If desktop Linux is so good, why has it never achieved anything beyond a 1% installation base?

If desktop Linux is so good, why has it never achieved anything beyond a 1% installation base?

Other urls found in this thread:

susestudio.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's not that good.

Because people were too busy installing microwave ovens and doing custom kitchen delivery.
[spoiler]it's a reference, you uncultured faggots[/spoiler]

Because nobody takes our advice and installs gentoo

Holy shit, this guy is so cultured he can recognize pop music from 3 whole decades ago!

Lies and slander
it's at 2% now

Most people are just too fucking stupid to use it. It doesn't take a genius to install Debian and make it just work. It really only requires an IQ of around 90. So if you're smarter than a fucking chimp or a nigger, using GNU/Linux should be easy. Let us compare Mac OS X and Ubuntu. Both have a shitty dock. Both have horrible animations. Both have terrible window button placement. Both are made by evil companies. Both have a shitty app store, but to this day there are retards who bitch about needing the command line to install packages. Why is that? Probably because on Ubuntu the app store is called Software Center. How hard is it to just look through all applications and find the stupid app store? Even if you don't know the name of the application you can just click and scroll. The damn thing is on the launcher by default. Normalfags are just pathetic retards. Too stupid to do any kind of research. I bet you also think it's just Android and iOS, don't you, dumbass?

This tbqh. Anyone struggling with a Debian-based distro should consider taking a cognitive ability test.

Here's the problem with you and the Linux community as a whole. You already sound like you've got your head up your own ass saying 'hurr only le smart people can use linux.'

The reason Linux has a 1% install base is because only 1% of PC users have as little of a life as Linux users do to configure and worry about the most autistic things. Most people simply just don't give a fuck about the things you Linuxfags hold so near and dear to your heart.

And as usual they're the most asinine, stupid things to worry about but because we're on Sup Forums if you're not as autistic as the rest of us then you're literally retarded.

it's no better than windows or osx

>Most people simply just don't give a fuck
yet you give a fuck enough to create a thread and shitpost. shill go home.

>iot routers gps tablets cars cellphones set top boxes nas servers don't count because we couldn't penetrate the market guys. only the receding desktop market matters!

Not OP and who did I shill for? I didn't mention Windows or Mac.

Just keep on being the most insufferable community friend. Don't worry, no one will ruin your secret 1% club.

>hurr only le smart people can use linux
I really overestimated you, didn't I? I apologize. I feel really bad for making fun of a disabled person. I only take 20 minutes a week to do updates, but you take as long as you need, special friend.

not all software is found in the repo.

>A tool requires reading comprehension and basic logic.
>Hurr you are being elitist.
t. Tyroone.

Excuse me, dear cultured Sir, wouldst thou have the grace to bestow upon me knowledge concerning this clever reference?

sure thing buddy, keep parroting that whole 1% meme while meanwhile every website you visit is powered it, and the router you use to shitpost to said websites too :^)

Music video for Dire Straits - Money for Nothing.

>Implying someone who felt attacked when people brought basic mental requirements to use a tool knows what a router or a server is.
Let negros be negros.

The reason people don't use Linux is because it doesn't come installed default on any (or very few) PCs.

Unix learning curve

You mean using Debian on my host for VMs just because it's ludicrously stable and supports my data integrity needs?

Most people have basic to no English skills and translated doc is, if existent, poorly translated and/or out-of-date.

>I'll call him a nigger I guess!

Ya got me!

>nigger detected

It's beyond that now.
ie. ChromeOS. (ie. ChromeOS is built off Gentoo)

>Triggered

Dubs of truth

PRAISE HIM!

>make comp for parent
>install Debian with cinnamon
>install chrome bc its what they know

0 problems 0 phone calls
Also, because Applel wrote CUPS, adding printers also just werks so they don't have any problems

>ChromeOS built off Gentoo
>Literally an OS built for 4th graders

gentoo fags btfo

FUD

>It's beyond that now.
>ie. ChromeOS. (ie. ChromeOS is built off Gentoo)
heh

we finally tricked those fucking normies into install gentoo

our meme magick finally worked

Desktop Linux sucks. I only have it installed because I want to program and learn sysadmin.

>Most people are just too fucking stupid to use it.
On the contrary it's just too shitty. Developers with skills are fragmented amongst the various distributions almost purely for political reasons. It's ridiculous. So with Linux you can either have well thought out software with a totally garbage interface, or you can have a well thought interface masking generally shit software. Perhaps if there was some unified entity intent on bringing Linux to the mainstream, we'd have something good, but alas they'd rather argue about stupid political shit.

99% of the human race is retarded

>if you don't like what I do then you must be retarded

You need to thank the FSF lead by your lovely Jewish friend RMS for that.

I don't get why people ask this question, its like asking why such a low % of people install a custom android rom, for them it just werks.

People use smartphones. Consumers are idiots.

I don't support or care about either of those things.

Why would I spend my money for nothing of value

Consumer electronics come prepackaged with Windows, MacOS and Chrome OS. Linux doesn't have a chance until it has something on the market.

>yeah I like being a literal faggot/cuck

>using windows 10
that's what your problem is. windows 7 and back is just fine.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux is a kernel, not a desktop environment.

That ain't workin,
That's the way you do it
You're running Linux on your new PC

>desktop Linux
there's your problem. learn to computer

i've been away for a while Sup Forums. thanks for welcoming me back with familiar memes

yea, pretty sure everyone has seen that music video, m8y

good != popular

>implying Sup Forums b8posters can understand it.

>implying all of us are neet.
Pic related.

>implying we would have the same manpower if Linux would be in a cathedral development model
Look at this link:
susestudio.com/
Most distros are on this level, just settings, custom scripts and rice.
Most are debian/ubuntu based with changed package set. If i make my own distro with suse studio, what kind of skills i wasted that you or other can use? Ricing? Set up codecs? This meme will never die as the "1%" share.

that song was playing when I bought my laptop

Did you know they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese a Royale With Cheese in France? Didn't think so. I'm quite cosmopolitan.

yeah, this is pretty much it.

Who cares, desktop's dead anyways.

Muh corporate workstation will never die. It would be fun to see the fallen of microsoft to the current ibm level.

Because its a shit os, that simple

mark's guitar skills are phenomenal.

Just kidding. I would suck rms dick and lick the toejam from his feet. :)

GUYS IF PARTICLE PHYSICS IS SO GOOD WHY DOES LESS THAN 1% OF THE POPULATION STUDY IT?

SMART PEOPLE BTFO

BUSINESS DEGREE MASTER RACE HUEHUEHUE

Because all computers except Macs came with windows preinstalled and 99% feels no reason to switch to anything else, or even if somthing is not like they want think there is no alternative.
This lead to almost all commercial software being developed for windows, hence even if you know about linux chances are there is some piece of software you need for work that does not exist for linux.

The OS itself is not flawed, but is limited due to this.
Actually, it's perfectly fine as a home OS, but most don't even know about it.

This

>most people can't install a system clicking next>next and install software from a software center like in a fucking smartphone

sure pajeet

Because people don't care.
It's not even about ease of use or anything, a regular user has more problems with his Windows install than a beginner arch user, they just don't care.
They don't care so hard that they don't even have any idea what's all that shit before Chrome is running.
You could probably induce lasting brain damage in them with a linux login prompt, hell maybe even with a display manager.
Sometimes I'm honestly curious about how technologically impaired people see the world.

The guy being reasonable being ignored in favour of shitposting.
Classic Sup Forums

FUCKING FAGGOTS ON THE EM

TEE

VEE

Cultural Marxism and degeneration

Linux will command more of an installation base but only when eugenics becomes a thing.

What difference does it make what shade of brown the shit is, linux is still bloated shit just like windows and osx.

>So good

For things that the vast majority of people on desktop computers care about, it's not "so good".

>almost no games compared to windows/OSX
>less mainstream software available
>shit like screen tearing is still an issue in current year
>"what's a sudo, why do I need to use this cmd looking thing ", etc.

If you're in academia, chances are there's software written specifically for linux, where it runs faster and more efficient than on windows. But that's not mainstream, so there you have it.

Developers have made a great deal of work to help install Linux for mere mortals, still it’s a hell sometimes, even so called ‘beginners friendly’ distributions.

WE GOTTA INSTALL MICROWAVE OVENS

>White nationalists being forced to choose an OS based around the philosophy of a communist atheist jew
How unfortunate

Well, my father told me about pop culture references too, like other things that aren't from the 80's

The reason is pretty simple and it's called marketing.

Because Solus was not out back then.
2017 is the year of desktop Linux, thanks to our lord and saviour solus.

That's fine 99% of PC desktop users operate their systems at a 4th grade level.

ChromeOS is just about perfect for the majority of users.

Software communism is a thing

99% of everything is shit. Sturgeon's law.
Linux is the other 1%.

>dadrock
>culture
About as cultural as my cumrag

>It really only requires an IQ of around 90
>You already sound like you've got your head up your own ass saying 'hurr only le smart people can use linux.'

>mcdonalds is the best restaurant
>justin bieber is the best musical act
>dan brown is the best author
>toyota camry is the best car
>china is the best country
>christianity is the best form of belief
etc

>Linux is the other 1%.
lol

Jiff not gif

>country music
>culture

Woah, it's like I'm back in 2008 again!

GIF = Hard G friendo.

Nope

Sure, there are a lot of simple settings and rice distros, but there are dozens of those that aren't that. Even Debian and Ubuntu showcase exactly what I was talking about. Two things separate purely for political reasons. Maybe if they were together and had a unified vision, they could get somewhere.

thats pronounced GahNew/Leenux

in this post is the underlying reason why people don't use a linux distro. it's simply an OS that people too insecure about their intelligence use. I mean the loser didn't explain a simple reason to even install the damn thing. the fact is that there is no GOOD reason to install a distro. most programs run on Windows and MacOSX. the whole philosophy is communist as fuck. it's a done deal that is basically reserved at this point for hobbyists and nothing more.

>didn't explain a simple reason to even install the damn thing
give me a reason to use windows that /doesn't/ involve reasons why /you/ use windows

>give me a reason to use windows that /doesn't/ involve reasons why /you/ use windows
What?

There are reasons to use Windows and it comes in the form of software unavailable elsewhere.