How much ram is good?

How much ram is good?

Other urls found in this thread:

downloadmoreram.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

64Gb or 128Gb are the sweet spots but 32Gb and over is acceptable.

4 is all you need honestly, but 8 in some cases is needed.

Gb? Are you talking about the chips themselves or do you mean GB of the entire DIMM?

I've gotten by with 6GB for a couple of years. And by "gotten by" I mean "my RAM usage never exceeds 2GB so I could probably get away with 4GB".

If I was a gaymer or AV nerd then I'd spring for 16GB, maybe? Perhaps that's too much even for those use cases.

you can't play gta online for more than a few minutes with 8gb nowadays

I find 16GB to be plenty for my use case.

With 16GB I can:
- Spawn several VMs at 1/2GB of ram each
- Have a virtual RAM disk as download folder (fast extraction of downloaded archives and they go away when I shutdown)
- Use drawing/compositing software with big buffers and exaggerated undo stacks (but YMMV depending on workload)
- Compile even big piece of software without risking OOM (as above, YMMV)
And most importantly, all of the above at once while still having RAM space to spare.

>using a RAM disk for something so pedestrian

i'd say that 16GB is more than enough. 4GB in most cases, 8GB for more demanding times and 12GB for extreme cases. but 12GB looks bad
>said faggot wo has 64GB

>not using a RAM disk for something so pedestrian

4GB sucks now. It's not enough.

4 is not enough. 8 is mostly fine but 16 is best. anymore is overkill

What else can you do with a ramdisk?

shitposting 8gb
gamen 12gb
photoshop / after effects 32gb+

well, for an average user 4GB will be enough
but like i said: 16GB is optimal

>shitposting 8gb
What the fuck, user? 1 gigabyte is plenty if this is all you're going to do - in fact, I do a lot more with a gigabyte of RAM.

i had a good ram and a bad ram.
the bad ram was bad

Depends, if you just wanna browse the net, 4 is plenty. If you wanna fuck around with some programs and play some mid tier to high games, go for 8. If you just wanna have peace of mind and not have to worry about any single or dual task you are running (pothoshop), the just get 16 and forget it. You can always get 32 if you are a heavy user and needs to do a lot of shit, or if you want to show off.

4 isn't enough, so why not 8?

if you have enough tabs open it adds up

Average user is going to fill that 4gb with malware and adware though.

When I upgraded from 8 to 16gb there was a definite and noticeable difference, but the leap from 16 to 32 was not nearly as dramatic

but it's so cheap to upgrade even 4gb or ram. You don't want to bottleneck yourself from get-go, why not have a setup that's decently prepared for some intense programs?

I have 8 in my laptop and 16 in my desktop also at work.

you've got a point there

Touche.

I brought a 4 gb stick and then downloaded 12 more gigs of ram.

works sweet,

downloadmoreram.com/

1GB, desu.

You have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, or else bloat becomes acceptable.

for gaming 8gb
if you run server(s) on your main computer 8gb
if you use google chrome 2tb
for anything else 4gb