point of unusability. I only tried it on a VM, though, so maybe other anons had different experiences.

I had issues with it. Went back to 17.3

How about debian?

Also mint is secure. Just goggle how to harden it.

>provides good reasons to not touch mint
>kys
I just wish people here learned how to discuss rather than just call names.

>63 replies
>downloading a linux distro
>last month 49,001 according to distrowatch

What kind of issues?

KDE has great things. But with KDE 5 they decided to practically rework everything from the ground up, causing instability. KDE Neon should be good though. But that takes more effort setting up, because it doesn't automatically install wifi drivers, and the like, so you might want to have an Android phone nearby for tethering until you have set up your drivers or have installed software-properties-gtk.
Basically Kubuntu can be a bit of a trade-off. It can work fantastically for some people, willing to configure it a bit. Whereas Ubuntu Desktop is much more ready out of the box (except for mouse acceleration and the Amazon icon).

I really would discourage anybody from using Kubuntu... it's like Windows 8 level annoying and shitty

I don't know if it's KDE bc that's the only distro I've used KDE with. But I've used Unity, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Mint Cinnamon and they all blow Kubuntu out of the water besides Unity

I don't have the verbal skills to put a finger on it, it just feels "spongy", buggy, unintuitive, obtrusive

i like to not notice my de, KDE seemed "in your face" and made me want to go back to Windows 7 desu

Cinnamon is the best of all those DE's in my opinion, that's why I use Mint now on my main computer

>any advice/tips?
undervolt your GPU

>and they all blow Kubuntu out of the water besides Unity
I only just installed normal Ubuntu on a spare X220. It seems good so far. Except for weird ad thing. What made you prefer XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, and KDE over Unity?

used to windows, hate having a dock that's literally the only problem I had with Unity, feels like a mac

If you're used to Windows, you might want to give LXDE a try in a VM or something. It's reminiscent of Windows, only blazing fast.
Personally GNOME 3 is my go-to. But actually quite liking this dock part of Unity.

Just go back to good old Windows. You will feel like you are at home when you do. Linux is just a hobby. You will like it at first because it is different but you will run into obstacles. You will seek help to resolve issues and sometimes get help. But why install Linux Mint when Windows is already what you want Linux Mint to be?

I am exactly the same. used to run kubuntu on my x220 but my god was it fucking buggy as shit, regular error and crashes, so switched to Gnome instead, much happier now.