/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition
head-fi.org/products/audiophile-products-fubar-iv-plus-silver-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11402
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sennheiser HD600 vs Hifiman he-400s. Who and why?

Neither of those are a K702

I prefer HD 600 for comfort and for flatter response.

What TH-X00 is the best TH-X00, Mahogany, Ebony, or Purpleheart?

K712 or HD650?

K702 is cheaper and better than the K712, stop asking about that thing

WTF WHY ARE THERE SKELETON IN MY HEADPHONE??

What makes the k702 better? They don't look that different.

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf

to people who listen to edm, get hifiman orthodynamic headphones

Thing is they don't, the only difference is the K702 is a great deal cheaper for roughly the same sound

I was close to getting them but for me HD600 sounded softer and more 'natural' and I knew I could listen to them all day without getting tired. If I go crazy and start buying different headphones I will definitely get some of the AKG, they basically have everything I would wish HD600 to have.

Now the real questions is, what headphones have good qualities of both HD600 and K702.

If you want the cheapest possible then get the K7XX

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition

memes

Post from last thread. Pls respond

K553 pro

How meme'd did I get? Is it at least an upgrade from my current M50s? They won't arrive till thursday.

>Preferably less than $300. $400 max.
>United States
>Source: My PC
>Prefer over-ear
>Open
>Comfortable enough to wear for 8-12 hour periods
>Not sure what sound signature I would like as I haven't owned many pairs of headphones. Guess I would prefer neutral.
>Current headphones are Panasonic HTF600's

I am so fucking tired of seeing the word meme associated with it

Yes it is a straight up upgrade, it is roughly on par with the m40x but feels better to wear

I ordered

Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250

For $100, did i do good or are those headphones shit

well if you dont like the term "meme" just think of"bad choice" when you see it

Neutral: MDR-7506
Warm: XPT100

It's not neutral nor warm, it is very inconsistent with seal so you don't even know what it is when someone wears it. It's a headphone that requires you to test it before saying if you like the sound signature because it is anything from bright nobass to V-shaped.

How about muffled shit instead of meme?

That's a great price.

Any replacement recommendations for my Jaybird SB1 Sportsband? Loved them but the battery got old. They are water resistant and I can only find earbuds as the next best thing. Took it apart and I can't find the same battery online.

Thanks

There is a generic brand of these that I forget the name of. Around $30. Might buy that and take the battery out to fix mine.

(reposting)
>strictly up to 200euros
>eu
>computer
>full sized I guess?
>I think closed might be more suitable (because noisy office) but I'm not against open
>comfort is an absolute MUST. I need to wear these at work up to 8 hrs a day.
>I dunno, I need advice on this. I do translation work with long interviews, so the most important thing for me is that human voice sounds as clear as possible. Might also use them for some music listening but that's not their main purpose.
>some Bose OE with godawful bass that are uncomfortable as hell, irrelevant anyways
I wore the Boses for 7 hrs straight the other day and they killed my ears, wanted to set that shit on fire. I need something better.
anyone?

>Budget
50-100€
>Location
Spain
>Source
PC, Smartphone and MP3
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
-
>Comfort level
-
>Sound signature
bass boosted
>Past headphones
Piston v2 and v3 (both broken)

how about people just stop saying fucking stupid shit and say 'bad choice' to start with

>Complaining about what others say on Sup Forums
W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

Sennheiser HD 4.30G

HD 558 and all the other similar models, I have 558, they're extremely comfortable, I can sit with them the whole day without any discomfort, only on summer it gets kinda hot and sweaty under them
con is that they're open, which might be horrible in workplace

thanks for the input, I'll look into them, but I have a feeling closed might be a better choice. Been looking at ath m50x and sony mdr 7506

why orthodynamic?

Well there are the HD598CS or CE something like that that was popular this black friday sale, for 100 I think, but I'm not sure how good they should be on sound, since they were meant to be open back, but are closed, although probably sennheiser didn't do anything too stupid, the comfort should be the same as they all use the same design. That design is famous for being extremely comfortable, when I tried to ask here for more comfortable headphones, no one really answered anything else

Oh hey, just what I was looking for. Very nice general thread.

>Budget: 500-700usd but I can stretch to 900ish if that range has some amazing choices.
>Location: Sweden
>Source: PC to a Firestone Fubar IV
>Type of headphone: Over ear
>Open or closed: Either
>Comfort level: Don't mind comfortable ones.
>Sound signature: I prefer balanced, but if I had to choose it'd be the lows.

I've had a pair of Denon DH-2000 fora good while now, starting to fall apart and it's about time I went a step further.

Are HD 6xx as good as they sound, or are they just a meme
Also amp is definitely a must for them, right ?

Depends on what you want. The Massdrop price was great. Whether you need a new amplifier depends on what you have right now. They are a little bit insensitive so you might need something more powerful than motherboard codec. Might, I said. Better try it out with what you got before jumping into another purchase.

I mean are they really HD 650 but better, because for that price that would be very great
I have HD 558 atm, I use them from the computers motherboard that is old, even if I plan to upgrade to a newer motherboard, I doubt that would be enough for them

meant to reply

Ok so I bought these Sennheiser HD 201 because I wanted something cheap and now my laptop won't even recognize them.

They work fine on my phone, but not the fucking laptop. I know it's not busted because my previous headset still works. What's the deal?

are expensive headphones ever worth it?

depends on how much money you have

K702 is a lot different from K712: different drivers, different pads and different build.
IF graphs are bad, use HeadRoom instead (pic related). Compared to K702, K712 has massive and bloated bass, harsher treble peaks and worse dips.
K7XX is theoretically an improved K702: it has the same pads and structure as the K702 Anniversary, which offers better seal and a 3dB bass boost below 100 Hz compared to the K702. Actually, the sound differences between K7XX and K702 aren't as big as measurements suggest. K7XX is good for US citizens, for everyone lese K702/K701/Q701 are always ok.

>Now the real questions is, what headphones have good qualities of both HD600 and K702.
None. Either you boost 2 khz and 6 khz in order to obtain better clarity (like K702 does), or you decrease those frequencies and make music veiled (like HD600 does). Period.

Below €350? Absolutely yes.
Above €350? Not really.

Those all seem a little large and cumbersome for traveling with. Maybe better for using at home.

Anything a little cheaper and less bulky?

HD800

I'm curious about what "good" headphones sound like if the K712 are shit, looks like some people absolutely hate the K712. I've had the K712 for like a month and i like it a lot. I considered HD 600 and HD 650 but they are 50€/100€ more expensive respectively.

shame none of my friends have those so i could try them out

>I've had the K712 for like a month and i like it a lot
It means that you like a V-shaped sound. Period.
The best headphones are neutral, which means that they sound more balanced.

How about Sony MDRXB400 or Koss Porta Pro? Are they any good?

M40x are the golden standard; compared to the M50x they dont have nigger bass (boomy bass) and non piercing highs, more detail. The Sonys are more analytical.

Hifiman 560

I can't really say what sound i like since i've tried 2 headphones in my whole life lol... Had Superlux 668B before these and when i had them i thought they sounded good. Now they sound garbage because i've used K712

My phone drives HD 650s quite nicely. It's not guaranteed that you need/don't need an amplifier.

Could you try asking something more subjective? Oh wait you can't.

Fug, meant for

HE-560 is a solid recommendation.

Im searching Headphones 4 my girlfriend. She never had decent ones.
>Budget
100€
>Location
Germany
>Source
Smartphone, Notebook ect.
>Type of headphone
On ear or over ear i guess
>Open or closed
I think closed, for use in public or even libary.
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Even, maybe warm
>Past headphones
Shit

Anyone?

just arrived my new memhaiser 598cs
the comfort is really good

Wowee, those are some luxury headphones.
How come the impedance is so low though?

Ah yes I remember these when looking before, still this expensice huh.

Thanks guys.

they still require a lot of power even though their impedance is low, probably like 10 times more than headphones like HD 600/650

Considering the Fubaf IV can drive heavy headphones, I doubt it's worth using it with something like the two recommended headphones..?

according to this head-fi.org/products/audiophile-products-fubar-iv-plus-silver-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11402

the amp hisses with low impedance headphones, so something like hd800 would probably be better because it has high impedance

Thoughts on the HD800?

Has anyone ever used these Sony MDR-15 headphones from the 90s? My grandfather in law just gave me a box of electronic shit and this was in it. They don't have the pads but they look like they'll work.

>How come the impedance is so low though?
Because that's how the driver is designed, more precisely that's how the wiring on the diaphragm is laid out in shape, length and thickness. That's mostly what defines the impedance. Many planar magnetic headphones have relatively low impedance but can still be quite insensitive like HE-560. You shouldn't pay any attention to the impedance, really. It's not important here.

The specs of that I managed to find are very ambiguous. Power output isn't stated at all. It's hard to say how much power it has but given it is a discrete amplifier, it's safe to assume that it's decently powerful for most loads. HE-560 isn't the hardest one on the market, should work fine.

Excellent except for the stock FR. Very linear response, very tolerant of leak, very tolerant to positional changes on your head, low distortion, very good quality control and build(channel matching, construction), well extended response, replaceable parts, decent resale value and most people, me included, would consider it comfortable. It's a little insensitive, you might need an amplifier for a decent volume and use parametric equalizer to tune the sound signature. Looking past those issues it's one of the best headphones on the market, imo. Without the aid of equalization, it's a little bright and harsh. Not extremely so but depending on what are you used to, it could be unpleasant. Trivial problem if you have PEQ.

AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm?

For listening to classical, blues, jazz and classic rock.

Or perhaps another sub-$200 headphone?

880 no competition

As someone who owned the 702 and just wanted more bass, I guess the 712 are a really good choice.

Can't believe I would see these on here,
much less I'd be able to answer this.

Yes. For what they were and are worth, good soundstage. That MEGABASS is definitely there but pretty muddy. Highs and mids are nice and clear though.

I'm reposting this from the last thread! I got some solid advice previously, but I'm wondering more and more if an open back headset is worth it. I don't want to make others living in my house miserable.

>Budget
I have up to $300 to work with including mic/potential amp.

>Location
I'm shipping to the US.

>Source
I have a dedicated soundcard that I received secondhand (Xonar Essence STX II), though from what I understand it's no substitute for an amp.

>Type of headphone
I definitely want over-ear headphones.

>Open or closed
I think I prefer closed since I live with another person, but I've never worn open headphones and don't know how much sound leakage there really is. Would it bother someone sleeping nearby if I had the volume at a reasonable level? What about someone a room over?

>Comfort level
Comfort is important to me, but build quality and sound quality are more important to me. Things like the m40x don't even sound worth it due to the potential for skull-crushing clamp, but I think I could be convinced. Portability is completely unimportant, so giant squishy cans that can't fold at all are a-ok.

>Sound signature
A neutral sound is the most appealing to me, but a bit of a v-shape doesn't sound like it would be awful. I'm using these just for listening. A fatiguing treble sounds like something I would most certainly not enjoy.

I listen mainly to various flavors of electronic music, noise, and drone.

>Past headphones
Shitty headsets and cheap earbuds. Probably anything would be an upgrade, but I'd rather get the most for my money.

>Some headphones I am considering
HD558
MSR7
Fidelio X2
K702

What would be a good portable DAC/amp for the DT880s?

Buying it as a present for someone who travels so looking for a DAC/amp combo that is relatively light to carry in a laptop bag or backpack.

K712 on the way :D

Reposting from previous thread.

I'm looking at the sennheiser hd 599. I went to a store and put on some hd 559 and they just feel so comfy. is the hd 599 a good choice? I dont mind spending 50 bucks over the hd 598.

something like s schiit fulla or cheap fiio/smsl

The graph doesn't show the whole picture. The memory foam actually changes the way it sounds in the mids. Difficult to measure but the K712 sounds very much like the K702 but with some nigger bass added.

> HeadRoom
I highly doubt the K712 have the same ammount of bass as the DT990

Infinitely jelly of you fuckers.

how.

I've actually been looking at the Schiit Fulla but I was afraid it might not be able to drive them.

Is it powerful enough?

By the way, how do the ATH-M50x compare to the DT880s

My HD668B's wires broke once again so I decided to get another pair of headphones this month. What would be a good replacement? I prefer open and neutral ones (the superlux ones were pretty much perfect for the price)

an iphone is powerful enough for the 250ohm dt880

ath-m50x are garbage, they are not comparable.

It is broadly elevated. It's all relative and visually dependent on where the graph is normalized. DT990's most prominent area is the treble mountain anyway. It isn't that bassy.

OK, thanks.

anyone here tried ABX testing for transparency? just got 16/16 with 192kbps mp3 vs flac, 224kbps i couldn't hear a difference at all.

so the magic number for me is 200 something kbps apparently

I've owned the DT990 and to my hears they sounded very boomy and ear piercing. Two opposites fiercely clashing together while the mids were just sitting there like that unpopular kid no one talks to. Very unpleasant experience.

I've been trying to guess how the 712s sound like without acutally trying them. I've owned the 702s in the past and while I really liked them, the bass was very lean. Have no idea what store could have them for audition nor do I know anyone that could lend them to me.

If you like pain, DT880.
If you want accuracy for a little sacrifice in the bass region, K702.

If you really wanted to sacrifice a little detail for a warmer sound, you should have got the K612 PRO, which is arguably the best open AKG in production and one of the best open headphones as well.

Nah. K712 sounds still bloated compared to K702.

DT990 are horrible headphones and yes, K712 isn't much different actually.

I'm currently using a Lepai 2020 and some Klipsch speakers and I have a paid of HD558 I need to get setup with a headphone amp. The audio jack on my PC broke the other night so I was wondering how I could go about this I was looking into the Topping TP30 mk2 or the Audio engine D1 Would the topping be better to just replace the Lepai or should I keep the Lepai and pair it with the D1?

>If you really wanted to sacrifice a little detail for a warmer sound, you should have got the K612 PRO, which is arguably the best open AKG in production and one of the best open headphones as well.
I've also owned the K612 and they sounded terrible. Very anemic, very tinny

One more thing: the comparison between the K702 and the 250 ohm version of the DT880 isn't really fair. If you're interested into the DT880, get the 600 ohm version: it's much better.

Strange.

>Budget
25 dollars / 25 gbp
>Location
UK
>Source
nexus 5x
>Type of headphone
in-ear
>Open or closed
n/a
>Comfort level
dun curr but pls no ear hook thingy
>Sound signature
what
>Past headphones
xiaomi piston 3 (left side broke after dropping them)
sennheister cx300-II (fucking broke after 2 weeks of treating them nicely)

I got the 598 Cs from the sale, but I haven't opened them. I see a lot of conflicted views both ways.
The only good pair of headphones I have ever owned was Sony MDR-V6, and those broke last month. If I loved those, should I keep these or look for something new? I am a complete headphone novice, I just know I liked the MDR-V6.

I think analytical is exactly what I need. thanks for the advice

Anyone have these? How do they compare to the memeheisers? The DT 770?

Reviews say they're pretty good, even at the $300 pricepoint, and I can get them for 150 euros.

Dont listen to that cuck, the 612 is and always will be inferior to the K7 series

Pain? Can you elaborate on that?

They are better than both but the MDR 1r is the same as the MDR 1a minus a bit ob build quality but the MDR 1r is a lot cheaper last time i checked

>want Sennheiser momentum 2.0 on-ear wireless
>on sale for 50% off
>mom didn't buy them during cyber monday
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You people who use different pairs of headphones, do you ever get used to the difference in sound when you switch between them? I use a pair of on ear Bluetooth headphones when I'm not at my desktop which sound more flattening, not as detailed, doesn't have as much bass and as wide of a soundstage as my AKG K240's I use at my desktop so my AKGs sound like doody whenever I use them.

More like, why is that skull too small for that head? What, am I supposed to believe his chin skin is inches thick?

250 ohm version has more painful treble and it's more v-shaped than 600 ohm version

it's zeos selfie