I want to install a little server on my parents house since they have FTHH but I don't live here so the computer will...

I want to install a little server on my parents house since they have FTHH but I don't live here so the computer will be alone

Is bitlocker safe enough if you only want to avoid regular people accessing your computer?

Also I would need it to be able to "lock" the computer when I leave letting the computer work but requiring some password to do anything like when you leave a screensaver

I ask about bitlocker because I'm pretty sure TC can't do it

>server
>windows
install a GNU/Linux distro without xorg. no normalfag would know how to use that even if its unencrypted.

Sharing drives/management with loonix to windows is a pain

Since my time have actual value I can't be bothered to waste it with your xorgless autistic shit

easiest is to get a raspberry pi or somethink like that and installe debian with Samba share
and your parent's windows computer will acces throught smb protocol file.

> sharing drives
sudo apt-get install samba
> management
PuTTY

Get off my board, normie.

Yeah, I'm 500% sure a pi could handle 6 HGST drives and a 750/750 FTTH

okey so go buy a descend Dell server >

I already have the fucking server working, I just need a way to keep it away from people

Run it in headless mode and log out.

Anyone who turns on the monitor (or connects one) will be met with a 'login:' prompt.

If you're talking local, thats fucking pathetic.
sudo apt-get install ntfs3g
nano fstab

network
sudo apt-get install samba

to keep away
install linux encrypted and use a pi zero to type the passphrase for you

I want to manage the computer from my home
Share a drive to their android TV crap
And lock the computer so no one can access to it when I leave, I could just encrypt the drives so I need the computer to kill itself or something if you fail to unlock to require password to access to the drives again
I'm not buying a fucking pi

Why do you think your parents care enough about what you're doing to want to snoop around on your PC?

And are they technically inclined, or normie parents? If they are normies, just do this

Of course they don't, they are grandfathers with a lot of failed abortions included my own crawling their home from time to time and one of them might want to try to play LoL on my server

In that case, just put it in a small case in a closet or out of the way somewhere, with no keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and you should be fine.

I was going to do that that is why I need to manage it from my home

>hurr hurr why should I use a linux distro for my server?

Manage it with ssh.

Elaborate?

>install a GNU/Linux distro without xorg

Actual commercial servers are using ubuntu these days, no one gives a fuck about your autism

on server:
- install sshd
- make it start at startup

on remote client:
ssh [email protected]

Install gentoo

Ubuntu server comes without xorg, newfriend.

Buy a chink raspberry clone then. Like OrangePi zero, it even has lan port so oy can ssh ito it and then send a login command to your main server

windows pleb detected

This guy