/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/thread/S52398752
mi.com/earphonepro/
tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/
tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>actually wearing ear fedoras

Here is best girl

maki again? are you the same person?

Any good deals right now or is it shitty this year like Friday?

My memeheisers came in the mail today.

HD 600 and 650 are still on good prices at amazon, but nothing ground shattering

Yes. He spams maki across Sup Forums because he's autistic about his waifu.

This is old news...

any good amps for the 712? Maybe even one on sale...

>not using headphones

>Budget
50 euro
>Location
EU
>Source
iPhone, laptop
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
planning to use them 1-2 hours a day
>Sound signature
Neutral. Maybe more lows and less highs. I'm treble sensetive.
>Past headphones
none

>he doesn't sit in public places and blast music and youtube videos on his phone's shitty little speaker

should i be boosting 2-6kHz by EQ? it seems like most headphones roll off in that range before rising again in the 8-10kHz range.

>his phone's shitty little speaker
My phone has a great speaker. Apologize!

>he uses snapchat

>he doesn´t use snapchat

closed ones?

This is how my eq looks like, who cares

Out of my price range unfortunately. Man I wish I got the 598's last year when they were $100, this year sucks.

For /hpg/ OPs, yes. Plenty of time for someone to make a new thread again though. I waited the last one to drop down to page 10 after bump limit before making a new one. Searched the picture from archives like a true autist, the first Maki OP we had:

rbt.asia/g/thread/S52398752

I never do that.

That area often emphasizes perceived clarity if you boost it. For some headphones it might do good, for others it might not. I recommend doing this by ear with the help of sine sweeps and perhaps double checking measurements. Pic related is how mine looks like.

Just got some Sony MDR-V6s and they sound decent when you turn down those crazy highs of theirs with an equalizer

Are Sony MDR-v6 good headphones to buy considering the budget?

>rbt.asia/g/thread/S52398752

Don´t worry OP i like Maki too

Go back to you fat autist

yes

Are Superlux HD668B's all they're cracked up to be? I'm a poor fuck and want to splurge on halfway decent headphones

AD900X vs R70X?

Is the r70x worth the $100+ more?
Will be used with an E10k and i get the r70xs for $260 using my employee discount

Looking for non-annoying highs and a decent low end

Just got these. Did I get meme'd?

Other than needing new pads, they're pretty good. Also look into Samson SR850's, they have a better headband and velour pads though they sound the same with maybe a touch more bass.

Meme'd?
Yes [X]
No [ ]

Depends

Do you like tight punchy bass?

rip

I don't like too much bass for long periods no.

No

Is this graph accurate at all?

DT250 vs MSR7 ???

Looking for some good neutral shit under 300, no amp.

msr7

Get a K702, which slightly boosts exactly those frequencies. It delivers excellent detail and instruments' separation.

Are there any wireless iems with good sound quality or nah

No. They are not bad for the price but be careful they don't feel very durable

>I don't like too much bass for long periods no.
No you fucking retard, you got memed and you don't even know why

Go kill yourself

Are piston 3s going permanently out of stock or something? They're gone on amazon and most other sites. Does someone know xiaomi's plans, and is there a better value earbud yet?

They're not bassy wtf are you talking about

>Does someone know xiaomi's plans
mi.com/earphonepro/

Don't buy memes.

Should I get akg k240s for $75 or ath-m40x for $116? Currently using akg k142s. Not doing much more than listening to music/general use. Any advice?

THE FUCKING 598s HAS NO FUCKING BASS

AT ALL

YOU MORON KEK

THEY HAVE NO PUNCH

NO OOMPH

NO NOTHING

THEY FUCKING SUCK COCK

ALL THEY HAVE IS SOUNDSTAGE AND THEY GET OUTCLASSED BY FUCKING EVERYTHING OPEN

FUCK YOU

Would you mind elaborating, good gentleman?

I'm not looking for the most neutral

they're completely different headphones: K240 is semi-open and it's meant for home usage, whereas m40x is closed and it's a portable headphone.

Then if you want a bassy sound, get a Fidelio X2, which is both cheaper and better than those two.

Calm down

Not even mad bro

>Then if you want a bassy sound, get a Fidelio X2, which is both cheaper and better than those two.
I'm not looking for V shaped either

That's uh, quite pretentious and artistic

I think since I often lie in bed with my earbuds in I'm still gonna go for the smaller piston 3 (or do you know if the sound quality is impressively better?)

So for someone who doesn't walk around listening to cans the akg would probably be a better purchase right? I've been happy with my current ones but they sit on the ears and it hurts after a while.

That's exactly what I said but open headphones are cancer

Why the fuck do you want people to hear your stuff

Anyways 598Cs is not that bad quite memeing

I fucking hate memes

then what are you looking for? Between K712 and HD650, HD650 is easily the best.

For home usage, K240 are immensely better than m40x, unless you need isolation from outside noise. K240 are also much more comfortable than your AKG, because K240 are over-ear headphones, whereas your AKG are on-ear headphones. M40X, like most Audio Technica, aren't really the epithome of comfort.

I love my HD600 but there is one small problem. Part that rotates left ear got a bit stiff and not as smooth as the right one. If I push metal part with force into the plastic 'rotator', marked red on pic, it is back to normal smooth rotation. Anyway to fix that? Maybe oil it up, I don't think I can disassemble this part.

>then what are you looking for? Between K712 and HD650, HD650 is easily the best.

I'm looking at those two right now. Why do you say the 650 is better? Is that graph proper representation of both's sound?

Ok thanks for the advice! The price is a lot better too so I just needed that little push.

something a bit different:
>strictly up to 200euros
>eu
>computer
>full sized I guess?
>I think closed might be more suitable (because noisy office) but I'm not against open
>comfort is an absolute MUST. I need to wear these at work up to 8 hrs a day.
>I dunno, I need advice on this. I do translation work with long interviews, so the most important thing for me is that human voice sounds as clear as possible. Might also use them for some music listening but that's not their main purpose.
>some Bose OE with godawful bass that are uncomfortable as hell, irrelevant anyways
I wore the Boses for 7 hrs straight the other day and they killed my ears, wanted to set that shit on fire. I need something better.

That graph isn't very accurate, but you won't find more accurate graphs elsewhere anyways. HD650 is better because its sound is more balanced: K712 has overwhelming bass, recessed upper mids and harsher treble peaks than the other cheaper open AKG models.

The HD600 are built just the same as a $10 headset from best buy

well, you might need an amp for the DT250

they haven´t change the materials since their launch, right? is this needed for it to be neutral?

well they are 15 years old so if it ain't broke and whatnot

> HD600
> neutral
I wonder when this meme will end.

My friend wants a headset for Christmas and insists that he really wants a headset, not a mic/headphone combination.

Would you all recommend the HyperX Cloud II or the HyperX Cloud Revolver?

I've been looking at a headset/mic combination for myself (more for music than gaming) and I'm wondering what you all would recommend.

>Budget
I have up to $300 to work with including mic/potential amp.

>Location
I'm shipping to the US.

>Source
I have a dedicated soundcard that I received secondhand (Xonar Essence STX II), though from what I understand it's no substitute for an amp.

>Type of headphone
I definitely want over-ear headphones.

>Open or closed
I think I prefer closed since I live with another person, but I've never worn open headphones and don't know how much sound leakage there really is. The idea of the soundstage available with open headphones hugely appeals to me. Would it bother someone sleeping nearby if I had the volume at a reasonable level? What about someone a room over?

>Comfort level
Comfort is important to me, but build quality and sound quality are more important to me. Things like the m40x don't even sound worth it due to the potential for skull-crushing clamp, but I think I could be convinced. Portability is completely unimportant, so giant squishy cans that can't fold at all are a-ok.

>Sound signature
A neutral sound is the most appealing to me, but a bit of a v-shape doesn't sound like it would be awful. I'm using these just for listening. A fatiguing treble sounds like something I would most certainly not enjoy.

I listen mainly to various flavors of electronic music, noise, and drone.

>Past headphones
Shitty headsets and cheap earbuds. Probably anything would be an upgrade, but I'd rather get the most for my money.

I know this isn't really the right place to ask about mics, but if anyone can tell me a bit about the Antlion and V-Moda Boompro mics/pros and cons of desktop mics, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

How memed did I get with the 598Cs? Currently have ATH M50 and I'm hoping they are not a downgrade.

My previous senns didn't break in sligtes after 3 years. HD600 don't feel like a mega premium build but they sounds so good I don't care. I would love to replace body tho.

>budget:
£300
>location
EU
>source
mostly home computer but will likely use them with iPhone for long commutes if I ever decide to start commuting
>type of headphone
over ear, on ear are actually painful and I don't know how or why people use them
>open or closed
either
>comfort level
planning to use them for 3-5 hours a day, more sometimes
>sound signature
I'm retarded and don't know what I want. but I mostly listen to alt rock and rap
>past headphones
sennheiser 461s that I impulse bought with my first paycheck from work

This list is objectively true and anyone who disagrees is just a contrarian faggot

HyperX Cloud is the only decent headset in production now, but a combo of HD558 + Antlion Modmic would be easily within your budget and would easily throw HyperX out of the window. I have an Antlion ModMic 4.0 Unirectional on my K702, but I've nothing to regret. It's a great accessory for its price.

HD598C are worse than HD598, which is one of the worst open headphones Sennheiser has ever produced. It's pretty sad to see how many people took the bait simply because of the brand's reputation.

I feel like Headfi might be a better place for you.

>HD598, which is one of the worst open headphones Sennheiser has ever produced. It's pretty sad to see how many people took the bait simply because of the brand's reputation.
How does the HD 598 compare to say, the AKG K712. Justify your statement with this example faggot.

Just dropped from $109 to $98 on Amazon for anyone interested.

> how does a shit headphone compare to an utter-shit headphone?
Nice logic.

>Budget

Less than $200 ($150-180 would be the sweet spot)

>Location

South America (will order from Amazon)

>Source

My PC for games mostly, phone for music.

>Type of headphone

Full sized.

>Open or closed

Open.

>Comfort level

Something I can wear for multiple hours at a time.

>Sound signature

neutral preferred

>Past headphones

lots of random gamer stuff that isnt really good

Help? Preferably something that doesn't need a dac/amp to drive.

I'd rather spend $200 on a DT880 than $50 for that shit. DT990 is easily one of the worst headphones Beyerdynamics ever made.

>Everything is shit
OK faggot name a single good headphone or kys immediately.

>nigga bass
No thanks

I'm still using the Monoprice ones I bought when they became popular on Sup Forums a few years back. I've yet to have an issue with that and despite the cheap plastic, it hasn't even cracked or anything. I'd buy again.

reposting
on my short list atm are T50RP, fidelio X2, hd600/650, DT880 600Ohm, custom one pro, and fischer fa-011
if you think any of these are what i'm looking for or have anything to add i'd appreciate it

>Budget
I don't have a hard budget. Most of the recs I've seen are in the ~$200 range but for the right sound I'd be willing to go up around $500 with amp if necessary.

>Location
USA USA USA

>Source
Onboard PC sound/Phone/Sansa Clip+ but I'm looking at desktop amps.

>Type of Headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
No preference, I'm just using them at home so I don't need isolation

>Comfort level
I do most of my listening on M-Audio Q40's which are uncomfortable as shit even with 840 pads, so comfort would be a bonus.

>Sound Signature
I'm pretty treble sensitive so neutral with possibly a slight bass focus, I think. I like strong mids and not-too-recessed highs and great bass/sub-bass when called for, but I want the bass to retreat rather than take over when going from electronic music to something more detail oriented like jazz or orchestrations.

>Past headphones
Prodipe Pro800, M-Audio Q40, Sony ZX700, Senn HD 598Se. I love the separation and clarity of the more neutral phones, especially the soundstage of the 598, for about 75% of what I listen to. But I find the complete lack of 598 sub bass unsatisfying even on less aggressive tracks, and sometimes I just want to crank some grimy soundcloud beats and destroy my noggin with bass. The Q40 are fun as shit but offer zero nuance so I'm constantly switching between the 598 and Q40, with neither being absolutely perfect for me even still.

Nice durable headphones for the gym with above average sound quality? Preferably nothing over 200AUD

K240, HD558, K612 Pro, K701/K702/Q701, HD600/HD650, DT880.

Do you want something neutral or something with nigga bass

>budget:
60€-80€
>location
EU/Germany
>source
Gaming at home and music to go on my phone
>type of headphone
overear
>open or closed
Doesn't matter
>comfort level
I plan to use them for 2 hours per session
>past headphones
Razer Electra so anything would be better because I don't like the design. The sound is pretty good tho

>598's are shit
>558's are good
They're the same thing you memeing fuck

Used AKG K514 MKII for 20 euro. Cop or not?

You really are retarded.

>K702 is better than K712
KYS
>HD558 > HD598
What the fuck

Probably more towards the nigger bass side

HD558 has better bass and clarity, while being cheaper than HD598.

K240

HD650, even though it may not be as bright and clear ad you want it to be.
DT880 600 Ohm are one of the few open headphones having good sub-bass, but its highs may be too violent for you. Fidelio X2 has overwhelming mid-bass and weak sub-bass. You may want to look also into AKG K612 Pro: it's much cheaper than the headphones you're looking for, but it's a great value for its money. It may suit your tastes quite well imo.

>mum rings me up and asks me to come help her buy some headphones for brother in law
>come round and she's half way to purchasing some beats because they had the liverpool logo on
>spend like an hour trying to convince her to look around at other headphones and that there's no point reading amazon reviews
>find out today that she just went ahead and bought some bose earbuds purely because they were reduced from£80 to £40

For gym you're going to have to get one of those inner ear headpones to be honest

>meme

how are they not neutral?

how do i know what amp would be sufficient for powering a given set of headphones?
for example, i want to buy fostex t50rp but i have no amp, and don't know what to buy. or, i don't know if building something like tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/ or tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta2/ would be enough
any help??

dude you just posted my wallpaper

Any suggestions of which ones?

What headphones would he use?

Rolled-off sub-bass, boosted mid-bass and low mids, recessed upper mids, peak at 3 kHz.
Yeah, how can't it be neutral?

re-400s are 49 usd on amazon. is this the best iem deal out there today?

beats

and what headphone is neutral then?